Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 500 of 1100

Thread: Revel Thread

  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @coling - sounds good looking fwd to the video!

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Thanks!
    I went this route - http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Ultim8.../dp/B008ZTLV9W

    And then I modified it, you can see how in the pics.

    I've never had the chain come off once.




    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  3. #403
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Finally got a segment put together. Not thrilled with the video quality but I think that's my fault for filming tooo high-res and compressing... sweet trail though.


  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I went this route - Amazon.com: Origin8 Ultim8 Chain Guide - Clamp Mount, 31.8/34.9mm, Black: Sports & Outdoors

    And then I modified it, you can see how in the pics.

    I've never had the chain come off once.
    Thanks for the pictures!

  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Finally got a segment put together. Not thrilled with the video quality but I think that's my fault for filming tooo high-res and compressing... sweet trail though.
    Cool vid! But I think your compression is off.. what program are you using to edit/export vid?

  6. #406
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    It's actually quite a hassle and I thint that is bc of the new GoPro 3. I import videos directly to HD, then use Cinemate (which is a Hero product) to import specific clips and play aroung with the color. Then I have to export those back to the HD as MPEG4 clips. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the segment but it does not read MPEG so I used a converter to change all the raw clips to WMV files and then begin splicing. It all takes quite a while to load and I'm thinking the 1440/48 FPS setting I used contributed to that. Next one will strictly be 1080/30 FPS and it should be smoother. But that is all coming from a novice video mind.

  7. #407
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I went this route - Amazon.com: Origin8 Ultim8 Chain Guide - Clamp Mount, 31.8/34.9mm, Black: Sports & Outdoors

    And then I modified it, you can see how in the pics.

    I've never had the chain come off once.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Nice looking setup.

  8. #408
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Nice looking setup.
    Thanks!

    I didn't want to lose my bashguard, and every chainguide I could find within a reasonable price got rid of the bashguard, so I improvised
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    It's actually quite a hassle and I thint that is bc of the new GoPro 3. I import videos directly to HD, then use Cinemate (which is a Hero product) to import specific clips and play aroung with the color. Then I have to export those back to the HD as MPEG4 clips. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the segment but it does not read MPEG so I used a converter to change all the raw clips to WMV files and then begin splicing. It all takes quite a while to load and I'm thinking the 1440/48 FPS setting I used contributed to that. Next one will strictly be 1080/30 FPS and it should be smoother. But that is all coming from a novice video mind.
    Give this a try, I've used it before and it's better than WMM - The Best Free Video Maker for YouTube - ezvid.com
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    It's actually quite a hassle and I thint that is bc of the new GoPro 3. I import videos directly to HD, then use Cinemate (which is a Hero product) to import specific clips and play aroung with the color. Then I have to export those back to the HD as MPEG4 clips. I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the segment but it does not read MPEG so I used a converter to change all the raw clips to WMV files and then begin splicing. It all takes quite a while to load and I'm thinking the 1440/48 FPS setting I used contributed to that. Next one will strictly be 1080/30 FPS and it should be smoother. But that is all coming from a novice video mind.
    That's A LOT of converting.

    I use Premiere and all I do is d/l clips from GoPro to HD, import to Premiere, trim/cut clips and Export.

  11. #411
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Never listed my Revel for sale

    ...was tempted to sell the Revel 0 and buy a 29er. Came across a good deal on a 29er with a recon,X7, and hydros and bought it. Rode it several times and now its up for sale. I thought a 29er would be more fun but after riding it, the giant with all its failing parts and scrapes, is definitely more fun. Now the 29er is for sale...

    Probably going to be heavily upgrading the giant as soon as the 29er sells. About 1k should be more than enough for upgrading most of the stuff right?

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Give this a try, I've used it before and it's better than WMM - The Best Free Video Maker for YouTube - ezvid.com
    This looks like a really neat program!

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    This looks like a really neat program!
    It's great for those of us who don't do videos for a living, and may not even be that great at it, haha.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Never listed my Revel for sale

    ...was tempted to sell the Revel 0 and buy a 29er. Came across a good deal on a 29er with a recon,X7, and hydros and bought it. Rode it several times and now its up for sale. I thought a 29er would be more fun but after riding it, the giant with all its failing parts and scrapes, is definitely more fun. Now the 29er is for sale...

    Probably going to be heavily upgrading the giant as soon as the 29er sells. About 1k should be more than enough for upgrading most of the stuff right?
    Good to hear!!!

    I just ordered a bunch of parts myself (hardest thing is waiting to get them).

    Click on my signature. Items in red are installed or waiting to be installed. Roughly $650 or so.

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Nice and dirty.

    Revel Thread-img_20130522_192646.jpg
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Nice and dirty.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130522_192646.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	302.9 KB 
ID:	801601

    ^ nice! Really jealous. Wish I'm out riding right now.

    My stock RD (x4) is messed up right now. The b-adjust screw stripped while trying to adjust it last night . So, my shifting is messed up. I can only shift thru 3 gears. LOL.

    I can't wait to get all the parts in and installed.

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    ^ nice! Really jealous. Wish I'm out riding right now.

    My stock RD (x4) is messed up right now. The b-adjust screw stripped while trying to adjust it last night . So, my shifting is messed up. I can only shift thru 3 gears. LOL.

    I can't wait to get all the parts in and installed.
    That's how it's been the last week here in Florida. It's the rainy season, so I'm likely going to do early AM and lunch rides, since it's starts pouring around 4.

    As far as your RD goes, find the gear that feels good, and single speed it until it's fixed!
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  18. #418
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Give this a try, I've used it before and it's better than WMM - The Best Free Video Maker for YouTube - ezvid.com
    Great thanks Krunk. Good thing I brought my laptop to work today and my flash to listen to the new Daft Punk album. Just downloaded the installer so I'll give it a try at lunch with the raw clips from the other day. Do you have any video samples you've created?

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Great thanks Krunk. Good thing I brought my laptop to work today and my flash to listen to the new Daft Punk album. Just downloaded the installer so I'll give it a try at lunch with the raw clips from the other day. Do you have any video samples you've created?
    None at all, I used it to help my daughter make a school project. I haven't yet got a helmet cam.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post

    As far as your RD goes, find the gear that feels good, and single speed it until it's fixed!
    That's what I've been doing. Just mostly around the neighborhood pulling the bike trailer w/ the little one.

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Krunk- is your fork that flat gold color or does it only appear that color in pictures? My friend got the raidon on his 29er from the program it's a chrome with a hint of bronze. It's hard to describe but it does not appear to look like yours. I'm thinking of getting a raidon or epicon but can't decide. Think 150mm would be too much on a revel? Even though I can pull a switch and go to 110?

    So far I'm thinking a race face crankset to run a 1x set up,
    epicon 100-150 fork with 15mm thru, SR SUNTOUR Cycling

    this wheel set Mavic Crossride Disc 12/15mm Wheelset 2013 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com possibly or a custom built one, Avid elixirs and just keep my cassette chain and rd. possibly upgrade that over time.
    Last edited by SQUIRRELSHOOTR; 05-23-2013 at 04:22 PM.

  22. #422
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Krunk- is your fork that flat gold color or does it only appear that color in pictures? My friend got the raidon on his 29er from the program it's a chrome with a hint of bronze. It's hard to describe but it does not appear to look like yours. I'm thinking of getting a raidon or epicon but can't decide. Think 150mm would be too much on a revel? Even though I can pull a switch and go to 110?

    So far I'm thinking a race face crankset to run a 1x set up,
    epicon 100-150 fork with 15mm thru, SR SUNTOUR Cycling

    this wheel set Mavic Crossride Disc 12/15mm Wheelset 2013 | Mavic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com possibly or a custom built one, Avid elixirs and just keep my cassette chain and rd. possibly upgrade that over time.
    Here's a better pic



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  23. #423
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,397

    Re: Revel Thread

    A 150mm fork on a Revel would be ridiculous and would destroy the handling. Plus your warranty would be null and void.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    so I downloaded ezVid and gave it a wirl.. it is diefinitely simple but I have just enough video editing experience to be frustrated by this program because it's too simple. It would be great for a continuous shot down a trail or a walkaround of your bike. I am more interested in splicing several shots to create a more cinematic experience and this one isn't what I'm looking for. I'm still hoping to find software that will easily import, edit, and export HD clips quickly and effectively.

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Spent some quality time with the bike tonight in preparation of some parts arriving tomorrow.

    Revel Thread-giant_apart.jpg

    - Shorten hydro brake hoses
    - Removed FD & RD
    - Removed F&R Shifters
    - Removed crankset (that was a workout, lol)

    Still to do:
    - Remove BB
    - Remove cassette

    Had a blast learning taking all the parts apart.

  26. #426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    epicon 100-150 fork with 15mm thru, SR SUNTOUR Cycling
    I went with the epicon x2 rl-r. Should be getting it today, I'll update once I can install it.

  27. #427
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    If anyone comes across/sees some good deals on wheelsets.. please post it up here. Thanks! Staying with 9mm QR.

  28. #428
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    A 150mm fork on a Revel would be ridiculous and would destroy the handling. Plus your warranty would be null and void.
    Warranty is done. I would never have it at 150 but just being able to adjust from 100-120 with a handlebar mounted remote would be cool.

  29. #429
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Giant was hosting a demo event in my area so I was able to test ride a Trance X 29er 0 on the trails. =)

    I was amazed at how well the maestro suspension performed...it rode over all the rough stuff like it was nothing. I'll try to upload a short video of the ride sometime tomorrow.

    Revel Thread-img0857xu.jpg

  30. #430
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Picked up some Shimano SPD pedals and some Pearl Izumi shoes... I've busted my ass quite a few times today...



    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  31. #431
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Picked up some Shimano SPD pedals and some Pearl Izumi shoes... I've busted my ass quite a few times today...



    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Get the multi release cleats and you will be able to get out much easier.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  32. #432
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Get the multi release cleats and you will be able to get out much easier.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Link?

    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  33. #433
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    Giant was hosting a demo event in my area so I was able to test ride a Trance X 29er 0 on the trails. =)

    I was amazed at how well the maestro suspension performed...it rode over all the rough stuff like it was nothing. I'll try to upload a short video of the ride sometime tomorrow.
    I also had the chance to demo the Trance 29er at a Giant Demo day by us. It is definitely is my list of bikes to consider when it is time to upgrade.

  34. #434
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Picked up some Shimano SPD pedals and some Pearl Izumi shoes... I've busted my ass quite a few times today...



    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Ppl told me two things when coming up to a "technical" section... 1) commit or 2) unclip before you approach the section.

    I rode around the neighborhood a few time clipping/unclipping before hitting up a trail. On my first ride, I actually did pretty good and loved the way being "clipped" felt. Funny thing was that at the end of my ride, I only unclipped my left foot and when I came to a halt.. I leaned to my right and fell cuz I didn't unclip in time. Lol.

  35. #435
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    My parts came in (fork and 1x10 drivetrain) and I was only able to install the cassette and the shifter before we had to leave (we are away for MDW). All weekend I just want to get back home to finish the install. Lol. #mountainbikerproblems

  36. #436
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Ppl told me two things when coming up to a "technical" section... 1) commit or 2) unclip before you approach the section.

    I rode around the neighborhood a few time clipping/unclipping before hitting up a trail. On my first ride, I actually did pretty good and loved the way being "clipped" felt. Funny thing was that at the end of my ride, I only unclipped my left foot and when I came to a halt.. I leaned to my right and fell cuz I didn't unclip in time. Lol.

    My dad is camping at a huge RV resort about 30 minutes from my house, we went to visit them today. I rode around this RV park and practiced, that's where I was falling. I practiced a LOT. Just got back from an 8 mile ride and didn't fall once....and holy shit...climbing is a new beast. The efficiency while climbing is worlds different from platforms.

    I fell a lot on flat ground at the RV park, but I think it was from thinking about it to much. Out on the trails, I only had one close call, and it was when I had to slow down for a family, and they were all looking at me...made me self conscious, lol.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  37. #437
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    I am about to order a new crankset. It says its for 9/10 speed and my bike is an 8 speed. My cassette and chain are fairly new. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I just want to make sure before I order

    This crankset should work with an 8 speed cassette and chain right?
    Race Face Ride Single Speed Cranks 2013 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile

  38. #438
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Link?

    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    Sure. Here you go

    http://m.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-SH...ease-SPD-Cleat

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  39. #439
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    I am about to order a new crankset. It says its for 9/10 speed and my bike is an 8 speed. My cassette and chain are fairly new. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I just want to make sure before I order

    This crankset should work with an 8 speed cassette and chain right?
    Race Face Ride Single Speed Cranks 2013 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop - Mobile
    I was going to do the opposite of you. Changed out the cassette/RD to 10 spd and keep the crankset since it was still ok but read/others have told me that it might not work. In your case, you might be able to get away with it. I would check with Jenson though to be 100% sure. They have been helpful everytime I chatted with them. Also, don't hesitate to email race face directly. They respond quickly.

  40. #440
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Last day for demo rides in my area. Was able to try an anthem x today. Very nice bike.


  41. #441
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Sure. Here you go

    http://m.jensonusa.com/Shimano-SM-SH...ease-SPD-Cleat

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That looks identical to the one that came with my pedals.

    How is it supposed to be different?

    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  42. #442
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Good idea. Didn't even think about contacting them. Hopefully I get a reply soon. Upgradicitus is starting to itch.

  43. #443
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Clippless shoes and pedals are awesome. I can't believe it took me this long to get them. I crushed on Strava today.... Set so many new PR's

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  44. #444
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    That looks identical to the one that came with my pedals.

    How is it supposed to be different?

    Sent from my RAZR MAXX
    You can release at angles rather than just to the left or right. The release is more natural.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  45. #445
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    You can release at angles rather than just to the left or right. The release is more natural.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I did 10 miles today, and didn't have a problem. I'm still amazed how much better climbing has improved. Being able to pull up makes a world of difference.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  46. #446
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Clipless is the way to go for sure.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  47. #447
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Good idea. Didn't even think about contacting them. Hopefully I get a reply soon. Upgradicitus is starting to itch.
    Home sweet home.

    BTW, I have that exact Race Face crank on hand.. LMK if you need anything before I install it (I'm waiting for another part to get here before I bolt it on anyway).

  48. #448
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    What tools are required to install a new crankset?

  49. #449
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    What tools are required to install a new crankset?
    you need:

    - crank puller
    - bottom bracket tool for square
    - bottom bracket tool for external

  50. #450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Looks like its gonna be cheaper to pay lbs to install rather than buy all the tools. Kinda sucks that its about $40 from the tools i priced. I wanted to do it but if its cheaper one way I might as well go that route.

  51. #451
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Looks like its gonna be cheaper to pay lbs to install rather than buy all the tools. Kinda sucks that its about $40 from the tools i priced. I wanted to do it but if its cheaper one way I might as well go that route.
    Yeah, I debated that myself. In the end, I bought this tool set...

    Spin Doctor Essential Tool Kit - Save On Accessories During National Bike Month

    It is not a "heavy" duty tool kit like the Park, but I like to mess with things myself and so far it did the job fine.

    I did however bring the fork over to the LBS though. LOL. I was nervous about cutting it.

  52. #452
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Picked up a ContourROAM HD camera...couldn't resist any longer. I'd been watching it for weeks on Amazon on sale for $110.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  53. #453
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    I debated buying that exact tool kit a several months ago but decided I didn't need it at that time. If that includes everything for removing cranks and the nut setter for the steerer tube I may buy it. It would Be nice to have quite a few bike tools. Do they appear to be quality?

  54. #454
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    I debated buying that exact tool kit a several months ago but decided I didn't need it at that time. If that includes everything for removing cranks and the nut setter for the steerer tube I may buy it. It would Be nice to have quite a few bike tools. Do they appear to be quality?
    **IT DOES NOT** include the nut setter for the steerer tube.

    So far, no "slipping" yet and the tools I've used feel solid. They include 2-Piece Cone Wrench Set (2 x 13/14/15/16mm) that look suspect. I skipped using those and just went to my beefier Craftmans set. For emergency use, they will probably do fine.

  55. #455
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Picked up a ContourROAM HD camera...couldn't resist any longer. I'd been watching it for weeks on Amazon on sale for $110.
    Nice man!
    Can't wait to see some vids from you.

  56. #456
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Should be getting my bike back from the LBS Thursday and some other parts to finish my setup by then. Will do a proper photoshoot by the weekend. Can't wait!

  57. #457
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Here's an older video of me demoing a Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Pro.


  58. #458
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    **IT DOES NOT** include the nut setter for the steerer tube.
    You can use a screwdriver as the star nut setter. That is what I did and it worked like a dream. Just make sure it is going in straight, which is easy enough to do.

  59. #459
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Anyone see this at Giant's website -

    Talon 27.5 1 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    Talon 27.5? Cool! Sorry not Revel related, but they might make a Revel 27.5

  60. #460
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Here's an older video of me demoing a Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Pro.

    What camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Anyone see this at Giant's website -

    Talon 27.5 1 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    Talon 27.5? Cool! Sorry not Revel related, but they might make a Revel 27.5
    650B's are a *LOT* of fun. I demo'd a Scott Genius 740 FS a few weeks ago.

    I've pretty much settled on the Scott Scale 740 (hardtail) next year.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  61. #461
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    What camera?
    GoPro Hero2 (Quality might be so-so, I was just learning the proper ways to export when I made this vid)

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post

    650B's are a *LOT* of fun. I demo'd a Scott Genius 740 FS a few weeks ago.

    I've pretty much settled on the Scott Scale 740 (hardtail) next year.
    At the Jamis Demo Day, I demo'd a 650 and a 29 back to back and you can really feel the difference.

    I was set on a Trance 29er.. but might wait to see if they make a 27.5.

  62. #462
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    To those who have converted to 1x setup... chain length: big-big +2 still hold?

    I read this article - Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar

    "Try the following when sizing a chain for your 1x setup: wrap the chain around the chain ring and around the largest cog on the cassette (without routing the chain through the rear derailleur), but try adding four links, rather than two—you can always remove additional links if needed. "

    Just wanted to see what others have experience with.
    Last edited by ericgautier; 05-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.

  63. #463
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Clippless shoes and pedals are awesome. I can't believe it took me this long to get them. I crushed on Strava today.... Set so many new PR's

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I just recently went clipless on the road bike.... Went out for a ride that had two segments on it. I ended up with KOM on both!! I'd been creeping up the leaderboard on them all month, but the extra umph from the stroke put me over the edge!!

    I've been upgrading the revel so much lately that I ran out of funds for a second set of pedals. I switched them out last night and gonna give it a go on the trail tomorrow!!

  64. #464
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    To those who have converted to 1x setup... chain length: big-big +2 still hold?

    I read this article - Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar

    "Try the following when sizing a chain for your 1x setup: wrap the chain around the chain ring and around the largest cog on the cassette (without routing the chain through the rear derailleur), but try adding four links, rather than two—you can always remove additional links if needed. "

    Just wanted to see what others have experience with.
    I did the 2 link route. No issues.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  65. #465
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    I've been upgrading the revel so much lately that I ran out of funds for a second set of pedals. I switched them out last night and gonna give it a go on the trail tomorrow!!
    Awesome! Let's hear about the upgrades.

  66. #466
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    I did the 2 link route. No issues.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks!

  67. #467
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Revel Thread-photo.jpg

    Chain guide to complete my setup. It might be overkill.. but I thought the price was too good to pass up.

    I do have to remove the stock bash from the crank for this setup to work. Also, just an FYI--- I had to order shorter chainrings bolts after removing the stock bash since the stock chainring bolts were meant to hold a bash/chainring in place.

  68. #468
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	803624

    Chain guide to complete my setup. It might be overkill.. but I thought the price was too good to pass up.

    I do have to remove the stock bash from the crank for this setup to work. Also, just an FYI--- I had to order shorter chainrings bolts after removing the stock bash since the stock chainring bolts were meant to hold a bash/chainring in place.

    OOooh... link to the components?

    Oddly, my setup has worked for months, but this past weekend, I dropped the chain three times. I dunno why, maybe I'm getting faster and more rough.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  69. #469
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    OOooh... link to the components?

    Oddly, my setup has worked for months, but this past weekend, I dropped the chain three times. I dunno why, maybe I'm getting faster and more rough.
    What's needed:

    1) Race Face 2013

    2) Race Face 2013 or Race Face 2013

    **I ordered both because I wasn't sure which one will work. I'll report back once I get these 2 and try it out.**

    3) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (Black): Sports & Outdoors (if you search on Amazon.. there is a white version).

    ***IF I had known that a single w/ bash wouldn't work with most chain guides, I would have gotten this - Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

  70. #470
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    What's needed:

    1) Race Face 2013

    2) Race Face 2013 or Race Face 2013

    **I ordered both because I wasn't sure which one will work. I'll report back once I get these 2 and try it out.**

    3) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (Black): Sports & Outdoors (if you search on Amazon.. there is a white version).

    ***IF I had known that a single w/ bash wouldn't work with most chain guides, I would have gotten this - Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

    Nice...do you have prices for the race face shims and what not?

    I was sitting here thinking about it, and I know why I started dropping the chain this past weekend. I got my clipless setup this past weekend, and I was reverse pedaling a lot more for balance...and that'll do it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  71. #471
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Ran acros this last night. Depending on price I may just go to a single speed.

    - Gates Carbon Drive Belt System

  72. #472
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Ran acros this last night. Depending on price I may just go to a single speed.

    - Gates Carbon Drive Belt System
    Seen a guy with a belt drive a few weeks ago. Quietest bike I've ever heard. He said it's unaffected by mud and dirt as well.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  73. #473
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Nice...do you have prices for the race face shims and what not?

    bracket - Amazon.com: RaceFace ISCG Adaptor Plate: Sports & Outdoors

    tabs - Amazon.com: Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers; set of 4: Sports & Outdoors

  74. #474
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Ran acros this last night. Depending on price I may just go to a single speed.

    - Gates Carbon Drive Belt System
    Those are definitely interesting and cool. If/when I have another bike, I'll convert the Revel to this.

  75. #475
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    I'm hoping bike is done by this weekend. It's currently at the LBS getting the fork installed. I can report how well the chain guide works after this weekend.

  76. #476
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.

  77. #477
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.
    My 1x10 conversion consisted of:

    - single speed crankset
    - cassette
    - RD
    - shifter
    - chain
    - chainguide

    Click on my signature if you want to see a list of specific parts/models #'s I chose.

    According to this article, Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar, I might be able to get away w/o using a chainguide. **Still undecided on that since I did buy the chainguide. LOL.

    Definitely want to thank everyone on this thread for the help!

  78. #478
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.
    OK -

    For the crank, you need to remove the inner and outer chainrings. You can either; A. Get a bashguard and some sort of chainguide that works with a bashguard, like a N-Gear Jumpstop, or B. Get a chainguide designed for single speeds.

    You'll need a new 10-speed cassette, a 10-speed rear derailleur, a 10 speed chain (I really like the KMC chains) and a 10 speed shifter pod. That's about it
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  79. #479
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,397

    Re: Revel Thread

    As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  80. #480
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akaBrowntown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    404
    Cut the belt and then glue it back together. Itll be fine. :P

  81. #481
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    Giant Seek?

    2012 Giant Seek 0 | Belt Bikes

  82. #482
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    Excellent, doesn't seem so difficult after all. Definitely moving that direction. Can I throw out a roll-call pic request? I've seen most of the rides on here but how about either a) your favorite or b) most current.

    I'll start:
    homemade infused jabenero vodka bloody mary with bacon slice garnish....whoops wrong thread

    Revel Thread-mary.jpg

    Last loadout on the way to Duthie Hill Park a couple weeks back

    Revel Thread-jeeobike.jpg

  83. #483
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    MTB is my "Get Fit" hobby. I'll have "recent" pics by this weekend of the completed setup.

    The other is my "Get Fat--Smoker" hobby..


    (Pellet smoker)

    Revel Thread-prime.jpg
    (prime rib)

    Revel Thread-wings.jpg
    (wings)

    I've done.. bacon, pork shoulder, ribs, chicken.. etc..

  84. #484
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Oh, here's a recent favorite before all the changes...

    Revel Thread-6mr.jpg

  85. #485
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeobike.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	803886
    How do you like the crossbar for the bike rack?

  86. #486
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    I like it, it's worked fine for me. the bar is the right diamterto sit snugly on my rubberized clamps on the rack itself. Also it is spring-loaded inside so once I clamp both sides it collapses inward to custom fit. There are designated sides for the stem versus the seatpost. I use a bungie to sinch the front wheel, rack, and down tube so it doesn't swing on the road or allow the front wheel/handlebar to turn.

  87. #487
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Good to hear. I'm looking at getting one myself. Brand/model?

    Right now, I use the downtube for the left side (or vice versa) to mount the bike on the rack.

    Revel Thread-bikerack.jpg

    You can sorta see it here. Wife's bike is an XS.. mine is a S. Plan is after I get a wheelset to transfer all my stock parts over to her bike and convert her from v-brake to disc.

  88. #488
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    My favorite shots:
    Revel Thread-img0586fe.jpg

    Revel Thread-img0640dm.jpg
    Love biking through the woods.

    Revel Thread-img0772gl.jpg
    Gorgeous view of the California coast.

    Revel Thread-img0802jf.jpg

    Revel Thread-img0868hk.jpg
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.

  89. #489
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    @Oakeshott: awesome views!

  90. #490
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0868hk.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	803941
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.

  91. #491
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    390
    So I rode the same trail as the clip i posted a week ago but this time I set the GoPro to 1080/30 FPS and it was so much clearer. I'm not planning on taking the time to edit everything down again and bore everyone with the same trail (even though I'm dominating the more advanced structures that I was previously bypassing) but I'm set on that resolution as my standard. I was a bit discouraged by the video quality from the first one but clearly I was using the wrong setting for that style of shooting.

  92. #492
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Was actually playing around with an old footage... I'm still at 960 30fps. Export is 720p H.264.



    Park info - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Franklin Township | Times and Records | Strava (only did 1/2 loop)

  93. #493
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.
    Well I think it really depends on what type of riding you prefer. Downhill riding felt slightly nicer on the Trance, but it didn't feel as quick nor did it climb as well as the Anthem. The Trance weighed approximately 30 pounds on a small sized frame whereas the Anthem only weighed 26.5 pounds. The Anthem just felt way more nimble than the Trance. At the end of the demo, I still had a ton of energy left and I think it had a lot to do with the Anthem's weight.

    I never rode 29ers before trying out these bikes, but now I'm seriously considering a 27.5 or 29er for my next bike. They seem to roll over rocks/roots/ruts extremely well even during those difficult climbs. Really, the worst thing about the whole experience was having to return them lol.

    This review of the Anthem is pretty much spot on:
    Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 carbon review | Bike Magic

    Cool vid btw, the music was epic.

  94. #494
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Aahh.. I didn't know there were 1 & 2's for the Anthem X Advanced 29er.. always thought it was only the 0 which is $9k msrp.

    Yeah I'm going to wait and see if Giant makes the Anthem/Trance in a 27.5 wheel size.

  95. #495
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Revisiting the conversation about headsets...

    Crane Creek has this "headset fit finder" - Headset Fit Finder but unfortunately, they do not list the Revel. So, I sent them an email and got this reply,

    "I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

    Does anyone have the "tools" to measure the ID of the head tube?

  96. #496
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

    40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

    40-Series

  97. #497
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    40 series is exactly what I'm looking at.

    While I was working on the bike last week, the steering felt notchy (not as smooth as before) and this week while the bike is at the lbs for the fork install lbs recommended I look at "maybe" changing out the headset. I'll see how it feels later after picking up the bike. That's why I'm doing some research. C'mon 5-o'clock

  98. #498
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

    40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

    40-Series
    I really want to upgrade my headset, I ride in such wet conditions...and this is the last weak spot for water to bugger it up.

    Are we sure these fit our bikes?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  99. #499
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Seems we need to measure the ID of the head tube. I'll chat with the lbs later and see what he recommends.

  100. #500
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akaBrowntown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    404
    You will have to pop out the old headset and use a caliper to get an accurate measurement. I would probably try to call Giant direct or e-mail them.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •