mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New question here. Revel 3 Disk (325) or Revel 1 (399)

Looking into getting my first 'proper' bike and it seems that Giant make great bikes for the less serious off roader like me.
    I use my bike more for getting too and from places but I like having the option of veering off the beaten track so road bikes and the likes are way too fragile for me. I also won't think twice about taking a big drop/riding down stairs/bumping up curbs etc.

This leads me onto my dilemma, I can't decide between the revel 3 disk and the revel 1.

I LOVE the look of the Revel 3 disk, the white red and black work really well and as far as I can tell it's a decent bike for the price, although admittedly I am no expert. This will set me back 325.

I don't actually like the look of the black and blue of the revel 1 but I can get it at a discounted price; down from $419 to 399.

I went into looking at bikes with a budget of 250 - 350ish, so the Revel 3 Disk wins on that point.

Due to my lack of knowledge in this area I can't tell whether it would be worth me paying the extra 74 for the Revel 1 or if I might as well save my money and go with the Revel 3.

I'll be extremely grateful for any help anyone can offer me on this site. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Never mind the color. what you're paying for is the components. Better components will last longer and you can put off upgrading. The only advice I give anyone here is to at least get the one with discs. You might as well go cheap, because if you ride more than once a week and really get into the sport, you'll be back to the shop buying a Trance X inside of 6 months anyway ;p

Cheers!
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerfred View Post
    Never mind the color. what you're paying for is the components. Better components will last longer and you can put off upgrading. The only advice I give anyone here is to at least get the one with discs. You might as well go cheap, because if you ride more than once a week and really get into the sport, you'll be back to the shop buying a Trance X inside of 6 months anyway ;p

Cheers!
    And if I don't buy a new bike within six months will the revel 3 do me as a bike for simply getting from point A to point B while still being able to take the more scenic route?

mtbr member
    Absolutely. Just Remember it is an entry level bike. Don't get carried away with upgrades. It's just not worth it.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerfred View Post
    Absolutely. Just Remember it is an entry level bike. Don't get carried away with upgrades. It's just not worth it.
    That's all I needed to hear! I shall walk down to my local bike shop on Wednesday and, fingers crossed, riding home
    Come this Tuesday I will be the proud owner of the very sexy
    Giant Revel Ltd.0

mtbr member
    Buy the one you like the most, components will wear out or break eventually.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Buy the one you like the most, components will wear out or break eventually.
    I suppose that is true enough. I may as well get the frame I like and work on the components as needed

I see you own a few Giant bikes (looking at your sig) how are they? I've only really heard good things about Giant but would love your opinion!
    Come this Tuesday I will be the proud owner of the very sexy
    Giant Revel Ltd.0