Doesnt ride Banshees

Reign X coil users, what spring weight?

I'm putting a coil shock on my Reign X. I'm 165lbs. I'm curious what those of you are running who are close my weight, and what percentage of sag your getting. I would appreciate any responses, since I couldnt find anything definative on the giant website.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm not quite as light as you, but I can say this:

I'm 180lbs, and about 3X my weight got me a good spring weight (550lb). ~35% sag with no preload, and down to the 20-25% range with a few turns.

also worked for a heavier friend who went 600lb spring for 200lb weight.

I'd say a 500lb would be about right for you, but I'll leave that open to anyone who is actually your weight.

Engineer The Future Now!
    My 08 came stock w/ a 500# spring but for my 220# ass it was pretty soft. I have a 700# spring on there now and it feels alot better. Now I need to change out the fork spring. From what I've read, 30% sag is recommended for this bike. If all else fails, call Fox and ask them.
    holy...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm on an 08 X1 and weigh ~175. Have a 500# on now, feels pretty good, but haven't been bottoming it, so I may go down to a 450#. I definatly prefer a softer, more downhill feel. Sag seems about 35%. Here a good spring calculator- notice the suspension design choices- nice! http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm 160lbs before gear and camelback and run a 450# spring. It feels perfect.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    I'm 160lbs before gear and camelback and run a 450# spring. It feels perfect.
    Just what I wanted to hear. I ordered a 450 yesterday. For those of you who care, the Vivid 5.1 rear shocks in 7.875x2.25 are now available thru BTI distributors via your local bike shop. I just ordered one for my Reign X. Finally, my bike will be Shimano AND Fox free

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This may come in useful for those wanting to work out the correct spring for their bike...

http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html

Just did the quick calcs (i'm about 165lb too and have a Reign X, though currently still with DHX Air) and it works out at 486lb as ideal. So a 450 will be a little soft, but if you can add a touch more compression damping, it'll be ideal. Obviously a 500 would be a touch firmer!

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy1980
    This may come in useful for those wanting to work out the correct spring for their bike...

http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area...alculator.html

Just did the quick calcs (i'm about 165lb too and have a Reign X, though currently still with DHX Air) and it works out at 486lb as ideal. So a 450 will be a little soft, but if you can add a touch more compression damping, it'll be ideal. Obviously a 500 would be a touch firmer!
    I think your reading 486lbs because your looking at the 4-Bar/VPP recommendations. Maestro is similar to the DW Link in regards to how the links rotate and the axle path it follows (Maestro is alittle more vertical though). In which case, the correct springrate would be 447.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    can anyone confirm if a Medium Reign X (09) comes standard with a 500lbs spring?

is the shock length 2.25??

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie
    can anyone confirm if a Medium Reign X (09) comes standard with a 500lbs spring?

is the shock length 2.25??
    Chuckie - I can't say for sure about the 09, but the Medium 08 I bought came with a 500lbs spring as stock, shock length 2.25.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I'm putting a coil shock on my Reign X. I'm 165lbs. I'm curious what those of you are running who are close my weight, and what percentage of sag your getting. I would appreciate any responses, since I couldnt find anything definative on the giant website.
    hi,
    calculate the shock spring weight with this calculator here:
    The Fakulator

hope it helps
    ((((((((( FAKAWI )))))))))))

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just what I wanted to hear. I ordered a 450 yesterday. For those of you who care, the Vivid 5.1 rear shocks in 7.875x2.25 are now available thru BTI distributors via your local bike shop. I just ordered one for my Reign X. Finally, my bike will be Shimano AND Fox free
    I care! I've got a Banshee Rune and have been waiting for RS to release the 7.875 x 2.25 version of the Vivid! Have you actually received the shock yet as I noticed that the Rockshox website does not list this size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm currently 180 before gear. 550 would be perfect, but I'm just going to drop 10 lbs so the 500 works well again.

Thunderbringer
    Mar 2008
    Banshee - what do you like better about the Vivid, or what don't you like about the fox?

I have a dhx 3.0 and im considering swapping to something lighter and more climb-friendly like a dhx air.