Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    I ran the tires today at 65# but I think I need to lower that for off-road. I was having traction issues, especially in loose stuff and uneven surfaces like pebble fields.
    You should cut that in half. We usually run about 32#.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    You should cut that in half. We usually run about 32#.

Agreed, I hang around 40 or so. It is firm enough to roll but I still get good traction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Agreed, I hang around 40 or so. It is firm enough to roll but I still get good traction.
    Thanx to eff and coling for the pressure advice.

I think I'll drop to 40 for my next time out and bring a pressure gauge if I have to go lower.

@eff - good to know I can go as low as #32. Pinch flats much of a problem at that pressure?

mtbr member
    I ran as low as 25 without knowing it, over a rather root filled trail. Not that I suggest it, however.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    I ran as low as 25 without knowing it, over a rather root filled trail.

Kewl!

Good to know you can runj that close to "flat" and at my weight 25# might not be enough, but that said ....

The place closest to my home doesn't have roots. It has rocks - there are occasional pebble fields with rocks ranging from golf ball size up to watermellon.

Being as new to serious MTB'ing as I am to my bike, those fields were challenging at 65#

mtbr member
    Yea, the lower psi makes the ride more comfortable as well. But on some hard pack jack it up and you're flying.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Here 'tis

Finally got my 10 in

Here's the bike as it looked yesterday

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How wide of a tire will the Revel frame allow?

mtbr member
    I think you would want to consider the rim the tire bead is inside of before pushing it too far. Its like getting mud tires on your truck. its safe to get wider wheels at the same time. I wouldn't run anything wider than 2.3 or maybe 2.4. I have a 2.1 and it gets plenty of grip.

mtbr member
    Need a bit of help.

I'm about to take advantage of the Suntour upgrade program, and I can either get the Raidon or the Epicon. I know the Raidon is a good fork for the money, but the Epicon is one of their best for sub-300, so that's hard to pass up.

The Epicon has a 15mm through axle..will this work on the stock hubs on the Revel 1?

mtbr member
    I dont believe so, the stock fork is not a 15mm through axle.

I believe I put my last 11 miles on my Revel, new bike soon. :O

Your Best Friend
    No, they are not convertible. You'll need a new hub as well and then of course, a new wheel build by either you or your LBS.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    No, they are not convertible. You'll need a new hub as well and then of course, a new wheel build by either you or your LBS.
    Welp... Looks like its the Raidon then. Not willing to spend that kind of dough. Unless there's a standard Epicon, which I doubt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    You can keep an eye out for 29" anthem/trance front wheels. They have a 15QR, they pop up on pink bike often.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiSocialClimber View Post
    Thanx to eff and coling for the pressure advice.

I think I'll drop to 40 for my next time out and bring a pressure gauge if I have to go lower.

@eff - good to know I can go as low as #32. Pinch flats much of a problem at that pressure?
    None yet, we climb over a lot of rocks and the lower pressure really helps with traction.

mtbr member
    None yet, we climb over a lot of rocks and the lower pressure really helps with traction.
    I've ran mine as low as 25 before and there was no pinching. The stock tires seem to have very stiff sidewalls.

My amazing deal of getting BB7's for $25 fell through, so I just bought a brand new set with HS1 rotors for $55 shipped. Should be here next week.

Does anyone else have problems with the stock Tecktros being total crap? I've adjusted them, I've had my LBS adjust them... And they'll always work amazing the first time out after adjusting, and then it's back to suckage.

Can't wait to get them in and then upgrade the fork and I'll be a happy camper.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    As a beginner I'm thinking about getting a Revel 1. I'm in Long Island, Ny and enjoy riding around the nearby trails. I'm wondering if you guys would recommend this bike. Hows it treating all of you on the trails? How much did you pay, does anyone have a 2013? Any upgrades needed when I first get it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Does anyone else have problems with the stock Tecktros being total crap? I've adjusted them, I've had my LBS adjust them... And they'll always work amazing the first time out after adjusting, and then it's back to suckage.

Can't wait to get them in and then upgrade the fork and I'll be a happy camper.

Yes........ they suck balls!!! I'm gonna look up the bb7 ebay deal after posting this!

A new fork will definitely make you a happy camper! I didn't realize how much effect it had on my riding until I bought the R/S silver recon solo air.

eff
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I think they totally suck. I already installed the Avid Speed Dial levers and that made a big difference, and I plan to upgrade to BB7's in a month or so.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith421 View Post
    As a beginner I'm thinking about getting a Revel 1. I'm in Long Island, Ny and enjoy riding around the nearby trails. I'm wondering if you guys would recommend this bike. Hows it treating all of you on the trails? How much did you pay, does anyone have a 2013? Any upgrades needed when I first get it?
    I really like my Revel, but there are some short comings:

1. Fork
    2. Brakes
    3. 8 speed cassette (I need better low gear selection and the 22t chainring doesn't get where I want to be either.)

Now compared to other bikes in it's class the Revel comes with better components across the board at a lower price. That said it's worth of purchase and use out of the box and then upgrade as funds allow or you brake something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith421 View Post
    It is a good bike.

I had about $2200 set aside, and I was either getting a Trance X or a Scott Spark but then I got engaged and having to pay for the wedding out of pocket, I gave that to the fiancee. That said, I had to readjust my budget. I picked up the 2013 Revel 1 for $500 and I was a bit deflated. For the most part, it met most of my expectations, even though I was wanting a much more high end bike.

It's two biggest weak points are the brakes and the front fork IMO.

The brakes aren't terrible per se, just under performing. They tend to get a little "soft" feeling but they do work. I don't think they were meant for real aggressive riding.

The fork, is jello. Under hard braking it flexes and you'll see the top of the tire push left about an 8th of an inch... This is normal though for lower end forks. It works and it's smoother than a rigid fork, but you'll want to plan to upgrade it if you do any kind of aggressive riding.

Fortunately, Suntour has a killer upgrade program right now, where you can get their mid level air fork for $175 which is what I'm doing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think they totally suck. I already installed the Avid Speed Dial levers and that made a big difference, and I plan to upgrade to BB7's in a month or so.
    I was looking into those....what about them made such a big difference?

I bought BB7's with HS1 rotors for mine, but I'll be using the stock levers and cables at first.

Are these the ones you got? Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers > Components > Brakes > Mountain Bike Brake Levers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

eff
    mtbr member
    I was looking into those....what about them made such a big difference?

I bought BB7's with HS1 rotors for mine, but I'll be using the stock levers and cables at first.

Are these the ones you got? Avid Speed Dial 7 Levers > Components > Brakes > Mountain Bike Brake Levers | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    I found the Tektro brakes were on or off. No feel what so ever. The Avid levers allow you to adjust the pull so that you can fine tune how hard the lever is to pull. That made the brakes tolerable for now. I highly recommend getting a set. Only $15-$20 and well worth it IMHO.

mtbr member
    I found the Tektro brakes were on or off. No feel what so ever. The Avid levers allow you to adjust the pull so that you can fine tune how hard the lever is to pull. That made the brakes tolerable for now. I highly recommend getting a set. Only $15-$20 and well worth it IMHO.
    Ordered them.

Looking forward to redoing the brakes on this thing.

Still be using the stock cables, but that's fine with me.

mtbr member
    You gonna hit up Alafia/Balm anytime soon?

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast