Nat
    Solo contendre

Reign X2 on sale v. Reign X1 at full price?

Big memorial Day sale going on until Monday at the LBS.

Would you rather buy a Reign X2 on sale for $1799, or order in a Reign X1 at the non-sale price of $2499?

MTB B'dos
    Is the 36 and the drive train worth that upgrade price? I think the specs on the RX2 is a little low for what I'd assume you're looking at Nat, I would try to cut a deal on the RX1.

A bit OT, but is this for you and how come going back to 26"? AM/FR on a budget?

jones'in
    I ride an X1, but given this choice I think I'd choose the X2....it sounds like a pretty good deal...and an extra $700 in your pocket is always nice. Just upgrade the components as they break. In a year's time (if you're riding this bike like it deserves to be ridden), you'll have upgraded lots of the stuff that is inferior to the X1 spec, with the exception of the fork.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Is the 36 and the drive train worth that upgrade price? I think the specs on the RX2 is a little low for what I'd assume you're looking at Nat, I would try to cut a deal on the RX1.

A bit OT, but is this for you and how come going back to 26"? AM/FR on a budget?
    Yes, it'd be for me. Believe it or not I've always liked AM-type riding, and I've been doing more of it lately since the local terrain is getting more aggressive.

I manage alright on my SS 29er but it's not quite the best choice for what I want to ride.
    I want a big bike for when the mood hits and I'm liking this price range since this would be a secondary bike.

I would forget all about that seven hundy difference in about a week so I'm leaning towards the X1, but it's tempting to go get the bike they have on the floor right now, and $1799 is such a nice price. I'm just unfamiliar with the components that each bike has, so I guess I'm hoping someone would say they like the Marzocchi stuff better than the Fox stuff.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    I ride an X1, but given this choice I think I'd choose the X2....it sounds like a pretty good deal...and an extra $700 in your pocket is always nice. Just upgrade the components as they break. In a year's time (if you're riding this bike like it deserves to be ridden), you'll have upgraded lots of the stuff that is inferior to the X1 spec, with the exception of the fork.

--Ben
    Yeah, that $1799 seems like such a bargain. It's really hard to resist. Do you think the Marz fork and shock are at least okay?

MTB B'dos

Hope

You manage I wish I could manage 1/2 as good as you do on my FS 29er yeah with the stuff I've seen you post on a HT or rigid non the less I think you might have a blast ona 6" boinger.

As far as components go I'm not really sure there, I know the air shock should be lighter than the coil and overall the components are better, but as you said, the RX2 is right there. Unless it'd only take a week to get the RX1, then go ahead and get the RX2, have a bike to ride, for not a lot of money and if you really start to dig it you can easily upgrade the spec. Also try posting up in the shocks forum and searching for info on those forks and see what you find.

Oh and don't forget to post pics when you take this bad boy out, cause I know you'll be going big - just take it easy and don't harm yourself Oh and you prob already know it, but the Maestro suspension just rocks, if the big wig dumb asses at Giant had made a 29er Maestro I'd still be riding Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Yes, it'd be for me. Believe it or not I've always liked AM-type riding, and I've been doing more of it lately since the local terrain is getting more aggressive. ................................................I manage alright on my SS 29er but it's not quite the best choice for what I want to ride.
    I want a big bike for when the mood hits and I'm liking this price range since this would be a secondary bike.

I would forget all about that seven hundy difference in about a week so I'm leaning towards the X1, but it's tempting to go get the bike they have on the floor right now, and $1799 is such a nice price. I'm just unfamiliar with the components that each bike has, so I guess I'm hoping someone would say they like the Marzocchi stuff better than the Fox stuff.

mtbr member
    1799$ is a great price!

The spec on the X2 is so lala.
    First of, the 55 fork sucks in my oppinion. I bounced around and rode a bit on one mounted to an Sx Trail.
    Itīs no competition for the Van R at ALL! The Van R is a fantastic fork, speed-sensitive damping and so on, the 55 is cheap made, has a mediocre damping and is really a budget fork.
    The Stroker Ryde brakes are not THAT good too.
    The Roco R is probably as good as a DHX3 - there should be no problem.
    The cranks and shifting is durable but heavy, rather basic stuff.
    1799$ is not that much for a capable bike and the X2 surely will be a nice beginner bike.
    But that frame deserves just so much more!!!!
    Itīs really one of the best and plushest, most flickable DO IT ALL-frames out there.
    It deserves a 36 VAN, deserves some strong brakes and it deserves durable yet a bit lighter components.

If you can manage somehow to afford the X1, go for it. Youīll end up upgrading the X2 A LOT which will cost much more and basically only the frame and maybe the shock will be keepers.

If you can not get a X1 in a reasonable time frame, get the X2 and upgrade it. Itīs absolutely worth it, but I think a X1 is the better deal even at full retail!

BTW: I am on an X0 frame, custom built with Bontrager Rhythm tubeless wheels, a Float 36 RC2, nice drivetrain and nice etc. I came across the frame really cheap, but youīll end up wanting to put only the best stuff on there, as itīs such a fantastic frame!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Because for AM/FR 26" is better than 29" in so many ways, apart from the 26"-650b...he he he. The extra rotational weight, the tortional stress from the axle/hub to the rim, the rigidity and impact stress is neglibible over any minor advatages in that area of FR/ Agressive AM, although XC it is a nice change for fun in that niche...when the maintream XC weight weenie leg shaving bib wearing jock strap-helmet doning pro's start clapping on the 29" rad-fad, then I guess it will be a standard-standard ( )...ROLF. J/K.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx

But as to the the choice. I would honestly go for the X1, if for the only reason that later on if you had bought the X2 it would be a garanteed fact that you would at that time be buying a new fork very very soon, which would be putting you back a nice chunk of change. Therefore you may aswell spend the extra $1000. and get the fork as well as all the other upgraded items as a bonus mate, and be done with it.

I know the initial outlay is intimidating, but think about it logically when you are buying for long term use situations. Its a fact that you will get the "upgrade-itis" bug, and then perhaps only to level up on that dodgy fork that the X2 comes stock with, at the end of the first 3 months you would have had the X2 your living budget would already have been accounting for a new fork upgrade...so, spend the extra doe and dont cheap-out if your intended to use it say, more than at the formative level and wish to push the boundaries a bit.

GET THE X1 and be DONE with it...you will NOT regret it.

I would only get the X2 as a framekit (which is not available to my knowlegde) or if I was a real noob and wanted to get my first Fr bike to learn on, then when I bust my dodgy fork, well its no brown pants time but **fork upgrade time**
    Last edited by Sim2u; 05-28-2008 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would probably go X2 because as nice as the Van is it is still the R model and I would want an RC2 or Lyric so I would be changing the fork anyways. As far as the rest of the components, they break then just buy some nice ones. The Roco R should be perfectly fine since it is Maestro and it can be pushed. The $700 difference could buy you a 08 Van RC2 on closeout. Just some food for thought.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I think you're gettin ripped off on either one of em if you pay that for em. I paid 2000 for a brand new 2008 X1. See if your dealer will come off his MSRP a little for ya. You don't go to a car dealership and pay sticker price, so why would you do that with a bike. If they want to make a sale, they will do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hard to get a shop to come down on Giants since they are already priced pretty low. Never hurts to ask.