Thread: Reign O or X(O)

mtbr member

Reign O or X(O)

I'm looking at getting a new frame. The Reign is on my short list. The question I have concerns the ride quality between the 6 inch travel O and the 6.7 inch travel X(O). I currently ride a Bashee Rune and I am looking for a replacement due to some issues.

On paper the XO looks like the better option for the kind of riding I do but I am also considering going with something lighter. The O has the same 150mm travel as my Rune. Are these frames the exact same in terms of stiffness? Meaning are they the same frame, except one has a shock with a longer stroke and a .5 slacker head angle (the steeper head angle on the O isn't a problem as I am running a 170mm Lyrik that would make up the difference to get me back around 67).

Also, how well does the DHX air on the XO perform. I have used these shocks on other frames and was less than impressed. How well does the RP23 perform on the O? I do drops here and there but nothing insane. Typical AM riding if you will.

Would I notice much difference between the two on all day epic type rides with a lot of climbing?

I would also appreciate any general opinions of either bike. how do you like them? How well do they climb and descend? How stout are they? How well do they corner and manual? Ive read reviews but Meh, Id rather hear from actual owners.

Also, either frame would probably be used 2011 or newer.

mtbr member
    I am 210lbs, and the DHX Air was terrible for me on a Medium frame 2012 RX1. On the other hand, my dad (who bought the bike from me) is 180lbs and the shock works so much better with his lighter weight and less-aggressive riding style.

Since you have a 170mm fork, go with the RX. I think Reign/ReignX Maestro design applies higher forces to their shocks than other frames might. This means that you blow through travel easier than you might expect. If you put that longer fork on the standard Reign0, the weight displacement will be to the rear and the shock probably won't perform as well as you'd like.

As I said, I sold the Reign X, and I did that because I wanted a true FR bike. I miss the RX, and I've concluded that a RX with a 2x10 drive-train, coil rear, and air front would be the perfect AM killer.

Sorry for not having any comparison with the Reign0, but that's my experience.

Adrnln Jnke
    I would also suggest the RX0. For a 7" travel bike, it climbs very well. and I think that the DHX Air is a good shock but If you have the extra cash, sell the fox and get the CCDB Air. If your on the heavier side, get a nice coil over. I have my RX0 set up with a Lyrik as well but I switch back and forth between the DHX Air and Coil. You have have to consider the issue with the lower link breakage, Its not that common considering the amount of bikes that are sold. I haven't had a problem with mine but others have, multiple time. Over all though I think its a GREAT bike.
    Ride it like you Stole it

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd recommend a coil regardless of your weight. The DHX Air pretty much sucks. The Reign is a much different bike with a coil on it... and keep in mind - you can put a 2.25" stroke shock on the Reign and take the travel to the 6.75" of the Reign-X.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by moutnbiker View Post
    I would also suggest the RX0. For a 7" travel bike, it climbs very well. and I think that the DHX Air is a good shock but If you have the extra cash, sell the fox and get the CCDB Air. If your on the heavier side, get a nice coil over. I have my RX0 set up with a Lyrik as well but I switch back and forth between the DHX Air and Coil. You have have to consider the issue with the lower link breakage, Its not that common considering the amount of bikes that are sold. I haven't had a problem with mine but others have, multiple time. Over all though I think its a GREAT bike.
    Pretty sure the link breakage was *only* an "issue" with the 2010 model year Reign-X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a RX1 and even at my 150lbs geared weight I still find the DHX Air to be lacking in performance. I'm likely going to a coil soon.

May contain nuts
    I'm 200 and the DHX is fine for most stuff (I'm not a huck-to-flat-guy).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have an '07 X1 (coil). I ride it everywhere (full on XC to full on DH) with no regrets. As far as I am concerned, it is a great climber - I don't find it bobs much, and traction is great. It is a little heavy and not XC bike efficient, but it certainly doesn't hold me back. Cornering = awesome; manual = awesome. If I were going to replace it though, I would think long and hard about Reign + 2.25 coil + Fox 36 vs Reign X - mainly because I'm pretty light and think I could probably get away with the Reign and save some weight, and I also have never needed to run a chain guide.