Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Ahh, now that you said that, it makes sense. More chainrings means longer chain which means longer cage to take up the slack.

Thank you. I can't rep you, as I must have repped you recently.

:EDIT:

From reading that link, looks like it might be a good idea for me to relearn my gears using the biggest chainring, since that would give me more clearence with the rear derailuer. Right now, my favorites tend to be 2/ 2-3-4-5
    I'm glad that helped you out. I just went through that myself. Ended up with a Sram X-9 Medium and converted to 1x9. Just finished it up yesterday.

mtbr member
    Revel thread is really kickin'. I like it!

Anyone got action shots to post? I'm going out this weekend, Capital Forest outside of Olympia, WA so I should have some good images and componenet reports to add.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    I'm glad that helped you out. I just went through that myself. Ended up with a Sram X-9 Medium and converted to 1x9. Just finished it up yesterday.
    What did you do to convert to 1x9? That's another thing I've been considering, as like I said before, I've never shifted from the second chainring. It would make a cleaner look and save on weight.

On another note, just replaced the stock brake levers with Avid Speed 7's, the bar with a Race Face Ride XC bar and the stem with a Race Face Evolve stem. Feels good man. It's a bit more springy than stock, which is what I wanted as I get pain in my palms after about an hour of riding (even after countless seat adjustments)

The Avid levers feel awesome. Still waiting on my BB7's...cant wait.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    My Revel is officially gone, however I will still browse this thread. It treated me well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    My Revel is officially gone, however I will still browse this thread. It treated me well!
    What did you get?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Revel thread is really kickin'. I like it!

Anyone got action shots to post? I'm going out this weekend, Capital Forest outside of Olympia, WA so I should have some good images and componenet reports to add.
    I only have a few action pictures, all climbing:

This was one of my favorite rides. It started down at the coast and ended near the top of Mt. Tam in CA with a total of about 14 miles.

eff
    mtbr member
    What did you do to convert to 1x9? That's another thing I've been considering, as like I said before, I've never shifted from the second chainring. It would make a cleaner look and save on weight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I upgraded the shifter and rear d to Sram X9 (thought of just doing X7 but it was only like $30-$40 more so I said what the hell), PG950 cassette, and Truvativ Stylo crank. I got the 3.3 crank on case I wanted to run a bashwich, plus I got a deal on a take off on eBay.

I haven't ridden yet except up the driveway. I'm stoked to get out and ride it. Hopefully my Jump Stop will arrive before the weekend.

mtbr member
    I upgraded the shifter and rear d to Sram X9 (thought of just doing X7 but it was only like $30-$40 more so I said what the hell), PG950 cassette, and Truvativ Stylo crank. I got the 3.3 crank on case I wanted to run a bashwich, plus I got a deal on a take off on eBay.

I haven't ridden yet except up the driveway. I'm stoked to get out and ride it. Hopefully my Jump Stop will arrive before the weekend.
    Can I see pics?

eff
    mtbr member
    Sure, I'll take some soon and post them up. I didn't take any yet.

mtbr member
    Sure, I'll take some soon and post them up. I didn't take any yet.
    That crank is a three ring...so basically you just removed the front derailuer and shifter? If so, that certainly is simple enough.

mtbr member
    What did you get?
    Trance 29 (I know, huge upgrade). Sadly if I had just spent a bit more and got a better Revel I probably wouldnt have gotten a new bike.

With the Revel 3 having V-brakes any sort of modification cascades into alot more.

The fork really needs to be swapped, and any fork worth spending money on isnt v-brake compatible. So in order to get a new fork for the 3, you then need a new wheelset and brakes. So something as simple as a fork upgrade grows into alot more.

eff
    mtbr member
    That crank is a three ring...so basically you just removed the front derailuer and shifter? If so, that certainly is simple enough.
    Pretty much. The stock BB is a sealed bearing system and the new one is external. I needed to buy the tools for both.

mtbr member
    And you left the other 2 chainrings on? They just hangout un-used? I guess that is one way of doing it.

eff
    mtbr member
    No. The outer ring was replaced by my bash guard and the took the inner ring off too. No need to have it there. What I do have the option of doing is running a bashwich now. I have heard mixed reviews on that though. Some folks have said the chain can wedge between the chainring and the inner buard.

mtbr member
    Got it. I was thinking to myself that would let extra weight hangout with no intention of using it. I have thought of doing this as well, though I don't know exactly what criteria my new crankset needs to fit this conversion. Interested in pics also.

eff
    mtbr member
    68mm/73mm BB's will fit. The BB Shell or housing measure 73mm so no spacers are required. Such as these:

Truvativ GXP BB | SRAM

Most all the cranks I looked at came with the BB.

mtbr member
    Oh I already upgraded my whole crankset and BB, I was just thinking if the new kit would be compatible to start taking things off and work with a 1x9 setup. I'm sure it will, just trying to visualize it I guess.

eff
    mtbr member
    I wouldn't imagine there would be an issue.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a bashwich on their revel? Curious if it will rub on the chainstay...

mtbr member
    Picked up some Avid speed dial 7's today at the lbs. Can't wait to see what they feel like!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney Boogz View Post
    Picked up some Avid speed dial 7's today at the lbs. Can't wait to see what they feel like!
    They're great. Really worth the $20

mtbr member
    I really like them, and they look sharp

I got them for $28 so cheaper than buying online and still well worth it imo. Can't wait for spring to get here!

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney Boogz View Post
    I really like them, and they look sharp

I got them for $28 so cheaper than buying online and still well worth it imo. Can't wait for spring to get here!
    Why wait! We rode off in 6 weather this past Sunday.

eff
    mtbr member
    Here are a couple of images.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So picked up my Revel 0 yesterday and couldnt be happier now i just have to wait for this ridiculous wisconsin winter to be over lol. Now i have two questions, the only things i liked that the other bikes i test rode had was hydraulic brakes, and was wondering what a decent (dont need top of the line, just reliable) set would be. Also, the tires are relatively smooth in terms of tread compared to other bikes, which will be great when im riding with the family, however what would be some good tires to get for the trails?

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast