Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    @Krunk_ Please HOLD OFF in purchasing this setup.

I just spoke to Race Face and they do not recommend me using another spacer in between the adaptor plate and BB cup. What Race Face recommends is for me to move the 1mm spacer from the left side crank arm into the right side crank arm instead. So I will try that out and see.

Attachment 805384
    Thanks for keeping me updated on it

On another note, look what happened to me tonight.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    The chainguide is being a PITA. The inside of the drive side crank has bosses to mount a small chain ring and it hits the bolts for the chainguide w/o the extra spacer between the iscg adapter and bb cup. Filing down the bosses was my last resort, but it has to be done to get proper setup of the BB.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Thanks for keeping me updated on it

On another note, look what happened to me tonight.

Hey, where's the part that the alligator jumps out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    You have no idea how many alligators are actually out there, haha
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    LOL I was thinking of that too. You had a few close calls.. and I was like, "Does he fall into the river?". Hehe.

mtbr member
    LOL I was thinking of that too. You had a few close calls.. and I was like, "Does he fall into the river?". Hehe.
    The camera doesn't pick it up well, but it was raining very hard, and was hard to see. My shoes weighed about a ton a piece and there was a stick caught in my right pedal so I couldn't get clipped in, lol.

I'm surprised I didn't fall in myself.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks coling for telling me about the handlebars for my 29er. man these are light for sure and perfect width for me since I am tall. installed them with some lizard skins northshore lock grips. I usally use Oury grips but I tried these out and think they are my new fav. one thing I noticed right away with the new flat bars was how much easier it was on sharp sharp cornering and also made it a lot easier to keep better control on really steep climbs especially over rocks on the incline. by far better than the stock bars. thanks again!

Revel Thread-camerazoom-20130605173849835.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

@Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.
    What was it you said needed measuring?

I'm taking my headset off for a good cleaning this weekend and I have some calipers I can get measurements with.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    What was it you said needed measuring?

I'm taking my headset off for a good cleaning this weekend and I have some calipers I can get measurements with.

Here's the email I got from Crane

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

So, measure top and bottom ID of head tube after removing cups.
    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-06-2013 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    Thanks coling for telling me about the handlebars for my 29er. man these are light for sure and perfect width for me since I am tall. installed them with some lizard skins northshore lock grips. I usally use Oury grips but I tried these out and think they are my new fav. one thing I noticed right away with the new flat bars was how much easier it was on sharp sharp cornering and also made it a lot easier to keep better control on really steep climbs especially over rocks on the incline. by far better than the stock bars. thanks again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130605173849835.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	805708
    Don't let the mod bug bite you too hard. Hehe. Nice bar! Definitely have to agree with you on how much easier it was to control the bike with the wider bar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Don't let the mod bug bite you too hard. Hehe. Nice bar! Definitely have to agree with you on how much easier it was to control the bike with the wider bar.
    Totally! haha. I think If I do anything else it will be a different crankset and my shop is going to call me when they get another deal for $75 front and rear hydralic brake sets.

mtbr member

The
    Here's the email I got from Crane

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

So, measure top and bottom ID of head tube after removing cups.
    I'll measure it and get back to you.

Totally! haha. I think If I do anything else it will be a different crankset and my shop is going to call me when they get another deal for $75 front and rear hydralic brake sets.
    Check out JensonOnline.com, they have some nice Race Face cranksets for sub-$60

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CameraZOOM-20130605173849835.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	805708
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.

I'm also beginning to research the market for the right full-suspenion 29er so I can go to Whistler and try some other trails in my area. Ideally I would want something capable but nimble, willing to climb a forest service road and handle the drops on my trails that the Revel rides around. This weekend is our state-wide mtb festival so all of the vendors will be there. $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park. I know for a fact there will be Trek, DB, Jamis, Kona, Niner, Norco, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Transition, and Yeti. Some other local shops will be there so who knows what brands they will bring. No word yet on any Giants... Online flyer if you're anywhere near Seattle this weekend.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    No worries pal, that's what this forum is for! I've gone through most of the bike myself and I also still want a decent deal on a set of hydros. I already upgraded to BB5's for a steal but I want a budget-friendly hydro kit and 180mm rotors for the big heavy Giant Double-Wall rims.

I'm also beginning to research the market for the right full-suspenion 29er so I can go to Whistler and try some other trails in my area. Ideally I would want something capable but nimble, willing to climb a forest service road and handle the drops on my trails that the Revel rides around. This weekend is our state-wide mtb festival so all of the vendors will be there. $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park. I know for a fact there will be Trek, DB, Jamis, Kona, Niner, Norco, Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Santa Cruz, Specialized, Transition, and Yeti. Some other local shops will be there so who knows what brands they will bring. No word yet on any Giants... Online flyer if you're anywhere near Seattle this weekend.
    Try out the Scott fill suspensions if they are there. They are damn nice.

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 06-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    $20 and you have free demo's from 9-9 at Duthie Hill Park.
    This sounds like an awesome event!!! Definitely try out the SC Solo (but that's a 27.5). There are a lot of new bikes being released and I can't wait to see what is available when it is time to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Definitely take a look at the Shimano Deore M596. Really impressed with it so far. Good reviews on the forum and if you shop around, you can find them for around $60/each.

mtbr member
    Gotcha on the Scott idea. REI will be there and I was just at their flagship store looking at the Scott Genius 740 the other day. Really nice bike in a 27.5 but they don't have my size... I'm not opposed to a 27.5 be any means I just don't think I'll ever go back to 26. I'll have my GoPro so as soon as I get a second with each bike I'll snap a photo then list features/specs on here as well as my personal opinion of how they ride. I'm going to take each one on the same trail, one I'm very familiar with so I should have a good idea of the differences between bikes.

mtbr member
    Awesome looking forward to the reviews!

mtbr member
    For me, I think my next bike is going to be a carbon one that I'll build from frame up. After doing the upgrades to the Revel, I think I'll be better off building a bike exactly how I want it.

Eyeing an Anthem X Advanced 29er Frameset. I've quickly put together a parts list and its scary what the total is.. aprox. $4700.

mtbr member
    For me, I think my next bike is going to be a carbon one that I'll build from frame up. After doing the upgrades to the Revel, I think I'll be better off building a bike exactly how I want it.

Eyeing an Anthem X Advanced 29er Frameset. I've quickly put together a parts list and its scary what the total is.. aprox. $4700.
    Look into the Chinese Carbon frames.

Don't let the fact that they are Chinese deter you. I've done a LOT of research on them, and recently met three people running them. 2 of them have had them for 2+ years and the third one just built his up. I'm likely going that route.

They range in price anywhere from $300 to $600.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Look into the Chinese Carbon frames.

Don't let the fact that they are Chinese deter you. I've done a LOT of research on them, and recently met three people running them. 2 of them have had them for 2+ years and the third one just built his up. I'm likely going that route.

They range in price anywhere from $300 to $600.
    YES! I thought about those too.

mtbr member
    I have looked into those a bit also and others have mentioned the geometry is identical to some well-known manufacturers. Are you speaking specifically of the hardtail frames on ebay? ericguatier mentioned the Anthem but I would LOVE to see a carbon full-suspension frameset under $600.

mtbr member
    ericguatier mentioned the Anthem but I would LOVE to see a carbon full-suspension frameset under $600.
    there's a chinese FS carbon frame now too.

Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Yes, Hong-Fu is likely who I'm going to go with.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Yes, Hong-Fu is likely who I'm going to go with.
    Please document EVERYTHING as I am really interested in this as well.

mtbr member

Please document EVERYTHING as I am really interested in this as well.
    Always do!

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    that sounds killer wish I was there to check it out. I am thinking about getting another FS bike as well but not sure what i want maybe a reign. the revel for me has been really good though I have learned to use my arms and legs for suspension so well that I dont even notice it and I seem to take things just as well as my previous FS bikes. one thing I need to change soon are my tires I have the WTB Prowler SL race on front and rear and they seem to want to wash out on fast cornering in loose dirt. they have good rolling resistance and climbing and do well on a lot of other things but loose dirt on fast corners suck. haha. may put on my exiwolfs again until i get some new tires because the exiwolfs cornered well in loose dirt and even took sand really well almost as if it was not there. have any tire recommendations for dry areas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    just read up on the Kenda Nevegal DTC 29er and they are supposed to be the highest rated for over 2 years. I just picked up two on sale and they said if I dont like them for any reason I can take them back so I am going to put them on tonight and then go for a ride tomorrow.

Revel Thread-1348872005_img_2077.jpg

mtbr member

Good tires definitely helps! I went from the stock Kenda SB8's to the Geax per recommendation from the LBS. The LBS maintains the local trails and raves about the tires (he runs them as well).
    Last edited by ericgautier; 06-06-2013 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    My friend runs a Nevegal DTC in the front and a faster rolling tire in the rear. It's a very nice tire that has a ton of grip, but you may notice a lot of rolling resistance when running one in the back especially during long climbs.

Here's an interesting thread about tires:

Why different tires in the front and back?

mtbr member

Nice, I wish I could go. I would love to demo a Yeti SB95 and the new Santa Cruz Solo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone converted there stock rims to tubeless? I want to use the stans kit, but don't want to drop on it if it won't work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks for the nice read! I am going to first try the kendas in the front and rear and then try the kenda in the front and a wtb exiwolf race in the rear and see what works best. I just installed the kendas and did a quick ride through the street and they sure to ride awesome on the street but I am not a road rider so hopefully they run nice off road which I am sure they will but I gotta give them a beating in the trails to see. I'll give a review when ive ridden them for a while. also going to be nice that I get my new seatpost tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    Has anyone converted there stock rims to tubeless? I want to use the stans kit, but don't want to drop on it if it won't work.
    I'm sure someone on here has and will chime in. It is on my "to do" list..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

Here's an interesting thread about tires:

Why different tires in the front and back?
    One advantage of the Geax.. I can mount them differently. I have front setup to "traction" and rear setup to "speed".

Revel Thread-img_0961.jpg

I might try a different tire all together for the rear next time and probably thinner as well.

mtbr member
    That Geax seems like a nifty tire. Does the "speed" direction have a decent amount of bite?

I'm happy with a 2.1 in the rear, but I definitely want to try a more robust tire in the front, maybe a 2.35 Nevegal.

I found another interesting article that has a list of tires based on trail conditions:

Mountain Bike Tire Buyers Guide | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post
    That Geax seems like a nifty tire. Does the "speed" direction have a decent amount of bite?
    Here's the thread pattern..

Revel Thread-geax_saguaro_vs_kenda_small_block_8.jpg

For me, the tire performs well for the trails I ride. Definitely much better than the SB8's. I did try it for "Speed" both F&R when I first got it then switch to "Traction" for the F a few weeks later. I noticed cornering was a little better with "Traction" up front.

mtbr member
    @SQUIRRELSHOOTR... the Epicon is on sale right now. Not sure if you are still considering it..

2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike New | eBay

mtbr member
    I run Specialized S-Works Ground Control tires front and back though I do like the thought of running something different in the rear. I've always preferred a lighter-grip tire than some heavy mudders and for that the Continentals have always intrigued me but never ran them.

+1 on the Yeti I have heard amazing things about their bikes and never been near one. I'm hoping it isn't a zoo out there... Also I will be rushing to get as many bikes under me as I can. Place opens at 9 and then I got Mariners/Yankees tickets at 1 and the stadium is an hour away plus shower....beer...

mtbr member
    I'm running Geax Saquero up front and Geax Aka in the rear and I am extremely happy with the setup.

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    @coling.. definitely sounding like an awesome weekend for sure! just leave the wallet in the car.

mtbr member
    geez I know...Safeco charges $9 a beer and by how much they suck (and it's the YANKEES) I'll probably need to buy a few of those.. Taking the gf out on the water for some rainbow trout on Sunday so should be a good all-American wknd. Honestly though I'm looking forward to the demos the most. $20 and I should get a feel on $10-15k worth of equipment.

mtbr member
    For those thinking about upgrading to hydraulics...

BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

^ great price!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    tested out my Kenda Nevegal DTC 29's today and man to they handle awesome on everything and I mean everything except wet mud which I dont really get much around here in socal so I couldnt try them in there. but loose rock, dirt and even sand they took like a champ and the climbing was phenominal. amazing socal tire for sure. the rolling resistance was kinda high in the rear but not as bad as some other tires but I still put a prowler SL race in the rear and went out again and that combo is amazing. also got my new seatpost which is much lighter and lmuch better quality than the stock post and looks really awesome too. I'll have to take some pics later on. going on a 30 mile ride tomorrow with my step dad and some buddies so should be fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey I have the Revel 1 29er and put new grips and a 720mm handlebar and it feels awesome! Thinking of maybe buying a shorter stem. The website doesn't list what size stem the bike currently has on it besides "Giant Sport"

mtbr member
    Camera gear packed. First time taking it to the trail. Should be fun tomorrow. Let's see how this goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    my 2011 revel 0. almost nothing stock. wish i had a 120mm fork but overall its not bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    keep the pictures coming! I am going another ride tomorrow so I'll have to take a bunch of pics.

mtbr member
    As promised even though it has no Revel significance except I rode mine into the festival..

Story goes the park opened at 9 and I needed to be gone by 11. Registration was a logjam for a bit and vendors were still getting their lattes (great NW) so startup killed a bit of my time. Once I got going and figured the lay of the land I was strictly business. I know the trails here so I focused on only riding similarly capable bikes across vendors and attempted to compare them by factory standards on the same trail. Each vendor was helpful enough to size me, install flat pedals, and pump each shock to my weight. Let this be a disclaimer to those reading: This was my experience, my size frame, my riding style, and in no way affects your investing interest in this great sport.

I rode the following...

Revel Thread-d1.jpg

Niner Jet 9 Pro. RS Revelation 130mm fork, Fox float ctd, Avid trail XO brakes, SRAM XX1 1X11 drivetrain.
    I felt the was less fit for XC even though the 1x11 drive really blew my mins but felt best on landings. suspension pulled me into the ground and turns and was not a jumper. Tire resistance ( Schwalbe Nobby Nic) kept me on the dirt.

Revel Thread-d2.jpg

Yeti SB96 29. Fox F34 130mm Kashima fork, Fox F34 Float CTD Kashima rear, Shimano XT 2x10, Shimano Deore XT brakes. Fox suspension was outstanding, left Earth and brought me back on a cloud. The bike handled and maneuvered flawlessly and the brakes were nearly too tight. Excellent XC bike. Only problem I felt was the geometry designed a Large for me and I rode a Medium. If I had a large I would have rode home on it...

Revel Thread-d3.jpg

Trek Rumblefish Pro. Fox F32 DRCV Kashima fork, Fox Float CTD DRCV non-kashima rear, Deore XT 2x10 drive, Deore XT brakes, Bontrager everything else.. Bike fit me the best. Good roller, easy absorption over minor jumps/hips/bridges but not a jumper. Good XC bike for the price point and capable enough to hang with the big boys. Very satisfied with the factory components.

Revel Thread-d4.jpg

Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, Rockshox Revelation fork, Fox Float RP23 rear, Avid Elixir 5 brakes, Shimano SLX 3x10 drive, Easton Havoc wheels. Ride-over height was outstanding, balanced bike and felt the lightest over the same features. Maxxis tires had the least resistance so the ride was the quickest. 3x10 shift was surprisingly effortless and the brakes were very strong but not tight.

**Reminder: My goal was to ride the same 'caliber' bike for my style and find subtle differences between factory components. These bikes are all demos so certain things (tires, shifters, etc.) could be swapped from the dealear floor but this is what I rode. Many thanks to the vendors and the helpful people at Evergreen MTB Alliance for promoting a fun and safe event.

One more teaser... Freshly released Trek but I'll leave the stats up to you. It's a sexy bike, all chrome and the pic doesn't even show it.....

Revel Thread-db.jpg

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast