Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    You gonna hit up Alafia/Balm anytime soon?
    Was hoping to this weekend, but I have a friend of mine who wants to go, so we're going to Carter Rd instead. He's on a Wally World bike, so I don't want to go far from home.

I do have a camping trip with my daughter and a friend and his son planned to Alafia on the 16th of Feburary though

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looking at purchasing a 2013 Revel 0 for my first mtb. For some reason they just really catch my eye and i feel like they are a pretty good value (with exception of the front fork) any suggestions on some simple upgrades that will help me get a bit more value from the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techGuy714 View Post
    Looking at purchasing a 2013 Revel 0 for my first mtb. For some reason they just really catch my eye and i feel like they are a pretty good value (with exception of the front fork) any suggestions on some simple upgrades that will help me get a bit more value from the bike?
    Those are good bikes...they already come with Avid BB5 brakes and X5 drivetrain.

I'd say run it as is, and replace the fork in a month or two when you start noticing it's suckage. You'll notice when your skill level will outdo the fork.

Make sure to take advantage of Suntours excellent upgrade program.

mtbr member
    Is anyone having issue finding shifters in 8 speed?

I really want these, BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Deore M590 Shifter Pods 9 Speed, but they are 9 speed.

Your Best Friend
    So go 9 speed! A Deore 9 speed cassette isn't expensive and this would be a great upgrade to your bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    So go 9 speed! A Deore 9 speed cassette isn't expensive and this would be a great upgrade to your bike.
    I was just thinking the same. I'll have to wait though, the Deore 9 speed is $90.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I was just thinking the same. I'll have to wait though, the Deore 9 speed is $90.
    HUH?!!! Maybe the XT cassette but a quick google search finds all the Deore 9 speed cassettes for around $25.

mtbr member
    HUH?!!! Maybe the XT cassette but a quick google search finds all the Deore 9 speed cassettes for around $25.
    Ahhh ok, theres a Deore XT and a Deore...I see now.

I'm going to skip that for now anyways, as the shifters really don't bother me all that much.

I did pick up this, because I want to cut down the bars, but I don't want to do it to the stock bars in case I sell this thing when I upgrade: BlueSkyCycling.com - Race Face Ride Xc Low Riser Bar w/ Race Face Evolve Stem Kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Is that a MRP bashguard?

What forks are you going to get?

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney Boogz View Post
    Is that a MRP bashguard?

What forks are you going to get?
    That is the BBG bashguard. BBG Website

I am upgrading the crank and drivetrain to 9 speed, Sram X9 and Truvative Stylo. The fork I am still up in the air, but I am leaning toward Rockshox Recon Silver Solo Air.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just test rode a Talon 1, Revel 0, trek marlin and mamba. The marlin was super unimpressive, and the mamba was ok. The talon 1 was nice but in the end the Revel just felt great to ride. So on Tuesday I'm going to buy my first mountain bike which will be the Revel 0. So pumped

mtbr member
    I need some advice -

My rear cassette is needing replacement, since I am learning on it, it's taking a beating.

I want to upgrade the entire drivetrain to the Deore level. I notice there's Deore and Deore XT level of components. What's the difference between these?

When I look for a front derailleur some say top cable and others say bottom cable... Do I need a top cable? If I do it right, I can make this conversion to 9 speed close to around $100

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend
    Even though it says "deore" XT, ignore the Deore part. Shimano components go in this order: XTR, XT, SLX/Saint, Deore, and then general junk that works but should be replaced ASAP. Go for a straight Deore drivetrain and you'll have good components.

Many derailleurs are dual pull. Basically just get one that looks like the one you have.

mtbr member
    Even though it says "deore" XT, ignore the Deore part. Shimano components go in this order: XTR, XT, SLX/Saint, Deore, and then general junk that works but should be replaced ASAP. Go for a straight Deore drivetrain and you'll have good components.

Many derailleurs are dual pull. Basically just get one that looks like the one you have.
    Do you think the Deore drivetrain will be a good replacement over the Alivio that is on it now? Maybe I should shoot for SLX if I can fit it into the budget?

2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend
    So now you see the curse of upgradeitis. Yes, Deore is good, but of course...if SLX fits your budget you should go for it.

mtbr member
    So now you see the curse of upgradeitis. Yes, Deore is good, but of course...if SLX fits your budget you should go for it.
    Would it be silly not to replace the front derailleur at all? I have never shifted the front derailleur in actual use. If I did that, I could SLX rear derailleur and cassette and XT shifters.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    That is the BBG bashguard.
    Did you order the 104 bcd guard? If so do they fit on the 106 bcd crank? Tried searching but kept getting mixed answers.

Also does anyone know if you can make a bashwich on the revel 1?

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney Boogz View Post
    Did you order the 104 bcd guard? If so do they fit on the 106 bcd crank? Tried searching but kept getting mixed answers.

Also does anyone know if you can make a bashwich on the revel 1?
    It's the 104 BCD. I think the Suntour site has a typo. I also considered a bashwich but it looks like the inner guard will hit the chainstay. I went with the N-Gear Jump Stop.

Your Best Friend
    It's not silly. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

mtbr member
    It's not silly. If that's what you want to do, go for it.
    Front Derailuers are so cheap there's not really a reason not to replace it, I've learned since posting that question.

Do I need a long or medium cage rear derailuer?

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Front Derailuers are so cheap there's not really a reason not to replace it, I've learned since posting that question.

Do I need a long or medium cage rear derailuer?
    If you are keeping 3 chainrings you will need the long cage. If going to 1x or 2x than run a medium cage.

More detail here When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?

mtbr member
    If you are keeping 3 chainrings you will need the long cage. If going to 1x or 2x than run a medium cage.

More detail here When to use a Long Cage vs Short Cage Derailleur?
    Ahh, now that you said that, it makes sense. More chainrings means longer chain which means longer cage to take up the slack.

Thank you. I can't rep you, as I must have repped you recently.

:EDIT:

From reading that link, looks like it might be a good idea for me to relearn my gears using the biggest chainring, since that would give me more clearence with the rear derailuer. Right now, my favorites tend to be 2/ 2-3-4-5

Your Best Friend
    Clearance with your RD isn't really ever an issue. It's so close to the wheel that the tire itself creates a barrier before anything hits the RD. I've been riding since 1991 and knock on wood, never broken a RD.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by techGuy714 View Post
    Just test rode a Talon 1, Revel 0, trek marlin and mamba. The marlin was super unimpressive, and the mamba was ok. The talon 1 was nice but in the end the Revel just felt great to ride. So on Tuesday I'm going to buy my first mountain bike which will be the Revel 0. So pumped
    I'm pretty sure you'll like it. I like mine a lot. I test rode a GT and a TREK but had to settle on the Revel 0.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Learned en route ....

I was mounting a tubular luggage rack to my Revel yesterday and discovered that the 5mm X 10 rack mounting screws in the seat stays are garbage. Very weak metal. I had one bust off and never felt it coming. Did not strip or cross-thread it, either. Had to use a drill & extractor to remove it - total PITA. Replaced with 5mm stainless cap screws. Much better.

On the bright side, it was a lovely afternoon for a ride on the Revel to the hardware store for an extractor and new screws.

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast