Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Here are a couple of images.

How did you go about removing the other chainrings? I'm guessing the crankset has to come off the bike?

I think I'm going to do this after my ride tonight.

eff
    mtbr member
    The outer chainring comes right off, but the crank arm must be removed to take the inner ring off. However, I'm not sure that is the case on the stock Suntour. I seem to recall the inner chainring bolting to the center chainring.

The arms on the Suntour require a crank puller. A Park CCP-22 or equivalent make the job a snap.

mtbr member
    The outer chainring comes right off, but the crank arm must be removed to take the inner ring off. However, I'm not sure that is the case on the stock Suntour. I seem to recall the inner chainring bolting to the center chainring.

The arms on the Suntour require a crank puller. A Park CCP-22 or equivalent make the job a snap.
    Dammit.

Well, I'm getting a used 2010 Race Face Ride crankset for $30 locally, so I'll wait for that to happen before I do it then. I think I'll go ahead and remove the front derailuer and shifter though.

mtbr member
    There is a bike shop down the street from my office that uses Revels as their rental bikes. They have a whole fleet and usually sell them off at this time of the year to make room for a new fleet. Being rentals, cosmetically, they may not be great, but they do a full tune up before selling them so you can bet it will run great. I talked to a guy and he told me they usually sell them for $150-250, depending on the condition. I might have to pick one up as a spare bike.

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    There is a bike shop down the street from my office that uses Revels as their rental bikes. They have a whole fleet and usually sell them off at this time of the year to make room for a new fleet. Being rentals, cosmetically, they may not be great, but they do a full tune up before selling them so you can bet it will run great. I talked to a guy and he told me they usually sell them for $150-250, depending on the condition. I might have to pick one up as a spare bike.
    Which version of the bikes? 0, 1, 2 or 3?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Dammit.

Well, I'm getting a used 2010 Race Face Ride crankset for $30 locally, so I'll wait for that to happen before I do it then. I think I'll go ahead and remove the front derailuer and shifter though.
    You'll need a chain guard or at least the Jump Stop (What Is A Jump Stop?) before you pull the derailleur. Mine should be at the house when I get home tonight. :~)

mtbr member
    You'll need a chain guard or at least the Jump Stop (What Is A Jump Stop?) before you pull the derailleur. Mine should be at the house when I get home tonight. :~)

I stay on the center ring, never come off of it...from that link, it looks like I wont need it?

mtbr member
    Why wait! We rode off in 6 weather this past Sunday.
    Cold wet weather. That's that s*** i don't like! haha

mtbr member
    Ordered a inner and outer bashguard from BBG yesterday
    i'll post pics when i get them installed..and 10 posts.

eff
    mtbr member
    I stay on the center ring, never come off of it...from that link, it looks like I wont need it?
    We ride a ton of roots and rocks so you need something to keep the chain from hopping off the chainring. For about $12 it's worth the piece of mind.

mtbr member
    We ride a ton of roots and rocks so you need something to keep the chain from hopping off the chainring. For about $12 it's worth the piece of mind.
    Maybe I'll just remove everything except the front derailuer, so basically inner/outer chainrings, shifter and leave the derailuer to keep the chain tracking correctly.

This damn "budget" Revel is going to be better than a Talon soon, with all these upgrades, lol.

My upgrades so far: Race Face Evolve Stem and Bar, Avid Speed 7 levers, BB7's (in the mail). I also got a really nice return on taxes, so I'm using a little bit to upgrade the fork to a dual air fork and put SLX drive train in.

mtbr member
    Maybe I'll just remove everything except the front derailuer, so basically inner/outer chainrings, shifter and leave the derailuer to keep the chain tracking correctly.

This damn "budget" Revel is going to be better than a Talon soon, with all these upgrades, lol.

My upgrades so far: Race Face Evolve Stem and Bar, Avid Speed 7 levers, BB7's (in the mail). I also got a really nice return on taxes, so I'm using a little bit to upgrade the fork to a dual air fork and put SLX drive train in.

Not bad! I think we are neck n neck in the Revel Upgraditis race. Without details I've done the fork, bars, grips, post, saddle, tires, crankset, pedals, and brakes. I'm really interested reading all this chainring talk though... it has me thinking.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Not bad! I think we are neck n neck in the Revel Upgraditis race. Without details I've done the fork, bars, grips, post, saddle, tires, crankset, pedals, and brakes. I'm really interested reading all this chainring talk though... it has me thinking.....
    I forgot to mention I have a Race Face Evolve seat post coming as well, lol. I hate the adjustability of the Giant Sport post.

Bluesky's stocks are going to go up if I keep buying stuff.

mtbr member
    I did not like it either, I went with a Crank Bros Cobalt bc of the price, durability, adjustability and the weight. I'm waiting for someone on this thread to bite the bullet and get new wheels... I'm anxious to hear what a difference that makes. The set I want would shave about 2.5 lbs. from the whole rig.....for about $600.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I did not like it either, I went with a Crank Bros Cobalt bc of the price, durability, adjustability and the weight. I'm waiting for someone on this thread to bite the bullet and get new wheels... I'm anxious to hear what a difference that makes. The set I want would shave about 2.5 lbs. from the whole rig.....for about $600.....

Check out PinkBike. Anthem and Trance X wheels pop up a lot on there, I've seen both selling for around $200. I may do that after I get everything else I want to change.

mtbr member
    I wanted a good pair of flats to run around town and some park/trail riding. Picked up the HT Nano PA12A at my shopy for $50. Resin pedal, removable pins, sealed bearings and even a bit lighter than my eggbeaters. Pretty sure I'll be running them on my trip this saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Made my first mucky nutz style fender. Turned out pretty good

Now i've just got to paint it haha

eff
    mtbr member
    I love my new setup! Great ride this morning. 32t front chainring and Sram PG950 11-34 rear cassette and X9 RD + shifter.

I'm happy as can be, now time to deal with the fork. I have been looking for a deal on a RS Rceon or Reba, but wondering if I should save some $$$ and get the Suntour Radion.

mtbr member
    I love my new setup! Great ride this morning. 32t front chainring and Sram PG950 11-34 rear cassette and X9 RD + shifter.

I'm happy as can be, now time to deal with the fork. I have been looking for a deal on a RS Rceon or Reba, but wondering if I should save some $$$ and get the Suntour Radion.
    My new bike came with an RS Recon Silver, it has soaked up everything ive thrown at it. Im sure the Reba is even better. Cant comment on the Raidon.

Also some of these forks are a 15mm thru axle, so keep that in mind.

eff
    mtbr member
    I am leaning towards the Recon Silver Solo Air.

mtbr member
    Come to think of it, iv ridden on an Anthem for ~5 hours on trails that had a Reba. I couldnt *feel* a difference, but there is probably finer tuning on it.

Either way I put another 4.5 hours of some tough FL trails. It is night and day between the Suntour that was on the Revel.

mtbr member

FINALLY got the BB7's in, and installed. They were super easy to install.

I have a question though.

The front coverage is more than the rear... It's this OK/normal?

Front:

Back:

I realize it's a very small amount, but I wanted to ask.

They are still in the break in period, but these things are awesome.

Edit:

Nearly forgot, a friend of mine gave me this:

It's Sram carbon 10 speed.

I have a few questions though.

Will the Suntour bottom bracket work on this?

Will Shimano 9 speed components work with it?

I hope I can make this work, this thing is nice. Only thing wrong with it is the left pedal mount is stripped but I'm just going to helicoil it. He also gave me a nice set of platform titanium pedals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-03-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend

On the ST BB...maybe

9 speed compatible? Yes. However your 9 speed FD won't play nice with it and should be swapped out to a 2x model with shifter.

Pedal threads stripped out? Maybe you could have it tapped but if it's bad, no fix will work and the crank arm is shot. Fortunately it's the left side and cheaper/easier to replace than the right.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    On the ST BB...maybe

9 speed compatible? Yes. However your 9 speed FD won't play nice with it and should be swapped out to a 2x model with shifter.

Pedal threads stripped out? Maybe you could have it tapped but if it's bad, no fix will work and the crank arm is shot. Fortunately it's the left side and cheaper/easier to replace than the right.
    Thanks for the reply.

If I run this SRAM crank, I'm going to run it in 1x10 or 1x9, so I wont even use the front derailuer, so that's an easy solution. So other than that, I wont have any issues running Shimano 9-speed components on it? I may just go full SRAM X7, as I've priced them out, and they seem to be cheaper than SLX components.

I'm going to take it to me LBS today after work and have them take a look and see what they think.

mtbr member
    I went out Saturday to Tokul in Fall City, WA. Let's just say I was in over my head out there. Strictly downhill and freeride stuff. No place for a hardtail and I was the only one without a full-face helmet.. A couple pretty bad spills but nothing to keep me off the bike.

Pedaled into work this morning to try and work off a few coronas and buffalo wings from the Super Bowl!

Debating removing the BB5's I just put on and instead getting a new hydraulic setup top to bottom, including 180mm rotors. I feel like I need more stopping power and a larger rotor for the 29" wheels.

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast