mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Reign X: Is My Coil Right For Me?

I am wondering about whether or not the coil on my DHX 3 shock is right for me.
    • I weigh about 225 suited up to ride.
    • Currently have a 550x2.35 coil on there
    • Riding a Giant Reign X size L
    • Shock stroke is 7.875x2.25
    • 158 psi in Propedal chamber
    • There are 52 total mm’s of potential screw down on the shock (from where the collar connects at the top to the furthest down you can screw it. I hope that makes sense)
    • I have the top of the collar at 30 mm of that 52 mm available so roughly 3/5 of the shock through it’s compression. Considering the collar is a few millimeters thick, I probably have only 16 mm to go
    • My sag is about 48 mm
    I hear that at 48mm sag I am at the right level, but my question is to get there am I having to compress the coil too much and have to much air in the propedal chamber? Would a higher rate coil free up some of that for better ravel?

Thanks,
    Heath

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron's a Wuss
    I am wondering about whether or not the coil on my DHX 3 shock is right for me.
    • I weigh about 225 suited up to ride.
    • Currently have a 550x2.35 coil on there
    • Riding a Giant Reign X size L
    • Shock stroke is 7.875x2.25
    • 158 psi in Propedal chamber
    • There are 52 total mm’s of potential screw down on the shock (from where the collar connects at the top to the furthest down you can screw it. I hope that makes sense)
    • I have the top of the collar at 30 mm of that 52 mm available so roughly 3/5 of the shock through it’s compression. Considering the collar is a few millimeters thick, I probably have only 16 mm to go
    • My sag is about 48 mm
    I hear that at 48mm sag I am at the right level, but my question is to get there am I having to compress the coil too much and have to much air in the propedal chamber? Would a higher rate coil free up some of that for better ravel?

Thanks,
    Heath
    Here are my settings for comparison - I'm about 160lb riding weight:
    - 500lb spring (came stock on my Med Reign X1)
    - ~120psi boost pressure
    - I'm running minimum preload (1 turn of the collar).

I can get full travel on big hits/bumps (using the bumper as a travel indicator), but on a trail ride there can be 10-15mm unused on the shock shaft, and it feels pretty firm while climbing, so I'm thinking about trying a 450lb spring.

Based on your weight, settings and comments (banging your pedals a lot), I think you might need a heavier spring (600lb or even 650lb). Using a lot of preload doesn't change the spring in the second half of travel, so likely you are blowing through the sag point of the suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Looks like that we're in the same boat. Use 700x2.35 for rear spring, make it 200 psi. Swap the front Van 36 spring with the yellow one (Fox uses color code for the front spring). Both spring available from Fox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You should not thread the spring collar more than 3 full turns from initial compression. Basically, thread the collar down until it just begins to compress the spring. From that point, you have 3 full turns of adjustability. If you need more than that, you need a heavier spring. Threading the collar more than that can cause the spring to "coil-bind", which can damage the shock.