Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reign vs. Trance

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  danmtchl 
#1 ·
I haven't found the two in stock to test ride yet, but looking for some insight on the two compared to each other. I realize the Trance is more of an XC bike and the Reign is more of an aggressive trail/light freeride bike.

I am really leaning toward the Trance right now, I am reconsidering my initial thoughts of a Spec Stumpy 120 FSR, but then I am wondering if the Reign would be more fun. I think 6" is more then I need, but then again I don't race at all and am rough on my equipment. I guess what it comes down to is how well does the Reign climb?

Around here you get 45-60 minutes of climbing then about 30 min of descending nice singletrack, some what techy, not many drops, and a bit of rocky sections.

Can anybody here give me a comparison of the Maestro vs. FSR from their riding experience (obviously minimal due to fairly new design)?

#2 ·
diiulio said:
I haven't found the two in stock to test ride yet, but looking for some insight on the two compared to each other. I realize the Trance is more of an XC bike and the Reign is more of an aggressive trail/light freeride bike.

I am really leaning toward the Trance right now, I am reconsidering my initial thoughts of a Spec Stumpy 120 FSR, but then I am wondering if the Reign would be more fun. I think 6" is more then I need, but then again I don't race at all and am rough on my equipment. I guess what it comes down to is how well does the Reign climb?

Around here you get 45-60 minutes of climbing then about 30 min of descending nice singletrack, some what techy, not many drops, and a bit of rocky sections.

Can anybody here give me a comparison of the Maestro vs. FSR from their riding experience (obviously minimal due to fairly new design)?
We have a Reign 3 and a Trance 4 & 3, the Reign feel has more of a plush ride than the Trance. I'm not saying the Trance is not plush but the Reign is just seems to be a little more. I have no experience on the Stumpjumper so I cannot give a comparison.

#3 ·
Between the Reign and the Trance I figured the Reign would be more plush, but did you get a chance to really ride either? I am looking for how well the Reign climbs and if more is really better (travel wise).

I think the Trance is enough, but I don't want to disregard the Reign because it has 6" of travel if the travel is very efficient and I'll use it.

#4 ·
diiulio said:
Between the Reign and the Trance I figured the Reign would be more plush, but did you get a chance to really ride either? I am looking for how well the Reign climbs and if more is really better (travel wise).

I think the Trance is enough, but I don't want to disregard the Reign because it has 6" of travel if the travel is very efficient and I'll use it.
I have ridden every model we have in stock and I am building a Trance 1 frameset up today(My personal bike). I have not ridden them offroad yet, just the old parking lot test just to make sure it runs correctly. Either way I don't think you'll go wrong.

#8 ·
undead said:
what components did you build up with?[/QU

Here are the parts on the bike

05 Trance Frame 18
05 Reba Race
00 Crossmax Disc
2.1 Weirwolf Race tires
XTR front derailleur ( getting the Sram X-gen soon)
XO Rear derailleur/shiftters
Raceface Next Lp isis w/ Signature FR bb
Thomson post
Flite TT saddle
XT 4 piston disc brakes
Time Atac Carbon pedals (new ones)
Sram Cassette 990
Sram PC-89r chain
FSA OS-115 stem
Aerus Composite Riser bars
Metawire cables

She weigh's 26.6 pounds with the pedals. The frame weighed 6.4 lbs if you wanted to know
I built it using parts that are light as well as durable and reliable.

#10 ·
danmtchl said:
undead said:
what components did you build up with?[/QU

05 Trance Frame 18
05 Reba Race
00 Crossmax Disc
2.1 Weirwolf Race tires
Thomson post
Flite TT saddle
XT 4 piston disc brakes
Sram Cassette 990
Sram PC-89r chain
FSA OS-115 stem
Metawire cables

She weigh's 26.6 pounds with the pedals. The frame weighed 6.4 lbs if you wanted to know
Thanks danmtchl!

Good to know it will build up somewhat lightweight.

#11 ·
danmtchl said:

05 Trance Frame 18
05 Reba Race
00 Crossmax Disc
2.1 Weirwolf Race tires
Thomson post
Flite TT saddle
XT 4 piston disc brakes
Sram Cassette 990
Sram PC-89r chain
FSA OS-115 stem
Metawire cables

Do you know what the approximate cost would be to build a Trance this light from scratch (if you had to buy all the parts today)?

#12 ·
Mike Young said:
Do you know what the approximate cost would be to build a Trance this light from scratch (if you had to buy all the parts today)?
It would be cheaper to buy the Trance 1 bike than to build it the way I did. I had all the existing parts. You would still have to buy pedals on top of the $3500.00 price tag. I figured it would run $4300.00 if you pieced it together. I also figured in the price of a new set of Crossmax SL's, since mine are 2000 models. It would be around the same weight anyway's so I would go with the complete bike, it would save alot time and hassle trying to get all the parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.