mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ReignX 2008 / chain guide size and recommendations

I need to get a chain guide and tensioner fitted to my Reign X. It has the standard crank, RaceFave Evolve DH, with a built in bash guard. Currently it has 2 chainrings on the front, but I am happy to remove the smaller ring and derailleur as I use it for DH only now.

I'm totally confused in the world of chain guide fitting sizes ISCG, ISCG old, ISCG05..

Can someone tell me what fitting is on the Reign X, and have any recommendations for a chain guide /tensioner that will work? I read in one thread that E13 didn't fit properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just fitted up my new 08 xo with a blacksipre guide that had from a precious bike. It was the C4 model and it bolted up in about 10 minutes. I am a fan of these as it is the third bike I have run a blackspire on and they work smoother my previous mrp although the wheels on a mrp are quieter out of the box. The chain does not have the ability to bunch up on the black the way it did on the mrp. Mine was marked a reg ISCG for the mount. I have not bee able to try the e-13 so I have no ability to comment. My

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great - thanks for sharing your experience. I had email from e-13 who confirmed that the Reign is a ISCG mount, not ISCG05. And to just clarify all the confusing postings I have seen on the web, they confirm that ISCG and ISCG Old are the same standard. The problem is, that not all manufacturers stuck to the guidelines very well.

mtbr member
    This is dejavu for me though, as this is concurrent to the exact same topic, which was discussed in depth over at another thread about the same model as well as other Reign models.

With the e-13 system, it is not worth the effort nor the cash when the Blackspire seems to do a far better job with a far less price tag offering more durablity with its choice of roller material and function yet, in saying that it also does have slightly less adjustability to that of the E-13 DRS systems.

If your DH Racing then I would go single ring front with the MRP set up, a duraAce rear cogset, and sell that sh!t RFace Tankset they offer up as cranks...those things have so much FLEX that it could give rise to a new level of defining the word and how it is used lol.

But that is easy to account for with a few handy DYI fixes.

This is the ISCG Home: Link

ISCG 05 Comprehention: Link

List of bikes with duplicity of maching ISCG systems: Link