Thread: Reign X sizing

mtbr member

Reign X sizing

Looking at reign X1 Medium or Large. I am 5' 10.5" and ride a Blur LT2 Large now. It feels little short but I got used to it. There are benefits, especially jumps and drops (I don't go huge but I do like some air).

I tried my friends Reign SX Medium (18" seat tube, measured) that has the same geometry as the Reign X. It feels a lot bigger than my blur. Even though the blur has longer top tube, seat tube and stem, the SX feels a size larger. Why does the bike feel so big? My friend also says the bike is big, he is my height.

I read some threads and most people recommend large for my height. That must be a really big bike. I didn't read a lot of people saying those are relatively big bikes, so I may be missing something.

What to do now? The SX convinced me that I need a reign X. I probably shouldn't have ridden it in the first place, then there would be no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6' 0'' and ride a reign x1 in medium. It fits me perfect. When I test rode the large it felt huge and the small was so cramped I'd have a hard time not hitting my knees on the bars while jumping around. The medium is large enough to give me some cockpit room, but still small enough to maneuver around on tight singletrack. With the medium you could always go with a shorter or longer stem if needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey I'm just about your height and I bought a 2012 x2 in medium and it fits me great, go for that X1 you'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Looking at reign X1 Medium or Large. I am 5' 10.5" and ride a Blur LT2 Large now. It feels little short but I got used to it. There are benefits, especially jumps and drops (I don't go huge but I do like some air).

I tried my friends Reign SX Medium (18" seat tube, measured) that has the same geometry as the Reign X. It feels a lot bigger than my blur. Even though the blur has longer top tube, seat tube and stem, the SX feels a size larger. Why does the bike feel so big? My friend also says the bike is big, he is my height.

I read some threads and most people recommend large for my height. That must be a really big bike. I didn't read a lot of people saying those are relatively big bikes, so I may be missing something.

What to do now? The SX convinced me that I need a reign X. I probably shouldn't have ridden it in the first place, then there would be no problem

mtbr member
    Thanks. Does the bike feel big to you comparing to other bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It feels a bit larger than my M 2011 reign 2, which felt a tad cramped for me. And compared to a friends M spesh enduro it feels a bit longer as well.

May contain nuts
    I'm 5'10" and ride a medium 2011 RX and large TX. RX is fine for all-round duty with a 70mm stem, zero-offset post and wide bars (750mm). I ride lifts, jumps, trail and the occasional 50km road circuit on it with plenty of climbing. Only drawback of a medium is lowering the necessarily-long seat post enough for jumping and DH.
    Large TX also fits well with a 60mm stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reign X sizing-img_1802.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks. What is the seat tube length of the medium? Giant does not write it in the geometry tables.

May contain nuts
    430mm from centre of BB to top, max post insertion is 190. (I cut down a 410 to 375 to leave min of 115 inserted at riding height).

Slower But Faster
    I'm 5'10" and ride a medium 2010 RX with 50mm stem and 785mm bars. I run a 125mm Reverb seatpost. I wouldn't want anything bigger if you ride the bike on the type of trails it was made for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm slightly shorter than most of you at 5' 8.5". I test rode a small Reign X the other day, and didn't notice it being especially small... I would typically ride a medium, but it sounds like these bad boys run a bit large.

For those of you who are ~5' 10" and ride a medium, is the fit just about perfect, or does it verge on being too large or small?
    Last edited by applecakes; 07-17-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes View Post
    I'm slightly shorter than most of you at 5' 8.5". I test rode a small Reign X the other day, and didn't notice it being especially small... I would typically ride a medium, but it sounds like these bad boys run a bit large.

For those of you who are ~5' 10" and ride a medium, is the fit just about perfect, or does it vergo on being too large or small?
    For me the fit is just right with the qualifier that I have longish legs (33" inseam) and a short torso for my height (5'10").

At 5'8.5" your just in the range Giant recommend a medium for (5'8" to 6'0") so it will come down to your preference which can only really be determined by throwing a leg over both at the shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks Brent! Unfortunitly only one shop in my area carries the Reign X, and they only have a small in stock :'( I'll have to drop in there again and be a little more critical of the feel of a small frame.

Do you think a non-X reign would have similar enough geometry to give me a good idea of the medium sizing?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Both small and medium are ok to me
    Can someone who owns a medium reign x help me measure the max seat post insertion? I am afraid the small frame doesn't have enough seat tube so that I can ride comfortably both up and down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Somehow this got posted twice... Oops
    Last edited by applecakes; 07-17-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I tried a medium and it fits, as in short bike fit. I am used to that from my blur that is on the shorter side. Apparently my friends medium was a large. I would say I can use either one, medium for more playful bike or large for more stable (possibly good on the fast downhills). What I didn't like about the large is the longer head tube. The bike has pretty tall front. But other than that, I can see riding both. Rider preference.