mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Reign X Chain Guide Replacements

Hey all,

(apologies if this has been posted before; but a few searches yielded limited results)

I have a 2010 Reign X1 and I've demolished the Race Face Atlas chain guide - specifically speaking the lower bracket that holds the roller - its completely snapped off.

In searching for a replacement, lots of searching over the last two days tells me that I can't get a replacement bracket (which seems unbelievably idiotic as it's a 2-part guide), and lots of options for "2-ring chain guides" appear as if their upper guides will interfere with my front derailleur :\

Have any of you tried, say, this MRP offering: MRP LRP Chain Guide > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Tensioners and Guides | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop on your 2010 Reign X's?

I'd rather not spend the $120, but I need a chain guide, and that one is the only one I can find that MIGHT work... any suggestions/experiences will be truly appreciated.

cheers.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    We make a special version of the 2x guide to work on the Reign X (same as OE guide on the 2013 models). I think we have limited inventory here - give us a ring. Depending on your crankset and chainring combo, this could be an option for you.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Noah,

I've managed to locally source a Blackspire stinger unit which I think was the lowest cost option, however It sounds like I might need to find some BB spacers to replace the gap left behind by the OEM Race Face unit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    We make a special version of the 2x guide to work on the Reign X (same as OE guide on the 2013 models). I think we have limited inventory here - give us a ring. Depending on your crankset and chainring combo, this could be an option for you.
    Is it different than the normal 2x chain guide you sell?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hetfield99 View Post
    Is it different than the normal 2x chain guide you sell?
    Yes.

NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks, Noah. I would have bought one of the wrong ones! I have a 2013 Reign X frame. So much to learn!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Noah, do you have a Giant 2x chain guide that would work with 39-42 teeth?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by hetfield99 View Post
    Noah, do you have a Giant 2x chain guide that would work with 39-42 teeth?
    Negative.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I shouldda called you, Noah. Can you PM me a price on that unit?

***Update***
    The Blackspire Stinger ISCG Guide will NOT fir the 2010 Reign X's - not enough clearance for a two-ring setup.

Here's what happened to my OEM Race Face Atlas Guide (which was awesome, btw):
    Lost the roller, too

I replaced the sandwiched unit with a 2.5mm BB spacer, and fitted the Blackspire Stinger - just by measuring the setup, I had a feeling there'd be interference...and assembly confirmed those thoughts. Hard to tell from the pics, but the bish won't even crank.

Wouldda looked great:

Anyway, then I got a new idear.... to put the Blackspire roller on the Raceface bracket:

But since the slot in the bracket is busted, I'm going to explore the option of making a new one myself. Depending on the cost of it, and the lead time, I might go for it, or let NoahColorado hook me up. we'll see.

If I get a design done this weekend, I'll update this thread, and perhaps get 5 made... if anyone's interested, let me know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So I heard that most chain guides will not work with the 2011 Giant Reign X ISCG 05 mounts because the threaded holes are "clocked" in a strange fashion, true? Can somebody please recommend a single ring, chain guide bash guard for me. I wanted to put on an ISCG E13 LG1 or Truvative XO or Blackspire DER Chainguide. Of those three options I think only the Truvative XO comes in a bottom bracket mount which I know will work because my bike currently has a MRP Lopes minimalist single ring guide with bottom bracket mount. However with the taco bashguard I wanted to keep forces off of the bottom bracket and would rather use the ISCG tabs... Any suggestions?! Thanks.