Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Got my Raidon X1 in. It's very nice and quality. Looks good, it's getting put on tomorrow. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sweeet.

mtbr member

She's baaack!

1x9 conversion, Deore shifter, SLX chain and cassette, SLX shadow medium derailleur, Race Face Evolve XC crankset with race face bash guard and ngear jump stop, Raidon X1 air fork and new grips.

Everything for less than $350.

Haven't taken it around the trails yet, but feels like a totally different bike around the neighborhood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-14-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member
    Looks terrific. Enjoy the new setup!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Everything for less than $350.

Nice!

Y'know, I find it curious that so many MTB-ers are fond of upgrading the components on their bikes and these upgrades, oftentimes, aren't strictly functional. I come from a road bike background and just recently picked up a new Revel 29r 0 (matte black). The FIRST thing I did was to replace the grips and saddle. Both components were chosen in red to make my Revel a bit more distinctive. When it comes time to replace the cables I'll get new housing, in red, of course. I would have never thought of approaching upgrades on my road bike like that, but without being told I went straight to upgrades that were as individualistic as they were functional.

Very weird.

Weird is A Good Thing.

mtbr member

The bike is like a new bike. My daughter and I went on a 6 miles trip and it was nice. Nice a smooth, no more bouncing... What a great feeling.

Tomorrow is our big day, where we have 13 miles planned so I'll get to use the bike a lot more.

The fork is nice, and the drivetrain is virtually silent.

2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member
    I noticed the same thing with my 1X9 setup with the X9 meduim cage RD. Very quiet now. The stock setup slapped around all over the place.

We are snowed in so I'm off the bike for a while. :~(

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    Nice!

Y'know, I find it curious that so many MTB-ers are fond of upgrading the components on their bikes and these upgrades, oftentimes, aren't strictly functional. I come from a road bike background and just recently picked up a new Revel 29r 0 (matte black). The FIRST thing I did was to replace the grips and saddle. Both components were chosen in red to make my Revel a bit more distinctive. When it comes time to replace the cables I'll get new housing, in red, of course. I would have never thought of approaching upgrades on my road bike like that, but without being told I went straight to upgrades that were as individualistic as they were functional.

Very weird.

Weird is A Good Thing.
    It's a disease called upgraditis, and there is no cure.

cowbell
    Hey folks, I'm looking at stepping my son up from his 24" bike to a Revel 1 26" - does anyone have a weight on a stock Revel 1? Anyone familiar enough with the bike to say what I'll need to be on the lookout for with it? I suspect the brakes will be an issue but what else? Thanks.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Hey folks, I'm looking at stepping my son up from his 24" bike to a Revel 1 26" - does anyone have a weight on a stock Revel 1? Anyone familiar enough with the bike to say what I'll need to be on the lookout for with it? I suspect the brakes will be an issue but what else? Thanks.
    I have the Revel 1 29er.

I have replaced everything except the frame and wheelset, not all because they needed it.

IMO, the drivetrain and front fork are first on the list.

Take advantage of suntour excellent upgrade program and get an air fork. I'd say do this first.

After spending this money though, you may be better getting him a Talon or a XCT from the beginning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

cowbell
    Well, my wife has a Talon 0, and he can ride that, because it's a small frame. But he's not quite 11 years old, and frankly the 29" wheel is just too much for him. He's uncomfortable on it because of the wheel size. I am, honestly, disappointed by the lack of a quality entry level 26" bike, not just in Giant's line up, but universally. The closest I can get is some stuff on bikes direct, but I'm a fan of buying local, which limits me to Giant or GT at my favorite shop, or Cannondale or Scott at the other local shop. My wife also put a hard limit of $700 on a bike for my son, but that should be enough to get a bike without compromising. Unfortunately ....

mtbr member

Well, my wife has a Talon 0, and he can ride that, because it's a small frame. But he's not quite 11 years old, and frankly the 29" wheel is just too much for him. He's uncomfortable on it because of the wheel size. I am, honestly, disappointed by the lack of a quality entry level 26" bike, not just in Giant's line up, but universally. The closest I can get is some stuff on bikes direct, but I'm a fan of buying local, which limits me to Giant or GT at my favorite shop, or Cannondale or Scott at the other local shop. My wife also put a hard limit of $700 on a bike for my son, but that should be enough to get a bike without compromising. Unfortunately ....
    Get him a Revel 26" then and see how he rides it. They are good bikes, just not meant for aggressive riding.

I'd say either way plan to upgrade the fork with Suntours upgrade program though. Best thing I've done to mine, and for $175 you can't go wrong.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Saw you at Alafia today as you got back to the trailhead, we were just getting ready to head out. Didnt want to be that weird guy that yells "Hey Krunk_Kracker its akaBrowntown from the internet!"

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Saw you at Alafia today as you got back to the trailhead, we were just getting ready to head out. Didnt want to be that weird guy that yells "Hey Krunk_Kracker its akaBrowntown from the internet!"
    Haha... You should have totally said something!

Another user said hello and called me Krunk_Kracker at Carter Rd a few weeks ago.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member

Not a Revel, but just picked up a near mint Giant Boulder SE for my Fiancee for $150 off of CL.

It'll be ridden every weekend, and she won't ride anywhere near as aggressive as I do so I think it'll be perfect.

It was a battle, but I managed to keep her from buying a budget bike from Walmart long enough for me find a decent bike for a good price on CL.

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-18-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    My stock 26" Revel 1 weighed 31.13 pounds. I personally think the most important upgrades for it are the fork, brakes and tires (stock ones are not very grippy for steep climbs). Overall, I think it's a decent entry level bike. Mine takes a fair bit of abuse.

Revel Thread-img0990kx.jpg

Weight
    Revel Thread-img3133yz.jpg

cowbell
    Thanks Oakeshott. That seems pretty workable. Honestly, by the time my son is ready to move on from this bike, my daughter will probably be about the right size for it, and she may never out grow it, so I'm not going to have an issue with upgrading stuff that needs it - plus my son can mow the yard and upgrade whatever he wants to, if that's what he chooses to do

eff
    mtbr member
    Oakeshott, is that the Minute Expert fork? Care to offer a quick review? Thanks

mtbr member
    @Cotharyus: No problem. Glad to help.

@eff:
    It's actually a Manitou Match Comp 100mm. I've ridden with it twice now so my opinion on it may still change. It rides a lot smoother than the stock suntour fork. I noticed how much faster I can ride downhill through small bumps and roots thanks to the adjustability of the absolute + and stiff 32mm stanchions.

For the trails I ride on, the suntour fork had to go because it didn't have rebound dampening and I didn't like the "pogo stick" like bounce it had.

I would imagine the Minute Expert would be an even better fork than the Match. It's also a pound lighter which is a huge plus imo.

Here's a link to a more detailed review:
    Mountain Bike Fork Review: Manitou Match Comp

eff
    mtbr member
    Thanks Oakeshott

mtbr member
    Did some biking in the snow today around my yard. A lot of fun. Hopefully I can get off tomorrow and head out to some trails.

eff
    mtbr member
    Although Krunk_Kracker gave the Raidon a glowing review, I decided to get the Manitou Minute Expert. With all the research that I did, I was impressed with the ABS+ damper and decided to go that way.

It's a really nice fork, but I have yet to ride id due the weather up here. This weekend we plan to get out and ride, so I am really looking forward to testing the forks out. I'll post a pick this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Although Krunk_Kracker gave the Raidon a glowing review, I decided to get the Manitou Minute Expert. With all the research that I did, I was impressed with the ABS+ damper and decided to go that way.

It's a really nice fork, but I have yet to ride id due the weather up here. This weekend we plan to get out and ride, so I am really looking forward to testing the forks out. I'll post a pick this weekend.
    What's the price of that fork?

I bought my Fiancee a Marin Hawk Hill, and everything but the fork is great on it. I'd like to replace it soon.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    What's the price of that fork?

I bought my Fiancee a Marin Hawk Hill, and everything but the fork is great on it. I'd like to replace it soon.
    It was $315. Manitou Minute Expert QR Fork 2012 at Price Point

Twice what the Raidon would have cost me, but you only live once. LOL

eff
    mtbr member
    Well here are a couple of pics.

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast