mtbr member

Reign max seatpost height

I have an 18 inch frame I'm building up and I need to know if I need a new seat post or not. I've cut off my other thompson for a good fit on my VT. Now, if I use it on the Reign, I not sure if I'll be able to raise it high enough for x county use. The VT has a hole to guide to on the seat tube but the Reign doesn't. How much higher can the bottom of the seat post be in relation to the end of the top tube?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

Not at all.

You want the end of the post to be LOWER than the bottom weld at the tt/st junction. That is a MINIMUM.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Well it looks like I need to buy another seat post . The Reign takes almost all of the VT's Thompson post.
    To ebay I go!!!

mtbr member
    VT is 30.8 reign is a 30.9

Scuffed
    Factory sticker on the back of my seat tube (16" Reign 2) says 80mm minimum insertion and that's exactly what I have left as the LBS chopped my seatpost to short.

Amber

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ihave a brand new 30.9 x 420mm (i think anyway is long uncut) black thomson that i can sell you for not that much..

about $55 including shipping,(in the US) let me know if you want it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    Ihave a brand new 30.9 x 420mm (i think anyway is long uncut) black thomson that i can sell you for not that much..

about $55 including shipping,(in the US) let me know if you want it..
    Yeah, Thanks -- I'll buy it from you. My email is jaybirdp@comcast.net.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    You want the end of the post to be LOWER than the bottom weld at the tt/st junction. That is a MINIMUM.
    If this was the case you would not be able to lower your seat for tech. sections.
    The seatpost will bottom out about an inch lower from where you said.

The distance from the bottom of the top tube junction to the bottom out point of the
    seat tube dose not change for the different size frames - just the length of the seat
    tube above the top tube. That's why the stand over height is esentially the same for
    all sizes.

If you had an XL frame, even a 410mm would not fit your needs as you stated above.

I have a 16 inch Reign, and run a 367mm Thomson post, so that I have room to lower it.

As long as you have 80mm or 3 inches or so inserted, minimum, you are good to go.
    Or follow the min. insertion line on the seatpost (best idea).
    There is nothing about the Reign frame that requires an extra long post.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback. Deoreo, your explanation makes the most sense. Basically, It doesn't matter where the top tube intersects the seat tube -- as long as you insert the post at least 3 inches in the seat tube. I just think the seat tube extension looks a little fragile how it's designed but it does have excellent stand-over height.

Are you talking to me?

I understand what you are saying.

As long as you are following Giant's guidelines, you are good to go. However, I still maintain that the welds at the TT/ST junction are a weak point when you add the stresses that a seatpost puts it under. For MOST frames, you want the post to be inserted BELOW that point. I have seen too many cracked frames at the TT/ST junction because the post was not deep enough.

Personally, I think my 235lb as# would work over that frame, because I sit and POWER through rough sections, putting huge stresses on the post, but that is me.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Yeah I agree. I'm no skinny as# myself at 195 (all muscle ) I wish they would have made the larger Reign frames with a little higher stand-over height to at least give the appearance of more durability to that junction. All Giant does with their sizes is just make the seat tube longer. I Bet Titus would do it a little differently.

Are you talking to me?

It is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybirdp
    Yeah I agree. I'm no skinny as# myself at 195 (all muscle ) I wish they would have made the larger Reign frames with a little higher stand-over height to at least give the appearance of more durability to that junction. All Giant does with their sizes is just make the seat tube longer. I Bet Titus would do it a little differently.

Giant will take care of you if there are any issues. I am sure that If they say what the minimum insertion is, they know. (or at least think they do) You are the original owner, right?
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nope. Purchased off Ebay for $600. Going to build --- all I need is a seatpost and for my fork and brakes and cranks to come in the mail. I'll post a pic when it's finished (Can't Wait ).............Spec includes a bunch of barley used and clearence items..
    *Black Reign 1 Frame
    *SRAM Rocket Shifters
    *Juicy 7's 8in (F) 6in (R)
    *XTR Rear Derailluer (Rapid Rise)
    *XT 761 Front Derailluer
    *XT 760 Crankset 05
    *540 SPD's
    *Marzocchi AM 130-150 SL Air
    *Swinger 3-Way
    *321 Rims laced to DT Swiss 340's
    *Nevegal 2.3's folding bead
    *Raceface Deus Bar and Stem (90 mm)
    *Thompson Elite Post
    *Maxm (Titus) Saddle

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What is the final cost of the build if you dont mind me asking.

mtbr member
    Let's see...................... around $1800 w/ shipping on everything. The only parts I'm using off my VT are the Deus bars and stem -- also the sram cassette.