mtbr member

Reign3 - 8" rotor - is it possible?

On my AUS version of the reign 3, it comes with a Tora 318 fork, Hayes So1e hydro brakes with 6" rotors.

i was wondering if theres a possibility of changing the front rotor to 8". would this be possible and what brand of adapter would i use. the mounts of the front hayes so1e caliper are not like the hfx9 caliper.

thanks for any info

G

mtbr member
    I have 8 inch rotors on both the front and rear of my Reign so it really depends on the fork.

mtbr member
    yeah, but the Hayes Sole [so1e] caliper is not the standard 74mm type.
    it direct mountes to the fork without an adapter. what i need is an adapter that had the 8' offset but also allows for the IS 51mm mounting on both ends.

the fork will handle the force fine. just have to make sure the QR is done super tight.

Thanks

G

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pitto, I am looking at doing the same but was wondering about the QR. I have a Reign 2 (Aus spec 06) so I have a RS Revelation, nice stiff fork. I saw that the specialized enduro has 8" on the front with QR so that made me feel better. What is your opinion?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Shimano 203 IS adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Pitto
    yeah, but the Hayes Sole [so1e] caliper is not the standard 74mm type.
    it direct mountes to the fork without an adapter. what i need is an adapter that had the 8' offset but also allows for the IS 51mm mounting on both ends.

the fork will handle the force fine. just have to make sure the QR is done super tight.

Thanks

G

You could use the Shimano 203 IS adapter. I was made for the 4pot XTs and has an IS connection for both sides.

The Tora should be able to handle it without problems.

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    awsome, thats the adapter i was looking at. will it work on an 8" rotor? will do some research.

thanks mate.

Others who have used an 8" rotor on QR said there have been no problems, you just need to make sure your QR sqiwer is done up real tight.

G

203mm is about 8 inches

awsome, thats the adapter i was looking at. will it work on an 8" rotor? will do some research.

thanks mate.

Others who have used an 8" rotor on QR said there have been no problems, you just need to make sure your QR sqiwer is done up real tight.

G
    Not exactly when measured with a ruler, but a 203mm is are what is considered 8" rotors in the bike industry.

Good luck,
    Cris

In exile

thanks mate.

G
    I ride an 8" rotor on an 03 Z1 FR SL with a QR. It's fine.

mtbr member
    its no so much the QR, its more to do with the 51mm - 51mm IS brake adapter to allow the Hayes Sole 51mm caliper to fit. i have done a google search and that shimano adapter is a hard find. might have to hit up the local LBS to see what they can do.

heres another adapter i have found localy, just not sure if it will be suitable.

http://shop.dhdirect.com.au/store/pr...m116.inetstore

if i get this adapter and a 8' hayes V8 rotor, its a cheap upgrade for the front end, instead of outlaying large amounts of cash for Avids,well for now at least

G

That should do it!

its no so much the QR, its more to do with the 51mm - 51mm IS brake adapter to allow the Hayes Sole 51mm caliper to fit. i have done a google search and that shimano adapter is a hard find. might have to hit up the local LBS to see what they can do.

heres another adapter i have found localy, just not sure if it will be suitable.

http://shop.dhdirect.com.au/store/pr...m116.inetstore

if i get this adapter and a 8' hayes V8 rotor, its a cheap upgrade for the front end, instead of outlaying large amounts of cash for Avids,well for now at least

G
    Get the rotor and adapter .. and enjoy!

Good dirt,
    Cris

mtbr member
    Pics would be helpfull, I'm running a 8" rotor on my VT but with Shimano calipers.

Is the caliper post or IS mount? Depending on the mount you'll need an adapter to move the caliper back allowing the bigger rotor to fit.

Crappy pic but might be helpfull.

Is

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Pics would be helpfull, I'm running a 8" rotor on my VT but with Shimano calipers.

Is the caliper post or IS mount? Depending on the mount you'll need an adapter to move the caliper back allowing the bigger rotor to fit.

Crappy pic but might be helpfull.
    If I understood correctly his calipers are IS Hayes Soles.

Cheers,
    Cris

mtbr member
    If it's IS what he's looking for, here it is.

http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_....php?item_id=2
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-09-2006 at 09:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Hayes should have an adapter so he can use 203mm (8") rotor. If can't find it thru Hayes check http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/, I got my rear brake adapter from them.

Make shure that the fork is certified to do that.