Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 600 of 1100

Thread: Revel Thread

  1. #501
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205


    Carbon bar and spacers

  2. #502
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    I bought a 2013 Revel 1 29er recently. It is my first mountain bike. What cheap upgrades could do you guys recommmend? I am thinking of buying a wider handlebar. The current one feels way too narrow. This is what I am thinking of buying: Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

  3. #503
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @daryn, welcome to the Revel club!

    Wider handlebar definitely feels better. Just make sure they aren't too wide if your trails have singletracks between the trees. I got a 710mm and it is plenty wide for me.

  4. #504
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Just finished messing with the bike. Shakedown run tomorrow *hopefully. Did a quick spin up and down the street and the bike felt awesome. The remote lock out on the Epicon is pretty sweet. Too dark to take any decent pics now. I'll have some tomorrow. Shed about 5lbs off the bike (using a bathroom scale: me, me+bike, subtract). Was at 32 lbs before I changed out the parts now I'm at 27. A lighter wheelset could drop the lbs even more.

  5. #505
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post


    Carbon bar and spacers
    I like your bike stands!

  6. #506
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    I like your bike stands!
    Thanks! I just finished building the log stand. I saw a similar one in Crested Butte last year and built my own version. The others I built out of some spare lumber in several hours so something would hold them until I got the nice one finished. There's also a couple bikes on the wall...
    Here's a better picture of it right when the clear was pretty much dry. It can hold somewhere around 8 bikes.


  7. #507
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    @daryn, welcome to the Revel club!

    Wider handlebar definitely feels better. Just make sure they aren't too wide if your trails have singletracks between the trees. I got a 710mm and it is plenty wide for me.
    Thanks! I am glad to be here!

    I was thinking of eventually upgrading to BB7's as they seem so popular. Would I need to do anything different to put larger rotors as well? I believe they have 160mm rotors right now.

  8. #508
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Rotors bolt right up. You might need the spacer mounting bracket off your frame so the pads are located on the sweet spot of your rotor but that would all be included with the BB7 kit. Go with the Forte 720 bar...trust me...

    Revel Thread-installed.jpg

  9. #509
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quick shots of the bike.. only thing missing is the chainguide.

    Revel Thread-1d3_6056.jpg

    Revel Thread-1d3_6083.jpg

    Revel Thread-1d3_6070.jpg
    Remote Lock Out

    Revel Thread-1d3_6071.jpg
    Rebound Adjust

    Revel Thread-1d3_6066.jpg
    ISCG Adapter Bracket to mount the chainguide

    More pics here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s50oztmw4nzejsr/RuejsLm3BO

    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.

  10. #510
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Looks sweet! Can you take a picture looking down at the front chain ring and bash guard?
    Something like this to show the spacing between the bottom bracket and the chainring.


    Hopefully the race face ring is close to the bottom bracket. I took the small ring off this crankset. I made a chain guide to keep more tension on the chain because it would slip off and push the n-gear stop out of the way and then get wedged into the bottom bracket.

  11. #511
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Thanks! Will do but I'm out ATM. Will snap and post a pic ASAP.

  12. #512
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Cool! Thanks

  13. #513
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Here you go. Looks closer to the BB than your picture.

    Revel Thread-1d3_6087.jpg

  14. #514
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Rotors bolt right up. You might need the spacer mounting bracket off your frame so the pads are located on the sweet spot of your rotor but that would all be included with the BB7 kit. Go with the Forte 720 bar...trust me...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installed.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	804626

    Thanks! Already ordered the Forte 720. I actually got the idea from your post on this thread. I will eventually upgrade the brakes as there are a lot of hills here in the Ozarks. Amazon.com: Avid BB7 Mountain Disc Brake: Sports & Outdoors Looks like its gonna be about 150$ for both wheels.

  15. #515
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    My Revel 29er XL ( I am 6'4)

    Revel Thread-camera_zoom_20130602123545871.jpg

    Revel Thread-camera_zoom_20130602123618189.jpg

  16. #516
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Did 9 miles at Coal Mine out in Black Diamond, WA. Some tighter single track following the Ravensdale Creek into Lake Sawyer. Beautiful 70 degrees in the Pac. NW and the bike handled excellent.

    Revel Thread-bd1.jpg

    Revel Thread-bd2.jpg

  17. #517
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    What a beautiful looking track I love the bridge! What fork did you buy? Can you tell the difference between 80mm and 100mm forks?

  18. #518
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @coling - awesome looking trail!

  19. #519
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    What a beautiful looking track I love the bridge! What fork did you buy? Can you tell the difference between 80mm and 100mm forks?

    Thanks fellas, it was a good ride. lots of crayfish and perrywinkles in the creek under the bridge. If I had a tupperware I would have brought back a cocktail! I have a RS Tora 100mm with remote lockout. I love the fork personally, it's reasonably priced with respect to the frame I put it on and it handles well.

  20. #520
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Put together a quick video with my new Contour Roam. The music sucks, and the trails are out of order, itwas mainly just a test video. Used Sony Vegas Pro 12 to edit it.

    I like it a lot, seems to do a good job, except the wind noise is pretty ridiculous. I've heard of people using those little round bandaids or foam over the mic port helps a lot with this.

    Does anyone know where I can get copyright free music?

    2014 Scott Scale 740

  21. #521
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    went for a six hour ride today and discovered some new trails I didn't see before. wanted to stay out longer but my 3 liter camelbak became empty. haha










  22. #522
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    thats rad Coling! ! I wanna go there.

  23. #523
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Here you go. Looks closer to the BB than your picture.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D3_6087.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	804766
    That's good news. Hopefully my other bike sells so I don't feel bad about spending more on bikes. I'm probably gonna get some nagware brake cables too. My rear cable is getting harder to pull each day.

  24. #524
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    My Revel 29er XL ( I am 6'4)
    Welcome aboard!

  25. #525
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Put together a quick video with my new Contour Roam. The music sucks, and the trails are out of order, itwas mainly just a test video. Used Sony Vegas Pro 12 to edit it.

    I like it a lot, seems to do a good job, except the wind noise is pretty ridiculous. I've heard of people using those little round bandaids or foam over the mic port helps a lot with this.

    Does anyone know where I can get copyright free music?
    Good stuff! Is the trail "one way"? It looks like there isn't much room if another biker is going the opposite way. Hehe. The trails look "scenic".

    Sorry but can't help much on audio and copryright free music.

  26. #526
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    went for a six hour ride today and discovered some new trails I didn't see before. wanted to stay out longer but my 3 liter camelbak became empty. haha
    Six hour? WOW.. how many miles?

  27. #527
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    That's good news. Hopefully my other bike sells so I don't feel bad about spending more on bikes. I'm probably gonna get some nagware brake cables too. My rear cable is getting harder to pull each day.
    First real ride out today with the hydraulics. After today, I don't think I'll ever go back to mech brakes. To me, the hydraulics required A LOT less effort from me compared to the stockers and had PLENTY of grab with just 1 finger braking.

  28. #528
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Six hour? WOW.. how many miles?
    I honestly don't know how many miles but I know I am probably going to be sore tomorrow. my hamstrings are already worked. haha

  29. #529
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the rear derailleur that has worked for them? I tried to follow a few videos online but I can't seem to get rid of having the last 3 gears to shift one at a time. When I shift from the smallest gear to the next, it always goes to the 3rd gear. It also skips it when downshifting. Any ideas?

  30. #530
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the rear derailleur that has worked for them? I tried to follow a few videos online but I can't seem to get rid of having the last 3 gears to shift one at a time. When I shift from the smallest gear to the next, it always goes to the 3rd gear. It also skips it when downshifting. Any ideas?
    Clean and lube the cable. I had the same issue and that resolved it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  31. #531
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Clean and lube the cable. I had the same issue and that resolved it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Cable is brand new.. but I'll try that. Thanks.

  32. #532
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.

  33. #533
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Cable is brand new.. but I'll try that. Thanks.
    Is the housing brand new though?

    Use a compressor, or can o' air and blow it out if it's not a new housing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    @Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ahh ok. How much was the Crane creek you ordered? Please keep me updated.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  34. #534
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Is the housing brand new though?

    Use a compressor, or can o' air and blow it out if it's not a new housing.
    Nah, I reused the housing. Good idea.. I'll try that too.

    Also, I might start over w/ the setting up of the RD. I mixed up my clockwise/counter clockwise I think when I setup the indexing in the shift lever.

    Also, do you think if the chain is too "loose" it can cause this? Really surprise that I did not drop the chain this past weekend w/o the chain guide installed.

  35. #535
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Ahh ok. How much was the Crane creek you ordered? Please keep me updated.
    40 series starts at $60 or so.

  36. #536
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Good stuff! Is the trail "one way"? It looks like there isn't much room if another biker is going the opposite way. Hehe. The trails look "scenic".

    Sorry but can't help much on audio and copryright free music.
    Missed this last night.

    Yes, it's strictly one way. We have "Wacky Wednesdays" where the trails is ran backwards, but other than that, it's one way.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  37. #537
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the rear derailleur that has worked for them? I tried to follow a few videos online but I can't seem to get rid of having the last 3 gears to shift one at a time. When I shift from the smallest gear to the next, it always goes to the 3rd gear. It also skips it when downshifting. Any ideas?
    Try readjusting the cable at the rd. I had to do that when installed my new rd.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

  38. #538
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Missed this last night.

    Yes, it's strictly one way. We have "Wacky Wednesdays" where the trails is ran backwards, but other than that, it's one way.
    I wish we had that at my local spots. I've seen it before but never tried. To be fair most of the one-ways I ride are designed to flow that way but I think it would be fun. You ever come across someone who is ill-informed and comes flying down the trail the regular way?

  39. #539
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I wish we had that at my local spots. I've seen it before but never tried. To be fair most of the one-ways I ride are designed to flow that way but I think it would be fun. You ever come across someone who is ill-informed and comes flying down the trail the regular way?
    All the time... And it's hard not to be an ******* to them but I never have.

    I've had to do emergency stops before so I wouldn't destroy a little girl going the wrong way.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  40. #540
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Early day at work so I hit I-5 Colonnade in downtown Seattle today. Urban park built directly under the freeway with all kinds of riding. I hardly captured any of it in the pic below but it really has everything from technical practice trails and other skill-building features to rock gardens, dirt jumps, bridges, and wood burms. Had a blast until I blew the rear tube. The bottom pic is NOT me I pulled it from Google. but I hit the same wall he is on with just barely not enough speed. I was at the same height and began to slid down and it blew. Game over.. Check the place out online if you don't live near Washington it's pretty nuts. All volunteer.

    Revel Thread-c1.jpg

    Name:  C2.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  110.3 KB

  41. #541
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Early day at work so I hit I-5 Colonnade in downtown Seattle today. Urban park built directly under the freeway with all kinds of riding. I hardly captured any of it in the pic below but it really has everything from technical practice trails and other skill-building features to rock gardens, dirt jumps, bridges, and wood burms. Had a blast until I blew the rear tube. The bottom pic is NOT me I pulled it from Google. but I hit the same wall he is on with just barely not enough speed. I was at the same height and began to slid down and it blew. Game over.. Check the place out online if you don't live near Washington it's pretty nuts. All volunteer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	805092

    Name:  C2.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  110.3 KB
    That... That is ****ing awesome.

    What is it called exactly?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  42. #542
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    WOW that place sounds and from that other pictured you posted looks awesome!!!

  43. #543
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Got the MRP Mini G2 chainguide installed. Had fun taking the drive side crank on/off to get the guide lined up *not. Hahaha. I ended up using 1 spacer from the BB. The ISCG bracket was suppose to replace the spacer but w/o the spacer the crank was rubbing badly on the guide. So, I went with.. ISCG bracket+BB spacer.. then BB cup.

    Revel Thread-1d4_6443.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6444.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6445.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6446.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6447.jpg

  44. #544
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Got the MRP Mini G2 chainguide installed. Had fun taking the drive side crank on/off to get the guide lined up *not. Hahaha. I ended up using 1 spacer from the BB. The ISCG bracket was suppose to replace the spacer but w/o the spacer the crank was rubbing badly on the guide. So, I went with.. ISCG bracket+BB spacer.. then BB cup.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D4_6443.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	805131
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D4_6444.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	805132
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D4_6445.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	805133
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D4_6446.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	441.9 KB 
ID:	805134
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D4_6447.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	378.1 KB 
ID:	805135
    That lower piece, what is it? Is it a roller? That is very cool...I might have to pick that up...

    On another note, if anyone else has a Contour Roam 1 (the original), I found a way to turn it into a Roam 2 - Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  45. #545
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    That lower piece, what is it? Is it a roller? That is very cool...I might have to pick that up...
    The lower piece acts as a chain tensioner. The system is really a guide, bash and tensioner all in one.

  46. #546
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    The lower piece acts as a chain tensioner. The system is really a guide, bash and tensioner all in one.
    That is awesome. My Google-fu told me it's around $130. Is that what you paid?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  47. #547
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    That... That is ****ing awesome.

    What is it called exactly?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    The place is called I-5 Colonnade because it is built directly underneath Interstate 5 in downtown Seattle. It's actually kind of empty these days after a year ago they opened up Duthie Hill park in Issaquah everyone flocked there. That place is rad also, but this place is one of a kind. IMO Seattle and the greater Puget Sound region is one of the most diverse areas in the country for recreation.

  48. #548
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    That is awesome. My Google-fu told me it's around $130. Is that what you paid?
    That might be the newer guides.

    Here's what I bought to get this to work:

    1) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (White): Sports & Outdoors

    2) Amazon.com: RaceFace ISCG Adaptor Plate: Sports & Outdoors

    3) Amazon.com: Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers; set of 4: Sports & Outdoors

    Total: $90.35

  49. #549
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @Krunk_ Please HOLD OFF in purchasing this setup.

    I just spoke to Race Face and they do not recommend me using another spacer in between the adaptor plate and BB cup. What Race Face recommends is for me to move the 1mm spacer from the left side crank arm into the right side crank arm instead. So I will try that out and see.

    Revel Thread-r.jpg

  50. #550
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Thanks! this looks like an awesome forum

  51. #551
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    @Krunk_ Please HOLD OFF in purchasing this setup.

    I just spoke to Race Face and they do not recommend me using another spacer in between the adaptor plate and BB cup. What Race Face recommends is for me to move the 1mm spacer from the left side crank arm into the right side crank arm instead. So I will try that out and see.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	805384
    Thanks for keeping me updated on it


    On another note, look what happened to me tonight.

    2014 Scott Scale 740

  52. #552
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Nice!

  53. #553
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    The chainguide is being a PITA. The inside of the drive side crank has bosses to mount a small chain ring and it hits the bolts for the chainguide w/o the extra spacer between the iscg adapter and bb cup. Filing down the bosses was my last resort, but it has to be done to get proper setup of the BB.

  54. #554
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Thanks for keeping me updated on it


    On another note, look what happened to me tonight.

    Hey, where's the part that the alligator jumps out?

  55. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Hey, where's the part that the alligator jumps out?
    You have no idea how many alligators are actually out there, haha
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  56. #556
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Hey, where's the part that the alligator jumps out?
    LOL I was thinking of that too. You had a few close calls.. and I was like, "Does he fall into the river?". Hehe.

  57. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    LOL I was thinking of that too. You had a few close calls.. and I was like, "Does he fall into the river?". Hehe.
    The camera doesn't pick it up well, but it was raining very hard, and was hard to see. My shoes weighed about a ton a piece and there was a stick caught in my right pedal so I couldn't get clipped in, lol.

