Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    @coling - sounds good looking fwd to the video!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Thanks!
    I went this route - http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Ultim8.../dp/B008ZTLV9W

And then I modified it, you can see how in the pics.

I've never had the chain come off once.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Finally got a segment put together. Not thrilled with the video quality but I think that's my fault for filming tooo high-res and compressing... sweet trail though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I went this route - Amazon.com: Origin8 Ultim8 Chain Guide - Clamp Mount, 31.8/34.9mm, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks for the pictures!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Finally got a segment put together. Not thrilled with the video quality but I think that's my fault for filming tooo high-res and compressing... sweet trail though.
    Cool vid! But I think your compression is off.. what program are you using to edit/export vid?

mtbr member
    It's actually quite a hassle and I thint that is bc of the new GoPro 3. I import videos directly to HD, then use Cinemate (which is a Hero product) to import specific clips and play aroung with the color. Then I have to export those back to the HD as MPEG4 clips. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the segment but it does not read MPEG so I used a converter to change all the raw clips to WMV files and then begin splicing. It all takes quite a while to load and I'm thinking the 1440/48 FPS setting I used contributed to that. Next one will strictly be 1080/30 FPS and it should be smoother. But that is all coming from a novice video mind.

eff
    mtbr member
    I went this route - Amazon.com: Origin8 Ultim8 Chain Guide - Clamp Mount, 31.8/34.9mm, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Nice looking setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Nice looking setup.
    Thanks!

I didn't want to lose my bashguard, and every chainguide I could find within a reasonable price got rid of the bashguard, so I improvised
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    It's actually quite a hassle and I thint that is bc of the new GoPro 3. I import videos directly to HD, then use Cinemate (which is a Hero product) to import specific clips and play aroung with the color. Then I have to export those back to the HD as MPEG4 clips. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the segment but it does not read MPEG so I used a converter to change all the raw clips to WMV files and then begin splicing. It all takes quite a while to load and I'm thinking the 1440/48 FPS setting I used contributed to that. Next one will strictly be 1080/30 FPS and it should be smoother. But that is all coming from a novice video mind.
    Give this a try, I've used it before and it's better than WMM - The Best Free Video Maker for YouTube - ezvid.com
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    That's A LOT of converting.

I use Premiere and all I do is d/l clips from GoPro to HD, import to Premiere, trim/cut clips and Export.

mtbr member
    Never listed my Revel for sale

...was tempted to sell the Revel 0 and buy a 29er. Came across a good deal on a 29er with a recon,X7, and hydros and bought it. Rode it several times and now its up for sale. I thought a 29er would be more fun but after riding it, the giant with all its failing parts and scrapes, is definitely more fun. Now the 29er is for sale...

Probably going to be heavily upgrading the giant as soon as the 29er sells. About 1k should be more than enough for upgrading most of the stuff right?

mtbr member
    Give this a try, I've used it before and it's better than WMM - The Best Free Video Maker for YouTube - ezvid.com
    This looks like a really neat program!

mtbr member
    This looks like a really neat program!
    It's great for those of us who don't do videos for a living, and may not even be that great at it, haha.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Never listed my Revel for sale

...was tempted to sell the Revel 0 and buy a 29er. Came across a good deal on a 29er with a recon,X7, and hydros and bought it. Rode it several times and now its up for sale. I thought a 29er would be more fun but after riding it, the giant with all its failing parts and scrapes, is definitely more fun. Now the 29er is for sale...

Probably going to be heavily upgrading the giant as soon as the 29er sells. About 1k should be more than enough for upgrading most of the stuff right?
    Good to hear!!!

I just ordered a bunch of parts myself (hardest thing is waiting to get them).

Click on my signature. Items in red are installed or waiting to be installed. Roughly $650 or so.

mtbr member
    Nice and dirty.

Revel Thread-img_20130522_192646.jpg
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nice and dirty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130522_192646.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	801601

^ nice! Really jealous. Wish I'm out riding right now.

My stock RD (x4) is messed up right now. The b-adjust screw stripped while trying to adjust it last night . So, my shifting is messed up. I can only shift thru 3 gears. LOL.

I can't wait to get all the parts in and installed.

mtbr member
    ^ nice! Really jealous. Wish I'm out riding right now.

My stock RD (x4) is messed up right now. The b-adjust screw stripped while trying to adjust it last night . So, my shifting is messed up. I can only shift thru 3 gears. LOL.

I can't wait to get all the parts in and installed.
    That's how it's been the last week here in Florida. It's the rainy season, so I'm likely going to do early AM and lunch rides, since it's starts pouring around 4.

As far as your RD goes, find the gear that feels good, and single speed it until it's fixed!
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Great thanks Krunk. Good thing I brought my laptop to work today and my flash to listen to the new Daft Punk album. Just downloaded the installer so I'll give it a try at lunch with the raw clips from the other day. Do you have any video samples you've created?

mtbr member
    Great thanks Krunk. Good thing I brought my laptop to work today and my flash to listen to the new Daft Punk album. Just downloaded the installer so I'll give it a try at lunch with the raw clips from the other day. Do you have any video samples you've created?
    None at all, I used it to help my daughter make a school project. I haven't yet got a helmet cam.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member

As far as your RD goes, find the gear that feels good, and single speed it until it's fixed!
    That's what I've been doing. Just mostly around the neighborhood pulling the bike trailer w/ the little one.

mtbr member
    Krunk- is your fork that flat gold color or does it only appear that color in pictures? My friend got the raidon on his 29er from the program it's a chrome with a hint of bronze. It's hard to describe but it does not appear to look like yours. I'm thinking of getting a raidon or epicon but can't decide. Think 150mm would be too much on a revel? Even though I can pull a switch and go to 110?

So far I'm thinking a race face crankset to run a 1x set up,
    epicon 100-150 fork with 15mm thru, SR SUNTOUR Cycling

this wheel set Mavic Crossride Disc 12/15mm Wheelset 2013 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com possibly or a custom built one, Avid elixirs and just keep my cassette chain and rd. possibly upgrade that over time.
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 05-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Krunk- is your fork that flat gold color or does it only appear that color in pictures? My friend got the raidon on his 29er from the program it's a chrome with a hint of bronze. It's hard to describe but it does not appear to look like yours. I'm thinking of getting a raidon or epicon but can't decide. Think 150mm would be too much on a revel? Even though I can pull a switch and go to 110?

So far I'm thinking a race face crankset to run a 1x set up,

this wheel set Mavic Crossride Disc 12/15mm Wheelset 2013 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com possibly or a custom built one, Avid elixirs and just keep my cassette chain and rd. possibly upgrade that over time.
    Here's a better pic

2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend

Re: Revel Thread

A 150mm fork on a Revel would be ridiculous and would destroy the handling. Plus your warranty would be null and void.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    so I downloaded ezVid and gave it a wirl.. it is diefinitely simple but I have just enough video editing experience to be frustrated by this program because it's too simple. It would be great for a continuous shot down a trail or a walkaround of your bike. I am more interested in splicing several shots to create a more cinematic experience and this one isn't what I'm looking for. I'm still hoping to find software that will easily import, edit, and export HD clips quickly and effectively.

mtbr member
    Spent some quality time with the bike tonight in preparation of some parts arriving tomorrow.

Revel Thread-giant_apart.jpg

- Shorten hydro brake hoses
    - Removed FD & RD
    - Removed F&R Shifters
    - Removed crankset (that was a workout, lol)

Still to do:
    - Remove BB
    - Remove cassette

Had a blast learning taking all the parts apart.

mtbr member
    I went with the epicon x2 rl-r. Should be getting it today, I'll update once I can install it.

mtbr member
    If anyone comes across/sees some good deals on wheelsets.. please post it up here. Thanks! Staying with 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    A 150mm fork on a Revel would be ridiculous and would destroy the handling. Plus your warranty would be null and void.
    Warranty is done. I would never have it at 150 but just being able to adjust from 100-120 with a handlebar mounted remote would be cool.

mtbr member
    Giant was hosting a demo event in my area so I was able to test ride a Trance X 29er 0 on the trails. =)

I was amazed at how well the maestro suspension performed...it rode over all the rough stuff like it was nothing. I'll try to upload a short video of the ride sometime tomorrow.

Revel Thread-img0857xu.jpg

mtbr member

Picked up some Shimano SPD pedals and some Pearl Izumi shoes... I've busted my ass quite a few times today...

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member

Picked up some Shimano SPD pedals and some Pearl Izumi shoes... I've busted my ass quite a few times today...

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Get the multi release cleats and you will be able to get out much easier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Get the multi release cleats and you will be able to get out much easier.

Link?

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    Giant was hosting a demo event in my area so I was able to test ride a Trance X 29er 0 on the trails. =)

I was amazed at how well the maestro suspension performed...it rode over all the rough stuff like it was nothing. I'll try to upload a short video of the ride sometime tomorrow.
    I also had the chance to demo the Trance 29er at a Giant Demo day by us. It is definitely is my list of bikes to consider when it is time to upgrade.

mtbr member

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Ppl told me two things when coming up to a "technical" section... 1) commit or 2) unclip before you approach the section.

I rode around the neighborhood a few time clipping/unclipping before hitting up a trail. On my first ride, I actually did pretty good and loved the way being "clipped" felt. Funny thing was that at the end of my ride, I only unclipped my left foot and when I came to a halt.. I leaned to my right and fell cuz I didn't unclip in time. Lol.

mtbr member
    My parts came in (fork and 1x10 drivetrain) and I was only able to install the cassette and the shifter before we had to leave (we are away for MDW). All weekend I just want to get back home to finish the install. Lol. #mountainbikerproblems

mtbr member
    Ppl told me two things when coming up to a "technical" section... 1) commit or 2) unclip before you approach the section.

I rode around the neighborhood a few time clipping/unclipping before hitting up a trail. On my first ride, I actually did pretty good and loved the way being "clipped" felt. Funny thing was that at the end of my ride, I only unclipped my left foot and when I came to a halt.. I leaned to my right and fell cuz I didn't unclip in time. Lol.

My dad is camping at a huge RV resort about 30 minutes from my house, we went to visit them today. I rode around this RV park and practiced, that's where I was falling. I practiced a LOT. Just got back from an 8 mile ride and didn't fall once....and holy shit...climbing is a new beast. The efficiency while climbing is worlds different from platforms.

I fell a lot on flat ground at the RV park, but I think it was from thinking about it to much. Out on the trails, I only had one close call, and it was when I had to slow down for a family, and they were all looking at me...made me self conscious, lol.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I am about to order a new crankset. It says its for 9/10 speed and my bike is an 8 speed. My cassette and chain are fairly new. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I just want to make sure before I order

This crankset should work with an 8 speed cassette and chain right?
    Race Face Ride Single Speed Cranks 2013 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile

eff
    mtbr member

Link?

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Sure. Here you go

http://m.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-SH...ease-SPD-Cleat

mtbr member
    I am about to order a new crankset. It says its for 9/10 speed and my bike is an 8 speed. My cassette and chain are fairly new. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I just want to make sure before I order

This crankset should work with an 8 speed cassette and chain right?
    Race Face Ride Single Speed Cranks 2013 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile
    I was going to do the opposite of you. Changed out the cassette/RD to 10 spd and keep the crankset since it was still ok but read/others have told me that it might not work. In your case, you might be able to get away with it. I would check with Jenson though to be 100% sure. They have been helpful everytime I chatted with them. Also, don't hesitate to email race face directly. They respond quickly.

mtbr member
    Last day for demo rides in my area. Was able to try an anthem x today. Very nice bike.

mtbr member

Sure. Here you go

http://m.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-SH...ease-SPD-Cleat

That looks identical to the one that came with my pedals.

How is it supposed to be different?

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Good idea. Didn't even think about contacting them. Hopefully I get a reply soon. Upgradicitus is starting to itch.

mtbr member
    Clippless shoes and pedals are awesome. I can't believe it took me this long to get them. I crushed on Strava today.... Set so many new PR's

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member

That looks identical to the one that came with my pedals.

How is it supposed to be different?

Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    You can release at angles rather than just to the left or right. The release is more natural.

mtbr member

You can release at angles rather than just to the left or right. The release is more natural.

I did 10 miles today, and didn't have a problem. I'm still amazed how much better climbing has improved. Being able to pull up makes a world of difference.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member

Clipless is the way to go for sure.

mtbr member
    Good idea. Didn't even think about contacting them. Hopefully I get a reply soon. Upgradicitus is starting to itch.
    Home sweet home.

BTW, I have that exact Race Face crank on hand.. LMK if you need anything before I install it (I'm waiting for another part to get here before I bolt it on anyway).

mtbr member
    What tools are required to install a new crankset?

mtbr member
    What tools are required to install a new crankset?
    you need:

- crank puller
    - bottom bracket tool for square
    - bottom bracket tool for external

mtbr member
    Looks like its gonna be cheaper to pay lbs to install rather than buy all the tools. Kinda sucks that its about $40 from the tools i priced. I wanted to do it but if its cheaper one way I might as well go that route.

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast