Thread: Reign X diet

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Reign X diet

I got a pretty good deal on a used X2 and are slowing changing out the parts. But I'd like take a little more weight off it.

It currently sits at 36ish lbs. This thing climbs like a mountain goat up the mountain! I just want a little less weight so I can throw it around a bit easier. I would love to see 33lbs without losing any strength, also the cheapest route is the only route.

I'm replacing the fork with either at Float 36 or Lyrik Air, most likely going with the 36. The 36 would drop it 1.2lbs or so.

Would a DHX coil be any lighter than the Roco?

Any other ideas to drop a bit of weight cheaply?

Size: Small
    Fork: Marzocchi 55R
    Shock: Marzocchi Rocco R
    Handlebar: Race Face Evolve AM
    Stem: Race Face Evolve AM
    Seatpost: Thomas Elite
    Saddle: some WTB
    Pedals: DMR V8
    Shifters: SRAM X.5 Trigger
    FD: XTR
    RD: X.0
    Brakes: Exilir with 8inch rotors
    Cassette: SRAM PG980
    Chain: Shimano HG-73
    Cranks and BB: XT
    Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR
    Hubs: Formula Disc w/20mm front
    Tires: Kenda Neval 2.35

Last edited by tb2007; 03-24-2009 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have an x1 that i've been doing a little pedal experimenting with and so far i've tried both azonic 420 and wellgo mg-1 and both are super light and have decent grip. the azonics are really trick in red ano and spin forever. the wellgo are just really light. nothing fancy about them other than their weight. all that being said, i just put on a set of straitlines today, so no ride report yet. they're not as light as the other two, look a touch better than the azonics, but grip better than both (with the pins only installed around the edges of the pedal, not in the central locations). i'll probably stick with these even being a little heavier. i don't know how much lighter it'll be, but i'm probably gonna order a wtb silverado saddle next. i have one on another bike and like the feel better than the stocker. good luck. hope this gives you a couple of inexpensive (compared to the fork and shock) weight saving ideas. EDIT: okay the straitline pedals officially kick a-s. best pedals ever in my opinion. i'm sure this isn't the right section for this but, almost feel clipped in. color is amazing. they've taken somewhat of a beating in the 2 days that i've "tested" them, and upon further review, they look loads better than my azonic 420's (or anything else i've come across). i'm not sweating the extra 90 or so grams when they grip this good. thanks for listening.
    Last edited by neanderthaler; 03-25-2009 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hey what about a Ti spring

anyone know the seatpost size of a Reign X?

Gotta get rid of my Race face seatpost and SDG RL bel air saddle

The thompson Elite looks good

bi-winning
    Do you need 8" rotors front and rear?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah the Roco has Ti on it already.

Chuckie:
    Seatpost is a 30.9mm

Do I really need 8inch rotors? No, I just bought the 8inch package lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are cutting weight, it's really useful to have a digital scale handy to check actual weights of all your parts..

A few suggestions:

55R - I agree the fork is important, not only can you save weight, but (AFAIK) the 55R doesn't have a great damper, so performance can improve a lot too. The Float36RC2 is a good choice, but don't count out a Lyrik air or Wotan or Nixon, in case you find a deal.

cassette - what is the weight of the SRAM 980, around 350+g?
    Most people agree that the best value in light cassettes is XT, just under 300g. Keep an eye out for a good deal on ebay or wherever.

saddle - what is the weight of your current saddle? If you look you can get them in the 200-230g range without paying a lot. My Titec Hellbent Expert is durable, comfortable enough for AM and only 220g.

Pedals - I also have Mg-1 pedals, with several seasons on them and they are still going strong, so at 380g they are great bang for the buck. Most other mag pedals are way more expensive.

tires/tubes - the 2.5 Nevegals are not exactly fast, so you might drop ~100g per tire and gain climbing speed with a different tire (Maxxis advantage, or Schwalbe Big Betty or ?).

Brakes - if you have a 6-inch rotor on hand you might save a few grams by dropping the 8-inch rear rotor. You can always change back if you miss the power.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Once I get my shock back from PUSH i will be posting an article on my reign X dh build that will be around 32lbs. I have added a few tricks to slacken and lower my X into almost the same geo. as my glory DH.

stay tuned
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the ideas guys.

I'll be waiting for your article, it sounds interesting at a 32 pound DH build!

Slower But Faster
    The obvious things that stand out for quick weight savings in the spec above is the hub/rim/tyre combo. Formula hubs are ok but weigh a ton, likewise the rims, Nevegals are a bit heavy and don't roll that well.

Something like a set of Hope Pro 2s laced to DT5.1s with a better rolling and lighter tyre (2.4 Nobby Nic is my current favourite, I like the look of the Spec Eskars too) would transform the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Bighitboy,
    I'm really curious to hear what you have done to your bike, Did you get a slacker geometry by using a longer A2C fork or did you manage to do it using a fox 36? In my case, the 160mm is plenty enough travel but I would really like to try the bike with a slacker front.

Slower But Faster
    He's running 'zocchi 55s instead of 36s so they may have a different axle to crown height, however running a shorther length eye-to-eye shock will be how he's dropped the bottom bracket height and slackened the front.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have pulled a couple tricks to change the bike up

I first added a Zocchi 66 rc2x with a 180mm of travel to slacken out the front, now I have converted it to an air fork
    Then I added a 7.5" I2I shock with a 2" stroke to drop my BB and slacken the head angleo out abit more. Will drop travel to 6"s even. I have not been able to mount and measure the shock and see what the exact geo differences are yet. Should be coming from push this week.

The rest of my parts spec is border the edge of all mtn but still pretty tough. Wheels are a big saver, i run DT swiss 240 front 440 rear on revolution spokes with D5.1 rims with al nipples. Very light and quite tough.

I will post my full spec with the pics when I get it finished up. Im shooting for 32-33lbs!

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    I have pulled a couple tricks to change the bike up

I first added a Zocchi 66 rc2x with a 180mm of travel to slacken out the front, now I have converted it to an air fork
    Then I added a 7.5" I2I shock with a 2" stroke to drop my BB and slacken the head angleo out abit more. Will drop travel to 6"s even. I have not been able to mount and measure the shock and see what the exact geo differences are yet. Should be coming from push this week.
    What year 66 have you got? I've got some 2007 (last year they made them in italy) 66's with 180mm travel kicking around still, thought about sticking them on my Reign X to raise the front end a touch, but they're only 5mm taller a/c height than my Fox 36's are! Yes I was surprised too. That and the fact they weigh a lot more, even though these are the SL ATA air sprung version, means I decided I'd be better off sticking with the 36's.

You're fitting a 190mm shock on it? BB height on the Reign X is already pretty damned low, a 10mm shorter stroke shock will lower the BB height by 30mm static!

Regarding weight saving for the featured bike, there's not a huge amount to be done without spending drastic amounts of money (new Fox 36 for instance, or lighter wheels). Perhaps try ghetto tubeless (though it will barely save any weight, it'll at least stop punctures), a lighter saddle, lighter pedals, maybe some slightly lighter tyres (if you can find any of a decent size still grippy enough). On the wheel front, those WTB rims aren't actually THAT heavy, about 580g each iirc. Similar weight to a Mavic EX721 anyway. In my opinion, you wouldn't want to be using much lighter rims on a bike like the Reign X, otherwise you're not riding it to its fullest potential really!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    it is a 2007 66. The A2C must be quite abit taller than the fox 36. It has 20mm more travel and the crown is quite tall. I dont know the exact number but it feels alot taller than a fox 36. Combined with a taller fork and a shorter shock my BB height shouldnt be super low, I am figuring around 13.25, I will def have to watch my pedals when using some suspension.

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy
    it is a 2007 66. The A2C must be quite abit taller than the fox 36. It has 20mm more travel and the crown is quite tall. I dont know the exact number but it feels alot taller than a fox 36. Combined with a taller fork and a shorter shock my BB height shouldnt be super low, I am figuring around 13.25, I will def have to watch my pedals when using some suspension.
    Not what my tape measure told me. I measured them both (3 times to make sure I wasn't making a mistake!), 07 66 was only 5mm taller at 180mm of travel than the 36 at 160mm of travel. The 36 was 555mm iirc, and the 66 was 560mm. I know that the 36's are 10mm taller than a Rockshox Lyrik (545mm a/c) for instance, so whilst I was a bit surprised at what I found, it's totally plausible. The 07 66 did not have a tall crown after all (VERY flat compared to say 05 66's) and Marzocchi did their level best to make it as short as possible for its given travel.

BB height on my Reign X with standard shock and 36's on it, with 2.35" tyres, is 13.75". I suspect with similar tyres to mine, you will be looking at a BB height of 12.75-13" static, even taking into account the slightly taller 66's. Good luck, but personally I think that would be too low for me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i already beat my crank arms and straitline pedals to death with the low bb height. no way i'd ever go lower myself.

jones'in
    Get rid of the DRS and put a Blackspire Stinger on. That'll save a fair amount of weight too.

I'm in the process of lightening up my '07 X1 and the stinger is one of the things I'm swapping out. I'm ditching the stock cranks too, and replacing them w/ SLX.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    my dt swiss ex1750 wheelset will be here tomorrow. never did find out the weight of the stock x1 wheelset, so i don't know if i'll be lightening up there or not, but i imagine they're better rims and hubs anyway.