Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reign photos (merged thread)

378K views 1K replies 332 participants last post by  kiwi_matt 
#1 ·
I have been riding my R2 for a couple of weeks now and am loving it.I ride at a place called Lysterfield Lake in Melbourne Australia. Its the site for the 2006 Commonwealth games and they have just spent big bucks building heaps of new trails.
The R2 suits the tracks beautifully allowing me to clear trails that I couldnt clear on my VT3. Unfortunately I havent been able to take any action shots but would be interested in checking out any body elses.Also any shots of Reign bikes, modifications etc.
Lets try to keep this thread for Reign owners only. let us know your Reign experiences and show us lots of cool photos.

I will try to get some action shots of myself this weekend !

Here is my baby, not an action shot but something to start with.

Attachments

See less See more
#202 ·
My newly built Reign 3

Hi, all, I'm new at Giant forum
Guess I'll show up more often and make some friends here
Here are few shots of my new Reign 3
Love the geometry of this 18" frame, longer wheel base and taller BB than my other bike
The frame alignment is as straight as an arrow, there's nothing cheap about this frame other than the price tag and the noisy, sticky and sucky Swinger shock:D
If you steal this frame for $399 like me, I would suggest to invest for a RP3 or RP23 with the money you saved on the frame
Then you got a nice and plush AM frame for $700ish, still a killer deal:thumbsup:

The weight of the bike is around 31.5lbs, about the same as my 6.6 with similar components

Attachments

#205 · (Edited)
just a frame so far

picked this frame up last week from WW and i still have to save up some loot for a fork and wheelset for it. how does my proposed build sound?

fork: Marz Z1 Light ETA
brakes: Hope Mono M4 180mm front/ Mono Mini 160mm rear
Cranks: Shimano XT M760
pedals: Candy SL
rear cassette: 11-32 XT
Shifters and derailuers: SRAM X9 and XT Front D
Wheelset: Hope Pro II hubs with DT 5.1D rims and competition spokes
Tires: Kenda BG/nevegal combo
Stem and seatpost: Thomson
saddle: WTB rocket v slt
seatpost clamp: Hope
handlebar: LP composites DH riser
grips: ergon
rear shock: thinking of swapping out the swinger for an RP23

i think thats it :thumbsup:

#207 ·
tkblazer,

There are going to be a bunch of pimped out '05 Reign 3's out there. Mine arrived last night via UPS. No scratches to speak of. I didn't recieve a owners manual for the Swinger. However, I was able to download one from Answer. I plan to ride the swinger for a while. I know everyone is putting RP3's on, I just can't swing (pun intended) the extra $ right now. I will post a pic when it's put together: TALAS, Full XT, Hayes, Thomson, 819's and the such. Probably this weekend. I am too busy to do it after work.

What are you planning to do to cover the hole under the shock. The '06's have a cool carbon plate.

Willie

#208 ·
shock guard

I made a cover out of some vinyl/polybutyl/rubber stuff I got at Home Depot - I think it's from a door threshold or something. It's not rigid, but it keeps the dirt, water and grime out of the lower mount. Some people have gone to great lengths to make rigid ones, but I figure they're really not gonna be strong enough to protect the mount/shock from a strong blow down there anyway (except maybe the diamond plate one some guy made). Mine does the job, is disposable, and cost me about 20 cents a piece.

Attachments

#209 ·
Very Ghetto! :thumbsup: When are we gonna hook up at New Light again. I will probably be out there this weekend on the new rig. PM me on trianglemtb if you are riding this weekend.

However, I want something a little more professional. I saw the ones made out of diamond plate. That is a little too much. I am working on something as we speak. If it works, I will post it up.

#210 ·
tkblazer said:
picked this frame up last week from WW and i still have to save up some loot for a fork and wheelset for it. how does my proposed build sound?

fork: Marz Z1 Light ETA
brakes: Hope Mono M4 180mm front/ Mono Mini 160mm rear
Cranks: Shimano XT M760
pedals: Candy SL
rear cassette: 11-32 XT
Shifters and derailuers: SRAM X9 and XT Front D
Wheelset: Hope Pro II hubs with DT 5.1D rims and competition spokes
Tires: Kenda BG/nevegal combo
Stem and seatpost: Thomson
saddle: WTB rocket v slt
seatpost clamp: Hope
handlebar: LP composites DH riser
grips: ergon
rear shock: thinking of swapping out the swinger for an RP23

i think thats it :thumbsup:

great! :thumbsup:

would somebody walk in for me because they do not sell these frames online!? ;)

looking forward the final build!

#213 · (Edited)
my reign 2

Here is my 2005 reign2. Just swapped out the forks to rockshox pike team air with 20mm maxle, new front wheel, sun rims single track with dice roullette 20mm hub, scud amoeba carbon riser bars and odi ruffian lock on grips.
I think i've got the upgrade bug ! Looking to swap out the hayes nines but not sure whether to go juicy 5, 7 or hayes el camino. Plus considering either 2007 sram x9 shifters and rear derailleur or 2007 shimano xt rear and keeping my lx shifters. Does anyone know when the 2007 sram and shimano deraileurs are being released and pricing, or if they are infact any better than 2005 products ?
Im also currently running 2.1 kenda nevegals dtc, back is starting to wear considerably. Any thoughts on 2.3 maxxis larsen tt. Had apair of 2.0 on my vt, pretty good but I think the 2.3 are the sticky compound and weigh alot more. I ride mostly hard pack single track.

Oh, and willie b, I'm the guy with the checker plate guard, what do you mean by the term "a little too much" regarding the shock guard plate. Its made of aluminium so it weighs next to nothing, its tough, durable and once fitted never needs to be replaced. Id be interested to see what you are "working on". By the way if anyones interested i can make some up. $30 Australian plus postage. bank deposit if in australia or money order if overseas. PM me if interested.

Any way here she is so far.....

Attachments

#214 · (Edited)
sicwombat said:
I think i've got the upgrade bug ! Looking to swap out the hayes nines but not sure whether to go juicy 5, 7 or hayes el camino. Plus considering either 2007 sram x9 shifters and rear derailleur or 2007 shimano xt rear and keeping my lx shifters. Does anyone know when the 2007 sram and shimano deraileurs are being released and pricing, or if they are infact any better than 2005 products ?
I really like the Juicy 5's , I've had them on my DH bike for 6 months now , better modulation and feel than the Hayes they replaced. Juicy 7s are the same but with the adjuster on the lever. I guess you have to work out if its worth having or just another thing to break off in a crash.

I converted to SRAM 2 years ago and havent looked back. Just as robust as Shimano in my opinion and less fussy about cable adjustment staying in tune. The 07 X9 der. uses the 06 XO chassis and the shifters are a similar story but with a few plastic parts retained , otherwise they look like 06 XO.

And now the bonus , if you run Juicy levers and SRAM shifters, they fit snugly together on the bars , like peas in a pod ! I think I read somewhere that the 07 shifter / lever combo can run off a single mount....integration ! :thumbsup: The 07 stuff is now available from http://www.torpedo7.com.au/

Your bike is looking the goods mate :)

#215 ·
I have the aussie spec 06 reign 2. I have the 07 X9 rear der. The 07 shifters are coming this week. I will set them up hopefully for a ride on Sunday and I will let you know how they go. I am replacing Shimano XT 05 which was stock on the bike. I broke the der last week but was going to update anyway. I have PC990 cassette and sram chain to put on with the X9 as well. Will post a pic once done.

#216 ·
Sram

it was the first upgrade i did when i got my reign 3. i had x7 on my old hardtail and loved it for the simplicity. x9 is the same, just more bling. :D

Ive got a set of bl765 silver levers to go with saint calipers, just waiting on the hope braided hose kits to get here to hook em up and get rid of the Soles that are on at the moment.

Will also post pics when its done.

Just need to get a hi rise bar and shorter stem. thinking of RF diabolis bar & stem, but might be an overkill

G

#217 ·
One of the twins...

This is a WW Reign 3 that I just built up for my some using many parts from his 2003 Iguana along with:

Crankset & BB: Race Face Evolve XC
Fork: Manitou Minute 1:00
Wheelset: Mavic 223 w/Magura Louise (Hugi) hubs
Brakes: Avid BB7 160mm Disc w/Avid Flak Jacket Cables and Avid AD3 levers
Saddle: WTB
Pedals: Ritchey V3 Comp
Tires: Tioga DH 2.10(f) 2.30(r)

Mine will be the same frame with:

Fork: Manitou Minute 1:00
Crankset: Race Face Turbine w/XT BB
Brakeset: Avid BB7 203mm w/Avid Speed Dial Ti levers
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Specialized Alias
Wheelset: Mavic 223 w/ Deore hubs
Tires: WTB Weirwolf
Stem and Bar: Easton EA50
Shifters: Sram Quarz
Deraileurs and Chain: Shimano XT

Regards,
Jeff

Attachments

#218 ·
Nice fork. I'd get one but the Rev is too good to discard easily. I have run the Larsen TT front and back and they suffer the same syndrome as the Dogs - big casing but no side knobs. I'd never use one on the front again but maybe on the back for hardpack...

$30 for a bit of checker plate and 10min with a hacksaw? Just go to a sheetmetal shop and ask for a 2-3mm offcut from the scrap bin - $0 folks...

#220 ·
Where are all the '06 Reigns? Did people just stop buying them after '05? I've got an '06 and I should take some pics, but I've got a more serious post for you guys. Has anyone had serious health problems with their Reign? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when it works....but i've already pinched the rear break line, cracked the lowers on the front fork (Fox 36), broke the inside of the crank where it attatches to the spline (Raceface Evolve XC), stem clamp won't stay tight, and already stripped one out (Raceface evolve XC), and had to shorten the legnth of the chain 3 links from stock. I ride my old bike as much as I ride this cause it's ALWAYS broken haha. Let me know if any of you have had the same problems....and is their any creative way to stop the break line from pinching....the zip ties aren't doin it anymore. One more thing....the freakin wtb hubs will not tighten down in the fox fork....anyone dealing with the same thing? feels like the headset is loose constantly. Any solutions? man my bike has a lot wrong with it, and i still love it. Can't stop smiling when i'm on it. Thanks guys

#223 ·
How have you applied the ties to the brake line? I've replaced the stock cable stays under the top tube with loosely fitting ties and that's been working for some time now. Instead of bending just behind the seat tube, it slides through the ties and bends more broadly, It creates some new rub zones, but some protective tape solves that. As for the other issues, sounds like you've had probs with your Fox forks, and some other components that aren't stock. My '05 R3 is stock, other than the forks, and I haven't had issues, aside from the brake line. When you say "Reign", I think "Reign frame", and it doesn't seem you've had any problems with that, which is maybe why you still like it. But, keep any eye on those bearings...

#224 ·
Here's my 06 frame, cracked my Azonic Propulsion frame for the third time so I bought the Reign frame based on the reviews here in MTBR and moved the stuff over to it from the Azonic, I could not be more satisfied!! :) Feels like when I went from HT to FS, the Propulsion had 3.5" rear suspension, still a nice ride but I wont be looking back...

(I like the US or 05 version with the big REIGN text on the frame, look much better than GIANT.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.