Engineer The Future Now!

Reign X1 for FR?

looking for a 2nd bike to do local dirt jumps, hucks (10ft,15ft+ to transitions), etc. but still be able to pedal on trails (albeit at a penalty for its weight) also some park/resort duty in the future. I am approx 5'11" and weight in around 210lbs w/ gear and am pretty hard on all of my equipment. Is the reign X1 up to the job? I'm sure that are some other able candidates for this type of riding so I welcome any and all experiences and or opinions, even smart arse ones Thanks.

Formerly DMR For Life
    absolutely there is at least one rider that I ride with that has an older one that he rides at resorts and goes huge on, there are also lots of pictures up over on pink bike of guys going huge on them

One thing to consider is that you will have to do a bit of playing with the set up to get it right for FR, ie shorter stem, wider handlebars, shorter seat post, different tire choice

I have ridden the bottom portion of the psychosis http://www.psychosis.ca/ race course on mine all bet at a slower speed and it took it in stride

So in a word Yes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ver-T
    looking for a 2nd bike to do local dirt jumps, hucks (10ft,15ft+ to transitions), etc. but still be able to pedal on trails (albeit at a penalty for its weight) also some park/resort duty in the future. I am approx 5'11" and weight in around 210lbs w/ gear and am pretty hard on all of my equipment. Is the reign X1 up to the job? I'm sure that are some other able candidates for this type of riding so I welcome any and all experiences and or opinions, even smart arse ones Thanks.
    Sure, but just remeber that the bearings will have to be replaced more often than a heavier duty FR bike. Maybe once a year?

I would only do 15 footers if you're really smooth. It's a strong bike, but that's gettting into the realm of FR-extreme and not light FR. As far as the amount of travel and quality of the stroke and progression, it could easily take it. Just expect to replace waer parts more often like bearings.

If you require it to do trail rides too, then you don't have much choice, the RX1 is the best you can get for that and still handle abuse.

mtbr member
    Is this a serious question....

mtbr member
    I think if you are riding DH or Fr styles then a bearing change is wise for ANY bike really regardless of design due to the fact that most bikes face similar stresses in that chatagory.

Engineer The Future Now!
    My intent was to build it up to do jumps and drops (but also some trail to get to and from) on a regular basis but also be able to handle resort/park duty on occasion. Were it to see regular DH abuse I think I would opt to go w/ a different bike dedicated to that purpose. As it stands, I need more of a do-it-all ride so I figured the ReignX1 would fit the bill. For those who ride them, are you running the stock 36 Van R fork and DHX-C3 or have you upgraded to different components? I imagine it's alot of preference but are there any must-do upgrades, like bearings, that have been mentioned?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'd recommend having 2 wheel sets (1-DH, 1-AM/Dirt Jump), use a 66 or a Totem, and look into a Roco TST R or DHX5 because both have adjustable bottom out resistance and solid slow speed compression adjustment.

My XO still needs a rear shock upgrade, but otherwise this is my setup.

mtbr member
    Yeah my XO still sports the stock DHX Air shock currently so that is in dire need of a coil for more DH stuff, but if you know what your doing then the Air is great. It is just not as burly for constant abuse though so if you are pushing your level factor then go coil, which the stock X1 comes with, but as the above poster wrote, its something you may wish to upgrade so that you have good bottom out settings.

This was the main reason I went with the XO in the first place. Instead of buying another whole wheel set, another shock - Fr & Rr; that would add upto more than what the XO was worth if I had bought the X1 plus the manditory upgrades for performance, and XO alreadyhad the plus of coming with a much better spec. I would like the Man Revox shock to try out though due to its adjustment and weight:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I just put a Roco WC on my X0 frame today. Feels great, although I did only the parking lot test.

My Float Rc2 and the Roco with a 450lbs spring feel quite balanced. I am really curious how it turns out on stairs and repeated fast hits. Pedals nice btw, not more bob than with the stock dhx AIR.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf
    I just put a Roco WC on my X0 frame today. Feels great, although I did only the parking lot test.

My Float Rc2 and the Roco with a 450lbs spring feel quite balanced. I am really curious how it turns out on stairs and repeated fast hits. Pedals nice btw, not more bob than with the stock dhx AIR.

Greetings Znarf
    How did you find a WC in the right size? or did you put a longer one on there?

Engineer The Future Now!
    What is the i2i length for the RX? For those running a Marz 66 which flavor did you go with and why?

mtbr member
    A guy from the german mountain bike bulletin board wanted to swap his 200x57 roco for a DHX Coil. I had a DHX coil flying around, didnīt like itīs performance, so we just swapped shocks.

I guess itīs an OEM shock, he got it off a frame company.
    Marzocchi does all kinds of OEM stuff if you ask em. The proper Rocos for the Reign x are oonly available as TSTs. Which suck for the Reign.

So I guess I am really lucky.

Greetings Znarf

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    The proper Rocos for the Reign x are oonly available as TSTs. Which suck for the Reign.
    Why does the TST suck? I've heard otherwise...

Also to the metricly challenged, the Reign X uses an 7.875 X 2.25 shock.
    Last edited by Uncle Cliffy; 06-07-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

X2

I just bought a reign x2 large.
    I am 6'-2" and 260 lbs and sort of a newbie rider.
    I have had a hard tail for a few years but this is my first real full suspension.
    the bike came w/ a 500lb spring that felt soft to me (I changed that to a 550lb spring)
    what a difference.

So far I like it a lot. I have not done any major climbs but the ones I have done the bike has handled it well.As far as going down hill it is a blast.
    I bought the bike to do all types of riding and to take to a lift service mnt.once or twice a year.
    so far I have hit 5ft jumps w/ out any issues.
    I hope this helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Why does the TST suck? I've heard otherwise...

Also to the metricly challenged, the Reign X uses an 8.875 X 2.25 shock.
    Agreed.

TSTr is the tits for the Reign X. Couldn't imagine needing a better shock back there.

Feels even better than a PUSHed DHX 5.0, and that's saying one hell of a lot.

Considering that the TSTr can be tuned by PUSH to your liking, even to feel like the WC, it's the perfect shock for the Reign.

It does suck that some shocks like the Chubby, CCBD and Roco airs probably won't fit in the shock hole.

mtbr member
    Hi!
    "sucks" was a bit drastic I guess.

I meant the following: The Reign X doesnīt need a platform, therefore it works nice with the WC, which has speed sensitive valving and a really high amount of max oil flow. The Tst is a really good shock as well, better than the DHX Coil (which I am NOT to fond of!). If you want maximum performance, you should get the shock custom tuned, for sure. After a push treatment the WC and the TST should be very similar, as most parts that make up the difference between those two shocks will be replaced with PUSH parts anyway.

Good to know that you like the TST as well! I am sure youīre having a lot of fun with this fantastic bike!!!

I sound like a smartass anyway now, so I can also say, that the Reign does use a 7.875 shock. 8.75 would be really a big shock.

So, donīt be angry, I didnīt mean to offend anyone. Enjoy your great bikes!

btw. what front derailleurs do you guys use? The newer XT and LX ones have to be mounted quite high, to reduce contact with the rear end under full compression.

Any hints for a good solution?

Greetings Znarf

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Hi!
    I sound like a smartass anyway now, so I can also say, that the Reign does use a 7.875 shock. 8.75 would be really a big shock.
    Ha ha ha, DOH. I edited my post. That damn 8 key is too close to the 7!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Engineer The Future Now!

Ccdb?

Anyone running a CCDB on their RX? Seems like it would work well for an all-around bike application. Spendy tho...

mtbr member
    Anyone know if you can put a longer shock on a GRX? Get a little more travel? Anyone tried it?
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page