Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reign X Broken Suspension

863 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  317000 
#1 ·
Went over a 10 foot table top the other day and hit the back wheel pretty hard. Got a pinch flat but the worst was that the suspension bottomed out hard and the bolt on top of the shock broke.

Apparently the bottom out canister only had 90 psi. I just got the bike a couple of months ago so I don't think they pumped it up enough. Local bike shop repaired the damage through Giant but they replaced both of the top 'arms' with the reign 6.0 travel version. These are the black metal pieces that come off the top of the shock, bolt to the frame and the rear triangle.

They are noticeably different and look somewhat thinner but there is a connecting piece that seems like it would add more stability.

Is it dangerous to ride as is? Should I have them reorder the parts? They knew it was a reign x and not a reign so maybe Giant just sent the other parts? I'm trying to avoid dealing with the bike shop because they are slow and not very helpful.

#2 ·
Get the right parts. Seriously.

If a gauge read 90psi, then you likely had around 120 or 130 in it. The air chamber is of such a low volume that just by connecting a pump or gauge, you lose a significant amount of pressure just by filling the internals of the pump or gauge.

#3 ·
You can't ever trust that a shock will hold air perfectly over a couple months. You should be checking that regularly and also what dowst said about pressure is spot on.

Also, it's not just a bottom out canister, that pressure adjusts the behavior of the shock through it's entire range. More makes the shock have more damping, less is less. You should play with this and see how it effects the suspension.

All said, I would have them get the exact same parts. You are probably fine to ride what they installed, but if I bought a Reign X, I would expect to have a complete Reign X frame after any warranty work. If you can, find another Giant shop in the area or call direct, but they will likely make you work through a dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.