Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Reign (not X) broken links

Anyone else having problems with breaking Reign (not X's) bottom links? I've snapped two in the same spot on the drive side within the last 12 months. Ride techincal terrain on the Front Range but not really ever taking the bike very bike. I'm becoming concerned that it's going to keep happening before / during bike trips.

Am I the only one?

2010 Glory custom FR
    Never heard of the problem in my region.
    pozdro
    frango

May contain nuts
    Got any pics of the links/bike?

mtbr member
    No pictures, dropped it off at the bike shop right after riding. Giant is replacing under warranty again. Looking at the Reign X pictures, it's snapping in a very similar place.

Both times has happened under hard pedaling on technical climbs. I'm sure being 6'5", 215 and riding almost every day during the season doesn't help...

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Can i ask how much they are charging for new links? I see your is covered by warranty but do you have any ideas on the replacement cost? this information would be for future use if needed.. Thanks! I have a '12 reign 2 and havent had any problems with it, but i have powdercoated my links, so i wonder if that is going to weaken them? I have yet to ride it hard since the coating..
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    When then new link comes in, I'll ask them. I'm considering buying an extra if the price isn't too crazy. After breaking two, I'd like to have the insurance for trips and avoiding down time.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    When then new link comes in, I'll ask them. I'm considering buying an extra if the price isn't too crazy. After breaking two, I'd like to have the insurance for trips and avoiding down time.
    that would be very helpful, thank you! And yes i agree with you, I'm thinking I will also purchase a spare set for the long trips.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do you have a pic of the broken link?

mtbr member
    No pics, didn't get one before I dropped it at the LBS. It broke on the drive side, right where the link curves. Same spot both times.

Giant doesn't sell just the link, only the complete hardware set. Set goes for $100.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    What year is your Reign?
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    As original frame owners have a lifetime warranty, what are you being charged for?

mtbr member
    I've never seen a Reign (not X) link broken, all we sell is high end full suspension in Salt Lake. We sell lots of reigns.

Krispy
    Giant Reign Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP/ Rockshox Revelation
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    Links were replaced free of charge but extra linakage sets can be bought for $100.

Unfortunately it seems to be only mine that are breaking. I'm not sure if it's the 2.25" shock / 160 fork or my need for techie climbing but I'm losing confidence in this bike. Or I keep telling myself that as an excuse for a new ride next year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    had a '10 reign x , broke 4 lower links on that.asked Giant uk to swap to reign frame under warranty, which they did and not had any problems with lower link

mtbr member
    Well, low and behold the new link snapped again. That's now officially 4 in less then 2 years. Any suggestions or ideas to get giant to replace the complete frame? This is absurd and I no longer trust this pos, it'll be down again for another 2 weeks. Not helping training for the trestle enduro this year..... Over this bike.

May contain nuts
    Bad luck, you seem to be the only one with link issues. Maybe something else going on with the bike?

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Well, low and behold the new link snapped again. That's now officially 4 in less then 2 years. Any suggestions or ideas to get giant to replace the complete frame? This is absurd and I no longer trust this pos, it'll be down again for another 2 weeks. Not helping training for the trestle enduro this year..... Over this bike.
    Man that sucks! Have you ever had your frame aligned? Remember ever crashing hard or something? I would look into trying and getting a new frame! what size of drops, jumps you hitting?

You can't enjoy your ride if you don't trust your ride...
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Well the giant store has looked at it every time and only replaced the link. Very little drops on the co front range, just fast rocky trail riding. It's been to grand junction a few times and hit a few 5 plus footers. I don't see anything worthy of it breaking every two months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just broke mine-- lower link, drive side, right at the curve. I've been riding it for about two years now and I got the frame new, an '08 reign 1. I heard a lot of stories about this happening with the reign x, but yours is the only other reign I've heard of.

Hopefully Giant will allow a warranty. Did you contact them yourself, or go through a shop?

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    I find this thread funny. The guys with new Reign X's are shaving thier ISCG 05 tab to use Reign lower links and now you guys are reporting breaking the same lower links LOL.... All this and Giant still refuses to recognize the problem. I'm starting to regret building my 08' Reign X.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quick update-- Had to get the replacement link through my LBS-- Giant would not warranty the link since they said it was "too old" ('08 reign). That kinda sucked, but the LBS was nice enough to give me the link at cost.

Since I rode around on the broken link before realizing it, and another 8 miles to get home after realizing it, I decided I ought to replace all the bolts/spacers/bearings involved with the broken link. After doing this, everything is in good shape-- no play! I was worried that some bearing holes or the rear triangle might have been bent, but luckily the "wear parts" took all the stress.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by James_spec View Post
    I'm starting to regret building my 08' Reign X.
    Why, the '08's are awesome, just a bit heavy by current standards. I'm thinking of building my '07 back up cause there is nothing i've found I like more in a 170mm bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Links were replaced free of charge but extra linakage sets can be bought for $100.

$100 insurance policy isn't too bad. at least it wouldn't totally destroy a trip as long as you have a set with you. still, they should be redesigning and/or beefing up the links. a bit ridiculous people are still having this problem three years after release of this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just broke mine yesterday: 2010 Giant Reign 0. Was riding Sandy Ridge near Portland. A friend had exactly the same issue last year, so this is not uncommon. Hard XC/AM riding, not freeride.
    I'm on a road trip and hope this can be fixed fast in Bend, OR. Any LBS suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just use Giant's dealer locator. As far as I know, you have to order the parts through a giant dealer; they won't send them to you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast