Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reign photos (merged thread)

378K views 1K replies 332 participants last post by  kiwi_matt 
#1 ·
I have been riding my R2 for a couple of weeks now and am loving it.I ride at a place called Lysterfield Lake in Melbourne Australia. Its the site for the 2006 Commonwealth games and they have just spent big bucks building heaps of new trails.
The R2 suits the tracks beautifully allowing me to clear trails that I couldnt clear on my VT3. Unfortunately I havent been able to take any action shots but would be interested in checking out any body elses.Also any shots of Reign bikes, modifications etc.
Lets try to keep this thread for Reign owners only. let us know your Reign experiences and show us lots of cool photos.

I will try to get some action shots of myself this weekend !

Here is my baby, not an action shot but something to start with.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
finally.......

Its good to see another Aussie enjoying thier R2 as much as I do. And its good to see a shot of a Reign in action rather than leaning up against a wall in someones lounge room !
I will try to replicate the action shots this weekend. Looks like Monday is the day (got to love these long weekends !)
Are there any overseas shots out there, show us what you can do in the U.S or Europe.

#5 ·
Hey Guys nice shots!

My buddy just got a Reign 2. Still trying to get it dialed in. I was wondering if you guys could post what your settings are for the front and rear shocks. Especially what you weigh and how much pressure your putting in the main chamber and the SPV chamber of the 3-way.

Thanks, BTW that bike is lustworty!

Pho'dUP

#7 ·
R2 settings

I weigh 73kgs (160 lbs) fully dressed ready to ride including camelbak. On the rear shock the main chamber is set at 115 psi with spv at 80. The front fork spv is set at 50 psi. These settings are still being played around with a little but I reckon its pretty close. I seem to get excellent climbing and pedalling efficiency with great control and plushness on the down hills. Even after 3 to 4 foot drops, the o ring is still a good 20mm from the end of the piston.

I had a 2004 VT3 before the R2 and i had the settings at 140psi in the main and 110psi in the spv to get a similar, but not as effecient response.

#8 ·
sicwombat said:
I weigh 73kgs (160 lbs) fully dressed ready to ride including camelbak. On the rear shock the main chamber is set at 115 psi with spv at 80. The front fork spv is set at 50 psi. These settings are still being played around with a little but I reckon its pretty close. I seem to get excellent climbing and pedalling efficiency with great control and plushness on the down hills. Even after 3 to 4 foot drops, the o ring is still a good 20mm from the end of the piston.

I had a 2004 VT3 before the R2 and i had the settings at 140psi in the main and 110psi in the spv to get a similar, but not as effecient response.
I'm still playing around with mine, but I weigh 80kgs (176lbs) and have the main chamber set to 145psi, which is still probably not enough, but I like a lot of sag at the moment. In the picture above, coming down the hill, I hit the bottom and got full compression out of the front and rear (at least it looks that way when freeze framing the video), so I could definately do with some more air in there. I have the SPV set to 50psi (again cos I like it soft) and still don't get much bob, if any. I also have the front forks (nixon with spv) set to 50psi in the SPV chamber. Thats what it's at at the moment, but may very well change as I explore what the different settings feel like.

#9 ·
I just picked my R2 up today :) I havnt messed with the settings much though. Thing is, I dont really know how to mess with them, I couldnt get a good idea from the manuals. Could you guys help me out here? What do I need to look for when adjusting? Oh, and where is the air valve for the front fork? I couldnt find it. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

And about the action shots, Im taking it to the trail tomorrow for the first time and hopefully Ill get some good pics.

#10 ·
strange thing

joshanonymous couse I weigh about 82 kg plus clothes and gear. I ride 140 psi in the main chamber and haven't bottomed it out (the ring on the shock's shaft has still bout 1 cm to move) on 1+ meter to flat.

Have no action photos yet, but i am taking it next weekend to real mountains ! :)

#11 · (Edited)
spv nixon elites

Barfbike, the reason you can't find the air valve on the forks is that in Australia we were lucky enough to have SPV specced Nixon elites on the R2. I'm not sure if any body else got these. The standard nixon elites do not have SPV. I'm pretty sure that U.S bikes don't have it.

sorry about the quality of the photo !

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
well then that explains it! thanks so much for that little piece of info, i would have been killing myself trying to find it! so i guess there's no way to adjust sag on my front fork? all it has is compression, rebound, and travel adjustment. did it cost you guys in australia more to have the spv valve on the nixon fork?

#17 ·
I am super stoked about this frame, Giant is the Maestro as far I'm concerned. I finally got my frameset built and dialed in. I don't have any action shots yet but I will, here is what my Reign looks like.

BTW, I have had a hell of a time finding a chanstay protector and was wondering where you got yours? I am going to beat the $hit out of my chainstay if I don't find something soon :eek:

Here are some pics of my finished bike:

Attachments

#19 ·
custom shock guard

goRz - nice pics !

nozz - saw shock guard on other thread, nice idea. Here are two versions of mine. The first was a pain because I had to remove it each time I had to adjust the spv. The second design is much better, it allows easy access. Those rediculously positioned bottle mounts actually came in handy !

Attachments

#21 ·
Chainstay and shock guard.

Barfbike, thanks, the shock guard definitely makes a difference and stops rocks and mud from hitting the shock piston. It also protects the frame from stone chips etc. The chain stay protector only just fits. You need to stretch it alot to get the velcro to match up. The brand is 'BBB'. Most bike shops in Australia stock them, not sure about overseas. I would be happy to help you out with a shock plate. Contact me on michaelabdilla@optusnet.com.au. Where about do you live, so we can organise postage and payment, postage shouldn't cost much as its very light weight. The plate will cost $20 Australian dollars. If you know anybody else who wants one, each additional plate will be $10 aussie dollars. ($30 for two, $40 for three, etc, all posted in the one package.)

If any body else is interested, contact me on the above email address.

sicwombat

Attachments

#22 ·
I think I might try to fabricate my own shock guard first, and if I cant get it to work Ill buy one from you. About the chainstay protector, I like the Lizard Skins chainstay protectors, but Im not sure what size I would need for the Reign. The sizes are standard, jumbo, super jumbo, and swingarm. I think super jumbo is the size I need, but Im not totally sure. Here's the link: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR707Y00-Lizard+Skins+Chainstay+Protector.aspx

Tell me what you guys think.

#23 ·
BarfBike said:
I think I might try to fabricate my own shock guard first, and if I cant get it to work Ill buy one from you. About the chainstay protector, I like the Lizard Skins chainstay protectors, but Im not sure what size I would need for the Reign. The sizes are standard, jumbo, super jumbo, and swingarm. I think super jumbo is the size I need, but Im not totally sure. Here's the link: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FR707Y00-Lizard+Skins+Chainstay+Protector.aspx

Tell me what you guys think.
I found that the super jumbo was too big, and the jumbo was too small... So I figured it was cheaper to go with an inner tube. I know the lizard skins look good, but if you do it neatly, an inner tube looks and works just fine. I'll post some pics of mine when I can get a hold of my camera.
Anyone know if the rear triangles of the reigns are the same dimensions across all sizes? That might make a difference as to whether or not the lizard skins fit.

#24 · (Edited)
shock guard

Barfbike, thats fine, sorry about the price but i would need to buy a sheet of checkerplate, which would cost a bit. If you still need me to make one let me know.

Joshanonymous, the dimensions of the rear triangle on a R2 16 inch is: chainstay (pivot to axle) -400mm, seatstay (pivot to axle) - 430mm and 250mm pivot to pivot to close off the rear triangle. The chainstay is 40mm wide at the widest point.

sicwombat.

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
sicwombat said:
Joshanonymous, the dimensions of the rear triangle on a R2 16 inch is: chainstay (pivot to axle) -400mm, seatstay (pivot to axle) - 430mm and 250mm pivot to pivot to close off the rear triangle. The chainstay is 40mm wide at the widest point.

sicwombat.
That was quick sicwombat. I measured my 20" R2, and it has the same size rear triangle as yours.
Here's a pic of my chainstay protector, it does the job. My bikes a bit filthy, it's been raining lots in sydney last week, and the tracks are sooo muddy. But fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.