mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Reign with shorter Shock

I am planing to put on a set of 650b wheels on my 2011 reign, which will raise the BB height about 0.75" .......is it to possible to use a shorter shock on Reign?? Stock one is 200x51mm , is it possible for 190x51? will the rear triangle smash the seat tube when bottom out? if it is possible, the BB height will be lower a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drummercat View Post
    I am planing to put on a set of 650b wheels on my 2011 reign, which will raise the BB height about 0.75" .......is it to possible to use a shorter shock on Reign?? Stock one is 200x51mm , is it possible for 190x51? will the rear triangle smash the seat tube when bottom out? if it is possible, the BB height will be lower a lot.

Will 650b even fit back there? I have a 2.35 tioga psycho genius on a fulcrum red metal 3 and there isn't much room to spare in the rear triangle. I would imagine a shorter shock would only cause problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am still waiting my 650b wheels arrive. will let you know the result.
    I tried to release all air from my shock and compress it today, seems the minimum i2i when fully compressed is 145mm, a stock shock is 200x51, when it eats up all stroke the i2i is 200-51=149, so it`s safe. so I would say no go for a 10mm shorter shock, (190x50, 190-50 = 140........)

Quote Originally Posted by barbakos View Post
    Will 650b even fit back there? I have a 2.35 tioga psycho genius on a fulcrum red metal 3 and there isn't much room to spare in the rear triangle. I would imagine a shorter shock would only cause problems.