Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Reign X fork upgrade: Totem or 66

I've been using my fantastic Giant Reign X1 (with stock Fox 36 160mm fork) increasingly on DH, and have now started competing.
    I can't afford to buy a full DH rig this year, but I have read many reports of the Reign being a pretty capable DH machine for mere mortals like myself.

Consequently, I am considering replacing the fork for a 180mm item for extra travel and slacker angle. Considering RockShox Totem or Marzocchi 66.
    On the down side, I have read the Totem is fraught with reliability issues, and the 66 is heavier and I saw a terrifying picture of a 66 snapped off at the crown.

Or...would it be better to go for a 200mm double crown...or does this really destroy the geometry too much.

Anyone out there have experience or advice on this?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    geomtery-wise, a dual crown is very lose to either a 66 or a totem. in fact, the totem is spec'd at the same A2C as a boxxer. the problem with DC forks is an apparent increase in stress on the headtube due to increased stiffness inf the fork.

I'd say go totem though. marzocchi has been shady with their stuff lately, and I'm going to need to see raving reviews to even consider them anymore. always been happy with my rock shox stuff though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Useful advice, thanks.
    I would also tend towards a Totem, as the 40mm stanchions look quite beefy. I think dual crown might be overkill for my bike, and also upset the weight balance, making it too front heavy.
    I did however read some negative reviews of the Totem related to reliability in the mtbr reviews. Any insight into that?

mtbr member
    The GRX is an extremely great DH bike (and most DH courses run at race spec that I have been on are not like BC with massive drops and stunts thereof) due to the fact that it is far lighter than most DH rigs, which basically means it is more agile and very flexible with what it can do. I have owned and ran both the 07 and currently the 08 GRX in racing at quite a high level with 3 wins last year on the podium with 1st place and 1 3rd. Most of the other crew within the races are all running far heavier DH rigs such as Iron horses, Foes (popular here in J-Land) as well as a slew of various other designs and brands, most of which are by far outstripping mine in the weight category. Although, of course much more burly in light of the fact that they ARE specific to DH only!

Warranty wise yes you will void the bike with a D.C.Fork, YET...the boxer does run well with it, although I would not recommend it purely based on the warranty side of the fence.

Likewise with PHaines, I would run the totem on there as this is what I will be running in 2010 yet on the GRX-2010 model, which will be vastly different than what is currently being offered. Either way my personal OP is also the same to that of PHaines in light of Marz QC issues. In saying that though, the 66 is a burly fork but somewhat heavy and I really do like Marz stuff before they really blew the coup.

Yup, Totem from your choices is what I would run.

In terms of the boxer making it too front heavy is a non-issue really, and I have run one on mine for a short stint to just play with the geo and see how it handles so have to say that it was Ab-Fab...but I cant do that with mine or it would be taken from me so its a no brainer in my mind. Nevertheless at the end of the day you really should not do it unless you are unphased and not really worried about any warranty isues...but hey, that lifetime warranty is sweet though.

So, get a wider opinion regarding OTHER forks if you are interested, but again, the 09 Totem is by far better than the 08 with regards to reliability though and again, if you maintain it at that race level, you would and should have no probs...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Sim2u. Its inspiring to hear your ReignX experiences in DH. I myself entered my first ever DH competition a month ago with my GRX and came in 5th, where nearly every other rider had full DH rigs, such as Intense M5/M6, Orange, Glory DH, Kona.

Having owned the GRX only 6 months, I can't justify changing it, and your comments have verified that I really don't need to! 2 things only to do: 1) chainguide 2) fork upgrade

Totem looks like the way to go, and additionally it will look great on a GRX with those beefy stanchions.

wcr
    mtbr member
    May 2005

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nice! How does it ride with the Totem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm making a switch this year on my Reign X fork. I'll be honest, I'm planning to go Totem strictly for the weight savings over the 66. I use the bike for everything from XC to light Freeride and dirt jumping. If I wanted the best DH bike out of it I would probably be thinking '09 66 RC3 because I just love the feel of Marz coil forks. That and I don't think any forks in this category were without issues last summer.

Bad bushings from the factory can be fixed right away, same with seals. Of course a blown seal at the wrong time could be very bad since front brakes are very close and can easily get coated.

Now my debate will be coil or air Totem.

mtbr member
    Air will be the future as the tech becomes more than what it is now prehaps, especially when they are trying to tune them and mimic various and similar characteristics as the coil versions.

Myself I will be going air all around for the weight...as I said, if this were a BC style, nut-busting, jaw clenching, insane drop fest with some serious jumps and gaps that would make a dentist clench his his but cheeks, then I would go coil all around and change various parts to beef-up the amount of abuse it would be able to take. Nevertheless, most race tracks are simply not like this at all so one really does not need all that heavy metal if your riding is at that level. In saying that though, it really does depend on many issues and one of those being the individaul weight of the rider...a more beefy chap would need something more than the GRX would be able to offer if his riding is not yet up to that level and in that case I would recommend the glory. If buying a new bike (which is not teh case here) I would weight for the 2010 model which I hvae said on many threads if only due to the fact that it really will be worth the weight and the investment.

You chaps should all put your bike set ups in the GRX data base here to add to the knowledge pool: Link - GRX Data Base
    Last edited by Sim2u; 03-11-2009 at 05:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If u break the frame cant u just put the original shocks back on and say that u never changed them thus keeping the warranty?

mtbr member
    ................no!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 165 lbs (75Kg) plus you can add a few lbs for the body armour and helmet. Given everyone's kind inputs I'm definitely going for a Totem, and now deciding on air or coil.
    With the coil there is no preload setting (except for changing spring) - is that correct? Only the air has a pre-load for setting sag?
    The air shock is 220g lighter than the coil.

wcr
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Totem feels great for more of a freeride/dh ride!

mtbr member
    actually its interesting to see all your stickers on that beautiful beasty...I'm usually the chap who rips all mine off with the partial illusion of saving grams (he he he) as well as keeping the bike very minimal and sleek. But then again I guess each is to his or her own.

What are your settings on the fork so far and what has worked for you in variouus terrain at present...?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would upgrade the fork and worry about the warranty later. If the frame breaks you can just put the old forks back on and then get it replaced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    And people wonder why I don't trust people...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    QUOTE=PaulHaines]I've been using my fantastic Giant Reign X1 (with stock Fox 36 160mm fork) increasingly on DH, and have now started competing.
    I can't afford to buy a full DH rig this year, but I have read many reports of the Reign being a pretty capable DH machine for mere mortals like myself.

Anyone out there have experience or advice on this?[/
    QUOTE]

He'll probably kill me for this, but Krispy pretty much crushed the men's DH field at Bootleg Canyon in his class last month on his Reign X with a camouflaged Marzocchi Z1.

Keep your Fox 36 and look at this photo for inspiration. (Thanks Littermag.com)

mtbr member
    You dont get it do you...!?

With specific frames and fork A2C ratios as well as forces applied, it is usually easy to tell which bikes have been genuinly broken by certain parts, and which have been changed post accident to Camo the damage with which the original specs and or specs that are designed for the bikes max tollerances. As well as there being a very specific proceedure to enact in order to detect such inconsistancies...so if YOU own a giant and send it in with some form of damage that was your own neglect and or stupidity, I'll make damn sure you DONT get a replacement.

That really p!sses me off when honest riders are penalized through the actions of dishonest phucktards like those who do such actions...its basically steeling, or comparative to ripping off some cool dudes bike. How would you like it if I came and stole you brand new bike with all your idiotic bling...[?], would you be happy about that...?

Quote Originally Posted by gnarboots11
    I would upgrade the fork and worry about the warranty later. If the frame breaks you can just put the old forks back on and then get it replaced.
    Last edited by Sim2u; 03-13-2009 at 01:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think it's stealing, and I don't appreciate the name calling. I also don't appreciate you threataning to steal my bike.

mtbr member
    Edit for Pauls thread.

So, before replying to a post, try to think and read what is there first and I also do not think that MTBR or any other thread would appreciate you condoning others to falsify a warrenty issue. Im sure they perhaps would not appreciate me calling you an idiot either, but hey...it needs to be said. And for that I do appologize...!
    Last edited by Sim2u; 03-13-2009 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Sorry to derail the thread here chaps , so allow me to take it back on track. For what its worth, this too is reasonable advice. I raced last year on the 36 platform with good success but its a high maintanence part which can not easily be serviced in the traditional sense of the word. And the Totem is far more suitable than the 36 in the same context as the 36.

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    QUOTE=PaulHaines]I've been using my fantastic Giant Reign X1 (with stock Fox 36 160mm fork) increasingly on DH, and have now started competing.

Anyone out there have experience or advice on this?[/QUOTE]

He'll probably kill me for this, but Krispy pretty much crushed the men's DH field at Bootleg Canyon in his class last month on his Reign X with a camouflaged Marzocchi Z1.

Keep your Fox 36 and look at this photo for inspiration. (Thanks Littermag.com)

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    What I was driving at was w/PaulHaines being a beginner racer there is no need to go out and throw down $800-$900 (or more) on a big fork for a trail bike in order to be competitive. If he really gets into DH racing he'll probably want a dedicated DH bike for that purpose. He hints at this saying he can't afford a DH bike this year.

Rather than throwing down all that $$$ to change up his Reign X, it might be better saved and spent on something else down the road once he (or any other beginner) figures out where they want to go in the sport.

Plus once he sees what Giant is going to offer for 2010 my guess is he'll wish he had that $1000 to put toward the new Glory once it's unveiled.

mtbr member
    I know that I'm going to hear it about this one but..

Sim your very opinionated and tend to belittle anyone that has another outlook on the sport that we all love. Let someone do what they wish. If he puts on a DC fork wrecks his frame and sends it to Giant its their responsibility to exercise their due diligence and investigate how the damage occured. Then if found that the claim was in contadiction of the warrenty policy. No replacement and potential of litigation. So let the gent do what he wishes. But belittling him him on this forum makes you look foolish. So please for the sake of anyone who enjoys the sport of cycling lets keep this forum positive and stop attacking each other.

mtbr member
    Ah this is very true...the Totem is a pricey fork and the 36 is more than enough for a beginner racer in that context as such. I mean I raced mine relatively well enough so as you said, I'm pretty sure Paul could aswell. Thats reasonable advice too mate, as he gets more into it he may want to get something that is specific to the DH side of the fence.

In terms of the road best taken for conservative cash placement (saving the greenback), yep for sure, keep the money in the bank and use what you have until you can get something that you know is perfect for the job and what you have now is more than enough for the job at hand at your level perhaps, so lcrockymountainrider advice is more than sound.

What level of riding are you at now Paul...?

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    What I was driving at was w/PaulHaines being a beginner racer there is no need to go out and throw down $800-$900 (or more) on a big fork for a trail bike in order to be competitive. If he really gets into DH racing he'll probably want a dedicated DH bike for that purpose. He hints at this saying he can't afford a DH bike this year.

Rather than throwing down all that $$$ to change up his Reign X, it might be better saved and spent on something else down the road once he (or any other beginner) figures out where they want to go in the sport.

Plus once he sees what Giant is going to offer for 2010 my guess is he'll wish he had that $1000 to put toward the new Glory once it's unveiled.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    For what it's worth Paul, we're incorporating a 'trail bike' class into our (Utah) State Downhill Race series this year. Without going into a ton of details, the class will limit the total amount of total travel on any given bike to around 13.5inches max. Meaning, someone on an 8in DH race bike will not be able to compete in this class and if you only have a trail bike you can still race the exact same DH courses as the big bikes. But not feel like you have a 'handicap' due to the type of bike you're using.

Reason for this is two fold: Get guys like yourself out and interested in downhill racing. There are a lot of people in the same boat as yourself who already own a decent, shorter travel bike capable of racing DH, but may feel like they can't be competitive against others on bigger bikes. Secondly, for some of us like Krispy in the photo above and myself, it's a way to have a bit more fun and make things more challenging. I already own an Iron Horse Sunday but will be using my '09 Reign X with a Fox Float 36 and dual rings to compete in DH events this year.

Use what you've got and don't worry about any perceived peer pressure to have what everyone else has. Plus, if you beat a guy on a dedicated DH race bike on your trail bike, then the win is that much sweeter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast