Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Reign Shock guard

Finally got the carbon shock guard in.Just letting you guys know they are available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    how much?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    $40 but I think it should be free,whatever.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

They are free!!!

Giant is sending them out to lbs to install on the new 06 models for free. That is what my lbs said when I asked how much for the guard.

In exile
    Can you post a pic of the under side??? I need to call the shop. Supposedly they back ordered one for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I thought they should be free,actually should have been on the bike since new.Definetly going to damage the shock without it,but no big deal,glad I got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Will this fit on an 05 reign frame. I have an 06 Australian spec reign which is just the 05 US reign but differnet paint job and a few better parts. Do you know if I can get it here in Australia at the LBS or will I have to get from the US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The H
    Will this fit on an 05 reign frame. I have an 06 Australian spec reign which is just the 05 US reign but differnet paint job and a few better parts. Do you know if I can get it here in Australia at the LBS or will I have to get from the US.
    I dont think it will fit the 05 frame,its molded to fit the curve of the 06 with the dropped through shock.The 05 doesnt seem like it would need it as bad anyway.It is a "Giant" after market part so I would think your LBS could get it if they sell Giants,shouldnt be a problem,they like Austrailian money too. Have a good weekend TK

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Why not the new 06 redesigned Maestro frame?

Man, you Australians always seem to get the leftovers. Why would Giant not sell the new 06 redesigned Maestro frames in your country? If I lived there I would be pissed as hell. I think it's so unfair.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uberman
    Man, you Australians always seem to get the leftovers. Why would Giant not sell the new 06 redesigned Maestro frames in your country? If I lived there I would be pissed as hell. I think it's so unfair.
    Eh? Was actually glad to find the 06 Aust spec still had the orig front triangle. The bike is slack enough for my sort of riding, and can be a handful in tight single track as it is with it's long stays and long wheelbase. If I want for more rake, a longer fork will do that easily.
    I still think the 06 US spec frame looks like an accident waiting to happen...

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Now why would you say that? Is there an issue with the new design?

May contain nuts
    Now why would you say that? Is there an issue with the new design?
    Nah, it's how much more exposed the shock is in the new front triangle...

Kinda odd when the orig design hasn't had any issues... and the new design doesn't address the main flaw they both have which limits the choice of shock which can be fitted to one or two brands of air shock without remote reservoirs...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

05 guard

Quote Originally Posted by The H
    The H, I also have a 05 reign and have made my own guard. I can sell you one for $30 Aus including postage to anywhere in Australia. Or $25 pickup if you live in Melbourne. below is a photo of the guard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah sometimes we do get the arse end of the deal. I did like the look of the 06 frame but was worried about the shock area but was thinking of waiting until that shape came out here. I liked the US parts spec race face, fox rp3 etc but couldnt wait and it may be different anyway. The price rise was what helped me go get it straight away no regrets.

I have some hard poly that I appropriated from work which is good for the guard now, I just like OEM parts and the carbon look. I am just waiting now for my new parts. (thomson stem and seatpost, 8" disk and 2.35 nevegal for the front, ODI Rogue grips)

I do like the look of the checked plate guard!

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    I just picked up the Trance 1 with Trance 2 parts. Did'nt like the color of the Trance 2 (burnt orange) so the owner of my lbs traded frames to make the sale with me. I love the white with all the black parts. I'll post some pics later.
    What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just picked up the Trance 1 with Trance 2 parts. Did'nt like the color of the Trance 2 (burnt orange) so the owner of my lbs traded frames to make the sale with me. I love the white with all the black parts. I'll post some pics later.
    What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?
    It just protects the shock shaft from debris and scratching,rode a while without it and didnt have any problems,but can see how the shaft could easily get scratched.Not good with air shocks

May contain nuts
    ...What's with the bash guards for the Reign? Clearance issues?
    Look back at the shock from the lowest point of view at the front wheel. You'll see plenty of exposed shock shaft, even on the orig Trance frame. Guess where stones are gonna hit first...

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I know about the exposed shock shaft. Giant is sending out the carbon shock cover free to lbs. If anyone is being charged for this then they are being ripped off. Here are a few pics of the area. Can you say Holy Crap Batman. WTF were they thinking. Same thing on the specs Stumpjumpers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Is this really a big problem with the Stumpjumpers too, except with the rear wheel blasting the shock. The fsr has been in production many years so I can't imagine it to be too bad.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by fillmore
    Is this really a big problem with the Stumpjumpers too, except with the rear wheel blasting the shock. The fsr has been in production many years so I can't imagine it to be too bad.
    Sure the FSR shock isn't in a very hygenic position either, but it's worse directly off the front wheel. On the FSR the tread has to carry the stone 3/4 rotation and then fling it forward... Look at a well used frame, the biggest dings are on the lower section of the downtube.

