Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43
Results 1,051 to 1,055 of 1055

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi folks,

So my son is using a Revel 2 2014 and he's accident prone on trails and teeter totters. The last time off the teeter totter lost him the plastic "chainguard" off the crankset. And then two weekends later, after we figured it wasn't really necessary, he took a header off a berm but somehow managed to gouge 4 holes into the back of his calf on the chain side. So now I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket bashguard is in order...but as far as I can tell the crankset isn't designed to accept aftermarket guards?

Has anyone replaced their bashguard on the Suntour NEX that comes with the bike or do I need to look at replacing the whole crankset...and if so, any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicius View Post
    Hi folks,

So my son is using a Revel 2 2014 and he's accident prone on trails and teeter totters. The last time off the teeter totter lost him the plastic "chainguard" off the crankset. And then two weekends later, after we figured it wasn't really necessary, he took a header off a berm but somehow managed to gouge 4 holes into the back of his calf on the chain side. So now I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket bashguard is in order...but as far as I can tell the crankset isn't designed to accept aftermarket guards?

Has anyone replaced their bashguard on the Suntour NEX that comes with the bike or do I need to look at replacing the whole crankset...and if so, any recommendations?
    Not sure what the specs for the Suntour Nex are, but if you can find the size of the second and third chainrings, you can buy a a bashring that is smaller than the third/biggest chain ring and slightly larger than the middle chainring. Then you just simply unbolt the biggest chainring and replace it with the bashring. That's what I did on my Giant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello. I bought a new Revel 29er a couple of weeks ago. I been riding the heck out of it here in Winder, Ga at Fort Yargo. I'm looking for a better set of tires. At least one with better grip for the rear. I'm thinking about the Panaracer Comet Hardpack. I'm looking to stay the same size as the stock tire. Any suggestions on a good tire? Don't really need a velociraptor type, just something a little better for those uphill climbs on pine needles and leaves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks SquirrelSHO. So if I stay with that crankset then I'm looking at removing the 3rd chainring. Otherwise I need to find a new crankset, maybe one that has a built in metal version.

While I don't think my son uses his third chainring, I can't say for sure. I'm hesitant to remove it if he likes using that gearing for riding around town. So it sounds like my only option would be to replace the crankset. They seem pretty inexpensive to get into a removable guard so that may be the best bet.

Thanks again for the response,

Medicius

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Revel 0 29er

Had my Revel for almost 2 years now and just decided to make an account and post my build. I've used mtbr.com and this thread for ideas/inspirations since I purchased the bike. Just would like to give credit to all the members who post their own which has helped me in building up my bike.

2013 Revel 0 29er

Revel Thread-angle.jpgRevel Thread-front-bars.jpgRevel Thread-cockpit.jpgRevel Thread-front-barswheel.jpgRevel Thread-front-wheel.jpgRevel Thread-stem.jpgRevel Thread-drivetrain.jpgRevel Thread-whole.jpg

Upgrades:

Sunringle Black Flag Expert Tubeless Wheelset
    Continental Mtn. King Protection Tires 2.4" F/R
    RockShox XC 30 Gold Solo Air Fork 100mm
    XTR QR Skewers F/R
    Shimano M615 Brakes 180/160mm rotors
    RaceFace Evolve Stem 70mm
    Forte Bars 720mm
    Forte Seat Post
    Forte Saddle
    Nuke Proof Electron Pedals
    RaceFace Strafe Lock-on Grips