Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43
Results 1,051 to 1,064 of 1064

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi folks,

So my son is using a Revel 2 2014 and he's accident prone on trails and teeter totters. The last time off the teeter totter lost him the plastic "chainguard" off the crankset. And then two weekends later, after we figured it wasn't really necessary, he took a header off a berm but somehow managed to gouge 4 holes into the back of his calf on the chain side. So now I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket bashguard is in order...but as far as I can tell the crankset isn't designed to accept aftermarket guards?

Has anyone replaced their bashguard on the Suntour NEX that comes with the bike or do I need to look at replacing the whole crankset...and if so, any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicius View Post
    Hi folks,

So my son is using a Revel 2 2014 and he's accident prone on trails and teeter totters. The last time off the teeter totter lost him the plastic "chainguard" off the crankset. And then two weekends later, after we figured it wasn't really necessary, he took a header off a berm but somehow managed to gouge 4 holes into the back of his calf on the chain side. So now I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket bashguard is in order...but as far as I can tell the crankset isn't designed to accept aftermarket guards?

Has anyone replaced their bashguard on the Suntour NEX that comes with the bike or do I need to look at replacing the whole crankset...and if so, any recommendations?
    Not sure what the specs for the Suntour Nex are, but if you can find the size of the second and third chainrings, you can buy a a bashring that is smaller than the third/biggest chain ring and slightly larger than the middle chainring. Then you just simply unbolt the biggest chainring and replace it with the bashring. That's what I did on my Giant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello. I bought a new Revel 29er a couple of weeks ago. I been riding the heck out of it here in Winder, Ga at Fort Yargo. I'm looking for a better set of tires. At least one with better grip for the rear. I'm thinking about the Panaracer Comet Hardpack. I'm looking to stay the same size as the stock tire. Any suggestions on a good tire? Don't really need a velociraptor type, just something a little better for those uphill climbs on pine needles and leaves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks SquirrelSHO. So if I stay with that crankset then I'm looking at removing the 3rd chainring. Otherwise I need to find a new crankset, maybe one that has a built in metal version.

While I don't think my son uses his third chainring, I can't say for sure. I'm hesitant to remove it if he likes using that gearing for riding around town. So it sounds like my only option would be to replace the crankset. They seem pretty inexpensive to get into a removable guard so that may be the best bet.

Thanks again for the response,

Medicius

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Revel 0 29er

Had my Revel for almost 2 years now and just decided to make an account and post my build. I've used mtbr.com and this thread for ideas/inspirations since I purchased the bike. Just would like to give credit to all the members who post their own which has helped me in building up my bike.

2013 Revel 0 29er

Revel Thread-angle.jpgRevel Thread-front-bars.jpgRevel Thread-cockpit.jpgRevel Thread-front-barswheel.jpgRevel Thread-front-wheel.jpgRevel Thread-stem.jpgRevel Thread-drivetrain.jpgRevel Thread-whole.jpg

Upgrades:

Sunringle Black Flag Expert Tubeless Wheelset
    Continental Mtn. King Protection Tires 2.4" F/R
    RockShox XC 30 Gold Solo Air Fork 100mm
    XTR QR Skewers F/R
    Shimano M615 Brakes 180/160mm rotors
    RaceFace Evolve Stem 70mm
    Forte Bars 720mm
    Forte Seat Post
    Forte Saddle
    Nuke Proof Electron Pedals
    RaceFace Strafe Lock-on Grips
    Cane Creek 40 series Headset
    1x9 w/ RaceFace NW 32t Chainring
    Origin 8 Top Chain Guide
    Bionicon C Guide Eco

mtbr member

Revel 29er

Just picked up my Revel 29er on Saturday. Took her out today on a ride before the super bowl. Love the bike. Just glad to have it. Plan on upgrading but will take time as budget allows. In the meantime I'm just gonna ride it!!!Revel Thread-img_1417.jpg

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Giant 29er Bike

Would you guys say this is a good deal? This is a 29er right? I've seen some specs online, including Giants website, saying this model is a 26er? I wanted to clear this up since I really want a 29er and this seems like the best deal I've seen in awhile.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Redforce View Post
    Just picked up my Revel 29er on Saturday. Took her out today on a ride before the super bowl. Love the bike. Just glad to have it. Plan on upgrading but will take time as budget allows. In the meantime I'm just gonna ride it!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1417.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	960852
    I just bought this bike for my son. There are two upgrades that I would like to make to the bike. One is immediate and one is over time.
    The first one is to put on a RockShox XC30Tk Fork. I have not found any information on the steerer though. The fork that I am looking at is 1 1/8". Will this work for the 2012 Revel 29er? Also, I would like to change it to a 100mm travel as opposed to the 80mm travel. Is this possible?
    I am also thinking about changing out the groupset to Deore but may wait for things to go south first.

eff
    mtbr member
    Yes it is a 1-1/8 steering tube. I have a 26" and it came with 100mm of travel so I'm guessing you will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am planning on the same mods to my bike. As to your specific questions I am a newb myself so I would say try your lbs. However, based on whatthewhat did (post above mine) I would say your chances are good to do the mods you want. But again, check with the experts at your lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I just purchased a 2015 Giant Revel and it will arrive on Thursday. I am a former mtb rider turned Road rider. I am starting up mtb again now that my son is getting into it. He is getting a Giant ATX (?) kids mtb for his 8th bday in a few weeks.
    I hate the shock that comes with the bike so I have already upgraded it to the Suntour Raidon. I have noticed many different upgrades that have been made by people on this board. I can't say about handlebars, tires, brakes and seats as I have not ridden mine yet.
    I am curious why most people are going with new wheels over the groupset. I have the Deore LX on my 1994 GT mtb that I recently converted to a hybrid set up. The 20 yr old groupset shifted better than what is currently on the Giant that I bought. Perhaps the one that I rode was not tuned properly but I would have thought that the groupset would be one of the first things to upgrade.
    My plan was to ride this bike as is for a year or two and then upgrade it to the SLX or Deore. Have you found that you have gotten more out of the wheel upgrade? If so, what wheels did you go with and what was the budget that you set?

mtbr member
    I haven't upgraded anything yet. My budget is dictating that. I would like to do the fork first then the drivetrain. I have been going back and forth between the Raidon and the Rockshox xc 30 tk. It does seem like the Raidon is a better fork but on the other hand it seems like most people have a fox for rockshox suspension fork on their bike. Please let me know what you think of the Raidon. It's basically the same price as the xc 30 and it does seem to be a shock that has more to it. Maybe your opinion will sway me over. After the fork I plan on upgrading everything else to a deore. You can follow the link here:

Amazon.com: shimano deore

and you'll see you can find all the components you need for $400. That's a pretty good deal. Toss in another $100 or so to have the bike shop hook it up for you and that's a pretty decent bike for the money. I do plan on upgrading the tires but I don't think I'll do the rims. I could change my mind but for now that's what I'm thinking of doing. Let me know how things go for you. Happy Riding!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I will definitely let you know about the fork. As for the upgrades, Amazon is too expensive. Try merlincycles.com. The Rockshox that you mentioned is only $111 and the deore groupset is only $207. I have used them before for road bike parts and I know many others who have as well. They are totally legit. In fact, I was going to buy that fork last week but their PayPal link was not working properly. That got me doing some more research and I ended up going with the Raidon instead.

mtbr member
    Thanx for tip! I appreciate it very much. I will check out the Merlin website. Anything to save money. Have fun riding. I went to Diamond Valley Lake today and rode 23 miles today. Perfect day. Totally awesome.Revel Thread-img_1517.jpg

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43