mtbr member

Reign X under 30lbs???

Anybody ever get their Reign X under 30lbs with pedals.
    If so, what were you running.

Slower But Faster
    Any current model Reign X under 30lbs is likely to be so fragile that it would not be able to be used for the purpose it was designed, the frames are just too heavy to do a sensible build under 30lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a 2005 Reign 3 that is 30.5lbs. Weighed it this weekend since I wanted to see the weight difference between my new Trance X1 and the Reign.

Have a Fox Talas fork, Sram 990 cassette, 995 chain, carbon fiber straight bar, Race Face Duce crank, 7 front rotor, and Maxxis Igniters. Other than that it is stock.

It is not fragile by any means. I have thrown it off Mt Washington in NH (downhill style) and have never had an issue with worrying about what it could handle. Myself maybe, my bike...NO!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's do-able, but I'd say the spec would be too compromised to be able to use it for its intended purpose.

Mine's somewhere around 32.5lb at the moment, I could get it lighter, but wouldn't want to change many of the parts out for lighter ones...

I'm sure if you ran full XTR, Mavic Crossmax ST's, Float 36's, Float RP23 shock, some lightweight 2.2" tyres, Carbon Handlebars, some lightweight 2 pot brakes with small rotors, an SLR saddle and Carbon post, some eggbeaters etc etc. You could get it under 30lb for sure. But it would certainly miss the point!

It's not heavy for its travel anyway (frame is around 8lb including DHX Air iirc), so don't worry too much about it!

2 minutes turkish
    It's easier to start with a regular Reign put more travel on it. Out of the box you can get more travel with a longer rear shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist
    It's easier to start with a regular Reign put more travel on it. Out of the box you can get more travel with a longer rear shock.
    It's not the travel I am looking for, It is the geometry. I would just purchase the 09' Reign but I only want the frame. It's a bike for my wife so it is looking like I will have to just get the Reign 2 and part it out on ebay. It's easier to buy a used Reign X on ebay. But I will fight the weight from the get go!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    wormvine, you can buy leftover stock, brand new reign x framesets from your giant dealer at a nice discount. that's what i did (as a complete '08 bike) last week. now i'm in the club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the geo on the newer Reigns. The BB is at a nice height ~14", the TT aren't super long, and the HA with the 140mm fork is 68deg. Throw a Lyric or 36 fork on the front and stuff a 2.25" stroke shock to gain the 3/4" travel in rear and it's basically a light version of a Reign X. Not a bad option for a light rider looking to use it like I would use a Reign X.