    I'm surprised I didn't fall in myself.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  58. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Thanks coling for telling me about the handlebars for my 29er. man these are light for sure and perfect width for me since I am tall. installed them with some lizard skins northshore lock grips. I usally use Oury grips but I tried these out and think they are my new fav. one thing I noticed right away with the new flat bars was how much easier it was on sharp sharp cornering and also made it a lot easier to keep better control on really steep climbs especially over rocks on the incline. by far better than the stock bars. thanks again!

    Revel Thread-camerazoom-20130605173849835.jpg

  59. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    @Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.
    What was it you said needed measuring?

    I'm taking my headset off for a good cleaning this weekend and I have some calipers I can get measurements with.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  60. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    What was it you said needed measuring?

    I'm taking my headset off for a good cleaning this weekend and I have some calipers I can get measurements with.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Here's the email I got from Crane

    "I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

    So, measure top and bottom ID of head tube after removing cups.
    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-06-2013 at 06:07 AM.

  61. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    Thanks coling for telling me about the handlebars for my 29er. man these are light for sure and perfect width for me since I am tall. installed them with some lizard skins northshore lock grips. I usally use Oury grips but I tried these out and think they are my new fav. one thing I noticed right away with the new flat bars was how much easier it was on sharp sharp cornering and also made it a lot easier to keep better control on really steep climbs especially over rocks on the incline. by far better than the stock bars. thanks again!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130605173849835.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	805708
    Don't let the mod bug bite you too hard. Hehe. Nice bar! Definitely have to agree with you on how much easier it was to control the bike with the wider bar.

  62. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Don't let the mod bug bite you too hard. Hehe. Nice bar! Definitely have to agree with you on how much easier it was to control the bike with the wider bar.
    Totally! haha. I think If I do anything else it will be a different crankset and my shop is going to call me when they get another deal for $75 front and rear hydralic brake sets.

  63. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    The
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Here's the email I got from Crane

    "I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

    So, measure top and bottom ID of head tube after removing cups.
    I'll measure it and get back to you.


    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    Totally! haha. I think If I do anything else it will be a different crankset and my shop is going to call me when they get another deal for $75 front and rear hydralic brake sets.
    Check out JensonOnline.com, they have some nice Race Face cranksets for sub-$60

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  64. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    Thanks coling for telling me about the handlebars for my 29er. man these are light for sure and perfect width for me since I am tall. installed them with some lizard skins northshore lock grips. I usally use Oury grips but I tried these out and think they are my new fav. one thing I noticed right away with the new flat bars was how much easier it was on sharp sharp cornering and also made it a lot easier to keep better control on really steep climbs especially over rocks on the incline. by far better than the stock bars. thanks again!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130605173849835.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	805708
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.

    I'm also beginning to research the market for the right full-suspenion 29er so I can go to Whistler and try some other trails in my area. Ideally I would want something capable but nimble, willing to climb a forest service road and handle the drops on my trails that the Revel rides around. This weekend is our state-wide mtb festival so all of the vendors will be there. $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park. I know for a fact there will be Trek, DB, Jamis, Kona, Niner, Norco, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Transition, and Yeti. Some other local shops will be there so who knows what brands they will bring. No word yet on any Giants... Online flyer if you're anywhere near Seattle this weekend.

  65. #565
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.

    I'm also beginning to research the market for the right full-suspenion 29er so I can go to Whistler and try some other trails in my area. Ideally I would want something capable but nimble, willing to climb a forest service road and handle the drops on my trails that the Revel rides around. This weekend is our state-wide mtb festival so all of the vendors will be there. $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park. I know for a fact there will be Trek, DB, Jamis, Kona, Niner, Norco, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Transition, and Yeti. Some other local shops will be there so who knows what brands they will bring. No word yet on any Giants... Online flyer if you're anywhere near Seattle this weekend.
    Try out the Scott fill suspensions if they are there. They are damn nice.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  66. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park.
    This sounds like an awesome event!!! Definitely try out the SC Solo (but that's a 27.5). There are a lot of new bikes being released and I can't wait to see what is available when it is time to upgrade.

  67. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.
    Definitely take a look at the Shimano Deore M596. Really impressed with it so far. Good reviews on the forum and if you shop around, you can find them for around $60/each.

  68. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Gotcha on the Scott idea. REI will be there and I was just at their flagship store looking at the Scott Genius 740 the other day. Really nice bike in a 27.5 but they don't have my size... I'm not opposed to a 27.5 be any means I just don't think I'll ever go back to 26. I'll have my GoPro so as soon as I get a second with each bike I'll snap a photo then list features/specs on here as well as my personal opinion of how they ride. I'm going to take each one on the same trail, one I'm very familiar with so I should have a good idea of the differences between bikes.

  69. #569
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Awesome looking forward to the reviews!

  70. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    For me, I think my next bike is going to be a carbon one that I'll build from frame up. After doing the upgrades to the Revel, I think I'll be better off building a bike exactly how I want it.

    Eyeing an Anthem X Advanced 29er Frameset. I've quickly put together a parts list and its scary what the total is.. aprox. $4700.

  71. #571
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    For me, I think my next bike is going to be a carbon one that I'll build from frame up. After doing the upgrades to the Revel, I think I'll be better off building a bike exactly how I want it.

    Eyeing an Anthem X Advanced 29er Frameset. I've quickly put together a parts list and its scary what the total is.. aprox. $4700.
    Look into the Chinese Carbon frames.

    Don't let the fact that they are Chinese deter you. I've done a LOT of research on them, and recently met three people running them. 2 of them have had them for 2+ years and the third one just built his up. I'm likely going that route.

    They range in price anywhere from $300 to $600.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  72. #572
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Look into the Chinese Carbon frames.

    Don't let the fact that they are Chinese deter you. I've done a LOT of research on them, and recently met three people running them. 2 of them have had them for 2+ years and the third one just built his up. I'm likely going that route.

    They range in price anywhere from $300 to $600.
    YES! I thought about those too.

  73. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    I have looked into those a bit also and others have mentioned the geometry is identical to some well-known manufacturers. Are you speaking specifically of the hardtail frames on ebay? ericguatier mentioned the Anthem but I would LOVE to see a carbon full-suspension frameset under $600.

  74. #574
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    ericguatier mentioned the Anthem but I would LOVE to see a carbon full-suspension frameset under $600.
    there's a chinese FS carbon frame now too.

    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

  75. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Yes, Hong-Fu is likely who I'm going to go with.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  76. #576
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Yes, Hong-Fu is likely who I'm going to go with.
    Please document EVERYTHING as I am really interested in this as well.

  77. #577
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Please document EVERYTHING as I am really interested in this as well.
    Always do!

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  78. #578
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    that sounds killer wish I was there to check it out. I am thinking about getting another FS bike as well but not sure what i want maybe a reign. the revel for me has been really good though I have learned to use my arms and legs for suspension so well that I dont even notice it and I seem to take things just as well as my previous FS bikes. one thing I need to change soon are my tires I have the WTB Prowler SL race on front and rear and they seem to want to wash out on fast cornering in loose dirt. they have good rolling resistance and climbing and do well on a lot of other things but loose dirt on fast corners suck. haha. may put on my exiwolfs again until i get some new tires because the exiwolfs cornered well in loose dirt and even took sand really well almost as if it was not there. have any tire recommendations for dry areas?

  79. #579
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    just read up on the Kenda Nevegal DTC 29er and they are supposed to be the highest rated for over 2 years. I just picked up two on sale and they said if I dont like them for any reason I can take them back so I am going to put them on tonight and then go for a ride tomorrow.

    Revel Thread-1348872005_img_2077.jpg

  80. #580
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364


    Good tires definitely helps! I went from the stock Kenda SB8's to the Geax per recommendation from the LBS. The LBS maintains the local trails and raves about the tires (he runs them as well).
    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

  81. #581
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    My friend runs a Nevegal DTC in the front and a faster rolling tire in the rear. It's a very nice tire that has a ton of grip, but you may notice a lot of rolling resistance when running one in the back especially during long climbs.

    Here's an interesting thread about tires:

    Why different tires in the front and back?

  82. #582
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.

    I'm also beginning to research the market for the right full-suspenion 29er so I can go to Whistler and try some other trails in my area. Ideally I would want something capable but nimble, willing to climb a forest service road and handle the drops on my trails that the Revel rides around. This weekend is our state-wide mtb festival so all of the vendors will be there. $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park. I know for a fact there will be Trek, DB, Jamis, Kona, Niner, Norco, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Transition, and Yeti. Some other local shops will be there so who knows what brands they will bring. No word yet on any Giants... Online flyer if you're anywhere near Seattle this weekend.
    Nice, I wish I could go. I would love to demo a Yeti SB95 and the new Santa Cruz Solo.

  83. #583
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    80
    Has anyone converted there stock rims to tubeless? I want to use the stans kit, but don't want to drop on it if it won't work.

  84. #584
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    thanks for the nice read! I am going to first try the kendas in the front and rear and then try the kenda in the front and a wtb exiwolf race in the rear and see what works best. I just installed the kendas and did a quick ride through the street and they sure to ride awesome on the street but I am not a road rider so hopefully they run nice off road which I am sure they will but I gotta give them a beating in the trails to see. I'll give a review when ive ridden them for a while. also going to be nice that I get my new seatpost tomorrow.

  85. #585
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    Has anyone converted there stock rims to tubeless? I want to use the stans kit, but don't want to drop on it if it won't work.
    I'm sure someone on here has and will chime in. It is on my "to do" list..

  86. #586
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

    Here's an interesting thread about tires:

    Why different tires in the front and back?
    One advantage of the Geax.. I can mount them differently. I have front setup to "traction" and rear setup to "speed".

    Revel Thread-img_0961.jpg

    I might try a different tire all together for the rear next time and probably thinner as well.

  87. #587
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    That Geax seems like a nifty tire. Does the "speed" direction have a decent amount of bite?

    I'm happy with a 2.1 in the rear, but I definitely want to try a more robust tire in the front, maybe a 2.35 Nevegal.

    I found another interesting article that has a list of tires based on trail conditions:

    Mountain Bike Tire Buyers Guide | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

  88. #588
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    That Geax seems like a nifty tire. Does the "speed" direction have a decent amount of bite?
    Here's the thread pattern..

    Revel Thread-geax_saguaro_vs_kenda_small_block_8.jpg

    For me, the tire performs well for the trails I ride. Definitely much better than the SB8's. I did try it for "Speed" both F&R when I first got it then switch to "Traction" for the F a few weeks later. I noticed cornering was a little better with "Traction" up front.

  89. #589
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @SQUIRRELSHOOTR... the Epicon is on sale right now. Not sure if you are still considering it..

    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay

  90. #590
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    I run Specialized S-Works Ground Control tires front and back though I do like the thought of running something different in the rear. I've always preferred a lighter-grip tire than some heavy mudders and for that the Continentals have always intrigued me but never ran them.

    +1 on the Yeti I have heard amazing things about their bikes and never been near one. I'm hoping it isn't a zoo out there... Also I will be rushing to get as many bikes under me as I can. Place opens at 9 and then I got Mariners/Yankees tickets at 1 and the stadium is an hour away plus shower....beer...

  91. #591
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    I'm running Geax Saquero up front and Geax Aka in the rear and I am extremely happy with the setup.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  92. #592
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @coling.. definitely sounding like an awesome weekend for sure! just leave the wallet in the car.

  93. #593
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    geez I know...Safeco charges $9 a beer and by how much they suck (and it's the YANKEES) I'll probably need to buy a few of those.. Taking the gf out on the water for some rainbow trout on Sunday so should be a good all-American wknd. Honestly though I'm looking forward to the demos the most. $20 and I should get a feel on $10-15k worth of equipment.

  94. #594
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    For those thinking about upgrading to hydraulics...

    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

    ^ great price!

