Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Reign Shock guard

Finally got the carbon shock guard in.Just letting you guys know they are available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    how much?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    $40 but I think it should be free,whatever.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

They are free!!!

Giant is sending them out to lbs to install on the new 06 models for free. That is what my lbs said when I asked how much for the guard.

In exile
    Can you post a pic of the under side??? I need to call the shop. Supposedly they back ordered one for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I thought they should be free,actually should have been on the bike since new.Definetly going to damage the shock without it,but no big deal,glad I got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Will this fit on an 05 reign frame. I have an 06 Australian spec reign which is just the 05 US reign but differnet paint job and a few better parts. Do you know if I can get it here in Australia at the LBS or will I have to get from the US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The H
    Will this fit on an 05 reign frame. I have an 06 Australian spec reign which is just the 05 US reign but differnet paint job and a few better parts. Do you know if I can get it here in Australia at the LBS or will I have to get from the US.
    I dont think it will fit the 05 frame,its molded to fit the curve of the 06 with the dropped through shock.The 05 doesnt seem like it would need it as bad anyway.It is a "Giant" after market part so I would think your LBS could get it if they sell Giants,shouldnt be a problem,they like Austrailian money too. Have a good weekend TK

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Why not the new 06 redesigned Maestro frame?

Man, you Australians always seem to get the leftovers. Why would Giant not sell the new 06 redesigned Maestro frames in your country? If I lived there I would be pissed as hell. I think it's so unfair.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberman
    Man, you Australians always seem to get the leftovers. Why would Giant not sell the new 06 redesigned Maestro frames in your country? If I lived there I would be pissed as hell. I think it's so unfair.
    Eh? Was actually glad to find the 06 Aust spec still had the orig front triangle. The bike is slack enough for my sort of riding, and can be a handful in tight single track as it is with it's long stays and long wheelbase. If I want for more rake, a longer fork will do that easily.
    I still think the 06 US spec frame looks like an accident waiting to happen...

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Now why would you say that? Is there an issue with the new design?

May contain nuts
    Now why would you say that? Is there an issue with the new design?
    Nah, it's how much more exposed the shock is in the new front triangle...

Kinda odd when the orig design hasn't had any issues... and the new design doesn't address the main flaw they both have which limits the choice of shock which can be fitted to one or two brands of air shock without remote reservoirs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

05 guard

Quote Originally Posted by The H
    The H, I also have a 05 reign and have made my own guard. I can sell you one for $30 Aus including postage to anywhere in Australia. Or $25 pickup if you live in Melbourne. below is a photo of the guard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah sometimes we do get the arse end of the deal. I did like the look of the 06 frame but was worried about the shock area but was thinking of waiting until that shape came out here. I liked the US parts spec race face, fox rp3 etc but couldnt wait and it may be different anyway. The price rise was what helped me go get it straight away no regrets.

I have some hard poly that I appropriated from work which is good for the guard now, I just like OEM parts and the carbon look. I am just waiting now for my new parts. (thomson stem and seatpost, 8" disk and 2.35 nevegal for the front, ODI Rogue grips)

I do like the look of the checked plate guard!

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    I just picked up the Trance 1 with Trance 2 parts. Did'nt like the color of the Trance 2 (burnt orange) so the owner of my lbs traded frames to make the sale with me. I love the white with all the black parts. I'll post some pics later.
    What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just picked up the Trance 1 with Trance 2 parts. Did'nt like the color of the Trance 2 (burnt orange) so the owner of my lbs traded frames to make the sale with me. I love the white with all the black parts. I'll post some pics later.
    What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?
    It just protects the shock shaft from debris and scratching,rode a while without it and didnt have any problems,but can see how the shaft could easily get scratched.Not good with air shocks

May contain nuts
    ...What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?
    Look back at the shock from the lowest point of view at the front wheel. You'll see plenty of exposed shock shaft, even on the orig Trance frame. Guess where stones are gonna hit first...

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I know about the exposed shock shaft. Giant is sending out the carbon shock cover free to lbs. If anyone is being charged for this then they are being ripped off. Here are a few pics of the area. Can you say Holy Crap Batman. WTF were they thinking. Same thing on the specs Stumpjumpers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is this really a big problem with the Stumpjumpers too, except with the rear wheel blasting the shock. The fsr has been in production many years so I can't imagine it to be too bad.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by fillmore
    Is this really a big problem with the Stumpjumpers too, except with the rear wheel blasting the shock. The fsr has been in production many years so I can't imagine it to be too bad.
    Sure the FSR shock isn't in a very hygenic position either, but it's worse directly off the front wheel. On the FSR the tread has to carry the stone 3/4 rotation and then fling it forward... Look at a well used frame, the biggest dings are on the lower section of the downtube.

G should have factory fitted plates for the 06, and 05 frames...

I know about the exposed shock shaft. Giant is sending out the carbon shock cover free to lbs. If anyone is being charged for this then they are being ripped off.
    Giant USA is not providing "Free" shock covers for Trance or Reign bikes. The shock cover is an aftermarket item. Any bikes in the future that come with the shock cover are due to a running change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Guards are not free

As others have noted, my LBS confirms that the shock will not be free to 06 owners. My LBS was quoted $65 as the price from Giant. I will pass; I may try the Lizard boot for the shock (have it, but have not installed it). I have had the bike ~2 months, and the shock is actually staying fairly clean.

My LBS said they might be able to swipe a guard for my 06 Reign 1 if the new models come with them.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    That's bad news I was told it would be free from Giant. I hope my lbs will honor what he said. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here are a few pics of the area. Can you say Holy Crap Batman. WTF were they thinking.

Yikes! Thanks for posting the excellent pics Uberman. I'm shopping for a full susp. (I can't take the pounding of hardtails offroad any more) and the Trance/Reign bikes were on my short list. I rejected the Stumpy because I thought the shock column was too exposed to dirt (which in my opinion is the biggest threat to shock life) but it's well protected compared to this.

I guess the easy access to the o-ring would ease setup, but I don't think the shock will last with this exposure.

I wonder how well the mudguard will hold up to log crossings and similar abuse. Bet this design will be discarded next year, if not before.

I'm gonna look elsewhere.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister

I guess the easy access to the o-ring would ease setup, but I don't think the shock will last with this exposure.

I wonder how well the mudguard will hold up to log crossings and similar abuse. Bet this design will be discarded next year, if not before.

I'm gonna look elsewhere.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Giant changed the frame again. You bring up another good point about the mud guard. I hope it will last. I still beleive the Trance is the perfect bike for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast