Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.
    My 1x10 conversion consisted of:

- single speed crankset
    - cassette
    - RD
    - shifter
    - chain
    - chainguide

Click on my signature if you want to see a list of specific parts/models #'s I chose.

According to this article, Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar, I might be able to get away w/o using a chainguide. **Still undecided on that since I did buy the chainguide. LOL.

Definitely want to thank everyone on this thread for the help!

mtbr member
    OK -

For the crank, you need to remove the inner and outer chainrings. You can either; A. Get a bashguard and some sort of chainguide that works with a bashguard, like a N-Gear Jumpstop, or B. Get a chainguide designed for single speeds.

You'll need a new 10-speed cassette, a 10-speed rear derailleur, a 10 speed chain (I really like the KMC chains) and a 10 speed shifter pod. That's about it
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend

Re: Revel Thread

As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Cut the belt and then glue it back together. Itll be fine. :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    Giant Seek?

2012 Giant Seek 0 | Belt Bikes

mtbr member
    Excellent, doesn't seem so difficult after all. Definitely moving that direction. Can I throw out a roll-call pic request? I've seen most of the rides on here but how about either a) your favorite or b) most current.

I'll start:
    homemade infused jabenero vodka bloody mary with bacon slice garnish....whoops wrong thread

Revel Thread-mary.jpg

Last loadout on the way to Duthie Hill Park a couple weeks back

Revel Thread-jeeobike.jpg

mtbr member
    MTB is my "Get Fit" hobby. I'll have "recent" pics by this weekend of the completed setup.

The other is my "Get Fat--Smoker" hobby..

(Pellet smoker)

Revel Thread-prime.jpg
    (prime rib)

Revel Thread-wings.jpg
    (wings)

I've done.. bacon, pork shoulder, ribs, chicken.. etc..

mtbr member
    Oh, here's a recent favorite before all the changes...

Revel Thread-6mr.jpg

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeeobike.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	803886
    How do you like the crossbar for the bike rack?

mtbr member
    I like it, it's worked fine for me. the bar is the right diamterto sit snugly on my rubberized clamps on the rack itself. Also it is spring-loaded inside so once I clamp both sides it collapses inward to custom fit. There are designated sides for the stem versus the seatpost. I use a bungie to sinch the front wheel, rack, and down tube so it doesn't swing on the road or allow the front wheel/handlebar to turn.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I'm looking at getting one myself. Brand/model?

Right now, I use the downtube for the left side (or vice versa) to mount the bike on the rack.

Revel Thread-bikerack.jpg

You can sorta see it here. Wife's bike is an XS.. mine is a S. Plan is after I get a wheelset to transfer all my stock parts over to her bike and convert her from v-brake to disc.

mtbr member
    My favorite shots:
    Revel Thread-img0586fe.jpg

Revel Thread-img0640dm.jpg
    Love biking through the woods.

Revel Thread-img0772gl.jpg
    Gorgeous view of the California coast.

Revel Thread-img0802jf.jpg

Revel Thread-img0868hk.jpg
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.

mtbr member
    @Oakeshott: awesome views!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0868hk.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	803941
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.

mtbr member
    So I rode the same trail as the clip i posted a week ago but this time I set the GoPro to 1080/30 FPS and it was so much clearer. I'm not planning on taking the time to edit everything down again and bore everyone with the same trail (even though I'm dominating the more advanced structures that I was previously bypassing) but I'm set on that resolution as my standard. I was a bit discouraged by the video quality from the first one but clearly I was using the wrong setting for that style of shooting.

mtbr member
    Was actually playing around with an old footage... I'm still at 960 30fps. Export is 720p H.264.

Park info - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Franklin Township | Times and Records | Strava (only did 1/2 loop)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.
    Well I think it really depends on what type of riding you prefer. Downhill riding felt slightly nicer on the Trance, but it didn't feel as quick nor did it climb as well as the Anthem. The Trance weighed approximately 30 pounds on a small sized frame whereas the Anthem only weighed 26.5 pounds. The Anthem just felt way more nimble than the Trance. At the end of the demo, I still had a ton of energy left and I think it had a lot to do with the Anthem's weight.

I never rode 29ers before trying out these bikes, but now I'm seriously considering a 27.5 or 29er for my next bike. They seem to roll over rocks/roots/ruts extremely well even during those difficult climbs. Really, the worst thing about the whole experience was having to return them lol.

This review of the Anthem is pretty much spot on:
    Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 carbon review | Bike Magic

Cool vid btw, the music was epic.

mtbr member
    Aahh.. I didn't know there were 1 & 2's for the Anthem X Advanced 29er.. always thought it was only the 0 which is $9k msrp.

Yeah I'm going to wait and see if Giant makes the Anthem/Trance in a 27.5 wheel size.

mtbr member
    Revisiting the conversation about headsets...

Crane Creek has this "headset fit finder" - Headset Fit Finder but unfortunately, they do not list the Revel. So, I sent them an email and got this reply,

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

Does anyone have the "tools" to measure the ID of the head tube?

eff
    mtbr member
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

40-Series

mtbr member
    40 series is exactly what I'm looking at.

While I was working on the bike last week, the steering felt notchy (not as smooth as before) and this week while the bike is at the lbs for the fork install lbs recommended I look at "maybe" changing out the headset. I'll see how it feels later after picking up the bike. That's why I'm doing some research. C'mon 5-o'clock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

40-Series
    I really want to upgrade my headset, I ride in such wet conditions...and this is the last weak spot for water to bugger it up.

Are we sure these fit our bikes?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Seems we need to measure the ID of the head tube. I'll chat with the lbs later and see what he recommends.

mtbr member
    You will have to pop out the old headset and use a caliper to get an accurate measurement. I would probably try to call Giant direct or e-mail them.

Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast