Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Most of my latest posts are not Revel-related but I have been wanting a pair of shades specially formatted for riding. Did the build your own Custom option at my local Oakley store and bought these. Half Jacket 2.0 XL with Violet Iridium lens. I bought the colored lens up front because they can be worn anytime and the clear replacement lenses are easy to find aftermarket for cheaper. I'm honestly not a big sunglasses person but I figure if your gunna do it then do it right. I'm actually really stoked for the clears to show I think they will improve my experience. Never rode with eye protection so I'm really looking forward to this equipment upgrade.

Cheers.

Attachment 807996
    for mountain biking I only wear these indoor/outdoor glasses because its like wearing sunglasses but when you look through the lenses they are clear instead of dark so when you go into a dark spot on a trail you can see nice and clearly. you can get em cheap on ebay

mtbr member
    Holy mackeral... That woulda saved me quite a bit of money lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    $70 shipped. The rear wheel is close to 5 lbs I think. That seems a little crazy for any wheel
    5 lbs just for the rear wheel? + cassette? Yeah, that seems heavy.

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Can anybody confirm that the suntour Raidon lo air will fit the stock wheel hubs without modification? I read the epicon requires new hubs but not sure about the Raidon.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

mtbr member
    Double post

mtbr member
    It should as long as it has a 9 mm skewer. Several epicons require a 15mm. My friend has that fork(it is a raidon, not sure which model) and it fits the standard 9mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
    Can anybody confirm that the suntour Raidon lo air will fit the stock wheel hubs without modification? I read the epicon requires new hubs but not sure about the Raidon.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2
    Yes, the Raidon should be a direct fit.

mtbr member
    Sequence of events Saturday:

Fishing Lake Desire just after sunrise
    Revel Thread-wp_000461.jpg

Riding along the Cedar River around Noon
    Revel Thread-wp_000468.jpg

Cedar River flows into Lake Washington around 1 PM
    Revel Thread-wp_000462.jpg

Ninkasi Red from Eugene, OR flows into my tummy around 2 PM
    Revel Thread-wp_000470.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have been riding a 2013 Revel 0 29er the last 5 months.
    I have been reading some about wheel and fork upgrades. Everyone says the Raidon is better than the stock fork, but since I have only ridden the one fork, I don't know. Anyone know how they compare in weight?
    As far as the wheels go, I have a set of sxc2 wheels on another bike in my garage, does anyone know how they compare to the cr70 wheels on my bike? I might borrow them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thinking about my 2013 revel 0 29er - does anyone know how much the frame weighs? Compared to a Talon? A trance? I'm thinking about upgrading, and wondering at the same time if it would be better just to buy a new bike.
    Pros of the bike I have - I already have it! I really like the look. I would enjoy learning how to change stuff out too. I could borrow the wheels off of a hardy used 2012 Rainier 1 29er in my garage.
    Pros of a new Trance like bike - well, pretty obvious.
    I'm not a racer, just like to go fast and get my heart pumping. I ride about 50/50 paved trail and single track. The paved trail is only when I can't get to the single track!
    Any thoughts and opinions appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just bought my Revel 29er a few months ago. I am thinking about upgrading to Avid BB7's. Will the brake cables and housing be good to go or will I have to purchase new cables etc.?

mtbr member
    Sequence of events Saturday:

Fishing Lake Desire just after sunrise

Riding along the Cedar River around Noon

Cedar River flows into Lake Washington around 1 PM

Ninkasi Red from Eugene, OR flows into my tummy around 2 PM
    Awesome stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    I have been riding a 2013 Revel 0 29er the last 5 months.
    I have been reading some about wheel and fork upgrades. Everyone says the Raidon is better than the stock fork, but since I have only ridden the one fork, I don't know. Anyone know how they compare in weight?
    As far as the wheels go, I have a set of sxc2 wheels on another bike in my garage, does anyone know how they compare to the cr70 wheels on my bike? I might borrow them.
    The fork upgrade made a HUGE difference to me. The bike rides much much better compared to stock fork.

mtbr member
    Thinking about my 2013 revel 0 29er - does anyone know how much the frame weighs? Compared to a Talon? A trance? I'm thinking about upgrading, and wondering at the same time if it would be better just to buy a new bike.
    Pros of the bike I have - I already have it! I really like the look. I would enjoy learning how to change stuff out too. I could borrow the wheels off of a hardy used 2012 Rainier 1 29er in my garage.
    Pros of a new Trance like bike - well, pretty obvious.
    I'm not a racer, just like to go fast and get my heart pumping. I ride about 50/50 paved trail and single track. The paved trail is only when I can't get to the single track!
    Any thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    I was in the same boat as you (before I upgraded the Revel). I still plan to "upgrade" to a better bike (most likely a full suspension) but the itch is not as bad after I did some upgrades to the Revel. As I mentioned in the prev post, the fork upgrade really changed the bike. For paved and single track the Revel w/ a better fork would be more than capable. I say, it is worth a shot doing the fork upgrade then go from there.
    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-17-2013 at 09:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    I just bought my Revel 29er a few months ago. I am thinking about upgrading to Avid BB7's. Will the brake cables and housing be good to go or will I have to purchase new cables etc.?
    Are you keeping the stock levers? If so, then you should be able to reuse the cables and housing.

mtbr member
    Holy mackeral... That woulda saved me quite a bit of money lol
    Visited LensCrafters and saw some sweet Oakley sunglasses. Thinking about picking up a pair myself (but need prescription lenses though).

mtbr member
    I kept the levers, cables and housing when I put on BB5's it's just a bolt on application. Raidon fork is going to be much better than the factory fork, actually performing like a shock absorber should instead of a pogo stick. If you run half paved I suggest including lockout as a necessity. ericgautier should be able to advise on his. MY RS Tora has a remote pop-lock to help save my back. Also, go with the SXC3 wheels. They shouldn't make a huge difference in weight but I believe they are stronger and will last much longer.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Are you keeping the stock levers? If so, then you should be able to reuse the cables and housing.
    Cables work with the Avid levers too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input guys. Any info on the frame weight?
    I'm looking at spending $200 on a fork for a bike I spent $600 on.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Any info on the frame weight?
    I'm looking at spending $200 on a fork for a bike I spent $600 on.
    You got a bathroom scale? I don't have a dedicated scale for the bike, so I did me+bike.. then just me.. using a bathroom scale. With the stock components, the bike weighed 32 lbs. With the upgrades I did.. the bike now weighs 27 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I believe that I will. I bought a shorter stem (70mm) to try it out. I bought a 720mm bar which changed the feel of the bike. Much more stable with loose, rocky terrain. In addition I bought a couple BB7 kits with the 200mm G2 rotors. Next I am looking for a fork. The stock fork on my 2013 Revel 29er 1 is Suntour XCT V4 29", 80mm Travel. Do you guys have any recommendations for an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes Eric, my while bike weighs 31 lbs according to me bathroom scale! I'm trying to get a feel for frame weight vs other frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    Next I am looking for a fork. The stock fork on my 2013 Revel 29er 1 is Suntour XCT V4 29", 80mm Travel. Do you guys have any recommendations for an upgrade?
    Take advantage of the Suntour Fork Upgrade program.

mtbr member
    So, I think I've decided to change out the stock stem (60mm 15 deg rise). Can anyone tell me advantaged/disadvantages of a longer stem/less def rise?

mtbr member
    Eric, how's all the bike parts after riding them for a little bit? I sold my 29er yesterday so I'm either upgrading the revel or saving for another month or so and getting an anthem or trance. It's such a hard decision. Recently something cracked in the bottom bracket. Any other crankset you wish you would have chosen?

mtbr member
    So, I think I've decided to change out the stock stem (60mm 15 deg rise). Can anyone tell me advantaged/disadvantages of a longer stem/less def rise?
    The stem length yields two differences. One affects the angle of your riding position, meaning how far you are stretched out or hunched over to connect with the grips. Becasue of this it can be used as a quick fix when people buy the incorrect frame for their size. The other thing it does is affects how far the bars actually need to swing to turn the front wheel. Think of it this way, on old school mtb's the bars were mounted virtually directly above the fork tube/headset but a stem extends those bars away making the sweep larger from side to side to turn. A shorter stem is often the preferrd method for 29ers bc of their general lack of nimble turming. I stuck with the factory one only because my Cateye is mounted on it and I'm not sure I could fit it on a smaller stem.

The rise is just that, how much it will left the bars up and away from the frame. IMO this is purely about comfort.

mtbr member
    Double post

mtbr member
    Eric, how's all the bike parts after riding them for a little bit? I sold my 29er yesterday so I'm either upgrading the revel or saving for another month or so and getting an anthem or trance. It's such a hard decision. Recently something cracked in the bottom bracket. Any other crankset you wish you would have chosen?
    The bike acts and behaves like a totally different bike. So far so good, everything is still smooth. Have about 50 miles on the new parts. Knowing what I know now, I would go a different route with the chainguide. The ISCG adpater + chainguide was a pita to setup and I had to use an extra spacer to push the drive side crank out a little to clear the guide. That or try and use flat heads on the bolts so it does not interfere with the small chain bosses on the crank.

Actually, I installed my stock crankset/bb on my friends bike and if I would have known this earlier, I would have just kept that crankset/bb combo and just put a single speed chain ring on it. The drive side crank doesn't have the bosses inside and could probably be much more chainguide friendly.

Overall though, I am really happy with how the bike turned out. Pretty much set and just plan to ride it until parts break.

My next upgrade will be a Full Suspension bike.

mtbr member
    I got a RaceFace Deus X set on BluSky for something outrageous lik 75% off. It's half the weight and feels very smooth. Includes the BB and is a direct bolt on with the right tools.

mtbr member
    The stem length yields two differences. One affects the angle of your riding position, meaning how far you are stretched out or hunched over to connect with the grips. Becasue of this it can be used as a quick fix when people buy the incorrect frame for their size. The other thing it does is affects how far the bars actually need to swing to turn the front wheel. Think of it this way, on old school mtb's the bars were mounted virtually directly above the fork tube/headset but a stem extends those bars away making the sweep larger from side to side to turn. A shorter stem is often the preferrd method for 29ers bc of their general lack of nimble turming. I stuck with the factory one only because my Cateye is mounted on it and I'm not sure I could fit it on a smaller stem.

The rise is just that, how much it will left the bars up and away from the frame. IMO this is purely about comfort.
    Thanks! Exactly my thoughts. I did like the feel when I inverted my stem. I guess that would be similar to a stem w/ less rise.

mtbr member
    I got a RaceFace Deus X set on BluSky for something outrageous lik 75% off. It's half the weight and feels very smooth. Includes the BB and is a direct bolt on with the right tools.
    Race Face is a solid brand.

mtbr member
    Their ride crankset is what I am most likely going to end up getting once mine is completely toast. It's got a crack in one of the cups and it makes a popping noise but its rideable. I'm gonna end up ordering those "heavy" wheels. The ones on my bike now are that heavy and they are tough. I just need a new mtb set and then throw on some commuting tires on the crappy wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My next upgrade will be a Full Suspension bike.
    I just upgraded to a Stumpy FSR!! Went to week 4 of the time trials at the home trails with it and went from 3 straight top 10 finishes to 46th!!! Going back to the revel till they are over!!

The FS is awesome, but it's gonna take some practice to reach the speeds I can get out of the revel and not crash!!

My revel has a Recon silver fork, x9 shifters, and x7 rear derailuer. The rest is stock!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Revel Thread-peshpdm520-sil.jpgI just installed some shimano m540 pedals and man are they awesome! I had the crank brothers egg beaters before the shimanos and the shimanos are waaaaayy better. much faster and easier to clip in and out and they feel more comfortable for extended standing and the cleats seem to be better quality . wish I had got them before the egg beaters. I'll probably end up selling the egg beaters for super cheap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    I just upgraded to a Stumpy FSR!! Went to week 4 of the time trials at the home trails with it and went from 3 straight top 10 finishes to 46th!!! Going back to the revel till they are over!!

The FS is awesome, but it's gonna take some practice to reach the speeds I can get out of the revel and not crash!!

My revel has a Recon silver fork, x9 shifters, and x7 rear derailuer. The rest is stock!
    Why do you think that is? Just not "in tune" with the Stumpy yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PESHPDM520-SIL.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	809672I just installed some shimano m540 pedals and man are they awesome! I had the crank brothers egg beaters before the shimanos and the shimanos are waaaaayy better. much faster and easier to clip in and out and they feel more comfortable for extended standing and the cleats seem to be better quality . wish I had got them before the egg beaters. I'll probably end up selling the egg beaters for super cheap.
    I have the same pedals sitting in the shelf. I'm using the Candy 1's for now but I am having a hard time clipping my right foot. Left is easy. I might have to adjust the cleats (I think the right foot is slightly lower than the left).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the same pedals sitting in the shelf. I'm using the Candy 1's for now but I am having a hard time clipping my right foot. Left is easy. I might have to adjust the cleats (I think the right foot is slightly lower than the left).
    The candys seem pretty awesome I got a pair new in the box that I am going to see if my step dad wants so he can try clipless. I haven't tried the candies myself but I am sure I would probably like them more than the standard egg beaters I have now in my bike parts drawer. I just absolutely love the shimanos.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Why do you think that is? Just not "in tune" with the Stumpy yet?
    Yes.... Definitely not in tune yet!! It's got a longer wheelbase so tight tech turns burn me everytime and I just don't have enough seat time on it to predict what it will do on jumps and hops cause I'm used to avoiding them!! I just can't ride it as fast as i can the revel right now. The first lap was my fastest ever (by 5 seconds or so), the second I ate dirt, hard..... the third, I was in pain but didn't want the DNF!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    The candys seem pretty awesome I got a pair new in the box that I am going to see if my step dad wants so he can try clipless. I haven't tried the candies myself but I am sure I would probably like them more than the standard egg beaters I have now in my bike parts drawer. I just absolutely love the shimanos.
    I haven't tried the Shimano's yet. I bought the Candy first then saw a great deal on the Shimano's and picked them as well. I might just have to try it now.

mtbr member
    Just noticed there is a thread dedicated to the Giant Revel. I just bought my Giant Revel 4 today, plan to use it for the few XC trails there are around here. First to upgrade though would be the forks, the SR Suntour forks on there aren't as bad as I thought they would be but would like to put some Rockshox on. Also the pedals need changing - I'm already not a fan of the cheapy plastic pedals the shop put on. What you guys think?

Revel Thread-photo_zpseac8e495.jpg
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

mtbr member
    Any suggestions on an 8 speed cassette for less than $40 with good durability and not super heavy? And the tool to install it?

Joe, for a new upgraded fork look at the suntour customer program. There's a link to a post about it within the past couple of pages. With it you can get a pretty good air for for $160 or so.

mtbr member
    Joe, for a new upgraded fork look at the suntour customer program. There's a link to a post about it within the past couple of pages. With it you can get a pretty good air for for $160 or so.
    I've been looking at that but it seems that it is limited to America / Canada. I'll double check to see though, Thanks!
    2013 Giant Revel 4.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDougieDouglas View Post
    I've been looking at that but it seems that it is limited to America / Canada. I'll double check to see though, Thanks!
    Send an email to Nick... NMoore @ srsuntourna.com
    I'm sure he can let you know.

mtbr member
    Any suggestions on an 8 speed cassette for less than $40 with good durability and not super heavy? And the tool to install it?
    Can you get away with a 9 speed cassette? Just adjust H and L?

Who took my gears?
    Can you get away with a 9 speed cassette? Just adjust H and L?
    You would also need to upgrade the rear shifter to 9 speed (shifter is what runs the show here), and possibly a new 9 speed chain...

As for a new cassette, do some googling, you will find tons out there in your price range; Amazon.com: Shimano HG70-I 8 Speed Mountain Bike Cassette: Sports & Outdoors

And as for the tools / process to change it try youtube, you will find tons of info there, you will need at ;east a cassette tool, and a chain whip...

eff
    mtbr member
    Neither tool is very expensive so I bought a chain whip too. I bet I could have just held the cassette with a rag however.

mtbr member
    The installation looks simple. But on the lock ring remover I have seen multiple designs. Maybe for older model cassettes? Just don't want to order the wrong one.

My rd and shifter are 8 speed. I'd prefer not to buy new parts as mine work fine. I've been looking at the sram pg 850(I think that's its name). I have no idea if its good or bad. I'd prefer the best(durability and lightweight) cassette I could get for $30-$40.

mtbr member
    Why exactly are you replacing the cassette? is yours not performing correctly or damaged? not satisfied with the performance? I'm only curious in case I should be worried about the future of mine.

mtbr member
    I'm getting a new wheelset and putting a new cassette on it. My current one is my second cassette on the original wheelset. It seemed like the first one wore out really quickly. It was replaced back in march or April I think and now its already skipping gears and slipping. I won't really use this wheelset much but it seems like it hasn't lasted very long at all. It was also replaced with the chain and I have washed and lubed it after every ride.

Edit:
    I just took off my wheel to see if I could find a model number on my current cassette and all it said was sram. I looked at my original one sitting in a bag and all it said was sram. The original one was a
    Cassette SRAM PG830 11x32, 8-Speed
    According to the giant database. The bike shop replaced it with one several months ago. I don't think it's the same model because it made my bike feel lighter.

mtbr member
    interesting, ok thanks for the info. I haven't felt signs of mine going out and I've been on it consistently since November. If I wasn't as much in the market for a new FS I would take this as motivation to complete a 1X10 swap.