mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Reign's bearing life

Hi. I would like to ask if anybody of you, Reign owners, had to replace any bearings. I know that there are lots of factors that can influence bearing life. But I heard that this type of suspension (like VPP, Maestro) suffers from bigger side forces than four bar linkage systems and the result is shorter bearing life. Thanks.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Reign Bearing Experience

I recently had to replace the pivot bearings on my 05 Reign3. After about a thousand miles I had turned several to dust. Of particular note are the small ones at the top of the triangle.

Though I understand that Giant will replace these under warranty I chose to purchase the kit from EnduroSeals as they seemed to be a superior product.

Because the bearings were completely gone and there is no access to the OD race to push it out, I had to use a Dremmel tool to cut through the race to remove it. The dealer would have likely ordered me a new rear triangle (under warranty), and I would have been waiting for some time on that. This is what influenced me to just do it myself.

The problem with the 05 bearings is that they are caged (don't know about the 06 version) and this means that the cage takes up space where more bearings could be. The Enduro Seals product is cage-less and is filled with Rock-n-Roll's sticky grease. I have been so pleased with RnR's chain lube I figured their grease would be just as impressive.

If you have an 05, you should at the very least take the suspension apart NOW, use a pointy tool to carefully pop the seals off each bearing (8 total bearings) and inspect and re-lube them. Then replace the seal and assemble. Or, have your dealer replace the bearings NOW, before they fail, to prevent downtime waiting on replacement parts to arrive.

Happy Trails