squish is good

Reign X rear shock alternate sizing question

Does a 7.875 x 2.00 = a regular reign with the Reign X frame? I'm picking up an air shock for my Reign X for trail riding (moving to Kansas, flat, yuck) and I'm thinking about trying to drop it's travel a little. I feel like the bottom bracket is already lower than my old 05 Reign that I loved but I'm wondering if getting rid of that extra .25" of shock travel affects the ride too much. Looking at an RP23 or rock shox Ario to knock some weight off the bike and hopefully improve it's already good pedaling habits. Will be keeping my Rocco coil shock for the road trips to do DH stuff so this is just so I don't have to buy a second bike. I'm open to piggyback shocks too but just wondering about the sizing? Lemme know if anybody has had good or bad experiences!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The eye to eye is the same for both Reigns, so switching to the Reign shock will only get you less travel & same bottom bracket height. I would leave shock the same & put a 150mm fork on there instead. Unless you want to get the pro pedal.

squish is good
    I think the plan is to go to a 36 Talas 180 fork and just slam it down to 140 for flat trail rides and then bump it back to full travel for the destination downhill trips. I'm more curious if the leverage rate on the Maestro suspension is going to plow through a shorter stroke XC shock if I go with the 2.00 stroke. I'd prefer less travel for the flat pedaling stuff myself.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I believe the leverage ratio is the same between the 2 models. I have Reign 0 & weigh about 200lbs with the stock Fox rp23 I had to run about 250psi & I would still bottom frequently. I have since changed the shock to a rockshox vivid air with a 2.25 stroke instead of the 2" stroke & I inflate that shock to about 215lbs. I now only bottom out on big hits.