Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

REIGN RIDERS what fork are you running?

calling all reign riders! what fork are you running on your bike? what kind of riding do you do most with your reign? how do you like your setup?

i just picked up an 05 reign frame, i'm trying to decide how tall of a fork i want. i like everything i've heard about the pike, but the only potential turn offs are it could have a little more travel, but mainly i'm worried that on a bike as capable as the reign i will be wanting to push harder and perhaps will desire a taller fork to slack out the geometry. do any of you use a pike and feel that you could use a taller fork? i'm also really interested in the marzocchi am1. i like that it has a full 6" travel, the travel adjustments seem like they'd be really handy on the trail, and i don't mind that it's not a 20mm thru axle. but would this chopper out the bike a bit much for trail riding?

ideally, i'd want a fork with 6" of travel and an axle-to-crown height that would yield a 69 degree head angle. i'm trying to build a balanced 6"x6" all mountain bike that does everything well with minimal adjustments. i'm coming off a 4" xc full suspension and i want to build this reign up right the first time. i'm open to any suggestions, help me out fellow reign riders! thanks!

MBAA!
    I would say to see what Giant specs with the Reigns to get a general idea.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by gukachu
    calling all reign riders! what fork are you running on your bike? what kind of riding do you do most with your reign? how do you like your setup?

i just picked up an 05 reign frame, i'm trying to decide how tall of a fork i want. i like everything i've heard about the pike, but the only potential turn offs are it could have a little more travel, but mainly i'm worried that on a bike as capable as the reign i will be wanting to push harder and perhaps will desire a taller fork to slack out the geometry. do any of you use a pike and feel that you could use a taller fork? i'm also really interested in the marzocchi am1. i like that it has a full 6" travel, the travel adjustments seem like they'd be really handy on the trail, and i don't mind that it's not a 20mm thru axle. but would this chopper out the bike a bit much for trail riding?

ideally, i'd want a fork with 6" of travel and an axle-to-crown height that would yield a 69 degree head angle. i'm trying to build a balanced 6"x6" all mountain bike that does everything well with minimal adjustments. i'm coming off a 4" xc full suspension and i want to build this reign up right the first time. i'm open to any suggestions, help me out fellow reign riders! thanks!
    The 18 and 16" frames have quite short head tubes compared to the 20 which is nearly an inch taller. My 18 has a Revelation and I run a 10deg stem and 40mm riser bar to raise the front end a little. I'd expect the 16/18 to feel fine with the AM1. The Revelation is a bit too small for the bike IMO, depending on your style of riding...

mtbr member
    I'm running Pike and sometimes I'd like it to be taller, to slack out geometry - so that it's more stable at speed.

I'd consider 66 Light or SL - you can set SL at 6"....
    Passion beyond reason!

spinner
    I have pike team airs on my Reign and it would be nice to have a little more axle crown length there. Aside from that , I'm very happy with them.

I think on a 6" single crown fork , a 20mm axle is essential. Its a pity the Marzocchis AMs dont come with that , but I havent ridden them so honestly cant say they need it.

Marz 66s or Fox 36's would suit your needs , but the Foxs are a bit harsh on the wallet and not user serviceable.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for the replies. i figured with a tall fork like the am1 (~540mm a2c) i could have the option to slack it out more than the pike if i want to, while having more travel at the same time. doesn't hurt right? well, except the pike has more travel per a2c length. and if i ever decide i really want a 20mm, i can fit the z1 lowers. i just needed someone to give me that little nudge to spring for the taller marzocchi fork. i think it will make the bike overall more capable with minimal downsides (for my type of riding)...so i guess i just answered my own question

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Fox Float 130mm

Price point has the Fox Float 130mm For $299. Thats a killer deal for that fork. Also, the vanilla R for $269 and the Fox 36R for $649. No I do not work at Price point just passing the deals on.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-16-2006 at 09:22 AM.
    Fly Rider

Motion activated
    Personally I'm going to go with the 66sl for my Reign. I though long and hard about the Pike, but in the end I'm concerned that It's not going to be enough fork. Early reports on the 66 indicate that you can adjust the travel from 40mm to 170mm, but you have to do this with an air-pump, so it's not really useful unless you have long climbs followed by long decents. The A/C of 66sl is less than the Z1 & AM and the same as the pike. From what I've read, the 66sl is very, very stiff and makes the Z1 feel pretty flexy. The Z1 can be adjusted trailside from 130-150 and has ETA(??). Still 20mm isn't a lot of adjustment. Weight is about the same for the Z1 and the 66SL.

As someone else said, what ever you do, go with a 20mm thru axle if you want to make the most of the travel.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Personally I'm going to go with the 66sl for my Reign. I though long and hard about the Pike, but in the end I'm concerned that It's not going to be enough fork. Early reports on the 66 indicate that you can adjust the travel from 40mm to 170mm, but you have to do this with an air-pump, so it's not really useful unless you have long climbs followed by long decents. The A/C of 66sl is less than the Z1 & AM and the same as the pike. From what I've read, the 66sl is very, very stiff and makes the Z1 feel pretty flexy. The Z1 can be adjusted trailside from 130-150 and has ETA(??). Still 20mm isn't a lot of adjustment. Weight is about the same for the Z1 and the 66SL.

As someone else said, what ever you do, go with a 20mm thru axle if you want to make the most of the travel.
    The 20mm has nothing to do with your travel. The 20mm thru is going to be much less flexy. I guess it depends on your riding style on what fork best fits your needs. From exsperience the 20mm is mutch better on tracking do to it being less flexy than your standered QR.
    Fly Rider

It "is" about the bike..
    Jan 2004

Check out the 2006 Z1 "Light"

I am seriously considering this fork when I build up a Reign this year. Without doing a side to side comparison, it seems to me like a 20mm version of the All Mountain, which is just about perfect.

2006 Marzocchi Z1 Light

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    The 20mm has nothing to do with your travel. The 20mm thru is going to be much less flexy. I guess it depends on your riding style on what fork best fits your needs. From exsperience the 20mm is mutch better on tracking do to it being less flexy than your standered QR.
    Who wants to go fast if you can't hold a line? So like I said, you'll be a lot more inclined to make the most of your travel (hit big things at speed) if you're going to be going the same direction before and after the hit . Not to mention that a flexy fork can bind, affecting the quality of the stroke.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Who wants to go fast if you can't hold a line? So like I said, you'll be a lot more inclined to make the most of your travel (hit big things at speed) if you're going to be going the same direction before and after the hit . Not to mention that a flexy fork can bind, affecting the quality of the stroke.
    Good point.... I see what you ment by travel and fork binding.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a Fox 36VAN on mine that feels excellent gemoetry wise. It replaced a 6" travel Manitou Firefly...approx same axle to crown as the Fox. My BB is a tad higher than I would like though...I wish I could keep the same HA and lower the BB about 1.25".
    rise above

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i figured i won't need a 20mm cause i only weigh 120lbs and don't plan to huck....and the fact that i won't have to purchase a new front wheel.

the 06 z1 light would be ideal, but it's so much friggin cash. 36 van would be sweet but again, pricey. plus no travel adjustments. 36 talas has travel adjust but is even more pricey and i've heard stories of iffy reliability as well. perhaps the 2006 models are more dependable? i think i've actually decided against the am1 after hearing so many horror stories of the fork clunking, and knobs fallin off, and something about air leaking into the fork?..... is there anyway of swapping in a hscv or rc2 cartridge or something more reliable/proven? would i still have eta? and tas? is the reign a total pain in the arse to pedal uphill with a tall ~540mm a2c fork?

right now, i'm seriously considering an 05 sherman flick+ as they have them for dirt cheap at jensonusa. i have a choice of qr OR 20mm, and then i could upgrade it to a tpc+ cartridge pretty easily right? right? RIGHT? i believe the a2c is 532mm which puts it about in the middle of the pike and am1/z1/fox36. perhaps this would be the "perfect" all around height for the reign, gut feeling.....??

ups and downs
    There's a bunch of online shops that have Manitou Nixon Elites and Comps on sale, some as cheap as $269 for a 145mm coil sprung fork. A buddy of mine has the stock Nixon Elite on his Reign 2 and loves it, never even uses the wind down feature, coil only, no fancy SPV valving, very plush, 32mm stanchions and a standard QR axle.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/136...ixon-Elite.htm

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Comp+05.aspx

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...t&MatrixType=1

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther
    I have a Fox 36VAN on mine that feels excellent gemoetry wise. It replaced a 6" travel Manitou Firefly...approx same axle to crown as the Fox. My BB is a tad higher than I would like though...I wish I could keep the same HA and lower the BB about 1.25".
    Good point about BB height... while I would like some more fork travel, I don't want to increase the BB. The height is real noticeable on steep tech sections when the shock extends and when throwing the bike into a corner. I believe the 06 frame has a lower BB and half degree slacker HA...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Never been a fan of Manitou or air sprung forks but my 06 R2 came with the Nixon Super and so far so good.Not the best fork for small bumps but seems to handle hard hits well.No travel adjustment but I wouldnt use it anyway,145mm is good match for the bike.The 20mm axle tightens up the fork nicely,very little flex.Still messing with the setup to find the right mix.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by gukachu
    i figured i won't need a 20mm cause i only weigh 120lbs
    My wife is a 120lb and rides a PUSHed TALAS. Huge difference before and after the push treatment (She’s been riding for 10+ years and owned 6 or so forks so we have a lot to compare to). So at 120lb I think your biggest challenge is going to be finding something that isn't completely over damped. Basically any fork is going to ride like crap at your weight. I'd strongly recommend getting a Pike, so that you can send it away to PUSH at some stage - they will valve it for your weight. Next best thing would be something with an open bath so you can change the oil weight. I think most Marzocchi's are open bath, not sure about the rest.

At 120, ridding a stock shock is going to be like jogging in size 15 shoes....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Good point about BB height... while I would like some more fork travel, I don't want to increase the BB. The height is real noticeable on steep tech sections when the shock extends and when throwing the bike into a corner. I believe the 06 frame has a lower BB and half degree slacker HA...
    quite true...although I have found that running my shock with a bit more sag than Giant recommends helps a bit in regards to this. Plus the bike seems to ride alot better with minimal trade off in pedalling efficiency.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

AM1 is just fine on my Reign

I've got a Marzocchi AM1 on my Reign2, ant it feel very nice. I've never rode the bike with the stock Manitou Nixon because I wanted to keep it brand new in order to sell it easier. With the AM1, the bike look more chopper, but it still feel very handy on tight and twisty trails.
    For the moment I didn't had any problems with the AM1, the knob don't get loose, no air leaking. The TAS is useless, I just let 150 mm of travel, but I didn't turn the knob in the full position, I just left half of a turn before being blocked (TAS is not an adjustment "on the fly"). ETA is really really nice for steep climbs. TST is realy nice too, but I just use the 2 extreme position, either normal compression or blocked, blocked position is great when hammering (pedaling out of the saddle). No bad noise with the fork, no clunking noise.
    I'm not a fan of big drops and the same for fast riding. I like technical trails with small drops and big rocks. The fork do flex a bit, but nothing to worry about. My previous fork was a Marzocchi Marathon S 105mm on a NRS, this fork was flexing more than the AM1.
    And no problems with 200 mm disk, although it is standard QR, Marzocchi approve it on this fork, and I didn't experienced any problems.

I hope this will help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have the 20 inch reign with AM1 130-150mm. I have it set up as a trail bike in the 140mm setting.

Scuffed
    I'm running a factory manitou nixon elite spv-e fork on my 05 R2.Has RTWD but I never use it as the R2 climbs great anyway. Awesome fork when set right, and a aggresive technical singletrack king. Best of all cheap. Manitou has fixed the tire clearance problem and so far I have had no problems. Otherwise if your''ve got the doe, a Fox 36 TALAS would be good too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You know if you think about it you'll realize you should start over. A) Reign's suck; B) they are heavy; C) they are flexy, D) they aren't good at anything; E) Maestro doesn't do anything, With that in mind, you might want to check out the Seven Cycles Diamas, so that you'll have an edge going up as well down.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by woogie11
    You know if you think about it you'll realize you should start over. A) Reign's suck; B) they are heavy; C) they are flexy, D) they aren't good at anything; E) Maestro doesn't do anything, With that in mind, you might want to check out the Seven Cycles Diamas, so that you'll have an edge going up as well down.
    Nice first post. Welcome to you and your plastic road bike.

In exile
    I plan to run my 04 Z150 SL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast