Thread: Reign1 -vs- AC1

Chairlift Connoisseur

Reign1 -vs- AC1

Just curious for some thoughts here....a good discussion never hurts!

I'm currently riding an '03 AC1 which I bought new in Nov. '04. While I love this bike to death (honest), it's a tank (37-38 lbs) ...and to be honest, I have to fiddle with a lot of stuff during a ride to make it perform properly (other than the Z1 I added...I LOVE it!). In other words, I have to crank up the SPV reservoir before the climb to the top (If I don't it REALLY likes to bob), and then when I get there, reset the reservoir, the threshold, etc. before heading down......I should say that my favorite trails have downhill sections that many people like to take DH bikes on....

Just for the heck of it, here is a pic of my current set-up

Post #54 in this thread Giant AC thread: Show em off

I guess to summarize here are my questions to those of you who have owned/ridden both bikes (BTW, I'm looking at the '06 Reign 1)

How much better will the Reign climb?

Will the Reign be able to descend as well?

I've see the other threads, but they never really gave the answer I was looking for....how much lighter would an '06 Reign 1 be than my AC1?

Thanks!

jeb4

telemarc
    Jan 2005

AC1 to Reign 1

Depending on the weight of your current AC, My Reign 1 weighs between 28.5 aqnd 30 pounds depending on the tires I am running. I would say my AC decended better than my Reign but a lot of it was the coil shock on the AC wa more linear than the Air shock on the Reign. The Reign climbs much better than the AC.Sooo.... it is a bit of a give and take. My AC1 was in so many configurations I can't remember how much it weighed.

I just let one RIP
    The 06 Reign 1 should be just the ticket for you--the Fox 36 is a much better downhill fork than the Nixon on the 05, and it should still climb noticably better than the AC, as well as be a few pounds lighter. I have an 05 Reign 1 on which I put a 36 Vanilla, and it rips on the downhill, but I can still climb, though not as well as when i had the Nixon on.