Thread: Reign sizing

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Reign sizing

Hi,

I'm going to order a Reign and was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with sizing. Unfortunately they don't have one at the bike shop for me to sit on and get a feel for. I'm about 5'11 and weigh around 77kg. Do you think a 16" frame would be best? I don't want the top tube to be too long, XC style. I remember thinking that the 18" Giant AC I rode once seemed too big and not manueverable enough. Anyone around my size/weight riding a 16"?

Thanks!

In exile
    I'm just around 5'11" (I thought I was 6', but appear to have shrunk ) and I am riding a 20" 06 frame. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the 18" for a trail bike. The frame weighs 8.2 lbs, so for XC, you may want to keep looking. The top tube numbers on Giant's spec sheet are spot on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I'm just around 5'11" (I thought I was 6', but appear to have shrunk ) and I am riding a 20" 06 frame. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the 18" for a trail bike. The frame weighs 8.2 lbs, so for XC, you may want to keep looking. The top tube numbers on Giant's spec sheet are spot on.

Thanks for your feedback, Loco. I was thinking the 18" too but maybe the 16" is would handle better on the trails? Does anyone ride a 16" frame who is around my height?

Thanks again!

Actually I just checked and I'm actually just under 5'10" so I must be shrinking too! So I guess I should be asking if anyone is riding a 16"/18" inch frame who is around 5'9-10"?

Cheers!

In exile
    I like a longer TT, but the 18" honestly felt cramped. It has a 90mm stem on it and a kind of offset post, so even riding one won't give you the perfect fit. I am riding a 20" with a 70mm stem and a Thomson 0 setback post and dig it. I kind of even wish I had an 80mm stem, but don't want much more than that, and they are hard to find in 31.8s, so I am sticking with this. I really think the 18" will do it. The 16" will be way too small, IMO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    16 would be way to small IMO.Im a little under 5'11',also apparently shrinking,and ride the 06 R2 20" bike and it fits me fine.Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my 18.5 VT,felt to cramped,other than that the bike was good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    16 would be way to small IMO.Im a little under 5'11',also apparently shrinking,and ride the 06 R2 20" bike and it fits me fine.Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my 18.5 VT,felt to cramped,other than that the bike was good.
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I live in Taiwan, where the only sizes you can get for Reigns are 15" or 16". Not sure if 16" is 'S' or 'M'?

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow
    Thanks for your feedback guys. I live in Taiwan, where the only sizes you can get for Reigns are 15" or 16". Not sure if 16" is 'S' or 'M'?
    15" Reign? Look again... 16=small, 18=med, 20=large

ups and downs
    The Giant website lists available frame sizes for the Reign as

size: 15", 16", 18", 20", 21"

One of my riding buddies who rides a Reign 2 is about 5'-8" or 5'-9" and the 16" fits him well. If you're 5'-11", unless you have a short torso or short arms, the 16" frame is likely going to be very short feeling, or you'll need a long stem and a seat post with a lot of layback to fit. The frame's horizontal top tube length on the 2005 16" frame is actually shorter than the 22.4" spec by almost 0.4". Don't know how the '06 compares to the written specs.