G should have factory fitted plates for the 06, and 05 frames...

I know about the exposed shock shaft. Giant is sending out the carbon shock cover free to lbs. If anyone is being charged for this then they are being ripped off.
    Giant USA is not providing "Free" shock covers for Trance or Reign bikes. The shock cover is an aftermarket item. Any bikes in the future that come with the shock cover are due to a running change.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Guards are not free

As others have noted, my LBS confirms that the shock will not be free to 06 owners. My LBS was quoted $65 as the price from Giant. I will pass; I may try the Lizard boot for the shock (have it, but have not installed it). I have had the bike ~2 months, and the shock is actually staying fairly clean.

My LBS said they might be able to swipe a guard for my 06 Reign 1 if the new models come with them.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    That's bad news I was told it would be free from Giant. I hope my lbs will honor what he said. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Here are a few pics of the area. Can you say Holy Crap Batman. WTF were they thinking.

Yikes! Thanks for posting the excellent pics Uberman. I'm shopping for a full susp. (I can't take the pounding of hardtails offroad any more) and the Trance/Reign bikes were on my short list. I rejected the Stumpy because I thought the shock column was too exposed to dirt (which in my opinion is the biggest threat to shock life) but it's well protected compared to this.

I guess the easy access to the o-ring would ease setup, but I don't think the shock will last with this exposure.

I wonder how well the mudguard will hold up to log crossings and similar abuse. Bet this design will be discarded next year, if not before.

I'm gonna look elsewhere.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Twister

I guess the easy access to the o-ring would ease setup, but I don't think the shock will last with this exposure.

I wonder how well the mudguard will hold up to log crossings and similar abuse. Bet this design will be discarded next year, if not before.

I wouldn't be surprised if Giant changed the frame again. You bring up another good point about the mud guard. I hope it will last. I still beleive the Trance is the perfect bike for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I wouldn't be surprised if Giant changed the frame again. You bring up another good point about the mud guard. I hope it will last. I still beleive the Trance is the perfect bike for me.
    As told by the Giant rep is that they WILL be coming on the newer batch of bicycles but the early models did not get them. You can try to get your local Giant dealer to throw one in the deal because he knows that the newer batch will have the shock guard and can't have a bike with the guard next to one that does'nt. Which bike will the customer buy?

Dan Mitchell

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    in Quebec the mud guard is free

May contain nuts
    Yikes! Thanks for posting the excellent pics Uberman. I'm shopping for a full susp. (I can't take the pounding of hardtails offroad any more) and the Trance/Reign bikes were on my short list. I rejected the Stumpy because I thought the shock column was too exposed to dirt (which in my opinion is the biggest threat to shock life) but it's well protected compared to this.

Meh, 06 guard should last, it's carbon. Made this one for the 05 frame from 1.5mm alum sheet, weighs < 30g with powdercoat... Keeps shite off the pivot/bush too.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by la chèvre
    in Quebec the mud guard is free
    Glad to hear that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nicely done ,Haggis.Very Clean

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I still beleive the Trance is the perfect bike for me.

I saw the pic of your rig in the other thread, Uberman, and it does look sweet!

I'm not into the burnt orange color either. If I could get a Trance 1 frame with the kit from the 2 for the price of the 2, I would be sorely tempted in spite of my misgivings about the shock exposure.

Was there an upcharge to do the switch?

For $2200.00 bucks you should be able to get whatever color floats your boat!

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    I saw the pic of your rig in the other thread, Uberman, and it does look sweet!

I'm not into the burnt orange color either. If I could get a Trance 1 frame with the kit from the 2 for the price of the 2, I would be sorely tempted in spite of my misgivings about the shock exposure.

Was there an upcharge to do the switch?

!
    No upcharge at all. It happened when I said I didn't like the color of the Trance 2. lbs owner said the colour really doesn't matter and everyone who saw it liked it. I said to him, if colour doesn't matter then give me your white frame and you take the Burnt Orange and I'll buy it right now. So he did, and we're both happy. He did say the black componets made the white look much better. I agree. I'm very happy with the end result. I also really liked the Trance 3 Blue, but the Trance 1 was his bike and he would not swap with the Trance 3.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Giant web site now has pics of the bikes with the guard installed. It looks good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Meh, 06 guard should last, it's carbon.[/IMG]
    I'm not so sure. Carbon is incredibly strong in terms of strength-to-weight in bending loads, but it isn't very tough. Impact loads tend to cause it to shatter as several US astronauts found out a couple years ago.

It is also quite susceptable to abrasion damage.

It's not going to cause a crash if it fails in this application but if it's 40 bucks a pop I'd hate to have to buy many of them.
    Last edited by Twister; 03-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not so sure. Carbon is incredibly strong in terms of strength-to-weight in bending loads, but it isn't very tough. Impact loads tend to cause it to shatter as several US astronauts found out a couple years ago.

It is also quite susecptable to abrasion damage.

It's not going to cause a crash if it fails in this application but if it's 40 bucks a pop I'd hate to have to buy many of them.
    The gaurd seams to be very stong,also I dont think we will be coming back throught the earths atmosphere at 22000 mph at 3000 degrees F., Some maybe fast but not that fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    The gaurd seams to be very stong,also I dont think we will be coming back throught the earths atmosphere at 22000 mph at 3000 degrees F., Some maybe fast but not that fast.
    Ahhh,, the damage to the shuttle occured at normal temperature during the early part of the boost phase when a piece of foam, much softer than a rock or log, banged into the carbon leading edge of the wing at a relatively low velocity. Not bicycle speed, but not thousands of MPH either. The heat from reentry then entered the existing hole and destroyed the vehicle.

But let's not quibble. I'm guessing that under severe use, like rolling over logs or banging into a big rock, the part will sometimes be damaged or destroyed. Since its not a load bearing part, it won't cause anything catastrophic to happen. As a mud guard, it should perform very well. If you use it as a skid plate don't be surprised if you break it.

But I could be wrong.

On the other hand, the Maestro bikes are all superb values in my view. Really excellent bikes for a reasonable amount of money. Now that I've seen pics of the bikes with the guard in place I've put them back on my short list.
    Last edited by Twister; 03-04-2006 at 02:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ahhh,, the damage to the shuttle occured at normal temperature during the early part of the boost phase when a piece of foam, much softer than a rock or log, banged into the carbon leading edge of the wing at a relatively low velocity. Not bicycle speed, but not thousands of MPH either. The heat from reentry then entered the existing hole and destroyed the vehicle.

But let's not quibble. I'm guessing that under severe use, like rolling over logs or banging into a big rock, the part will sometimes be damaged or destroyed. Since its not a load bearing part, it won't cause anything catastrophic to happen. As a mud guard, it should perform very well. If you use it as a skid plate don't be surprised if you break it.

But I could be wrong.

On the other hand, the Maestro bikes are all superb values in my view. Really excellent bikes for a reasonable amount of money. Now that I've seen pics of the bikes with the guard in place I've put them back on my short list.
    The temp during the morning of the launch was 26 F,the "soft" foam was frozen to minus 400 F to keep to fuel stabil,at that temp the foam insulation is as hard as rock.Just watched the Discovery doc on it.Ill let you know if I brake mine,Ill try my best this Sunday

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My riding buddys getting his new Reign on Wednesday I chased Giant UK up about the shock guard = they didnt even know about it! Except for importing one from the U.S. or amking one - dunno what he'l do!

mtbr member
    LOL Giant UK are about as useful as a third nipple.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004

Do you have a link with the pics of the mud guard in place.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Sorry for the bad pic,to lazy to get the good camera

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Check out the Giant web site. Look at the mountain bike frames page.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Check out the Giant web site. Look at the mountain bike frames page.
    Will do Twister. Thanks.

Trance 06
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    Sorry for the bad pic,to lazy to get the good camera
    Good enough for me. The mud guard looks great. Thanks for the picture.

In exile
    I love that I paid $35 for this thing, and it didn't come with any mounting screws.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I love that I paid $35 for this thing, and it didn't come with any mounting screws.
    Yeah -whats up with that .I thought I must have dropped them.My computer mounting screws worked,lucky I had a couple of old ones.Maybe they are "Aftermarket" as well.Giant dropped the ball on this one

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2005 Trance shock guards...

Any chances there will be a Giant or aftermarket shock guard for the 2005 Trance's as well?

If anyone knows a firm, I'll be happy to hear!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    @tkrutis

do you know something about a shockguard for 05 models?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Was riding with a freind of mine who has an 05 R3,I dont think you need one on the 05

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i think the pivot/bush is not far away from the ground so i will make a shockguard for my baby. so it won´t be damaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast