Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    Looks like its gonna be cheaper to pay lbs to install rather than buy all the tools. Kinda sucks that its about $40 from the tools i priced. I wanted to do it but if its cheaper one way I might as well go that route.
    Yeah, I debated that myself. In the end, I bought this tool set...

Spin Doctor Essential Tool Kit - Save On Accessories During National Bike Month

It is not a "heavy" duty tool kit like the Park, but I like to mess with things myself and so far it did the job fine.

I did however bring the fork over to the LBS though. LOL. I was nervous about cutting it.

mtbr member
    Picked up a ContourROAM HD camera...couldn't resist any longer. I'd been watching it for weeks on Amazon on sale for $110.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I debated buying that exact tool kit a several months ago but decided I didn't need it at that time. If that includes everything for removing cranks and the nut setter for the steerer tube I may buy it. It would Be nice to have quite a few bike tools. Do they appear to be quality?

mtbr member
    I debated buying that exact tool kit a several months ago but decided I didn't need it at that time. If that includes everything for removing cranks and the nut setter for the steerer tube I may buy it. It would Be nice to have quite a few bike tools. Do they appear to be quality?
    **IT DOES NOT** include the nut setter for the steerer tube.

So far, no "slipping" yet and the tools I've used feel solid. They include 2-Piece Cone Wrench Set (2 x 13/14/15/16mm) that look suspect. I skipped using those and just went to my beefier Craftmans set. For emergency use, they will probably do fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Picked up a ContourROAM HD camera...couldn't resist any longer. I'd been watching it for weeks on Amazon on sale for $110.
    Nice man!
    Can't wait to see some vids from you.

mtbr member
    Should be getting my bike back from the LBS Thursday and some other parts to finish my setup by then. Will do a proper photoshoot by the weekend. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Here's an older video of me demoing a Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Pro.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    **IT DOES NOT** include the nut setter for the steerer tube.
    You can use a screwdriver as the star nut setter. That is what I did and it worked like a dream. Just make sure it is going in straight, which is easy enough to do.

mtbr member
    Anyone see this at Giant's website -

Talon 27.5 1 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 27.5? Cool! Sorry not Revel related, but they might make a Revel 27.5

mtbr member
    Here's an older video of me demoing a Jamis Dakar XCT 650 Pro.

What camera?

Anyone see this at Giant's website -

Talon 27.5 1 (2014) (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Talon 27.5? Cool! Sorry not Revel related, but they might make a Revel 27.5
    650B's are a *LOT* of fun. I demo'd a Scott Genius 740 FS a few weeks ago.

I've pretty much settled on the Scott Scale 740 (hardtail) next year.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    What camera?
    GoPro Hero2 (Quality might be so-so, I was just learning the proper ways to export when I made this vid)

650B's are a *LOT* of fun. I demo'd a Scott Genius 740 FS a few weeks ago.

I've pretty much settled on the Scott Scale 740 (hardtail) next year.
    At the Jamis Demo Day, I demo'd a 650 and a 29 back to back and you can really feel the difference.

I was set on a Trance 29er.. but might wait to see if they make a 27.5.

mtbr member
    To those who have converted to 1x setup... chain length: big-big +2 still hold?

I read this article - Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar

"Try the following when sizing a chain for your 1x setup: wrap the chain around the chain ring and around the largest cog on the cassette (without routing the chain through the rear derailleur), but try adding four links, rather than two—you can always remove additional links if needed. "

Just wanted to see what others have experience with.
    Last edited by ericgautier; 05-28-2013 at 10:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Clippless shoes and pedals are awesome. I can't believe it took me this long to get them. I crushed on Strava today.... Set so many new PR's

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I just recently went clipless on the road bike.... Went out for a ride that had two segments on it. I ended up with KOM on both!! I'd been creeping up the leaderboard on them all month, but the extra umph from the stroke put me over the edge!!

I've been upgrading the revel so much lately that I ran out of funds for a second set of pedals. I switched them out last night and gonna give it a go on the trail tomorrow!!

eff
    mtbr member

Re: Revel Thread

To those who have converted to 1x setup... chain length: big-big +2 still hold?

I read this article - Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar

"Try the following when sizing a chain for your 1x setup: wrap the chain around the chain ring and around the largest cog on the cassette (without routing the chain through the rear derailleur), but try adding four links, rather than two—you can always remove additional links if needed. "

Just wanted to see what others have experience with.
    I did the 2 link route. No issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    I've been upgrading the revel so much lately that I ran out of funds for a second set of pedals. I switched them out last night and gonna give it a go on the trail tomorrow!!
    Awesome! Let's hear about the upgrades.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    I did the 2 link route. No issues.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Revel Thread-photo.jpg

Chain guide to complete my setup. It might be overkill.. but I thought the price was too good to pass up.

I do have to remove the stock bash from the crank for this setup to work. Also, just an FYI--- I had to order shorter chainrings bolts after removing the stock bash since the stock chainring bolts were meant to hold a bash/chainring in place.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	803624

Chain guide to complete my setup. It might be overkill.. but I thought the price was too good to pass up.

I do have to remove the stock bash from the crank for this setup to work. Also, just an FYI--- I had to order shorter chainrings bolts after removing the stock bash since the stock chainring bolts were meant to hold a bash/chainring in place.

OOooh... link to the components?

Oddly, my setup has worked for months, but this past weekend, I dropped the chain three times. I dunno why, maybe I'm getting faster and more rough.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    OOooh... link to the components?

Oddly, my setup has worked for months, but this past weekend, I dropped the chain three times. I dunno why, maybe I'm getting faster and more rough.
    What's needed:

1) Race Face 2013

2) Race Face 2013 or Race Face 2013

**I ordered both because I wasn't sure which one will work. I'll report back once I get these 2 and try it out.**

3) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (Black): Sports & Outdoors (if you search on Amazon.. there is a white version).

***IF I had known that a single w/ bash wouldn't work with most chain guides, I would have gotten this - Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    What's needed:

1) Race Face 2013

2) Race Face 2013 or Race Face 2013

**I ordered both because I wasn't sure which one will work. I'll report back once I get these 2 and try it out.**

3) Amazon.com: MRP Mini G2 Steel 32-36T ISCG Chainguide (Black): Sports & Outdoors (if you search on Amazon.. there is a white version).

***IF I had known that a single w/ bash wouldn't work with most chain guides, I would have gotten this - Race Face Evolve SS Cranks 2012 Oe > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Nice...do you have prices for the race face shims and what not?

I was sitting here thinking about it, and I know why I started dropping the chain this past weekend. I got my clipless setup this past weekend, and I was reverse pedaling a lot more for balance...and that'll do it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Ran acros this last night. Depending on price I may just go to a single speed.

- Gates Carbon Drive Belt System

mtbr member

Seen a guy with a belt drive a few weeks ago. Quietest bike I've ever heard. He said it's unaffected by mud and dirt as well.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nice...do you have prices for the race face shims and what not?

bracket - Amazon.com: RaceFace ISCG Adaptor Plate: Sports & Outdoors

tabs - Amazon.com: Race Face Crank Arm Outer Tab Spacers; set of 4: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member

Those are definitely interesting and cool. If/when I have another bike, I'll convert the Revel to this.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping bike is done by this weekend. It's currently at the LBS getting the fork installed. I can report how well the chain guide works after this weekend.

mtbr member
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    So to recap on the 1x10 topic: for those who have successfully converted to this setup can you list the parts required to change over entirely from stock? I am running the RaceFace Deus X cranks so I think they are still compatible. But this would include the cassette, derailer, shift trigger, chain, etc. I really am on the verge of converting also.
    My 1x10 conversion consisted of:

- single speed crankset
    - cassette
    - RD
    - shifter
    - chain
    - chainguide

Click on my signature if you want to see a list of specific parts/models #'s I chose.

According to this article, Trail Tech: Put Your Drivetrain On A Diet - BikeRadar, I might be able to get away w/o using a chainguide. **Still undecided on that since I did buy the chainguide. LOL.

Definitely want to thank everyone on this thread for the help!

mtbr member
    OK -

For the crank, you need to remove the inner and outer chainrings. You can either; A. Get a bashguard and some sort of chainguide that works with a bashguard, like a N-Gear Jumpstop, or B. Get a chainguide designed for single speeds.

You'll need a new 10-speed cassette, a 10-speed rear derailleur, a 10 speed chain (I really like the KMC chains) and a 10 speed shifter pod. That's about it
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Your Best Friend

Re: Revel Thread

As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Cut the belt and then glue it back together. Itll be fine. :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    As a heads up for those enamored with the belt drive...it won't work on the Revel, or any Giant bike for that matter. It takes a specially made frame.
    Giant Seek?

2012 Giant Seek 0 | Belt Bikes

mtbr member
    Excellent, doesn't seem so difficult after all. Definitely moving that direction. Can I throw out a roll-call pic request? I've seen most of the rides on here but how about either a) your favorite or b) most current.

I'll start:
    homemade infused jabenero vodka bloody mary with bacon slice garnish....whoops wrong thread

Revel Thread-mary.jpg

Last loadout on the way to Duthie Hill Park a couple weeks back

Revel Thread-jeeobike.jpg

mtbr member
    MTB is my "Get Fit" hobby. I'll have "recent" pics by this weekend of the completed setup.

The other is my "Get Fat--Smoker" hobby..

(Pellet smoker)

Revel Thread-prime.jpg
    (prime rib)

Revel Thread-wings.jpg
    (wings)

I've done.. bacon, pork shoulder, ribs, chicken.. etc..

mtbr member
    Oh, here's a recent favorite before all the changes...

Revel Thread-6mr.jpg

mtbr member

Name:	jeeobike.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	803886
    How do you like the crossbar for the bike rack?

mtbr member
    I like it, it's worked fine for me. the bar is the right diamterto sit snugly on my rubberized clamps on the rack itself. Also it is spring-loaded inside so once I clamp both sides it collapses inward to custom fit. There are designated sides for the stem versus the seatpost. I use a bungie to sinch the front wheel, rack, and down tube so it doesn't swing on the road or allow the front wheel/handlebar to turn.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I'm looking at getting one myself. Brand/model?

Right now, I use the downtube for the left side (or vice versa) to mount the bike on the rack.

Revel Thread-bikerack.jpg

You can sorta see it here. Wife's bike is an XS.. mine is a S. Plan is after I get a wheelset to transfer all my stock parts over to her bike and convert her from v-brake to disc.

mtbr member
    My favorite shots:
    Revel Thread-img0586fe.jpg

Revel Thread-img0640dm.jpg
    Love biking through the woods.

Revel Thread-img0772gl.jpg
    Gorgeous view of the California coast.

Revel Thread-img0802jf.jpg

Revel Thread-img0868hk.jpg
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.

mtbr member
    @Oakeshott: awesome views!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

Name:	img0868hk.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	803941
    Most recent ride at Mt. Diablo. It climbs like a beast. I didn't expect this, but I actually prefer the Anthem X Advanced 29er over the Trance X 29er 0.
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.

mtbr member
    So I rode the same trail as the clip i posted a week ago but this time I set the GoPro to 1080/30 FPS and it was so much clearer. I'm not planning on taking the time to edit everything down again and bore everyone with the same trail (even though I'm dominating the more advanced structures that I was previously bypassing) but I'm set on that resolution as my standard. I was a bit discouraged by the video quality from the first one but clearly I was using the wrong setting for that style of shooting.

mtbr member
    Was actually playing around with an old footage... I'm still at 960 30fps. Export is 720p H.264.

Park info - Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Morning Ride near Franklin Township | Times and Records | Strava (only did 1/2 loop)

mtbr member
    Anthem X Advanced 29er cost twice as much though. Curious to hear what you liked over the Anthem. I haven't demo'd an Anthem myself but definitely wouldn't mind checking it out as well when it is time to upgrade bikes.
    Well I think it really depends on what type of riding you prefer. Downhill riding felt slightly nicer on the Trance, but it didn't feel as quick nor did it climb as well as the Anthem. The Trance weighed approximately 30 pounds on a small sized frame whereas the Anthem only weighed 26.5 pounds. The Anthem just felt way more nimble than the Trance. At the end of the demo, I still had a ton of energy left and I think it had a lot to do with the Anthem's weight.

I never rode 29ers before trying out these bikes, but now I'm seriously considering a 27.5 or 29er for my next bike. They seem to roll over rocks/roots/ruts extremely well even during those difficult climbs. Really, the worst thing about the whole experience was having to return them lol.

This review of the Anthem is pretty much spot on:
    Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 carbon review | Bike Magic

Cool vid btw, the music was epic.

mtbr member
    Aahh.. I didn't know there were 1 & 2's for the Anthem X Advanced 29er.. always thought it was only the 0 which is $9k msrp.

Yeah I'm going to wait and see if Giant makes the Anthem/Trance in a 27.5 wheel size.

mtbr member
    Revisiting the conversation about headsets...

Crane Creek has this "headset fit finder" - Headset Fit Finder but unfortunately, they do not list the Revel. So, I sent them an email and got this reply,

"I do not have the technical specs for that bike and Giant doesn't list them on their website. It appears to be a 44mm ID head tube, but the only way to know for sure is to remove any cups and measure the inside diameter of the bare head tube. If it does have a 44mm ID then you need the ZS44/30 complete."

Does anyone have the "tools" to measure the ID of the head tube?

eff
    mtbr member
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

40-Series

mtbr member
    40 series is exactly what I'm looking at.

While I was working on the bike last week, the steering felt notchy (not as smooth as before) and this week while the bike is at the lbs for the fork install lbs recommended I look at "maybe" changing out the headset. I'll see how it feels later after picking up the bike. That's why I'm doing some research. C'mon 5-o'clock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Why go with such an expensive headset? I've a lot of recommendations for the 40 series. I fairly sure this is what you would need.

40.ZS44 SHORT COVER

40-Series
    I really want to upgrade my headset, I ride in such wet conditions...and this is the last weak spot for water to bugger it up.

Are we sure these fit our bikes?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Seems we need to measure the ID of the head tube. I'll chat with the lbs later and see what he recommends.

mtbr member
    You will have to pop out the old headset and use a caliper to get an accurate measurement. I would probably try to call Giant direct or e-mail them.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast