Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

eff
    mtbr member
    Here is my 2012 Revel 1. This is just after I added the bashguard. I have since added Ergon grips and Avid Speed Dial Levers. I have ordered a new WTB saddle and am planning to upgrade the fork as many also plan to.

mtbr member
    I like that gray and the bash guard looks BA, I'm sure it can handle.

Just got new cranset today from BlueSky 70% off. RaceFace Deus X. Came in at 859g and I'm waiting until after the install this evening to weight the factory Suntour Nex kit. Next I'm looking at brakes and then tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-crank.jpg  

eff
    mtbr member
    Thanks. The bash guard is pretty beat up now, so I guess it's doing it's job. Nice pick up on the crank. I'll be interested in how the install goes. I'm a noob so I wasn't aware that the BB was interchangeable with that style.

mtbr member
    Honestly I am also and I'm not doing the install I left the bike at my local shop. You need a few specialized tools to remove and install. I figured for $35 install charge versus the same for the tools I would rather have a professional do it.

The kit came with a new bottom bracket so as long as that fits in my frame I should good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Honestly I am also and I'm not doing the install I left the bike at my local shop. You need a few specialized tools to remove and install. I figured for $35 install charge versus the same for the tools I would rather have a professional do it.

The kit came with a new bottom bracket so as long as that fits in my frame I should good.
    Please let us know the weight difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    saved ever more than I thought... 859g versus.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-suntour.jpg  

eff
    mtbr member
    WOW! I guess I know what I'll be shopping for. Need to set some plans cause I'd like to go 1X10.

mtbr member
    In my quest to continue lightening up the Revel 1, I've moved to the wheels/tires. I am using the front wheel as the test and try to narrow down the heaviest components and what can make the most drastic improvement.

Giant Sport Double Wall CR70 wheel, Giant Sport 29x2.1 tires, factory 29" tube, Tektro 160mm rotor, factory Giant skewer
    TOTAL: 2,411 grams

Skewer: 56 grams
    Rotor and T25 bolts: 137 grams
    Tube: 223 grams
    Wheel: 1,164 grams
    Tire: 810 grams

I see the total versus the subtotals don't exactly add up, +/- 20 grams, but it is close enough. The goal is to continue shaving weight from the heavy revel and increase performance while not breaking the bank, as the bike is entry level. Looking at the results I cannot justify spending too much on the skewers, rotors maybe replaced with a new brake kit entirely. Obviously that leaves the wheels and tires. The greatest weight difference will likely be found with new wheels, however that will also be one of the most expensive upgrades. I am going to begin there and shoot for the 600 gram mark and I should be able to get tubes that are half the weight. Maybe I can stumble across some clearance wheels that make sense down the road.

mtbr member
    The local shop gave me a good price on the Specialized S-Works Ground Control so I got a pair, 29x2.1 Also got 2 Specialized tubes that came in at 160g. Very satisfied with the tires they have great tread, an ultra-low resistance composite makeup and took away over 1/4 of the total tire weight.

Just tire and tube replacement brought the 2,400 gram front wheel/tire down to just over 2,100.

I am bringing the biek in for scheduled tuneup this week so I will have them put it on the scale. I do not have a starting weight from factory but I'm still excited to see where I'm at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-tire.jpg  

Revel Thread-tire2.jpg  

Revel Thread-tire3.jpg  

mtbr member
    On the stock tires, what psi does everyone use?

I usually run 20 to 25 psi depending on the conditions...I noticed today that they say max 65 min 40.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I keep mine closer to 45, I prefer a firm ride.

Your Best Friend
    I appreciate what you guys are doing here but not why you are doing it. I would suggest that these are fairly entry level performance MTBs. I realize you all stuck to a sensible budget when you bought them but they really aren't worth upgrading. Not right away anyway. This is the kind of bike you get and ride it into the ground, then replace the parts that break. After you decide that mountain biking is really your thing, get a nicer bike. With what you are spending on upgrades, you could have just bought an XTC or equivalent.

Just sayin". In the meantime, keep it up and have fun.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Mine was a gift so I started out at free.99 so I can't argue with that. I also have a hard time knowing something is lesser quality and ignoring it. I do have a separate side fund going as I am saving for a full suspension bike but this has to be get all my attention now.

I totally understand where you are coming from though, it looks like we started with a toyota yaris and we are trying to get it ready for the drag strip.

mtbr member
    Picked up a set of Black Label composite flat pedals for $15 and they are far and away better than the stock pedals. Great pedal for the money.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I posted my last post during a break at the trails.

I did 8 miles on the pedals today and they feel much better than the stock steelies. I noticed a considerable difference in fatigue in my ankles and calve muscles. For $14 from my LBS, they are a great upgrade.

BLACKLABEL SEAT COVERS , BLACK PACKS & PEDALS

The graduate pedal is what I have.

:EDIT:

Also, I think BlackLabel may be a Trek brand, in case that matters to you.

mtbr member
    Put a few evening miles at Tapeworm in Renton, WA today. Extremely techinical and even more difficult ride on a 29er with a 710mm bar. Frost was interesting high in the downhill banks as will as the ladders. Trail was tight but in great condition given the weather for the past few weeks.

Gorgeous day (at 35 degrees) and a fun ride. Pic is in the neighborhood below the trailhead looking NW over Lake Washington, Mercer Island and the Seattle skyline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-renton.jpg  

mtbr member
    35 degree ride? How did your fork preform on that? I am afraid to use my fork when it's that cold. I think that had something to do with how my last dart 2 went out.

Here is my 2011 Revel 0. Put on a new dart 3 when my old one went out. Schwalbe rocket Ron's are on the way. Spent a good 2 hours transforming it from a matte finish to a glossy finish. Next thing on the list are some new wheels. And saving for an Anthem.

mtbr member
    Put a few evening miles at Tapeworm in Renton, WA today. Extremely techinical and even more difficult ride on a 29er with a 710mm bar. Frost was interesting high in the downhill banks as will as the ladders. Trail was tight but in great condition given the weather for the past few weeks.

Gorgeous day (at 35 degrees) and a fun ride. Pic is in the neighborhood below the trailhead looking NW over Lake Washington, Mercer Island and the Seattle skyline.
    I wish it was like that here. It's January and it's already getting muggy.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    really opened it up finally to test all the new components and it was great. The weight reduction is felt not just when climbing but also how it handles. It feels so nimble into berms and up over roots. Also the tires grip really well, in the lowest gear i hit a few root balls with frost on them and the tire grabbed really well.

I think the only thing holding me back is my endurance! Excellent day. Sorry for the fuzzy pics I didn't want to hang around and hold anyone up behind me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-duthie.jpg  

Revel Thread-duthie2.jpg  

mtbr member
    really opened it up finally to test all the new components and it was great. The weight reduction is felt not just when climbing but also how it handles. It feels so nimble into berms and up over roots. Also the tires grip really well, in the lowest gear i hit a few root balls with frost on them and the tire grabbed really well.

I think the only thing holding me back is my endurance! Excellent day. Sorry for the fuzzy pics I didn't want to hang around and hold anyone up behind me.
    Those trails look sick!

I bought my daughter a Revel Jr 20".

She did 11 miles today on it. It's a cool little bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Those trails look sick!

I bought my daughter a Revel Jr 20".

She did 11 miles today on it. It's a cool little bike.

Thats what its all about!

The trails are great, a place called Duthie Hill outside of Seattle. A blend of everything from freeride to XC with some serious park jumps also. There are even a couple small tracks of rollers for youngsters to roll over.

mtbr member
    Thats what its all about!

The trails are great, a place called Duthie Hill outside of Seattle. A blend of everything from freeride to XC with some serious park jumps also. There are even a couple small tracks of rollers for youngsters to roll over.
    Unfortunately Florida doesn't seem to have trails like that... Too flat.

Ava did another 4 miles today on the same trails I do, for a total of 15 miles in two days... She's entering a mountain bike race next weekend as well.

Her little Revel Jr is a good bike, tires are extremely grippy.

Does anyone know how I'd go about adjusting the pull on her brake levers? The pull is a little long and it's a bit odd for her to pull it.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I brought a '13 Revel 29 0 home yesterday.

I'd post some pictures but this is my 2nd post and I have 8 to go before I can present any pix of it.

It's the Matte Black model. I added red Oury grips and a red Selle Anatomica saddle.

I rode it home from the shop and stopped by a skillz park and played around on the pump track for a hour.

I took it to a nearby open space park for a couple hours today.

Although I've never had a decent MTB I really like this bike even though it isn't really top-of-the-line. If my rides this weekend are any indicator, I have a lot to learn about riding in the dirt, but I also had a blast. Very happy with the bike.

I ran the tires today at 65# but I think I need to lower that for off-road. I was having traction issues, especially in loose stuff and uneven surfaces like pebble fields.

Your Best Friend
    There should be a little phillips screw on the front of each lever. If you screw it in, it will shorten the reach. It will also tighten the brakes. You may have to adjust the cable.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Unfortunately Florida doesn't seem to have trails like that... Too flat.
    You ever head out to Balm/Alafia? I know its not a 3 mile downhill, but theres some pretty fun stuff to take part in down here.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast