mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Reign X Correct Geometry

I have heard a lot of complaints about Giant's stated geometry not being accurate. Which is a load of crap because obviously the geometry chart that a company posts in their catalog is what we use to determine what we are interested in purchasing whether it be between frame size or between different brands.

So, can we get some real numbers please? If you own a Reign X, or any other Giant bike that this is an issue on, could you post the frame size and whatever lengths or angles you can measure for us?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Honestly I think this is a bit blown out of proportion by many on here.

My 2007 X0 is basically the dimensions stated except for one dimension: seat tube length. It's ~17" in reality and they call it an 18" frame size. It would be nice if they would put a separate column on the chart with actual seat tube length, but not a real biggie, IMHO.

I actually think that what they are doing makes some sense. If I'm buying a XC frame, I would buy an 18", so they give it that size so when someone walks into a shop looking for a frame they simply always buy the same frame size from Giant. 18" XC, FR, DH, doesn't matter. This way each design automatically gives the rider the feel the designers were trying to achieve without the buyer having to guess at the frame size. In this case, a more freeride and flickable bike.

The only real issue comes in when you are at the very high end of a frame fit. Then if you don't want to, or can't, upsize, you may need a very long seatpost, more setback, longer stem, etc. to get a reasonable fit. It may not be possible if they just didn't build a large enough frame. If you're that big I'm sure you deal with these issues in other products too.

Also, all frames from pretty much every manufacturer are being made in metric dimensions so none of them are really 18" cause that would be 457.2mm, and I bet they would use a more round number like 450 or 460mm I even wonder if the 18" thing is something thrown on by Giant USA, not Giant Intl.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can you be more specific about what frame size and what dimensions you are looking for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Can you be more specific about what frame size and what dimensions you are looking for?
    Sure. I am 5' 11" which is tough because that puts me between a medium and a large for most brands.

My ideal measurements would be:
    -22.5 c-c top tube with an effective top tube of around 23.5ish w/o a layback post.
    -The 17 vs 18in seat tube is unimportant, though I do feel it should be accuratly reported.
    -Everything else on the bike sounds fantastic.

For comparison my last bike was a medium IH 7point7 which was to short in the top tube with a claimed effective top tube length of 23" however that includes a 1" layback post.. which their spec sheet didnt indicate which is how I managed to get a poorly fitting frame.

As long as the stated geometry for the effective top tube is correct and that it does not factor the layback post in that number I think that the medium frame could work very well with the addition of a layback post. This issue was discussed a few times in other Reign X threads and it was brought up that the top tube lengths were shorter than advertised (22.75 effective was what one person posted.) I am willing to consider the 20 in (gasp!) frame if I have to and if it really is actually a 19" it would just get a straight post.

The obvious answer here is that I need to find the bikes at a shop to throw a leg over 'em, but I would like to get an idea of what I want before I start looking outside of the local shops to see who actually has one in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, my Med/18" ReignX has an eff TT of 22.75-23" (can't be more accurate just eyeballing it). Likely the 20" is very close to 23.5".

I'm 5,8 and swapped the 65mm stem for a 50mm, so you can fine tune with the stem as well as seatpost. I swapped to a straight seatpost also, which for me really improves climbing, it helps weight the front wheel.

Either the 18" or 20" *could* work for you, but like you said, since you are between sizes, if at all possible it's best to ride both and see which feels best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i'm 5'11" and change and picked the medium 18" reign x0. felt better to me.
    *2009 Canfield F1 Jedi
    *2008 Superco Charger
    *2008 Giant ReignX-0

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by jutny
    i'm 5'11" and change and picked the medium 18" reign x0. felt better to me.
    Same here, I'm 5'11" and I've riding a medium X1 for over a year now. Perfect size for me.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the input! For my own curiosity would you mind taking a tape measure to your frame and posting up some numbers? (c-c tt, eff tt, st)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am 6 ft and the medium is almost a bit big

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

so what should be the size for...

5'5 with inseam of 27.9" ?
    it's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Is the L really a 19 inch then??

I have been looking at a Reign X1 for quite some time. I am 6 ft tall, but am weary about buying a large bike as my hardtail for the past 4 years is an 18 in.

My LBS techs all think I"d be crazy getting on a M. Yet in my opinion, I only would have to put the seat another 1 inch higher than someone 5-10 or 5-11. And I'm not talking about stretching the seat to the max height. Just another 1 inch or so.

I have this size problem with many products, being 6 ft, only 155 lbs. I really yearn for the more flickable bike, but will definitely be climbing hills on this bike.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    I am 6ft. Really long legs -> mucho seatpost extension.

I am on a Medium Reign X and I use a Titec telescopic post.
    Itīs really perfect !

Iīd absolutely NOT get an large, my lbs guys shake their heads aswell, but theyīre all XC weenies and tend to run bigger frames.

I do a lot of climbing, actually I never shuttled the bike or went to a park. I basically ride up and then down...

Iīll take a picture of my bike...

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your HT seat tube length may not mean anything compared to the Reign X. What is the TT length? As I mentioned, the 18" has a TTT just under 23", which to me seems short for a 6 footer, but if you like that and go with the 18, you might need to buy a 400mm seatpost to get full leg extension for the climbs. (I think my med. came with a 350mm seatpost).

mtbr member
    Well itīs wierd.
    My Medium has definitely NOT a 23" top tube (effective top tube, measured from the seatpost horizontally to the middle of the headset)
    Itīs way shorter, at least thatīs what I measured. maybe 22.3" or whatever

I donīt want to be rude, Giant USA even posts those numbers, Giant Germany says 567mm

Itīs reaaaaaaally strange. Only thing I know, I like it a lot. Feels less cramped than my Medium 2003 Heckler. (which I loved as well btw.)

I think that for someone 6` the Medium feels great. The large one would be quite stretched for my taste, if you want that feeling, you should probably look at a Trance or something, the Reign X is a good allrounder but by no means a XC-bike.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think that for someone 6` the Medium feels great. The large one would be quite stretched for my taste, if you want that feeling, you should probably look at a Trance or something, the Reign X is a good allrounder but by no means a XC-bike.

If I were getting a downhill bike, say the glory, for example, I don't think I would think twice about getting on a medium for this very reason. Yet, by all means, i will be doing some XC things on this X1. But by no means am I considering a bike others that the X1. I've looked at some other reigns (1, 2, x2) and I'm pretty stoked on the X1. So I'll go hit up the bike shop and do a long test ride on the Medium, see how it feels.

Thanks

(ps... anyone else in the market for a reign X having a lot of trouble finding them? They're almost sold out in the stores I've looked at here in CO so I gotta make a choice now_ the reign x2 is on sale for 1500, i think that sounds great!)