Thread: Reign Question

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Reign Question

First off I have been reading through the forums for a couple of weeks now and I cannot thank everyone enough for the amount of quality information that I have found here. This site is truly a resource for new and experienced riders alike. On to my question.

After riding on the road for the last ten years I decided to start mountain biking. After doing a ton of research I decided on a Reign3 that my LBS still had in stock and gave me a killer deal on. I made this decision less for financial reasons and more for the fact that I am 6'2 and a fit 240lbs and I wanted to upgrade with components that will be able to handle my weight. The bike came stock with a Fox Float R rear shock, when sitting and pedaling I have absolutely no bob, but as soon as I stand and really start hammering It bobs excessively. Is this a normal charateristic for the Maestro suspension and will a shock replacement make any difference. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nollid
    The bike came stock with a Fox Float R rear shock, when sitting and pedaling I have absolutely no bob, but as soon as I stand and really start hammering It bobs excessively. Is this a normal charateristic for the Maestro suspension and will a shock replacement make any difference. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.
    Reign 3 is that a non-US or older model?

With 6" travel you will get a little bit of bob. You might be able to reduce your rebound and the suspension would stay squatted for longer.

Maestro actually works best with zero compression dampening (propedal). With my RP2 and Float RL up front I find that the front bobs far more than the rear when out of the saddle. I can lock out both the front and rear if I need to, but then I would be riding a heavy road bike.

That being said you can limit the bobing with a more advance rear shock either a RP2 or RP3 or RP23. You will still have to remember to change the setting before and after.

Rob

siv
    mtbr member
    Just curious if they sold you a L or XL frame. Also, whats your real inseam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The bike is an older model 06. When I decided on the Reign I found out that my shop had one in stock that they had received for Demos and never used. I saw them take it out of the wrapping lol.

It is a 20in frame, I rode M,L, and XL and the Large definately fit me best. My actual inseam length is 38.5

siv
    mtbr member
    Your inseam is four inches longer than mine. How the " F " are you on a L frame? Your seatpost has to be 6 inches above the bars???

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    With a 30' bend in my knee its maybe 2' above the bar. I could have easily went with the XL frame and been ok, but I preffered the manueverability of the smaller frame. Luckily my local shop lets you really test out bikes instead of just riding around the parking lot. Just curious, how tall are you and where do you measure your inseam from? Have you had the same issue with the Maestro suspension

siv
    mtbr member
    Not sure what issue you are refering too. Im 6'1" with a 34.5 inseam doing the book between your crotch and mark the wall behind you thing. I pedalled a L Reign around a parking lot and it felt too short in the cockpit for me. I have monkey arms too so I feel jammed a bit more than most I guess. Im in PA where we have lots of rocks and roots but also good singletrack. A large would be a good choice for FR but with the mix of CC and AM riding I need something Im comfortable pedaling uphill a bit. I think it may be easier for me to make an XL smaller than a L bigger. Of course a real demo would help but thats not really an option.