Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 1100

Thread: Revel Thread

  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Nice fork! How'd it do on the trails?

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Was able to try out my contour roam at a local park:

    Lake Chabot MTB Ride - YouTube

  3. #203
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    They worked very well. Still playing with the settings but I'm really loving them.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    Was able to try out my contour roam at a local park:

    Lake Chabot MTB Ride - YouTube
    I love where I ride, but man, where you're at is gorgeous.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Thanks. It was taken at a local park in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'll try to catch Marin on film next time I go there because that place has amazing views of the California coast. Definitely one of my favorite places to mtb.

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    26
    Just picked up 2013 Revel 0 29er. Love it so far!! Threw on some eggbeater pedals. Going to get the avid speed dial levers the current ones dont seem to fit right against the x5 shifters

  7. #207
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249
    The speed dial levers will give you much better feel and modulation with the existing brakes.

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    My 2012 Revel 1



  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Glad to see a Revel thread.

    Here's my 2011..



    Only upgrade so far are the tires.



    (Right) Geax Saguaro TNT 2.2 (Left) Kenda Small Block 8



    Depending on how you mount the tires, you can either have them for Speed or Traction. I have both F&R set up for Speed right now. Some ppl like Speed for Front and Traction for Rear.

    This thread has given me inspiration!

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    The speed dial levers will give you much better feel and modulation with the existing brakes.
    Seconded.

    I had them on for a few days before my BB7's and it was a big difference.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    Nice bikes.

    Rode 10 miles at the park near my place. It was a fun ride, but the climbing was tough due to the heat.


  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

    Rode 10 miles at the park near my place. It was a fun ride, but the climbing was tough due to the heat.
    Heat? Lucky. Where do you live?

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    I'm from California. The weather was only about 60 degrees yesterday, but doing a lot of climbing while the sun is constantly beaming down on you makes it feel so much warmer than it actually is.

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Does anyone know what the weight of the stock Revel 1 29er wheels are?

    Hoping someone knows before I pulled them apart to weigh them.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Has anyone here done the Suntour Fork Loyalty Upgrade Program?

    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

    "Forks currently available through this program include the following SR Suntour models
    • Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 26” $150.00
    • Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29” $175.00
    • Epicon TAD 15Qlc 150-110 Disc Blk/White 26” $250.00
    • Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29” $275.00
    • Axon RL 15Qlc Blk/White 26” $300.00"

    Just looking for input...

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akaBrowntown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    412
    The poster above did and has updates in this thread.

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Has anyone here done the Suntour Fork Loyalty Upgrade Program?

    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

    "Forks currently available through this program include the following SR Suntour models
    •Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 26” $150.00
    •Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29” $175.00
    •Epicon TAD 15Qlc 150-110 Disc Blk/White 26” $250.00
    •Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29” $275.00
    •Axon RL 15Qlc Blk/White 26” $300.00"

    Just looking for input...
    I did and I've got about 200 miles on it, it's a great fork, seems to be on par with a Reba from riding one and talking with other people.

    Search my name in this thread and you'll see a short write up I did.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I did and I've got about 200 miles on it, it's a great fork, seems to be on par with a Reba from riding one and talking with other people.

    Search my name in this thread and you'll see a short write up I did.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I actually went back and read your post. Thank you!
    I'm puzzled though, the program says "Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 26” $150.00 " but I do not see this exact one on their website currently. I see a "Raidon LO R Coil 26" - SR SUNTOUR Cycling

    Is this the same fork at the one offered for the 29er (Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29” $175.00)?

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    Hello, I've been watching your mods here and am thinking of doing some myself. I am totally clueless to one though? Where you remove a gear from the crank and put the cover in its place. Im buying a 2013 29er 1 soon and was just curious where it might help? Thanks for the thread

  20. #220
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Quantic View Post
    Hello, I've been watching your mods here and am thinking of doing some myself. I am totally clueless to one though? Where you remove a gear from the crank and put the cover in its place. Im buying a 2013 29er 1 soon and was just curious where it might help? Thanks for the thread
    It is a simple mod. Just unscrew the 4 chainring bolts and substitute the large chainring for the guard and replace the bolts.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantic View Post
    Hello, I've been watching your mods here and am thinking of doing some myself. I am totally clueless to one though? Where you remove a gear from the crank and put the cover in its place. Im buying a 2013 29er 1 soon and was just curious where it might help? Thanks for the thread
    You talking of this?

    Revel Thread-camerazoom-20130226165105618.jpg

    That's called a bashguard and it replaces the big chainring on your crankset.

    You do this to convert to either a 1x or a 2x setup.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    I see, both aesthetic and functional right? IMO it looks better, must pertain to type of riding done, and if id a had one 5 yrs. ago on my first MB I probably wouldn't have the scar on my calf where the chain popped off attempting to ride a wheelie uphill over roots.... Lessons learned- 1.Research and ask questions, 2. Tune ups are important and 3. Don't buy the medium size because it's on clearance (especially if your 6' 1")..

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    Was able to try out my contour roam at a local park:

    Lake Chabot MTB Ride - YouTube
    Nice video. Never new Lake Chabot had trails like that. That is Lake Chabot as in Alameda? I use to go fishing there but entered through the parking lot at the golf course where there use to be a hole in the fence so it was much less of a hike. Is there a lot of climbing involved there? I have a friend who is just starting and wanted to do something without a lot of hefty climbs. I think Water Dog Lake in San Carlos would be too much for him.

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    It's definitely a fun ride, but there is some climbing involved. I start at the willow golf course off Redwood Rd. There's Climbing at the start of the trail all the way to the intersection of Brandon and Towhee trail, but I think the climb is manageable especially if you pace yourself. The downhill back to the parking lot is what makes the climb at the start worth it imo. That video I took was Brandon trail all the way up to the stone bridge and back again.

    Another option is going down Towhee then take either Live oak or Honker's bay trail which will lead to the bridge connecting the lake. Then ride up Cameron, turn left onto Ten Hills trail and left onto Brandon to the parking lot. Fun loop, but you have to be careful of the Live oak trail as it's fairly steep with lots of small rocks/ruts all over.

    Revel Thread-chabotride.jpg

  25. #225
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,544
    Picked up my son's new Revel 1 26" yesterday. He loves it, and it's a sharp looking bike. I got him the black/orange/white combination. He's out of school tomorrow, so we're going to hit some trail and break it in.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantic View Post
    I see, both aesthetic and functional right? IMO it looks better, must pertain to type of riding done, and if id a had one 5 yrs. ago on my first MB I probably wouldn't have the scar on my calf where the chain popped off attempting to ride a wheelie uphill over roots.... Lessons learned- 1.Research and ask questions, 2. Tune ups are important and 3. Don't buy the medium size because it's on clearance (especially if your 6' 1")..
    The aesthetics is a by product of the functionality.

    Keeps you from destroying your chainring, and the main reason I use it is to assist my chain guide in keeping the chain on the chain ring. Since I don't run a front derailuer anymore, it creates a sort of channel for the chain to stay in.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    It's definitely a fun ride, but there is some climbing involved. I start at the willow golf course off Redwood Rd. There's Climbing at the start of the trail all the way to the intersection of Brandon and Towhee trail, but I think the climb is manageable especially if you pace yourself. The downhill back to the parking lot is what makes the climb at the start worth it imo. That video I took was Brandon trail all the way up to the stone bridge and back again.

    Another option is going down Towhee then take either Live oak or Honker's bay trail which will lead to the bridge connecting the lake. Then ride up Cameron, turn left onto Ten Hills trail and left onto Brandon to the parking lot. Fun loop, but you have to be careful of the Live oak trail as it's fairly steep with lots of small rocks/ruts all over.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chabotride.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	780627
    Thanks. Thats super helpful. I guess I won't be taking him out there just yet. I guess I'll be starting him off with some easy Golden Gate Park riding.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3
    man that's awesome, must invest. Thanks a bunch.

  29. #229
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    early ride this morning before we got hit with rain/snow mix..


  30. #230
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    35
    Got my Revel 3 a couple of weeks ago, been riding some, just in random places since I live out in the country, no trails close, will have to find some.
    Should I keep the Revel 3 and just upgrade everything on it eventually or just swap it out with a Revel 1 when I feel like I have surpassed the capabilities of the stock components?
    I kinda wanna keep it and make the whole thing unique and maybe plasti-dip the frame later to disguise it and make people ask?

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    26
    Anyone know how much the 2013 revel 0 frame weighs?

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    I love my Manitou fork. When I had the Suntour xcm on my bike, my arms and legs would sometimes get sore during the downhill sections because of all the jolting. Now, I can ride those same trails so much faster with minimal fatigue.

    Revel Thread-img0212tx.jpg
    Last edited by Oakeshott; 03-19-2013 at 08:56 AM.

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3
    I am knew to mountain biking and looking forward to it. So I am kinda do some research and such. I am not sure how aggressive I will be so I was searching around and I came across Revel 2 2012. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on this bike or how reliable is Revel or Giant. From what I read on here it is a pretty good bike. Any suggestion, advice input is most appreciated. Thanks

  34. #234
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    I love my Manitou fork.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0212tx.jpg 
Views:	5999 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	782411
    Which Manitou fork?

  35. #235
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedhondos View Post
    I am knew to mountain biking and looking forward to it. So I am kinda do some research and such. I am not sure how aggressive I will be so I was searching around and I came across Revel 2 2012. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on this bike or how reliable is Revel or Giant. From what I read on here it is a pretty good bike. Any suggestion, advice input is most appreciated. Thanks
    Actually just picked up a 2012 Revel 2 for the wife. Haven't taken it out on the trails yet, but riding around the neighborhood.. the bike felt pretty good. IMO, the bike will survive our local trails here.

    For me, I have a 2011 Revel 1 and so far it has held up fine after 3 trail rides (I'm a beginner too and picked up the bike end of last year). I plan to go a lot more this year so I'll see how the components survive. With regular maintenance I do not any issues really. Besides obviously going on here and reading "better" components to "upgrade" the bike with. For upgrades, all I really have done is tires and grip. Looking at maybe replacing the pedals. And really thinking hard about the Suntour fork upgrade.

    Here's a short video of the trail we rode this past weekend - Allaire State Park, NJ - Orange Trail - YouTube
    Last edited by ericgautier; 03-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    It's a Manitou Match Comp 100mm. I got it from price point for $219. The Minute Expert looks really nice too, but it was out of my budget so I went with the Match instead. Rides over roots/rocks/ruts are much smoother now compared to the stock Suntour xcm. It makes me wonder what a full suspension bike would feel like on the bumpy segments of the trail. Maybe one day lol.

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    I love my Manitou fork. When I had the Suntour xcm on my bike, my arms and legs would sometimes get sore during the downhill sections because of all the jolting. Now, I can ride those same trails so much faster with minimal fatigue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0212tx.jpg 
Views:	5999 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	782411
    At first I thought your fork was backwards becasue the fork brace is on the back of the fork, lol.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  38. #238
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    At first I thought your fork was backwards becasue the fork brace is on the back of the fork, lol.
    Yeah, that does look a little odd... Seems to me if the fork was fully compressed the brace would smash into the frame ????

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Oakeshott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    191
    The reverse arch looked strange to me as well when I first got it.

    My original choice was actually a Rockshox Recon Silver, but after further research here on the forums, I learned that the Manitou has superior dampening over the recon. Some guys were comparing it to the Rockshox Reba. The low price to high performance ratio is what made me go with Manitou.

  40. #240
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    The reverse arch looked strange to me as well when I first got it.

    My original choice was actually a Rockshox Recon Silver, but after further research here on the forums, I learned that the Manitou has superior dampening over the recon. Some guys were comparing it to the Rockshox Reba. The low price to high performance ratio is what made me go with Manitou.
    I made the same choice in much the same manner. I am loving the Manitou Minute as well.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  41. #241
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    The reverse arch looked strange to me as well when I first got it.
    How close does it get to the frame when it's fully compressed?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  42. #242
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    How close does it get to the frame when it's fully compressed?
    I haven't noticed any clearance issues at all with mine. Not sure how close it gets though.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  43. #243
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Anyone know what size n gear jump stop the 26er needs?

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    My 2011 26er measured out to be 35.2 mm with a micrometer so I ordered a 34.9mm. Should be here within the next couple of days along with my second Schwalbe Rocket Ron!

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    My 2011 26er measured out to be 35.2 mm with a micrometer so I ordered a 34.9mm. Should be here within the next couple of days along with my second Schwalbe Rocket Ron!
    Awesome, thanks for the info and fast reply!

  46. #246
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Yup, its the 34.9.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  47. #247
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    A shot from our last trail ride



    Added:
    - Black Giant MTB Seat
    - Race Face Sniper Lock On Grips

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Anyone tried to mess around with their stem and/or spacers? Just wondering if you felt any difference?

  49. #249
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Anyone tried to mess around with their stem and/or spacers? Just wondering if you felt any difference?
    I just move mine down because it was too high. I noiced the improvement in handling.

    Its very easy to do so it is worth experimenting.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post


    Added:
    - Black Giant MTB Seat
    How would you compare the seat to the stocker?

  51. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney Boogz View Post
    How would you compare the seat to the stocker?
    Its actually a stock seat.. just in black (I had a white seat before). I just like the black color combo more.

  52. #252
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    I just move mine down because it was too high. I noiced the improvement in handling.

    Its very easy to do so it is worth experimenting.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Did you move all 3 spacers or kept at least one?

  53. #253
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Did you move all 3 spacers or kept at least one?
    You can't remove them, what you do is move them from below to above the stem. Move the one that lower the stem to the desired height.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  54. #254
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Did you move all 3 spacers or kept at least one?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  55. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    You can't remove them, what you do is move them from below to above the stem. Move the one that lower the stem to the desired height.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That is what I meant. I've been playing around with it and I think I like where it is at right now. Thanks everyone!

  56. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Does anyone know what size the Revel 1's rear axle is? 135 or 142?

    I can't find the info anywhere.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  57. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Does anyone know what size the Revel 1's rear axle is? 135 or 142?

    I can't find the info anywhere.
    try the live chat feature over at Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop they seem to know all the spec (at least when i tried it)

  58. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Need some help with my 2011 Revel 0. I just put on an n gear jump stop and recently before that I had the chain and cassette replaced. At the time the chain was put on it had all 3 rings and the front derailleur. I then took off the front derailleur and the small gear ring. I took the bike to the lbs yesterday to get a few links of the chain removed to help with some really bad chain slap....I was out riding today and went down a rocky area and the chain popped over the big ring and the rear derailleur ended up ramming into the cassette with the chain resting on the pedal/crank arm area. I don't really want to buy a $50 chain retention part but if there is nothing else that I can do to keep the chain from loosing tension and popping off over the big ring but if I have to I guess I will. Any suggestions?

  59. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    I need help finding some new bearings and cones for my front hubs. They are shot. Here's a pic.

    Does anyone know where I can get these?





    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  60. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    My lbs had new cones. They serviced my rear hub a month or so ago and it's already making noise again. Are these hubs crap or is the lbs doing it wrong?

  61. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shaney Boogz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    22
    Anyone know what bb our bikes take? I don't know much about them and i see the giant site doesn't have any info on them. Can someone post some examples?

  62. #262
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Standard sealed square drive. You can upgrade to outer bearings like the truvativ GXP.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  63. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    My lbs had new cones. They serviced my rear hub a month or so ago and it's already making noise again. Are these hubs crap or is the lbs doing it wrong?
    Is the inner race replaceable as well?


    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  64. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Is the inner race replaceable as well?


    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    When I had my hub apart it appeared that the inner race was built into the hub. I would have to replace the hub to replace it but I could be wrong. Did you ride yours for a while with it making noise to cause that damage?

  65. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    When I had my hub apart it appeared that the inner race was built into the hub. I would have to replace the hub to replace it but I could be wrong. Did you ride yours for a while with it making noise to cause that damage?

    Oddly, it never made any noise at all.

    I finally noticed it because I noticed that my rides would take more effort and that I'd be out of breath way earlier than normal.

    Spun the front wheel and felt rumbling at the QR with my fingers while it spun.

    Took it apart, and there you have it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  66. #266
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Yeah I had the out of breath problem too when my hub first started going out and I adjusted my disk brakes incorrectly. My friends were outrunning me coasting while I was peddling! I haven't had any issues with the front hub, just the rear and it makes noises before it slows down the rotations.

  67. #267
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,465
    You guys are all active MTBers and have far outclassed what this bike is capable of as it was (stock). You've all decided to do upgrades which is awesome but the wheels should have been the first thing to go. Now you know. The wheels aren't that great and aren't built for your abuse. Look to upgrade, not rebuild.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  68. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Wheels seem like a kinda pricy upgrade. I'm saving for a trance x2 right now. All the fixing and upgrading on the Revel has set me back a bit.

  69. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You guys are all active MTBers and have far outclassed what this bike is capable of as it was (stock). You've all decided to do upgrades which is awesome but the wheels should have been the first thing to go. Now you know. The wheels aren't that great and aren't built for your abuse. Look to upgrade, not rebuild.
    The owner of my LBS is going through his take off stock tomorrow morning. Says he thinks he has some DT Swiss rims that will be a nice upgrade that he'll sell to me for less than $100 so I'm likely going that route.

    :EDIT:

    Does anyone have an opinion on this wheelset?

    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Deore Disc 29er Wheelset w/ WTB FX 28 Rims

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 04-08-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  70. #270
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,465
    That wheelset will be better than what you have. You need more than just rims. As was mentioned, you really need the hubs as well. Many people are put off by the price of new wheels but they make a bigger difference than anything else you can put on your bike, to include a new fork.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  71. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    That wheelset will be better than what you have. You need more than just rims. As was mentioned, you really need the hubs as well. Many people are put off by the price of new wheels but they make a bigger difference than anything else you can put on your bike, to include a new fork.
    Well, I just got off the phone with my LBS and they are selling me a new set of Mavic 719's laced to Shimano XT hubs with Geax Saguaro tires for $248 out the door. Seems like a really good deal, especially from a brick and mortar store.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  72. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Well, I just got off the phone with my LBS and they are selling me a new set of Mavic 719's laced to Shimano XT hubs with Geax Saguaro tires for $248 out the door. Seems like a really good deal, especially from a brick and mortar store.
    sounds like a good deal.

  73. #273
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    So, yesterday (5th ride of the season) I noticed a lot of "chatter/noise" coming from the front fork. The only thing I did since the last ride was mess around w/ the spacers and stem. I do not hear the "chatter/noise" when I lift up the front end a little and drop it. But it is definitely there when riding the trail. Did I over tighten the top bolt? Or is it time to take advantage of the Suntour program?

  74. #274
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    249

    Re: Revel Thread

    Sometimes the cables make a lot of clatter. Make sure its not them.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

  75. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    So, yesterday (5th ride of the season) I noticed a lot of "chatter/noise" coming from the front fork. The only thing I did since the last ride was mess around w/ the spacers and stem. I do not hear the "chatter/noise" when I lift up the front end a little and drop it. But it is definitely there when riding the trail. Did I over tighten the top bolt? Or is it time to take advantage of the Suntour program?
    Mine made a lot of noise before I replaced it, I finally decided it was the internals of the fork. Does it sound like what you'd imagine a spring smacking a metal tube might sound like?

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  76. #276
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Sometimes the cables make a lot of clatter. Make sure its not them.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Good point. I will check next time I ride.

  77. #277
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Mine made a lot of noise before I replaced it, I finally decided it was the internals of the fork. Does it sound like what you'd imagine a spring smacking a metal tube might sound like?

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    That was first initial thoughts. Because the day before, we did hit up a trail with some bigger dropoffs than the usual. Need to inspect it more. Maybe apply some fork lube?

  78. #278
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Did you move the stem around before or after the drop offs? It may have not been fully pushed up into the frame and has a little wobble there when you tightened it?

  79. #279
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Did you move the stem around before or after the drop offs? It may have not been fully pushed up into the frame and has a little wobble there when you tightened it?
    I moved the stem before the drop offs. I checked to make sure it was tight.

  80. #280
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Probably the fork then. My friend did the suntour program with his xcr. He got the raidon x1 and that thing is nice. Just kinda weird it's after 5 rides or so.

  81. #281
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    I'm saving for a trance x2 right now.
    Same bike I think I'm going to end up with "next". We have a Giant demo day here soon and I cannot wait to try out both the Anthem and Trance.

  82. #282
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    I'm enjoying the Mavic TN719's and XT hubs. They roll so much better than the stock Formulas...

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  83. #283
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Does anyone know which type of tool I need to remove a cassette from a 2011 Revel 0?
    Revel 0 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

  84. #284
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    can anyone comment on the bbg bashguard install? was it easy to do? any special tools needed? picked up the 104 BCD DRILLED 32T..

  85. #285
    Who took my gears?
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    can anyone comment on the bbg bashguard install? was it easy to do? any special tools needed? picked up the 104 BCD DRILLED 32T..
    Super easy. Just an Allen wrench and about 10 minutes of your time.

  86. #286
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Does anyone know which type of tool I need to remove a cassette from a 2011 Revel 0?
    Revel 0 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Maybe this might help you - Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Cassette and Freewheel Removal

  87. #287
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Super easy. Just an Allen wrench and about 10 minutes of your time.
    thanks!

  88. #288
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Double post

  89. #289
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Probably going to list it for sale on craigslist soon.... Anyone have suggestions on the price? I'm not really sure what I should ask for it.

    What's the best way to upload photos from an iphone? Photobucket app seems to make the pic look really bad compared to the version on my phone.

  90. #290
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Probably going to list it for sale on craigslist soon.... Anyone have suggestions on the price? I'm not really sure what I should ask for it.

    What's the best way to upload photos from an iphone? Photobucket app seems to make the pic look really bad compared to the version on my phone.
    What are the specs?

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  91. #291
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Revel 0 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

    Pretty much stock minus the 1x conversion and relatively newdart 3 fork. I'll be throwing back on the Kenda SB8's and throw in a set of mud tires.
    New chain, cassette, brake pads with 2 extra sets, new grips.

  92. #292
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    can probably get $450 or more. i listed mine for $450 and got a few bites. mine is a 2011 revel 1 and not much mods compared to yours.

    edit: wait, is yours a 29er? also, what year?

  93. #293
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    It's just a 26er from 2011. $450 is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. I didn't want to list it for that until I knew I wasn't crazy and asking too much but it seems pretty fair. I haven't seen another Revel 0 for sale locally just some 2's for around $300.

  94. #294
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Good luck! Picking up the Trance 29er?

  95. #295
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    It's just a 26er from 2011. $450 is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. I didn't want to list it for that until I knew I wasn't crazy and asking too much but it seems pretty fair. I haven't seen another Revel 0 for sale locally just some 2's for around $300.
    For a 0 I'm pretty sure you'll get that much. Like I said, I had a few bites for my 1 but I couldn't pull the trigger to sell it (still waiting to demo a trance 29), plus I'm thinking of just keeping it for riding around the neighborhood/paved park with the little one.

  96. #296
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SQUIRRELSHOOTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    205
    Nope...buying a hard to pass up 29er hardtail. Then the trance sometime down the road. I'm not ready to spend 2k on a bike. I saw a pretty sweet 2011 trance x on ebay...custom build up but didn't win. Compared to the value of the parts on that bike it makes 2k for a less equipped bike seem a little crazy.

  97. #297
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441

    Re: Revel Thread

    Bought some new tires for the bike, got a Geax AKA for the rear and a Geax Saguaro for the front. Miles better than the factory generic Kenda's that came on it.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  98. #298
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Bought some new tires for the bike, got a Geax AKA for the rear and a Geax Saguaro for the front. Miles better than the factory generic Kenda's that came on it.

    Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    Nice! I'm rolling on Saguaro's both F&R. Which way did you mount the Front.. speed or traction? I have Front mounted to Traction and Rear mounted to Speed. So, far I like it a lot compared to Speed for both F&R.

  99. #299
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunk_Kracker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Nice! I'm rollin gon Saguaro's both F&R. Which way did you mount the Front.. speed or traction? I have Front mounted to Traction and Rear mounted to Speed. So, far I like it a lot compared to Speed for both F&R.
    Mounted it for speed and it's been very good.

    The AKA is already a very fast tire so it's a good match.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

  100. #300
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ericgautier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Nope...buying a hard to pass up 29er hardtail. Then the trance sometime down the road. I'm not ready to spend 2k on a bike. I saw a pretty sweet 2011 trance x on ebay...custom build up but didn't win. Compared to the value of the parts on that bike it makes 2k for a less equipped bike seem a little crazy.
    Gotcha. We have a demo day here coming up soon for Giant. Definitely can't wait to try the Trance in our local trails. Been debating between the Trance X2 or Spearfish 2.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •