Revel Thread

Printable View

• 08-31-2013
    dxn2
    I have a 2011 Revel 0. I am very happy with the bike but don't really ride trails. I would like to swap the fork for a rigid. Any thoughts on what a good fit would be.
  • 08-31-2013
    alexspires
    Hi everyone!

Someone know which type of BB should I buy to replace in my bike? I just finding for a new transmission set (XT Plus or SRAM X7) but the cranks has a lot of different types of bottom brackets like bb30, GXP, and others. But I don't know which one will fit into my bike...

Can anybody please help me? Thanks!!!!!

Alex.
  • 09-01-2013
    aeonsofmidgard
    my stock stem is 70mm... im planning to buy a stem what is more suitable length of stem to buy? 90mm or 100mm??? could you tell the difference??? also what length of handlebar to much with 90mm or 100mm stem???

-thanks
  • 09-05-2013
    3collinso
    Would these fit my 2013 Medium frame giant revel 1?
    Fox F32 100mm Fork RL Tapered Steerer 15mm Axle Lockout | eBay
  • 09-19-2013
    Crannon
    Been riding my 29er for a few weeks now, I seem to be having issues with the bike trying to slide out from under me while turning, even at slower speeds. This happens on dusty dirt roads and in gravel and such. Now I'm pretty new to all this, and its my first 29" bike. I thought it was just something I would get used to, but when I rode my friends regular revel 1 I had no issues at all and was able to take corners at a higher speed and with confidence. I found that odd. My psi is at 50, maybe thats the problem?
  • 09-19-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    It might just be the tires. Sometimes the tires can make a bike feel like a completely different bike. When cornering, try and press your outside leg into the top tube while leaning the bike. It will increase traction on the rear wheel.
  • 09-19-2013
    Crannon
    I'll try that. I'm also going to lower my psi to 40 and see how that does.
  • 09-19-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    I forgot to mention that. Lower the psi a tad bit. I usually run about 25-30 with tubes.
  • 09-22-2013
    eff
    Yup. Way too much pressure. I normally run 30-35 psi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
  • 09-26-2013
    Crannon
    1 Attachment(s)
    Lowered PSI to 40, huge improvement. Also, my bike at the park:
    Attachment 834998
  • 09-29-2013
    Thelate1
    I'm looking to upgrade my forks and brakes on my 2013 Revel. I'd appreciate some suggestions! My budget on forks is $225 range and will probably go with some model of rock shox. Brakes I'm kinda undecided on....
    Thanks!
  • 10-07-2013
    jaksa35
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hy guys,

This is my first post and my custom 2012 revel 0 ltd

Attachment 837345
  • 10-07-2013
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelate1 View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my forks and brakes on my 2013 Revel. I'd appreciate some suggestions! My budget on forks is $225 range and will probably go with some model of rock shox. Brakes I'm kinda undecided on....
    Thanks!

Check out the Suntour Fork upgrade program.

For Brakes.. I am very happy with the Shimano Deore M596 Hydraulic Brakes.
  • 10-07-2013
    Silentfoe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crannon View Post
    Lowered PSI to 40, huge improvement. Also, my bike at the park:
    Attachment 834998

For the love of everything holy, remove the kickstand.
  • 10-07-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    No. I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  • 10-08-2013
    Silentfoe
    Quote:

No. I like it.

Great. Then please keep the bike on paved trails where the kickstand won't hurt you.
  • 10-08-2013
    dirtbyte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Great. Then please keep the bike on paved trails where the kickstand won't hurt you.

What he is talking about is, if you are riding on dirt trails, that are even a little bit technical (rocks, roots, whatever), at some point you are very likely to go over a drop, or bump or something that will cause the kickstand to lower. As you can imagine, this is not something you would want to happen when you are riding (especially not at the speed you are likely riding at when this would happen).

So, it really is a safety issue, they are not giving you a hard time, they are just trying to prevent having to cut their ride short to peel you off the trail and get you to a hospital.

If you are using your "Mountain" bike, for "Mountain" biking. Then yes, it does need to come off. Is it that hard to lay the bike down, or lean it up against a tree, or rock, or whatever. Just take the damn thing off. Not to mention it probably weighs at least a pound :)

Oh, and while we are at it... Might as well take the reflectors off the wheels. They are useless, and WILL eventually fall off on the trail, and you will unknowingly be littering the trail. I see them ALL the time on the trails. Just another reason why hikers think mountain bikers are evil. If you are worried about being seen at night get some reflective tape, a front an rear light. That will work much better than those useless reflectors.
  • 10-08-2013
    eff
    Re: Revel Thread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    What he is talking about is, if you are riding on dirt trails, that are even a little bit technical (rocks), at some point you are very likely to go over a drop, or bump or something that will cause the kickstand to lower. As you can imagine, this is not something you would want to happen when you are riding (especially not at the speed you are likely riding at when this would happen).

So, it really is a safety issue, they are not giving you a hard time, they are just trying to prevent having to cut their ride short to peel you off the trail and get you to a hospital.

If you are using your "Mountain" bike, for "Mountain" biking. Then yes, it does need to come off. Is it that hard to lay the bike down, or lean it up against a tree, or rock, or whatever. Just take the damn thing off. Not to mention it probably weighs at least a pound :)

Oh, and while we are at it... Might as well take the reflectors off the wheels. They are useless, and WILL eventually fall off on the trail, and you will unknowingly be littering the trail. I see them ALL the time on the trails. Just another reason why hikers think mountain bikers are evil. If you are worried about being seen at night get some reflective tape, a front an rear light. That will work much better than those useless reflectors.

Well said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
  • 10-08-2013
    Silentfoe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    What he is talking about is, if you are riding on dirt trails, that are even a little bit technical (rocks), at some point you are very likely to go over a drop, or bump or something that will cause the kickstand to lower. As you can imagine, this is not something you would want to happen when you are riding (especially not at the speed you are likely riding at when this would happen).

Bingo. I was just too lazy to write it all out. Rep for you.
  • 10-08-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    Thanks for the clarification, and appreciate the advice. Really shows you care for others safety. I was not aware about the danger, I'll ditch the stand (mostly used it when storing the bike in the garage) and the reflectors.

• 10-08-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Taking the reflectors off can save up to 100 grams of weight. Might even be able to go faster after reducing the rotational mass that has to be overcome.
  • 10-20-2013
    aeonsofmidgard
    question which is the best fork of suntour: axon or epicon or raidon???
  • 10-20-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    Eventually would like to upgrade to tubeless. Local bike shop says the stock tires on my 29er won't cut it. Any suggestions for some "affordable", lighter tires?

• 10-20-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aeonsofmidgard View Post
    question which is the best fork of suntour: axon or epicon or raidon???

It all depends on your trails, what you ride, and the geometry of your bike. A longer fork could really mess up the handling of your bike and may require a new hub to accommodate the 15 or 20mm thru axle.
  • 10-20-2013
    aeonsofmidgard
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRRELSHOOTR View Post
    It all depends on your trails, what you ride, and the geometry of your bike. A longer fork could really mess up the handling of your bike and may require a new hub to accommodate the 15 or 20mm thru axle.

i think i asked the wrong question... which is the lightest fork of suntour: axon or epicon or raidon???

-thanks
  • 11-01-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    1 Attachment(s)
    Respectfully submitting my application to the Revel owners thread. :-)

Bought a 2014 Revel 29er a couple weeks ago. Actually owned a Cannondale Trail 5 29er for a week but hated it (XL frame was too big), and only L frame at the LBS was a Trail 6 or the Revel. Ended up feeling more comfortable on the Revel, so voila, I own it.

Put on some Ergon GS1 grips, and the LBS threw on a comfy seat (Planet Bike) for free. Next steps are probably the Suntour upgrade (Raidon) and Shimano M596 hydros.

Been for 1 real ride so far, the "white" track at Blue Hills in Canton, MA for any Mass riders, and I'm hooked. I love the Revel, and can't wait to go for a ride this weekend.

Attachment 843637
  • 11-01-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    That's great! The '14 29er is a great bike :). Might have to get a comfy seat for mine too ;)
  • 11-03-2013
    TheChefJPratt
    Quote:

Been riding my 29er for a few weeks now, I seem to be having issues with the bike trying to slide out from under me while turning, even at slower speeds. This happens on dusty dirt roads and in gravel and such. Now I'm pretty new to all this, and its my first 29" bike. I thought it was just something I would get used to, but when I rode my friends regular revel 1 I had no issues at all and was able to take corners at a higher speed and with confidence. I found that odd. My psi is at 50, maybe thats the problem?

I've been having this same issue with my 2013 revel 0! Makes the bike feel real sketchy at times. Been thinking bout trying better tires
  • 11-03-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    What's your tire pressure? I lowered mine and it pretty much neutralized the issue.
  • 11-03-2013
    Silentfoe
    50psi? Seriously!? Never any reason to go above 40 (unless you're overweight? ) I'm 200lbs and wouldn't run over 35 psi with tubes. I'm 28 tubeless.
  • 11-03-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    That's what I run at now (35psi).
  • 11-13-2013
    infes7
    Just bought a 2014 Giant Revel 29er, looking to upgrade my stem and handlebars. But I'm lost on what to buy. Any suggestions on fitment and I what to look for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
  • 11-13-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    Quote:

Originally Posted by infes7 View Post
    Just bought a 2014 Giant Revel 29er, looking to upgrade my stem and handlebars. But I'm lost on what to buy. Any suggestions on fitment and I what to look for?

Did you try flipping your current stem over to play with the angle of the rise? Also you can gain/remove quite a bit by rotating your current handle bar slightly, to raise/lower your hand position. Maybe try that before spending any money, especially if you're not sure what you want to buy.

After reading a ton in the past month, must folks seem to suggest wheels/tires before any other upgrades. Then fork.

Is your bike uncomfortable now? My bike shop added spacers and played with the stem angle for free. Maybe see what they have to say?
  • 11-13-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by A.C.Sanchez View Post
    Did you try flipping your current stem over to play with the angle of the rise? Also you can gain/remove quite a bit by rotating your current handle bar slightly, to raise/lower your hand position. Maybe try that before spending any money, especially if you're not sure what you want to buy.

After reading a ton in the past month, must folks seem to suggest wheels/tires before any other upgrades. Then fork.

Is your bike uncomfortable now? My bike shop added spacers and played with the stem angle for free. Maybe see what they have to say?

Saddle and grips, but I'm getting that soon. I want wider bars for more stability, yes I'm looking into tubeless as well.

• 11-13-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    Quote:

Saddle and grips, but I'm getting that soon. I want wider bars for more stability, yes I'm looking into tubeless as well.

Are you going to try to go tubeless with the stock wheels and tires? I've been trying to figure out if that will work...
  • 11-13-2013
    TheChefJPratt
    I went with wider bars. Found a set on eBay that were 780mm. And went with a shorter stem, 50mm. I want to try a set of 760mm bars next. 780mm is to wide in some sections of the trails I ride. Might even give a 60mm stem a shot. I also would like to upgrade the fork, and go tubeless. But I'm also thinking about picking up a trek fuel ex 7 or ex 8.
  • 11-13-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Are you going to try to go tubeless with the stock wheels and tires? I've been trying to figure out if that will work...

Friend said it should work out on giant stock tires and rims. But I haven't read about anyone doing this. So I may try it out, once I do I'll be sure to report back with my findings.

• 11-13-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    Blur with a Talas get's my vote....Slam it down to 85 for the climbs and take it up to about 110 for the downhills = BIG :D
    I'm 205 and I guess what you would call an agressive trail rider, love to jump and stuff but NO big hucks...
    The 100 RLC works good too but I prefer the adjustability of the Talas.

I want to see how 700mm felt.

• 11-13-2013
    TheChefJPratt
    According to my local bike shop. When I got my 2013 revel appraised, they said it was possible to go tubeless. The cost would be around 70 bucks they said
  • 11-13-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    Tubeless will NOT work with stock '14 29er tires. I'm looking for new tires too.

EDIT: ok if it works please let us know. I was going by what I was told when attempting to upgrade to tubeless. They said the stock tires were too wide I think.
  • 11-13-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChefJPratt View Post
    According to my local bike shop. When I got my 2013 revel appraised, they said it was possible to go tubeless. The cost would be around 70 bucks they said

Does the '13 have same tires and rims as the '14?

Quote:

Tubeless will NOT work with stock '14 29er tires. I'm looking for new tires too.

EDIT: ok if it works please let us know. I was going by what I was told when attempting to upgrade to tubeless. They said the stock tires were too wide I think.

So who wants to try this? Lol.

• 11-13-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    I was just going to get better tires anyway...
  • 11-13-2013
    Crannon
    Revel Thread
    Any suggestions?
  • 11-18-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    2 Attachment(s)
    Added my Suntour Raidon (through the Suntour upgrade program), and some white Wellgo Magnesium pedals. Done upgrading for now. I won't spend any more money on this bike, I'll ride this for a year or two then I've already got the itch to build a FS Chinese frame up. :) Still love this Revel though.

Attachment 847780Attachment 847781
  • 11-21-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Added my Suntour Raidon (through the Suntour upgrade program), and some white Wellgo Magnesium pedals. Done upgrading for now. I won't spend any more money on this bike, I'll ride this for a year or two then I've already got the itch to build a FS Chinese frame up. :) Still love this Revel though.

Attachment 847780Attachment 847781

Which fork would y'all think is better? The raidon through the upgrade program or this one http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=370943164406

Similar price range too.

• 11-21-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    Well the Raidon is air, so it will be more adjustable based on the pressure you set. I think you need to be at the Recon Silver level before you'd have something closer to an apples to apples comparison. That's what my research told me anyways. I'd vote for the Raidon.
  • 11-21-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Another vote for the raidon. The xc32 is the replacement for the dart which was rockshox's lowest level fork
  • 11-21-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Well the Raidon is air, so it will be more adjustable based on the pressure you set. I think you need to be at the Recon Silver level before you'd have something closer to an apples to apples comparison. That's what my research told me anyways. I'd vote for the Raidon.

My only issue is serviceability, my LBS does service on all rockshox forks. They don't really service suntour forks, one guy said he had done only one. This here lies my issue.

• 11-21-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Another vote for the raidon. The xc32 is the replacement for the dart which was rockshox's lowest level fork

So the raidon is better than the RS XC32TK?

• 11-21-2013
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Yes. My friend has it and it is nicer and more plush than my rockshox recon silver.
  • 11-21-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Yes. My friend has it and it is nicer and more plush than my rockshox recon silver.

Good to hear, I guess I'll use the upgrade program then. Hopefully I'll find someone local if I need to service my fork.

• 11-21-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Ok, so if its better will I need an air pump for the raidon to adjust for sag for my weight?

• 11-21-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    Quote:

Ok, so if its better will I need an air pump for the raidon to adjust for sag for my weight?

Yes, but a good shock pump is only $25, and is a great thing to own.
  • 12-01-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Any suggestions?

Just converted my front tire to ghetto tubeless conversion. Used a 24 inch tube, whole 2oz bottle of stans sealant, and a lil bit of gorilla tape. My hand pump wouldn't air it up. So I went a block away to the store and used their air compressor. Aired it to 40psi for now to make sure it holds. If it does, which I think it will I'll drop it to 28-30psi. So all the folks with stock tire and rims on our revel 29er, it does work!

Here is the link I followed.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...tricks-240026/

• 12-02-2013
    monchorevel
    Hi everyone Revel people !!

I'm new in this forum. I have a 2013 giant revel 1 small white/blue/black with some mods.

My bike weighted 32 lbs. new and now 24.8 lbs. without pedals.

I really like my revel.
  • 12-02-2013
    monchorevel
    1 Attachment(s)
    my bike
  • 12-02-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    What did you swap for 7 pounds!?! Tires I assume? Lighter fork?
  • 12-02-2013
    monchorevel
    Some mods are:

fork rock shox reba rl
    Wheelset mavic crossride
    tires kenda kosmic lite
    crankset xt
    handlebar Easton carbon
    stem and seatpost raceface
    shifters lx
    front der deore
    rear der xt
    seat specialized avatar gel
  • 12-02-2013
    A.C.Sanchez
    Now it makes sense, those are some serious upgrades! Very nice Revel.
  • 12-02-2013
    monchorevel
    The original fork sontour is very heavy, I think 6 pounds, the reba is 3.3
  • 12-03-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monchorevel View Post
    Some mods are:

fork rock shox reba rl
    Wheelset mavic crossride
    tires kenda kosmic lite
    crankset xt
    handlebar Easton carbon
    stem and seatpost raceface
    shifters lx
    front der deore
    rear der xt
    seat specialized avatar gel

Very nice chief! Finally some mods I can stand by. New tires for me soon, then easton cf bars, then raidon forks. Hopefully my fat piggy, will drop down atleast under 30lbs.

• 12-04-2013
    monchorevel
    Change your fork to a Fox or rockshox reba or suntour epicon (more cheaper) any fork below 4lbs and you down the 30lbs
  • 12-04-2013
    infes7
    Quote:

Change your fork to a Fox or rockshox reba or suntour epicon (more cheaper) any fork below 4lbs and you down the 30lbs

Thought the raidon was cheaper than the epicon? Raidon is also an air fork

• 12-05-2013
    monchorevel
    1 Attachment(s)
    Today I install a new esi chunky grips and feels goodAttachment 852355
  • 12-23-2013
    ericgautier
    ^ good looking bike! enjoy it.
  • 12-23-2013
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Hi everyone Revel people !!

I'm new in this forum. I have a 2013 giant revel 1 small white/blue/black with some mods.

My bike weighted 32 lbs. new and now 24.8 lbs. without pedals.

I really like my revel.

I can believe that! Feels like a totally different bike right? I lost a good 5 lbs off the bike and it felt awesome. Still have plenty of "stock" parts left that i could change to reduce more weight. :)

Click on my signature to see what I have done to my Revel. :thumbsup:
  • 12-23-2013
    monchorevel
    YES !! Its like another bike, when you down the weight you feel it, really feel in the long uphill's.
  • 01-04-2014
    infes7
    Just got my bike back from the LBS, had them install the SLX rear derailleur I ordered online for only 50 bucks(on sale). Shifts like butter now, no more ghost shifting. Ordering the carbon Easton handlebars now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  • 01-04-2014
    infes7
    Quote:

YES !! Its like another bike, when you down the weight you feel it, really feel in the long uphill's.

Could you give me a bit more info aboit our bb and crank? Looking to upgrade these as well. But there are so many options, I'd like to buy the correct sizes.

• 01-06-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Could you give me a bit more info aboit our bb and crank? Looking to upgrade these as well. But there are so many options, I'd like to buy the correct sizes.

this is my setup (1x10) :)

Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 10 Speed
    Crankset: Race Face Ride Single Speed, 170mm, 32T
    Chain Guide: MRP Mini G2 w/ Race Face ISCG Adapter Plate
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 1
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face Ride External BB, 68/73mm
    Rear Cogs: Shimano SLX CS-HG81 10 Speed, 11-36 Teeth
  • 01-06-2014
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    this is my setup (1x10) :)

Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M663 10 Speed
    Crankset: Race Face Ride Single Speed, 170mm, 32T
    Chain Guide: MRP Mini G2 w/ Race Face ISCG Adapter Plate
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy 1
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face Ride External BB, 68/73mm
    Rear Cogs: Shimano SLX CS-HG81 10 Speed, 11-36 Teeth

Just installed the non clutch SLX M662 derailleur, it's not 10spd. So I may stick to 8/9 spd, and just get a better 9spd cassette and SLX right shifter. As for the crankset/bashguard/chainguide, I'll scan CL, ebay, and various sites for good deals. But what size for the chain guide?

• 01-07-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Just installed the non clutch SLX M662 derailleur, it's not 10spd. So I may stick to 8/9 spd, and just get a better 9spd cassette and SLX right shifter. As for the crankset/bashguard/chainguide, I'll scan CL, ebay, and various sites for good deals. But what size for the chain guide?

There are a lot of options as far as chain guide goes. For the Revel, I suggest a BB mounted or high/low clamp (depends on your needs). I went w/ the ISCG tab mounted route, but knowing what I know now, I definitely would have opted for a BB mounted one.

Some choices here - Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

:thumbsup:
  • 01-07-2014
    ericgautier
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-07-2014
    monchorevel
    very nice
  • 01-07-2014
    jeremyreed
    Anyone have any experience with the new revel 29er? Thinking of buying one this weekend

TREESNIPER
  • 01-07-2014
    infes7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyreed View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the new revel 29er? Thinking of buying one this weekend

TREESNIPER

I have a '14 revel 29er. It's a great starter bike, already upgraded pedals(fyxation gates slim), grips(ergon), SLX RD, ghetto tubeless conversion.

• 01-07-2014
    jeremyreed
    Does it have the lockout?

TREESNIPER
  • 01-07-2014
    infes7
    Quote:

Does it have the lockout?

TREESNIPER

No, the stock suntour forks that comes on this bike doesnt. But search on this forum for the suntour upgrade program granted you're in the USA. $190 for the raidon with lockout.

• 01-07-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

very nice

Thanks. Still have plenty of stock parts to change over. :)
  • 01-07-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

No, the stock suntour forks that comes on this bike doesnt. But search on this forum for the suntour upgrade program granted you're in the USA. $190 for the raidon with lockout.

Yeah, I would just enjoy the stock fork until it is a limiting factor and/or needs replacing. Then go w/ the Suntour upgrade program.
  • 01-07-2014
    JohnPar5
    Quote:

Today I install a new esi chunky grips and feels goodAttachment 852355

How do you like the wheels? They look great and Price Point has them for 239 plus 15% off and free shipping. Please talk me out of getting them because I don't really need them right now.
  • 01-07-2014
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Well I have a confession...I haven't ridden my revel since I bought a full suspension. I want to ride it again but the rockshox dart is just sooo bad it would be like riding a rigid. I am thinking about putting some money into it and then maybe selling it. Not really sure what I should do with it. It just hangs on the wall.
  • 01-07-2014
    jeremyreed
    Anyone have any pics of the new one?

TREESNIPER
  • 01-07-2014
    jeremyreed
    Wanting to buy a bike this week.have it narrowed down to the revel 29, cannondale trail 5 29, rock hopper or hard rock disc..lol the giant is the most cost saving but would love some feedback and opinions/pics..thanks all..

TREESNIPER
  • 01-08-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Well I have a confession...I haven't ridden my revel since I bought a full suspension. I want to ride it again but the rockshox dart is just sooo bad it would be like riding a rigid. I am thinking about putting some money into it and then maybe selling it. Not really sure what I should do with it. It just hangs on the wall.

A rigid ss Revel? :)
  • 01-08-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Wanting to buy a bike this week.have it narrowed down to the revel 29, cannondale trail 5 29, rock hopper or hard rock disc..lol the giant is the most cost saving but would love some feedback and opinions/pics..thanks all..

TREESNIPER

Have you ridden all of the bikes? If not, I would highly suggest you go out and ride as much as you can then choose the best one you feel comfortable in. Parts can be changed over time.

Rockhopper has hydraulic brakes vs mechanical on the others.
  • 01-08-2014
    jeremyreed
    I have rode them actually the giant talon 4 27.5 is the one I like the best...

TREESNIPER
  • 01-12-2014
    ericgautier
    Talon is a good starter bike. I say go for it!
  • 01-16-2014
    Geoff Smith
    I was wondering if the revel 3 was compatible with disc brakes, if you upgrade the fork and wheel set.
  • 01-18-2014
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors
    Just wondering if anyone knows if this fork can be converted to 120mm internally. I read that it can be adjusted internally from 80-140, but I'm having a hard time believing that.

Is there any difference between these two forks? One is listed as an RLD. The other isn't. They don't provide very many details.
    2012 13 SR Suntour EPICON X2 RLD MTB Fork 100mm Disc Remote Lockout Black:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Here's where I read that it can be converted. Looks to be the same fork from the pictures.
    Adjusting the travel on the Suntour Epicon X2 | MUDDYGOOSE

Edit: went ahead and ordered it. Can't wait to get it and open it up. I added some traction pins and painted the pedals white on my Revel.

Rockshox recon should be on as soon as I get my epicon.
  • 01-19-2014
    infes7
    My cousin's friend upgraded his brakes this weekend to X0's and gave me his 2year old avid juicy ultimate 7. Just installed and taking to the lbs tomorrow morning to get bled and adjust since the levers feel weird.

• 01-26-2014
    Millerad1651
    Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. I've tried searching and googling but have found no answer.
    I'm looking at buying a '13 Revel 1. It's got the 26" wheels and I was wanting to convert to 650B/27.5. I cannot find anyone who has done it, or measurements. I know I need approx 14" from the rear wheel axle to seat stay, and 14" from axle to fork bridge...anyone know the measurement? Or if anyone has been able to install the 650Bs?
    I tried the 29er but didn't like it, too bulky. I rode a Talon 27.5 and really liked it. This Revel I found is brand new and I can get it for around $300, so I'm cool with buying a new wheel set and upgrading the fork and still not spending a ton of money. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
  • 01-26-2014
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Well I went ahead and swapped the fork over from the Scott. The bike probably lost a pound and feels a lot softer. And it looks sweet. The steerer was a lot shorter than u thought and it barely fit. Getting the crown races off was a pain. Somehow, the steerer tube on the Dart started rusting.
    The 110mm of travel makes it feel more confident in the corners. Less of a feeling that the front wheel wants to flop over.
  • 01-27-2014
    SQUIRRELSHOOTR
    Well the American based seller I bought my epicon from is shipping it from Taiwan. Said 4-6 days. Now I'm waiting a couple more weeks. Great. Might be buying some hydros soon to finish the hardtail.
  • 01-30-2014
    infes7
    Just installed Easton xc low rise carbon fiber handlebars. Man these are light as hell, wider too! Can't wait till tomorrow morning to ride!

• 02-10-2014
    ericgautier
    Quote:

Well I went ahead and swapped the fork over from the Scott. The bike probably lost a pound and feels a lot softer. And it looks sweet. The steerer was a lot shorter than u thought and it barely fit. Getting the crown races off was a pain. Somehow, the steerer tube on the Dart started rusting.
    The 110mm of travel makes it feel more confident in the corners. Less of a feeling that the front wheel wants to flop over.

She's looking good man!
  • 02-16-2014
    infes7
    Buddy of mine upgraded his drivetrain this weekend, gave me the take off. XT clutch derailleur, XT shifters, sram 1070 cassette. Taking my bike to the shop after my son's nap. Next week I'm going order the Raceface crank narrow wide.

• 02-17-2014
    coling
    It's been almost half a year since I posted last but I'm thrilled this thread is still going strong. To bring up to speed from my last post: I'm an uncle for the first time, my Seahawks won the Super Bowl, I never ended up getting a FS over the Revel, and I just bought a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek. It is probably the best car I could have bought.

Revel has been sitting patiently for me to stop snowboarding and drinking too much beer and that time is now. I just took it out of the shop for air, lube, visuals and she is as good as the last time I rode. Early in this thread you can see all of the things I have swapped from stock (maybe only ericg has me beat on this thread) but after putting cash away I have some big plans for her this spring. Mostly looking at a Fox CTD fork, Shimano Hydro brake kit and a new wheel set (not sure which). I put a new RS fork on last summer so if I swap I'm happy to send mine out for a steal to a fellow Reveler.

Cheers, feels good to be back.
  • 03-01-2014
    infes7
    Anyone have the weight for our wheelset? Looking into getting lighter wheels.

• 03-02-2014
    coling
    I broke into it a bit on page 2. Hopefully some of it is helpful for you. If you get a new wheel set please share! Cheers.