Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post

Dying to get out and ride, but I need to watch my two kids. So will just have to hope I can get out for a bit tomorrow or at least some time this week.
    Me too! I usually ride in the AM on weekends. Tires down by 8am (sometimes earlier). Back home by 10am or so. Gives me plenty of time for errands rest of the day. But once a week is not cutting it anymore.

I want to try and start going during the weekday before or after work (at least 2 times per week) *IF* I can. There is a local trail fairly close to me that I can ride.

I've only been at this for about a year, and it has really help me a lot with my fitness/health. I've lost 20+ lbs since I started and haven't felt this good in years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    got norah back today! new rear derailer and hanger installed and when I got home I put on the new saddle and put in some slime presta valve tubes. only got to ride down the street a bit because my ribs and back where killing me. the saddle was extremely comfortable even more so than I was expecting. cant wait to take her out on the trails again. it's good to have her back even tho I cant ride yet. haha

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Me too! I usually ride in the AM on weekends. Tires down by 8am (sometimes earlier). Back home by 10am or so. Gives me plenty of time for errands rest of the day. But once a week is not cutting it anymore.

I've only been at this for about a year, and it has really help me a lot with my fitness/health. I've lost 20+ lbs since I started and haven't felt this good in years.
    That's pretty early! When I work I am up at 4:00 Am but when I am off (4 on 4 off) I am up usually around 7 -8 but Im not really functioning properly until 10 lol.

So far it has mostly been Sunday mornings. Wife goes to church with the kids and I have some time to bomb the hills. Only problem is I have a 4 on 4 off rotation so pretty soon I will be working Sundays again and that will suck, but my wife is pretty good and will probably be fine with me taking a night to go out. Sun is out so late these days that it isn't really an issue what time I go.

I haven't noticed a huge difference yet, but I JUST started so I am sure that it will show soon. Not really interested in improving my looks just would like to climb hills and generally go faster on my bike. lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Just a quick one guys - Can anybody recommend me a good fork for my Giant Revel 4? Nothing too expensive as its only going to be used for XC really. Thanks!
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would check out the suntour loyalty program for a Raidon fork - $190 for a 2014 air fork.
    Not a bad deal.

mtbr member
    Went this weekend to look for a new bike stumbled on a 2014 Revel 1 in matte black, was looking for an 0 but with the loyalty program from Suntour I will come out with spending about the same money but with a better fork.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think I am the only one in the world who is ok with the stock fork. haha. I have had more expensive forks and as long as I get use to and adjust to a fork I seem to do ok. is there anyone else who doesn't mind the stock suntour?

mtbr member
    I dont mind the stock fork, but what you can get the air fork for with the loyalty program its worth it to upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    I think I am the only one in the world who is ok with the stock fork. haha. I have had more expensive forks and as long as I get use to and adjust to a fork I seem to do ok. is there anyone else who doesn't mind the stock suntour?
    It depends on the type of trails you ride. For smooth dirt trails, the stock fork worked well for me, but once I started riding more rugged trails it just didn't cut it anymore.

A good fork on a hardtail will make descending heavily rutted trails more manageable. A full suspension with a good front and rear shock makes those same descents extremely fun.

I think the problem with the stock fork is that it has no rebound adjustments and because of that the fork will kick back harshly on any big hits causing the bike to bounce all over the place. Good suspension will help keep your tires on the ground which gives the rider much more control.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    It depends on the type of trails you ride. For smooth dirt trails, the stock fork worked well for me, but once I started riding more rugged trails it just didn't cut it anymore.

A good fork on a hardtail will make descending heavily rutted trails more manageable. A full suspension with a good front and rear shock makes those same descents extremely fun.

I think the problem with the stock fork is that it has no rebound adjustments and because of that the fork will kick back harshly on any big hits causing the bike to bounce all over the place. Good suspension will help keep your tires on the ground which gives the rider much more control.
    but for me I go on far from smooth trails and rock gardens and still able to take everything like a champ. it may just be my riding style I have always used my arms and legs more for suspension. I was in some pain today but still got on my bike and did some street riding up hills and over speed bumps just to see how much pain i was in and able to take and it was almost like the pain just went away from my ribs and chest and I felt like hitting the trails. all day after my ride I have felt pretty good with almost no pain its like i needed a stretch or something I dunno but tomorrow I am going to hit the trails and see whats happens.

Revel Thread-img_9064.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thought it would be cool if we posted our favorite trails to ride our revels on.

here is one thats pretty much in my backyard I just ride across my street go up this mountain and ride down.
    The Goat/Rockhouse-Sweetwater Reservoir - YouTube

this one is further away and a nice drive.
    Sycamore Canyon Martha's Grove and Southern Descent - YouTube

this one is also one of the ones across my street. its funny in the comments someone asked where it was and I responded and my comment was deleted as if the poster didn't want anyone knowing where it was at. San Diego Downhill trail: Mountain Biking - YouTube

there are a bunch more that are even better at some parts but no one has posted videos and I don't have a gopro.
    Last edited by DaveMav; 07-15-2013 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    @DaveMav, Those trails looks awesome!

This is my "home" trail..

1) Six Mile Run

Trail Map - http://www.mtbnj.com/w/images/a/ad/S..._r20090923.pdf

Other trails I have tried so far-

2) Allaire State Park
    Allaire State Park January 27,2013 - YouTube (Riding in the snow )

Trail Map - File:Allaire-2010.jpg - mtbNJ.com Wiki

3) Hartshorne Woods

Trail Map - File:Hartshorne map02.jpg - mtbNJ.com Wiki

Can't find any decent videos on YouTube for Hartshorne... been meaning to bring my GoPro but keep forgetting. I'll try and make something next time I ride there.

If you visit, New Jersey | Video Trail Reviews.Com there are PLENTY of trails around me to hit up. I can't wait to try them all.

mtbr member
    Joaquin Miller Park
    Mountain Biking at Joaquin Miller Park on a YETI ASR-5, Big Trees Trail - YouTube

Marin
    MTB-Marin Headlands from Mt. Tam - YouTube

Skeggs
    Skeggs: Resolution Trail, top to bottom - YouTube

I took the revel on the first two trails, but the last one was on a demo SC bronson.
    Revel Thread-ttel.jpg

Revel Thread-yz8r.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    sweet trails! I dig that Skeggs one a lot wish I could ride it. keep the videos coming! haha. just tried to ride to the goat trail but only got out about a mile and every little bump my rib hurt like crazy and was hard to breath so I stopped. going to have to just be bored and let it heal completely. I did however go on the part where I fell so was kinda nice to be like f you to the area and go through it with ease. haha
    Last edited by DaveMav; 07-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    @Oakeshott, are those others TB2's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    sweet trails! I dig that Skeggs one a lot wish I could ride it. keep the videos coming! haha. just tried to ride to the goat trail but only got out about a mile and every little bump my rib hurt like crazy and was hard to breath so I stopped. going to have to just be bored and let it heal completely. I did however go on the part where I fell so was kinda nice to be like f you to the area and go through it with ease. haha
    Yeah man, better just relax and let the ribs heal up!

mtbr member
    Yup those are TB2's. They handled the trails very well. The only thing I did not like about the TB is toe overlap although to be fair I only noticed this problem with the small sized frames.

Iím not 100% sure yet, but I think my next bike will be a Trance. For now, Iíll just wait and see what Giant announces next month. I still want to try the Superlight 29 and Blur TR unfortunately they didnít have either at the demo event.

mtbr member
    Yup those are TB2's. They handled the trails very well. The only thing I did not like about the TB is toe overlap although to be fair I only noticed this problem with the small sized frames.

Iím not 100% sure yet, but I think my next bike will be a Trance. For now, Iíll just wait and see what Giant announces next month. I still want to try the Superlight 29 and Blur TR unfortunately they didnít have either at the demo event.
    We should be hearing some news soon...

mtbr member
    The Kona Process 134 has really caught my eye recently (KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 134 , although, more $$ than I want to spend). I hope the Trance 27.5 will be spec'd something close to that bike..

mtbr member
    Joaquin Miller Park
    Mountain Biking at Joaquin Miller Park on a YETI ASR-5, Big Trees Trail - YouTube

Marin
    MTB-Marin Headlands from Mt. Tam - YouTube

Skeggs
    Skeggs: Resolution Trail, top to bottom - YouTube

I took the revel on the first two trails, but the last one was on a demo SC bronson.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ttel.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	816270

Name:	yz8r.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	816271
    I just demo'd a Bronson in Telluride. So much fun. If my goPRO chest mount didn't shake all over the place the footage would be amazing.

Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 07-17-2013 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll play..

Duthie Hill Bike Park Issaquah, WA

Tiger Mount Summit Issaquah, WA

Collonnade Seattle WA

I ride Duthie mostly as it's the best and it's in my backyard. Literally every kind of riding from heavy downhill/freeride to a slope-style course to single track in old growth forest and a twin racing track. My skills have elevated significantly from practicing there. Tiger is cool, wide open and nice forest to spread out in. Colonnade is a mind-bender, built under the I-5 freeway in downtown Sea-town it's quite an oasis. Some engineering marvels packed into a small space.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Collonnade Seattle WA

Colonnade is a mind-bender, built under the I-5 freeway in downtown Sea-town it's quite an oasis. Some engineering marvels packed into a small space.
    That's a SWEET, SWEET place!

mtbr member
    It really is. for such a small place (a few acres) they cram so many features in. Everything seems to flow into each other and when one feature ends there are endless lines you can create. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure line park. Really good mixture of dirt, wood and rock in a park-style layout.

As you can see I'm starting to focus my game toware the..... airborn aspect.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

new 2012 Revel 0 purchase/parts advice

New (today) to MTBR.com, and to this forum. I'm on page 10 of the thread, and will read through the whole thing. Shopping for an MTB. Will be used mostly for around-town (eastern WA state, and winter snow tears the roads up), park trails, and dirt roads and the like; rarely-if-ever would we be doing anything spectacular.

I'm never going to abuse the thing: I'm more like a how-do-I-mount-fenders-on-this sort of rider, at my age lol! (Been riding road for 40 plus years, and I'm a decent wrench. So: not a total noob' ...but I haven't paid attention to bike-tech in a dozen years.)

We just bought my wife an REI Bonita (on sale, natch, and which we swapped out a bunch of parts, that they were willing to go retail-for-retail for: I'd read enough to upgrade the brakes), and she's impatiently waiting for me to get something MTB-ish.

So I'm shopping ...but haven't really decided if I should build something up (say from the Nashbar frame) or buy something off-the-shelf.

My LBS has a Giant Revel 0 2012 for $640 and he'll eat the tax (at 8%+, that's makes it about a $100 or so off the original list price, out-the-door). I think I can work with him on some dollar-for-dollar upgrades (actually, any purchase from any LBS is dependent upon their working with me on parts ...otherwise, I'll just build or keep looking on CL for a decent deal).

Is that a decent price for new 2012?

I will upgrade the brakes (currently BB5's) to BB7's, and the levers to Speed Dials.

I will upgrade the rear cassette from 8sp to 9sp, and the shifters from X4 to X7's.

(It comes with X5 fr/rr, and from what I've read, I'd probably be just fine with those; an upgrade to X7 would depend upon the price difference.)

I will be adding a stem riser, probably an increased rise stem, and probably riser bars to get to an upright riding position (this will spend more time on bad city pavement than on mostly groomed trails ...and after 40 years of being hunched over and staring at the pavement in front of my tires, I've finally "discovered" that there's scenery to enjoy if you sit up straight and look around while riding lol). Advice?

This is probably the time to replace the stock tires, but I've no idea, really, what a decent tire upgrade (lighter is better) would be. And I'll be going ghetto tubeless regardless. Any advice for something that would be better than stock, at relatively modest cost?

Ditto on the wheels/hubs. I would really like to know what the rim weight is (rims and tire is an area that I do pay special attention to; I generally build my own wheels, but I'm way out of date these days, so if there's any specific rim/tire/cross known to be a good value, I'd appreciate a heads-up).

The forks are Rock Shox XC 28's 100mm w/lockout ...which was one reason for looking at the Revel 0. Will that fork be sufficient for a 160-180 lb rider mostly riding around town? Should I have the dealer change the springs as part of the deal? (I'm not sure which spring comes stock, other than it's listed as a "medium".) Any caveats?

Is there anything else that I should consider having the LBS swap out? - I'm more interested in value swaps at the time of purchase that make it a no brainer to upgrade (for example, the upgrade to BB5s from the crap Shimanos spec'd on my wife's Novara - the Shimano's had zip modulation; the Avid's are so much nicer - ended up adding $4 [!] to the cost of her bike: REI was great about working with me, trading retail-for-retail for parts, and no labor costs). I figure the right time to do this is when you're wheeling-and-dealing, and the LBS wants to make the sale lol.

I still have a lot of reading to do - which might put paid to some of my questions - but as my wife is getting antsy to get me on a new ride too, I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your Best Friend
    I grew up in Issaquah and graduated from Issaquah High School. I can remember riding around Tiger Mountain all the time but Duthie hill didn't exist then. I need to get back there to try it out. Want to show me around some time?

I'll play..

Duthie Hill Bike Park Issaquah, WA

Tiger Mount Summit Issaquah, WA

Collonnade Seattle WA

I ride Duthie mostly as it's the best and it's in my backyard. Literally every kind of riding from heavy downhill/freeride to a slope-style course to single track in old growth forest and a twin racing track. My skills have elevated significantly from practicing there. Tiger is cool, wide open and nice forest to spread out in. Colonnade is a mind-bender, built under the I-5 freeway in downtown Sea-town it's quite an oasis. Some engineering marvels packed into a small space.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brdavis9 View Post
    New (today) to MTBR.com, and to this forum. I'm on page 10 of the thread, and will read through the whole thing. Shopping for an MTB. Will be used mostly for around-town (eastern WA state, and winter snow tears the roads up), park trails, and dirt roads and the like; rarely-if-ever would we be doing anything spectacular.

I'm never going to abuse the thing: I'm more like a how-do-I-mount-fenders-on-this sort of rider, at my age lol! (Been riding road for 40 plus years, and I'm a decent wrench. So: not a total noob' ...but I haven't paid attention to bike-tech in a dozen years.)

We just bought my wife an REI Bonita (on sale, natch, and which we swapped out a bunch of parts, that they were willing to go retail-for-retail for: I'd read enough to upgrade the brakes), and she's impatiently waiting for me to get something MTB-ish.

So I'm shopping ...but haven't really decided if I should build something up (say from the Nashbar frame) or buy something off-the-shelf.

My LBS has a Giant Revel 0 2012 for $640 and he'll eat the tax (at 8%+, that's makes it about a $100 or so off the original list price, out-the-door). I think I can work with him on some dollar-for-dollar upgrades (actually, any purchase from any LBS is dependent upon their working with me on parts ...otherwise, I'll just build or keep looking on CL for a decent deal).

Is that a decent price for new 2012?
    Welcome! You definitely know what you want and that is a very good thing. Did you ride the Revel? Did you like the ride? That is really the biggest factor in deciding. Parts can we swapped out over time (or in your case, during the purchase), so really the deciding factor would be fit and comfort with the geometry of the bike.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    that don't look like no Revel

Hey, anyone have any cool sources/ideas for stickers/decals for bikes? I was thinking about adding some silly stickers for funzies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    that don't look like no Revel

Hey, anyone have any cool sources/ideas for stickers/decals for bikes? I was thinking about adding some silly stickers for funzies.
    Def not a Revel.. but still in the Giant family.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i just bought 2013 giant revel 0 and iam wondering if i could change the headset of my bike??? also what is the size of the headset??
    2013 Giant Revel 0

Level 5 Rider!
    Hey guys just wondering I recently bought a revel 4... and lately I am feeling like the handlebars are too close. Is it possible to get a longer stem (I think is the right term for the piece that attaches to the bar)?
    You earn 1000 exp!
    New Item - Broken pedals

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    Hey guys just wondering I recently bought a revel 4... and lately I am feeling like the handlebars are too close. Is it possible to get a longer stem (I think is the right term for the piece that attaches to the bar)?
    Yes, did you buy it new? Your LBS should have been able to fit it up for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aeonsofmidgard View Post
    i just bought 2013 giant revel 0 and iam wondering if i could change the headset of my bike??? also what is the size of the headset??
    hey, been trying to find this info out as well. unfortunately, i do not have a caliper to measure the ID.. but maybe you do. here's the info i got from crane creek

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete"

mtbr member
    Good info, thanks Eric. I'm curious what different headsets offer and what the advantages may be of swapping? I'm unfamiliar with exactly what it does except seperate the fork steer tube from making contact directly with the frame. I hear the brand Cane Creek tossed around alot and I just don't know what the upgrade is?

Level 5 Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Yes, did you buy it new? Your LBS should have been able to fit it up for you.
    My LBS seems like a POS in my opinion. Honestly they just got me to try two bikes and told me to pick the one that felt best. No fitting or any real help at all and I told them I was a new biker. Garbage service and I won't be going back unless I have to. Try to find a better bike shop in the nearby city I guess. *shrugs*
    You earn 1000 exp!
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Good job!

hey, been trying to find this info out as well. unfortunately, i do not have a caliper to measure the ID.. but maybe you do. here's the info i got from crane creek

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete"

thanks for the great info... also i will go to my LBS to measure the headset...
    2013 Giant Revel 0

eff
    mtbr member
    I believe this is the headset that will fit but not 100% confident.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i found this giant website... Giant Bicycles Archive...

and Giant Bicycles Archive

hope this will also help regards on the headset of REVEL...
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    sorry guys, I'm looking to get a new fork for my Revel 4, just wondering what the steerer tube size is (1 1/8?) and if its tapered or not? I'm a bike noob so sorry for the stupid question.
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDougieDouglas View Post
    sorry guys, I'm looking to get a new fork for my Revel 4, just wondering what the steerer tube size is (1 1/8?) and if its tapered or not? I'm a bike noob so sorry for the stupid question.
    Yes, it's 1-1/8" and it is not tapered.

mtbr member
    Good info, thanks Eric. I'm curious what different headsets offer and what the advantages may be of swapping? I'm unfamiliar with exactly what it does except seperate the fork steer tube from making contact directly with the frame. I hear the brand Cane Creek tossed around alot and I just don't know what the upgrade is?
    One big advantage is the sealed bearings. Less chance of getting water/dirt in the bearings. Also I noticed steering to be smoother vs the stock one.

mtbr member
    Ok, so I got myself a caliper and was able to measure the stock headset.

This is what the LBS ordered for me.

Revel Thread-1d4_0243.jpg
    XTC Zero Stack Headset
    - 1 1/8" ball cartridge bearing
    - Compatible with most internal headset
    - Recommended for use with all Maestro model (excl. Glory) and most performance Giant MTB Models

(Unfortunately, I do not have a pic of the XTC Zero Stack Headset before the LBS installed it, but it is similar to this....
    Revel Thread-cartridge-bearing-hs.jpg
    (picture taken from the internet)).

Revel Thread-1d4_0244.jpg
    Stock headset. You can see bearings are exposed to the elements.

Revel Thread-1d4_0245.jpg
    43.95mm

mtbr member
    I believe this is the headset that will fit but not 100% confident.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER
    you sir are correct.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Dropper seatpost (Crank Brothers Kronolog) on the Revel 1 help me out a lot, let my legs provide some suspension on rougher downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulanater View Post
    Dropper seatpost (Crank Brothers Kronolog) on the Revel 1 help me out a lot, let my legs provide some suspension on rougher downhill.
    Do you have a picture of how you routed the cable for the seatpost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

can the 30.8mm thomson seatpost clamp can fit to the 30.9mm diameter seatpost of revel??? or should i get 33.7mm seatpost clamp???

here is the quick link on the thomson site seatpost clamp Thomson | Seatpost Collars

also what is the size of stock seatpost collar of revel???

-thanks
    Last edited by aeonsofmidgard; 07-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    can the 30.8mm thomson seatpost clamp can fit to the 30.9mm diameter seatpost of revel??? or should i get 33.7mm seatpost clamp???

here is the quick link on the thomson site seatpost clamp Thomson | Seatpost Collars

also what is the size of stock seatpost collar of revel???

-thanks
    I just measured the stock giant seatpost collar for you.. it's 34.78..

Revel Thread-photo-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First post. Bought a revel 29 0 the other day. Saw this thread and read through it Saturday. Kind of a coincidence that another Daryn has one too. Lol
    Anyway, here's mine. I want to go clipless and that's about all I want to change.

Side note, Cadence Cyclery in McKinney Texas are great folks. Stayed after closing helping me find what I liked.

mtbr member
    All 0's come stock with BB7's? I like the black dude welcome aboard! Also thanks for the info Eric, I had no clue what to expect witht the bearings like that but makes great sense. Anyone ride this weekend? I had to skip out on my groups' ride to hit the Portland, OR brewfest with some buddies.

mtbr member
    @DarynRod, welcome to the Revel thread! Looking fwd to some ride reports and pictures.

mtbr member
    Also thanks for the info Eric, I had no clue what to expect witht the bearings like that but makes great sense. Anyone ride this weekend? I had to skip out on my groups' ride to hit the Portland, OR brewfest with some buddies.
    Didn't get to ride this weekend either. Had something come up with the little one and had to take care of her. By the time I was ready to ride, the skies opened up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just measured the stock giant seatpost collar for you.. it's 34.78..

Name:	photo-4.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	820075
    thanks ericgautier.... great help now i know what diameter to buy...
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Stock Revel 1

mtbr member
    Itll look awesome once those reflectors pop off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Leave the reflectors on if you plan to ride in the street!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I left mine on that came on it. The lbs didn't mount the handlebar or seat post reflectors though.. Just pedal and spokes. Side note. Mine came with plastic core/steel pedals. They said thats what was in the box. I though it was spec'd with alloy platforms... Either way, I plan on replacing them and I got a 20% discount on the bike anyway.
    I honestly do more neigborhood and park rides right now. With some dirt thrown in.
    So I left them on there. They're slim and clear anyway. Not like the slabs that where on my others bikes spokes...

Who took my gears?
    Leave the reflectors on if you plan to ride in the street!
    Only problem is that if you ride any dirt, they WILL fall off and become litter. I pass them ALL the time Soooooo... might as well take them off now and not be a litter bug, besides they are barely effective at helping you be seen at night, if you are night riding you should get a red blinky for the back, and a good light for the front. That way they WILL see ya...

mtbr member

2014 giant revel 1 29er

My bike I ordered at the local shop just came in, it's a 2014 giant revel 1 29er. Super excited

Revel Thread-revel-1-29er.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That looks like a 0?
    And my shop said something about revels being down sized in variants? Sounded like the Talons were getting a little boost. More 27.5s or something like that. Ive slept since then.
    Either way, that looks like mine, a '13 0. Medium frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looks like a 2014 Revel 1!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Looks like a 2014 Revel 1!
    Could be. I just thought I remembered hearing they were doing something different with the Revel line. Maybe they were dropping some. I don't know. Still, nice bike.

mtbr member
    They dropped the 4, now the 3 is the same price as what the 4 was to my understanding. There was a small drop in price on the 29er revel 1 as well. That most definetly is a med '14 revel 1 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Gotcha. I thought the 0 was still the only black one.
    Spd pedals get here today. Still need shoes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NABodie View Post
    Stock Revel 1

Welcome to the Revel thread! Don't let the mod bug bit you. Hehe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crannon View Post
    My bike I ordered at the local shop just came in, it's a 2014 giant revel 1 29er. Super excited

Name:	revel 1 29er.jpg 
Views:	19815 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	820990
    nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks I really like it

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you sure it is not a 2013 Revel 0? I think they are both all black.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Welcome to the Revel thread! Don't let the mod bug bit you. Hehe.
    Thanks ericgautier. I'll keep it stock for now, I did lower the handlebars but other than that I am just enjoying it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a 2013 Revel 1 and i want to convert it to a 1x8 has anyone done that? if so how is it and is it hard to do?? thanks Anthony

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblake09 View Post
    Are you sure it is not a 2013 Revel 0? I think they are both all black.
    Pretty sure. I originally was going to order a 2013 revel 1 29er, but they were out of stock so the bike shop was able to order a 2014. It had just been released.

eff
    mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bananas HD View Post
    I have a 2013 Revel 1 and i want to convert it to a 1x8 has anyone done that? if so how is it and is it hard to do?? thanks Anthony
    No issue at all. All you need to do is remove the outer chainring and inner chainring, FD and shifter and add a bash guard and guide. I would say you don't get much value in doing that with the stock cassette. That is why most are going to 1x9.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ya i was thinking that last night, I'm just going to pull the 3rd chainring and put on a bashguard. But the bashguard I want is made for a 36 tooth ring and I didn't plan on buying a new one, so it would still work right? it would just be a little big, right?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did some like trails today. Only a mile or so, exploring.
    Riding on clipless pedals now. Should have bought white shoes. Black, while matching my bike and looking sick... roast my dogs.
    Revel Thread-img_0005_zps7f94dfec.jpg

artsyfartsy
    Revel Thread-img_0004_zpsa922cef0.jpg

My new wallpaper. haha.
    Revel Thread-img_0007_zps55d253d8.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh well, LBS didn't want to deal on a 13 Revel.
    His loss, I ordered a Guardian 2.0 instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did a little farting around. Still getting used to clipless pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarynRod View Post
    Did a little farting around. Still getting used to clipless pedals.
    If you are anything like me, I never got used to clipless pedals (or clips of death as I like to call them). I did some research and found Bike James website http://www.bikejames.com check out his articles on Flats vs. Clipless (In the must read posts section on the right of his page). Convinced me to get a good pair of Flats and 5.10 shoes. We are not talking tennis shoes and the stock pedals that came with your bike. You will need to spend around the same for the pedals and shoes as you did on your clipless setup (luckily for me I got mine at REI and was able to return them). I crashed hard a few times with clipless because I could not get out in time. They say you will learn, but at the risk of injury, no thanks, not at my age and the terrain I ride in, a crash can be very bad (Arizona - pointy rocks and cactus everywhere).

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a clipless vs flats debate (there are tons of them out there). I just wanted to let you know that there are other options out there and that you do not HAVE to ride clipless to be a REAL mountain biker as the clipless croud and advertisers / bike shops may tell you.

Enjoy your new ride, and the onset of upgradeitis (it is inevitable).

mtbr member
    Video from this weekend..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    If you are anything like me, I never got used to clipless pedals (or clips of death as I like to call them). I did some research and found Bike James website http://www.bikejames.com check out his articles on Flats vs. Clipless (In the must read posts section on the right of his page). Convinced me to get a good pair of Flats and 5.10 shoes. We are not talking tennis shoes and the stock pedals that came with your bike. You will need to spend around the same for the pedals and shoes as you did on your clipless setup (luckily for me I got mine at REI and was able to return them). I crashed hard a few times with clipless because I could not get out in time. They say you will learn, but at the risk of injury, no thanks, not at my age and the terrain I ride in, a crash can be very bad (Arizona - pointy rocks and cactus everywhere).

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a clipless vs flats debate (there are tons of them out there). I just wanted to let you know that there are other options out there and that you do not HAVE to ride clipless to be a REAL mountain biker as the clipless croud and advertisers / bike shops may tell you.

Enjoy your new ride, and the onset of upgradeitis (it is inevitable).
    good info! I'm also trying out clipless.. and.. I'm not convinced. I bail out early if I know the section coming up is "sketchy". But "clipped in" feels awesome on the flat trails sections. Luckily for me, the clipless pedals I got have enough contact patch that I can still pedal while not clipped in.

mtbr member
    My latest ride on video:

This one is from today

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Was bored yesterday.
    Went exploring. Nothing special.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    All 0's come stock with BB7's? I like the black dude welcome aboard! Also thanks for the info Eric, I had no clue what to expect witht the bearings like that but makes great sense. Anyone ride this weekend? I had to skip out on my groups' ride to hit the Portland, OR brewfest with some buddies.
    Mine came with BB5s. Thanks. Been getting kinda dirty though lately. One of the local watering holes is getting pretty dried up. The creeks in and out are all mud pits. Won't be long before that dock is sitting in the mud too.
    Flipped the stem today, much more comfortable riding position.
    Have some Ergon grips in the mail aswell.
    I figured out that the new '14 Revels come with Tektro brakes, a non lock out fork and some other odds and end differences along with a 500 something price tag.

mtbr member
    I just now finally ordered a RaceFace Bash ring for mine. The Clymb has a limited number in stock for $13.98 if anyone is interested. They also have multiple types of Crankbrothers bars. They have had some good deals on bike parts recently.
    http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/63vette1

Membership is free. Just sign up and that's it.
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 08-18-2013 at 04:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Needs a membership.

Also, I bought a trunk rack today. So I had to kill some time with it.

I also am feeling the want to buy a new fork...
    Last edited by DarynRod; 08-18-2013 at 01:19 AM.

mtbr member
    @DarynRod nice vid!

Speaking of racks.. I'm trying out a roof rack..

Revel Thread-photo-5.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rif8qjrhgmxx4fd/photo-5.JPG

was able to source some free Yakima stuff.

mtbr member
    Have you noticed any huge difference in mileage with a bike are on the roof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Have you noticed any huge difference in mileage with a bike are on the roof.
    I've only had this setup for a few days and today was the first day I took the bike out. I did just fill up as well, so, let's see how bad the gas mileage is with the roof rack installed. I'll update later in the week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So I took my revel out to Erwin Park McKinney, Texas yesterday.
    Never been there before. It shows. Lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    my stock bottom bracket is shimano UN26 cartridge. can i replace it with shimano SM-BB51 with a crankset of Shimano Acera M371???? can it fit perfectly??? or do i need to change my crankset to deore as well???
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    my stock bottom bracket is shimano UN26 cartridge. can i replace it with shimano SM-BB51 with a crankset of Shimano Acera M371???? can it fit perfectly??? or do i need to change my crankset to deore as well???
    You will need to change your crankset. The Acera M371 will not work on the SM-BB51.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You will need to change your crankset. The Acera M371 will not work on the SM-BB51.
    thanks eric you really are a good help to me...
    2013 Giant Revel 0

mtbr member
    Got the bash ring on and finally completed my 1x setup. Next plans are to get a 130-140mm fork for my Scott spark and put the white black and green fork off the spark onto the revel. It's a perfect color match!

Even though it's not about a Revel some help would be appreciated since I can't seem to find an answer anywhere else. I'll post my question below.

mtbr member
    Pasted from my post in the spark thread. If I can get an answer my Revel will get a nicer fork sometime in the future.

Looking at upgrading forks on my 2011 Spark 60. A lot of forks I see in my price range and criteria end up having tapered steerer tubes. I've been researching headsets but don't fully understand them. I was googling for a conversion because I figured someone has to make a headset that lets someone run a tapered in a standard 1 1/8 headset. I came across this cane creek headset.
    Problem-Solving Headset From Cane Creek: The XX 44mm Traditional | News | mountain-bike-action
    It appears that it solves that issue of wanting to run a a 1.5 tapered in a standard 1 1/8 in headset. I used Cane Creeks headset finder.

Based on the information you have provided, your headset falls into the following standard:
    SHIS:ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 (1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard)

Would the one listed in the article fit in the same head tube as this
    SHIS:ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 (1-1/8" Zero Stack ZS Standard)?

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Headset Fit Finder

mtbr member
    @SQUIRRELSHOOTR, the Revel is looking good!

as for the fork, ..is the stock fork a standard 1 1/8? and you are trying to upgrade to a tapered fork? does your frame have a tapered headtube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Willing to trade or sell Revel 1 Giant 29er

Purchased a Revel Giant 29er, after riding it on the trail assume to big towards my 5 7" frame. Looking at trading for a smaller bike 26 or 27.5 of equal value? Any takers please let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-2013-08-27-13.38.17.jpg  

mtbr member
    The standard fork is a 1 1/8. All the forks I see are tapered with a either a 15mm or 20mm through axle. But I have found some that are 140mm and have a 9mm qr but tapered. If I could run that it would be great.

eff
    mtbr member
    Looks like you can do it. New Cane Creek Headset System Allows Tapered Steerer Forks on Straight 1-1/8? Headtubes

Might be costly if it doesn't work for you.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I saw that but I want to know for sure. I don't want to spend a lot of money on useless stuff

mtbr member
    Looks like you can do it. New Cane Creek Headset System Allows Tapered Steerer Forks on Straight 1-1/8? Headtubes

Might be costly if it doesn't work for you.
    Yeah, sounds like this is the solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Koni13 View Post
    Purchased a Revel Giant 29er, after riding it on the trail assume to big towards my 5 7" frame. Looking at trading for a smaller bike 26 or 27.5 of equal value? Any takers please let me know.
    what size frame did you buy?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2