mtbr member
    May 2005

reign vs. el chamuco

i posted in the ventana forum, now i'm asking the giant guys (and gals) to see if anyone wants to defend my reign frame. i also wanna add that ride pretty much in marin county, so if anyone is familiar with the trails around here and can comment on how these bikes would perform on local trails, please do!...

i currently have a 2005 giant reign frame sitting around waiting to get built. i noticed that cambria bike is selling ventana el chamuco frames for around $900, and they have a size small! i've always liked ventana's, at one time i was considering a pantera, but the el chamuco is very desirable. and the price makes it REALLY tempting. but i've never seen or ridden one before. is the reign going to obliterate it on the climbs? is the ventana gonna blow away the reign on descents and technical terrain. i would spec either with a pike air, and rp3 (maybe dhx air for the el chamuco) and plan to send both to PUSH for mods.

any input? anyone ridden both? also, my reign is a 16" so how does that compare to the small chamuco? i've taken a look at the geometry specs but sometimes numbers lie. it's hard to find much feedback on the ventana, so your input is really helpful to me. thanks
    Last edited by gukachu; 02-06-2006 at 02:36 AM.