  95. #595
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    tested out my Kenda Nevegal DTC 29's today and man to they handle awesome on everything and I mean everything except wet mud which I dont really get much around here in socal so I couldnt try them in there. but loose rock, dirt and even sand they took like a champ and the climbing was phenominal. amazing socal tire for sure. the rolling resistance was kinda high in the rear but not as bad as some other tires but I still put a prowler SL race in the rear and went out again and that combo is amazing. also got my new seatpost which is much lighter and lmuch better quality than the stock post and looks really awesome too. I'll have to take some pics later on. going on a 30 mile ride tomorrow with my step dad and some buddies so should be fun stuff.

  96. #596
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    11
    Hey I have the Revel 1 29er and put new grips and a 720mm handlebar and it feels awesome! Thinking of maybe buying a shorter stem. The website doesn't list what size stem the bike currently has on it besides "Giant Sport"

  97. #597
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Camera gear packed. First time taking it to the trail. Should be fun tomorrow. Let's see how this goes.

  98. #598
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11
    my 2011 revel 0. almost nothing stock. wish i had a 120mm fork but overall its not bad.



  99. #599
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    keep the pictures coming! I am going another ride tomorrow so I'll have to take a bunch of pics.

  100. #600
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    As promised even though it has no Revel significance except I rode mine into the festival..

    Story goes the park opened at 9 and I needed to be gone by 11. Registration was a logjam for a bit and vendors were still getting their lattes (great NW) so startup killed a bit of my time. Once I got going and figured the lay of the land I was strictly business. I know the trails here so I focused on only riding similarly capable bikes across vendors and attempted to compare them by factory standards on the same trail. Each vendor was helpful enough to size me, install flat pedals, and pump each shock to my weight. Let this be a disclaimer to those reading: This was my experience, my size frame, my riding style, and in no way affects your investing interest in this great sport.

    I rode the following...

    Revel Thread-d1.jpg

    Niner Jet 9 Pro. RS Revelation 130mm fork, Fox float ctd, Avid trail XO brakes, SRAM XX1 1X11 drivetrain.
    I felt the was less fit for XC even though the 1x11 drive really blew my mins but felt best on landings. suspension pulled me into the ground and turns and was not a jumper. Tire resistance ( Schwalbe Nobby Nic) kept me on the dirt.

    Revel Thread-d2.jpg

    Yeti SB96 29. Fox F34 130mm Kashima fork, Fox F34 Float CTD Kashima rear, Shimano XT 2x10, Shimano Deore XT brakes. Fox suspension was outstanding, left Earth and brought me back on a cloud. The bike handled and maneuvered flawlessly and the brakes were nearly too tight. Excellent XC bike. Only problem I felt was the geometry designed a Large for me and I rode a Medium. If I had a large I would have rode home on it...

    Revel Thread-d3.jpg

    Trek Rumblefish Pro. Fox F32 DRCV Kashima fork, Fox Float CTD DRCV non-kashima rear, Deore XT 2x10 drive, Deore XT brakes, Bontrager everything else.. Bike fit me the best. Good roller, easy absorption over minor jumps/hips/bridges but not a jumper. Good XC bike for the price point and capable enough to hang with the big boys. Very satisfied with the factory components.

    Revel Thread-d4.jpg

    Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, Rockshox Revelation fork, Fox Float RP23 rear, Avid Elixir 5 brakes, Shimano SLX 3x10 drive, Easton Havoc wheels. Ride-over height was outstanding, balanced bike and felt the lightest over the same features. Maxxis tires had the least resistance so the ride was the quickest. 3x10 shift was surprisingly effortless and the brakes were very strong but not tight.

    **Reminder: My goal was to ride the same 'caliber' bike for my style and find subtle differences between factory components. These bikes are all demos so certain things (tires, shifters, etc.) could be swapped from the dealear floor but this is what I rode. Many thanks to the vendors and the helpful people at Evergreen MTB Alliance for promoting a fun and safe event.

    One more teaser... Freshly released Trek but I'll leave the stats up to you. It's a sexy bike, all chrome and the pic doesn't even show it.....

    Revel Thread-db.jpg

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •