Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member

Carbon bar and spacers

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I bought a 2013 Revel 1 29er recently. It is my first mountain bike. What cheap upgrades could do you guys recommmend? I am thinking of buying a wider handlebar. The current one feels way too narrow. This is what I am thinking of buying: Forté Team 720 Flat Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

mtbr member
    @daryn, welcome to the Revel club!

Wider handlebar definitely feels better. Just make sure they aren't too wide if your trails have singletracks between the trees. I got a 710mm and it is plenty wide for me.

mtbr member
    Just finished messing with the bike. Shakedown run tomorrow *hopefully. Did a quick spin up and down the street and the bike felt awesome. The remote lock out on the Epicon is pretty sweet. Too dark to take any decent pics now. I'll have some tomorrow. Shed about 5lbs off the bike (using a bathroom scale: me, me+bike, subtract). Was at 32 lbs before I changed out the parts now I'm at 27. A lighter wheelset could drop the lbs even more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post

Carbon bar and spacers
    I like your bike stands!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    I like your bike stands!
    Thanks! I just finished building the log stand. I saw a similar one in Crested Butte last year and built my own version. The others I built out of some spare lumber in several hours so something would hold them until I got the nice one finished. There's also a couple bikes on the wall...
    Here's a better picture of it right when the clear was pretty much dry. It can hold somewhere around 8 bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    @daryn, welcome to the Revel club!

Wider handlebar definitely feels better. Just make sure they aren't too wide if your trails have singletracks between the trees. I got a 710mm and it is plenty wide for me.
    Thanks! I am glad to be here!

I was thinking of eventually upgrading to BB7's as they seem so popular. Would I need to do anything different to put larger rotors as well? I believe they have 160mm rotors right now.

mtbr member
    Rotors bolt right up. You might need the spacer mounting bracket off your frame so the pads are located on the sweet spot of your rotor but that would all be included with the BB7 kit. Go with the Forte 720 bar...trust me...

Revel Thread-installed.jpg

mtbr member
    Quick shots of the bike.. only thing missing is the chainguide.

Revel Thread-1d3_6056.jpg

Revel Thread-1d3_6083.jpg

Revel Thread-1d3_6070.jpg
    Remote Lock Out

Revel Thread-1d3_6071.jpg
    Rebound Adjust

Revel Thread-1d3_6066.jpg
    ISCG Adapter Bracket to mount the chainguide

More pics here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s50oztmw4nzejsr/RuejsLm3BO

Last edited by ericgautier; 06-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet! Can you take a picture looking down at the front chain ring and bash guard?
    Something like this to show the spacing between the bottom bracket and the chainring.

Hopefully the race face ring is close to the bottom bracket. I took the small ring off this crankset. I made a chain guide to keep more tension on the chain because it would slip off and push the n-gear stop out of the way and then get wedged into the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Will do but I'm out ATM. Will snap and post a pic ASAP.

mtbr member
    Cool! Thanks

mtbr member
    Here you go. Looks closer to the BB than your picture.

Revel Thread-1d3_6087.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Rotors bolt right up. You might need the spacer mounting bracket off your frame so the pads are located on the sweet spot of your rotor but that would all be included with the BB7 kit. Go with the Forte 720 bar...trust me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	installed.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	804626

Thanks! Already ordered the Forte 720. I actually got the idea from your post on this thread. I will eventually upgrade the brakes as there are a lot of hills here in the Ozarks. Amazon.com: Avid BB7 Mountain Disc Brake: Sports & Outdoors Looks like its gonna be about 150$ for both wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My Revel 29er XL ( I am 6'4)

Revel Thread-camera_zoom_20130602123545871.jpg

Revel Thread-camera_zoom_20130602123618189.jpg

mtbr member
    Did 9 miles at Coal Mine out in Black Diamond, WA. Some tighter single track following the Ravensdale Creek into Lake Sawyer. Beautiful 70 degrees in the Pac. NW and the bike handled excellent.

Revel Thread-bd1.jpg

Revel Thread-bd2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What a beautiful looking track I love the bridge! What fork did you buy? Can you tell the difference between 80mm and 100mm forks?

mtbr member
    @coling - awesome looking trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
    What a beautiful looking track I love the bridge! What fork did you buy? Can you tell the difference between 80mm and 100mm forks?

Thanks fellas, it was a good ride. lots of crayfish and perrywinkles in the creek under the bridge. If I had a tupperware I would have brought back a cocktail! I have a RS Tora 100mm with remote lockout. I love the fork personally, it's reasonably priced with respect to the frame I put it on and it handles well.

mtbr member
    Put together a quick video with my new Contour Roam. The music sucks, and the trails are out of order, itwas mainly just a test video. Used Sony Vegas Pro 12 to edit it.

I like it a lot, seems to do a good job, except the wind noise is pretty ridiculous. I've heard of people using those little round bandaids or foam over the mic port helps a lot with this.

Does anyone know where I can get copyright free music?

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    went for a six hour ride today and discovered some new trails I didn't see before. wanted to stay out longer but my 3 liter camelbak became empty. haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thats rad Coling! ! I wanna go there.

mtbr member
    Here you go. Looks closer to the BB than your picture.

Name:	1D3_6087.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	804766
    That's good news. Hopefully my other bike sells so I don't feel bad about spending more on bikes. I'm probably gonna get some nagware brake cables too. My rear cable is getting harder to pull each day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    My Revel 29er XL ( I am 6'4)
    Welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Put together a quick video with my new Contour Roam. The music sucks, and the trails are out of order, itwas mainly just a test video. Used Sony Vegas Pro 12 to edit it.

I like it a lot, seems to do a good job, except the wind noise is pretty ridiculous. I've heard of people using those little round bandaids or foam over the mic port helps a lot with this.

Does anyone know where I can get copyright free music?
    Good stuff! Is the trail "one way"? It looks like there isn't much room if another biker is going the opposite way. Hehe. The trails look "scenic".

Sorry but can't help much on audio and copryright free music.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMav View Post
    went for a six hour ride today and discovered some new trails I didn't see before. wanted to stay out longer but my 3 liter camelbak became empty. haha
    Six hour? WOW.. how many miles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    That's good news. Hopefully my other bike sells so I don't feel bad about spending more on bikes. I'm probably gonna get some nagware brake cables too. My rear cable is getting harder to pull each day.
    First real ride out today with the hydraulics. After today, I don't think I'll ever go back to mech brakes. To me, the hydraulics required A LOT less effort from me compared to the stockers and had PLENTY of grab with just 1 finger braking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Six hour? WOW.. how many miles?
    I honestly don't know how many miles but I know I am probably going to be sore tomorrow. my hamstrings are already worked. haha

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the rear derailleur that has worked for them? I tried to follow a few videos online but I can't seem to get rid of having the last 3 gears to shift one at a time. When I shift from the smallest gear to the next, it always goes to the 3rd gear. It also skips it when downshifting. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any tips on adjusting the rear derailleur that has worked for them? I tried to follow a few videos online but I can't seem to get rid of having the last 3 gears to shift one at a time. When I shift from the smallest gear to the next, it always goes to the 3rd gear. It also skips it when downshifting. Any ideas?
    Clean and lube the cable. I had the same issue and that resolved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Clean and lube the cable. I had the same issue and that resolved it.

Cable is brand new.. but I'll try that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    @Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Cable is brand new.. but I'll try that. Thanks.
    Is the housing brand new though?

Use a compressor, or can o' air and blow it out if it's not a new housing.

@Krunk, BTW.. I talked to the LBS about the headset. He couldn't give me an "exact" model. He mentioned that Giant offers a "sealed" bearing headset that I can upgrade too, but he wasn't sure what "brand" Giant was using. It was either FSA or Crane Creek. I told him to go ahead and order me a Crane Creek 40 series. I'll know the "exact" model when they figure it out. LOL. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Ahh ok. How much was the Crane creek you ordered? Please keep me updated.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Is the housing brand new though?

Use a compressor, or can o' air and blow it out if it's not a new housing.
    Nah, I reused the housing. Good idea.. I'll try that too.

Also, I might start over w/ the setting up of the RD. I mixed up my clockwise/counter clockwise I think when I setup the indexing in the shift lever.

Also, do you think if the chain is too "loose" it can cause this? Really surprise that I did not drop the chain this past weekend w/o the chain guide installed.

mtbr member
    Ahh ok. How much was the Crane creek you ordered? Please keep me updated.
    40 series starts at $60 or so.

mtbr member
    Good stuff! Is the trail "one way"? It looks like there isn't much room if another biker is going the opposite way. Hehe. The trails look "scenic".

Sorry but can't help much on audio and copryright free music.
    Missed this last night.

Yes, it's strictly one way. We have "Wacky Wednesdays" where the trails is ran backwards, but other than that, it's one way.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

Try readjusting the cable at the rd. I had to do that when installed my new rd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Missed this last night.

Yes, it's strictly one way. We have "Wacky Wednesdays" where the trails is ran backwards, but other than that, it's one way.
    I wish we had that at my local spots. I've seen it before but never tried. To be fair most of the one-ways I ride are designed to flow that way but I think it would be fun. You ever come across someone who is ill-informed and comes flying down the trail the regular way?

mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

I wish we had that at my local spots. I've seen it before but never tried. To be fair most of the one-ways I ride are designed to flow that way but I think it would be fun. You ever come across someone who is ill-informed and comes flying down the trail the regular way?
    All the time... And it's hard not to be an ******* to them but I never have.

I've had to do emergency stops before so I wouldn't destroy a little girl going the wrong way.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Early day at work so I hit I-5 Colonnade in downtown Seattle today. Urban park built directly under the freeway with all kinds of riding. I hardly captured any of it in the pic below but it really has everything from technical practice trails and other skill-building features to rock gardens, dirt jumps, bridges, and wood burms. Had a blast until I blew the rear tube. The bottom pic is NOT me I pulled it from Google. but I hit the same wall he is on with just barely not enough speed. I was at the same height and began to slid down and it blew. Game over.. Check the place out online if you don't live near Washington it's pretty nuts. All volunteer.

Revel Thread-c1.jpg

Name:  C2.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  110.3 KB

mtbr member
    Early day at work so I hit I-5 Colonnade in downtown Seattle today. Urban park built directly under the freeway with all kinds of riding. I hardly captured any of it in the pic below but it really has everything from technical practice trails and other skill-building features to rock gardens, dirt jumps, bridges, and wood burms. Had a blast until I blew the rear tube. The bottom pic is NOT me I pulled it from Google. but I hit the same wall he is on with just barely not enough speed. I was at the same height and began to slid down and it blew. Game over.. Check the place out online if you don't live near Washington it's pretty nuts. All volunteer.

Name:	C1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	805092

Name:  C2.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  110.3 KB
    That... That is ****ing awesome.

What is it called exactly?

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    WOW that place sounds and from that other pictured you posted looks awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Got the MRP Mini G2 chainguide installed. Had fun taking the drive side crank on/off to get the guide lined up *not. Hahaha. I ended up using 1 spacer from the BB. The ISCG bracket was suppose to replace the spacer but w/o the spacer the crank was rubbing badly on the guide. So, I went with.. ISCG bracket+BB spacer.. then BB cup.

Revel Thread-1d4_6443.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6444.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6445.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6446.jpg
    Revel Thread-1d4_6447.jpg

mtbr member
    Got the MRP Mini G2 chainguide installed. Had fun taking the drive side crank on/off to get the guide lined up *not. Hahaha. I ended up using 1 spacer from the BB. The ISCG bracket was suppose to replace the spacer but w/o the spacer the crank was rubbing badly on the guide. So, I went with.. ISCG bracket+BB spacer.. then BB cup.

Name:	1D4_6443.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	805131

Name:	1D4_6444.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	336.3 KB 
ID:	805132

Name:	1D4_6445.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	805133

Name:	1D4_6446.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	441.9 KB 
ID:	805134

Name:	1D4_6447.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	378.1 KB 
ID:	805135
    That lower piece, what is it? Is it a roller? That is very cool...I might have to pick that up...

On another note, if anyone else has a Contour Roam 1 (the original), I found a way to turn it into a Roam 2 - Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    That lower piece, what is it? Is it a roller? That is very cool...I might have to pick that up...
    The lower piece acts as a chain tensioner. The system is really a guide, bash and tensioner all in one.

mtbr member
    The lower piece acts as a chain tensioner. The system is really a guide, bash and tensioner all in one.
    That is awesome. My Google-fu told me it's around $130. Is that what you paid?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    That... That is ****ing awesome.

What is it called exactly?

The place is called I-5 Colonnade because it is built directly underneath Interstate 5 in downtown Seattle. It's actually kind of empty these days after a year ago they opened up Duthie Hill park in Issaquah everyone flocked there. That place is rad also, but this place is one of a kind. IMO Seattle and the greater Puget Sound region is one of the most diverse areas in the country for recreation.

mtbr member
    That is awesome. My Google-fu told me it's around $130. Is that what you paid?
    That might be the newer guides.

Here's what I bought to get this to work:

1) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (White): Sports & Outdoors

2) Amazon.com: RaceFace ISCG Adaptor Plate: Sports & Outdoors

3) Amazon.com: Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers; set of 4: Sports & Outdoors

Total: $90.35

mtbr member
    @Krunk_ Please HOLD OFF in purchasing this setup.

I just spoke to Race Face and they do not recommend me using another spacer in between the adaptor plate and BB cup. What Race Face recommends is for me to move the 1mm spacer from the left side crank arm into the right side crank arm instead. So I will try that out and see.

Revel Thread-r.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Welcome aboard!
    Thanks! this looks like an awesome forum

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast