Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Mounted it for speed and it's been very good.

The AKA is already a very fast tire so it's a good match.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Awesome. Will have to try the AKA's on the rear when/if time comes.

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Awesome. Will have to try the AKA's on the rear when/if time comes.
    The tread design makes it a helluva climber, that's what I was looking for.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Rode some yesterday and it was pretty much like riding through a bunch of modeling clay.

mtbr member
    BBG bashguard installed. Loving the extra room.

mtbr member
    Looking at upgrading the brakes (almost hit a tree yesterday because the brakes didn't grab too well). Any recommendations? Can we reuse the rotors or is it better to buy new ones?

Your Best Friend
    You can re-use the rotors as long as they are the same size. Keep in mind that pads will bed in with your current rotor. It doesn't mean it won't work, it may just take a few rides to have them settle completely. I'd try new pads before you spend the coin to upgrade your brakes.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You can re-use the rotors as long as they are the same size. Keep in mind that pads will bed in with your current rotor. It doesn't mean it won't work, it may just take a few rides to have them settle completely. I'd try new pads before you spend the coin to upgrade your brakes.
    Thank you. Can you recommend some pads? Seems I have to get specific ones for my brakes (Tektro I.O.)?

Your Best Friend
    Pads come in sintered metallic or organic. If you aren't having luck with the ones you have, switch to the other compound. Sorry, I don't know which you have. Most likely metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Pads come in sintered metallic or organic. If you aren't having luck with the ones you have, switch to the other compound. Sorry, I don't know which you have. Most likely metallic.
    They are the stock ones that came on the bike (2011 Giant Revel 1). Tektro I.O. Mechanical Brakes.

Tektro Io Mechanical Disc Brake Pads > Components > Brakes > Brake Pads | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop (look to be metallic)

mtbr member
    So I posted a "wanted" ad at my local mtb forum for hydraulic brakes... few options:

Magura Marta
    Magura Louisa
    Avid Elixir CR
    Avid Juicy 5
    Avid Juicy 3

I'm doing some research now, but can anyone with more knowledge than me compare the brakes or sort them in order of preference?

mtbr member
    So I posted a "wanted" ad at my local mtb forum for hydraulic brakes... few options:

Magura Marta
    Magura Louisa
    Avid Elixir CR
    Avid Juicy 5
    Avid Juicy 3

I'm doing some research now, but can anyone with more knowledge than me compare the brakes or sort them in order of preference?
    I don't have any input as far as what I think is best, but I know Blue Sky Cycling sells the Elixirs for a really good price.

BlueSkyCycling.com - The Hottest Mt. Bike Parts, Accessories, and Clothing Discounted prices

speaking of that, how would one go about putting hydraulic brakes on a cable brake bike? Do they mount in the same brackets as the cable noodles?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I don't have any input as far as what I think is best, but I know Blue Sky Cycling sells the Elixirs for a really good price.

BlueSkyCycling.com - The Hottest Mt. Bike Parts, Accessories, and Clothing Discounted prices

speaking of that, how would one go about putting hydraulic brakes on a cable brake bike? Do they mount in the same brackets as the cable noodles?
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to weigh the price of used vs price of new with the offers I'm getting.

As for the cabling, I believe the brackets are too small. I'll prob have to zip tie it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link! I'll have to weigh the price of used vs price of new with the offers I'm getting.

As for the cabling, I believe the brackets are too small. I'll prob have to zip tie it.
    I'll likely take the brackets off of mine with a die grinder.

Let us know what set you go with.

I really want to go with the Elixir 9's, but there's tons of conflicting reviews online.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I'll likely take the brackets off of mine with a die grinder.

Let us know what set you go with.

I really want to go with the Elixir 9's, but there's tons of conflicting reviews online.
    Yeah, I do not have the skills to take off any brackets. Hehe.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Magura guy on price and also on the CR's price. The Avid Juicy 5's, are $120 for the set F&R (w/ rotors and hardware) which is a good price I think would be my third option I think. I'll still reading reviews.. want to make sure I make the right choice.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting to hear back from the Magura guy on price and also on the CR's price. The Avid Juicy 5's, are $120 for the set F&R (w/ rotors and hardware) which is a good price I think would be my third option I think. I'll still reading reviews.. want to make sure I make the right choice.
    Where did you find the Juicy 5's for that price?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    can we "enlarge" the mount somehow?

(pic i found online, i think the mounts on our bike is similar)

mtbr member
    Where did you find the Juicy 5's for that price?
    It's a "used" set on my local mtb forum.

mtbr member
    Maybe use something like this - HellermannTyton T50MR0C2 Cable Tie,Mount Hole,8" x 3/16",Black,50 lb./100pk | TESSCO so the hose/cable is not flopping around. use the water bottle mounts to screw this holder in place???

or

http://cabletiesunlimited.com/media/...e_mount_2.jpeg

Just thinking out loud.

mtbr member
    Maybe use something like this - HellermannTyton T50MR0C2 Cable Tie,Mount Hole,8" x 3/16",Black,50 lb./100pk | TESSCO so the hose/cable is not flopping around. use the water bottle mounts to screw this holder in place???
    I'm afraid that would wear a hole into the line with all the vibration.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    bikeparts has some cool stuff we "might" be able to use - Problem Solvers Black Hydraulic Brake guides - PAIR, Cable Stops, Guides, Pulleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey guys!

picked up a 2011 blk and red Revel 1 used from a local CL last year, and found this forum while looking for repair and upgrades for it..

I'm a big guy 250, and trying to loose some weight. I stick to park paths and side walks. usually 7-12 miles at a time.

But My Bottom Bracket is dieing. and my 32T gear in my crankset if pretty toast.

I have looked through the thread but not seen much info on a proper size for the BB.

I have seen many that repaced them so what is a good piece, a good gear set, and what tools will I need?

I'm use to pulling engine and rebuilding them not so much with Bikes..

Links to the parts would be awesome!!

TIA!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaloZ View Post

I have looked through the thread but not seen much info on a proper size for the BB.

TIA!
    Welcome! I'm sure someone will chime in soon. I just have not tackled this part of the bike yet.

eff
    mtbr member
    The stock BB is a square taper sealed cartridge. You can replace it with an external bearing BB like a Truvativ GXP. The housing is 73mm so you do not need the spacers. Of course if you change the style of BB you will need a new crank.

I replaced my crank with a Truvativ Stylo and have been very happy with it and i only run it with the 32t chainwheel.

You will need a Park BBT-22 to remove the old BB and a BBT-19 to install the new BB (if changing to external bearing). Park Tool Co.

Overall it is a very easy job.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    The stock BB is a square taper sealed cartridge. You can replace it with an external bearing BB like a Truvativ GXP. The housing is 73mm so you do not need the spacers. Of course if you change the style of BB you will need a new crank.

I replaced my crank with a Truvativ Stylo and have been very happy with it and i only run it with the 32t chainwheel.

You will need a Park BBT-22 to remove the old BB and a BBT-19 to install the new BB (if changing to external bearing). Park Tool Co.

Overall it is a very easy job.
    He'll also need a crank puller for square tapered cranks just to get to the BB. You're looking at close to $40 worth of tools. They are good to have but if you aren't doing it often, you should take it to your LBS. Have them show you what they are doing as they are doing it and in the future, you'll be set.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I went to a Shimano XTR BB90 external BB bearing and Race Face XC crankset. Really digging it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast