mtbr member

Reign General Questions.

Hi all, i have been reading this froum for a few months keeping a close eye on the Reign
    related questions. I am looking at buying a 05 AUS spec Reign3.

I am 6'3" and around 95kgs and was wondering what size would suit. Also, is anyone having further problems with the rear suspension bearings?

I am selling my Iguana and thought id post some questions before shelling out my hard earned cash.

Thankyou all for any feedback.

G

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitto
    I am 6'3" and around 95kgs and was wondering what size would suit. Also, is anyone having further problems with the rear suspension bearings?
    I'm also 6'3" (1m89) and 20" fit me just fine. I like short bike, I think 21" will be too big for me, and 18" too small!
    I didn't have any problems with the bearings after 3 months of use (around 3 times a week with long downhill sections)

Jess

spinner
    I'm 6ft and ride a 20". The 18" felt a tad small for me , so a 20" will be spot on for you I think.

No bearing problems for me yet , I've had the bike for almost 3 months and ride on average 30 - 40 ks per week on trails with some pretty rough sections.

You'll love it !

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks for the replys.

Will keep you all posted when i get it shortly.

G

mtbr member
    I am also 6'3" - I thought it is not that common! and have 20" frame and it fits me just fine. I do not think it's short like someone mentioned, maybe relatively short for that size but.... I don't know
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Cool, I am used to Hayes Sole hydro's, they do the job for me as i had them on my Iguana.
    The new Tora AIr Solo with external lockout [poplock] looks the goods. I have only read two reviews so far and both look promising.

The Reign 3 looks like a good platform to start with and upgrade the forks/brakes later down the track if need be. I will however upgrade the shifters/rear derailer to X-9 as soon as. I got too used to the X-7 and just love the thumb shift principal.

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback.

G

MBAA!
    Wait are you using X7 grip shifters?
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    No im currently using SRAM x-7 thumb shifters similar to rapidfire, but heaps better to use.

the AUS 05/06 Reign comes with shimano LX, but the Trance come with Sram gear

Oh well, you cant have it all i guess.

G

MTB B'dos
    Dunno, diff bike and all - Trance - but I'm 6' 2 1/2" with a 35" inseam and I ride a XL/22" Trance. I find it fits nice and is very stable (although I had no way of trying any diff sizes) Only thing geometry wise is I've changed the stem from a 120mm to a 100mm reversed/upside down (so with that maybe equal to a 110 stem)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Thanks to you all, just placed an order with the local LBS for a Reign3,

now begins 6 weeks of torture waiting for the new arrival.

G

Scuffed
    Aw man, my 05 Reign 2 is in the shop getting its Manitou Nixon elites looked at. Bike is brand new and I have only had it for 2 weeks.Had to search the country (New Zealand) for it as I wanted a Reign 2 and the 2005 model. It was the only one left. They have plenty of 1's and 3's. I was going to have to wait till Feb next year for a 2006 Reign 2 , but I just couldn't wait that long. Now it' s torture waiting for it to get fixed. Has been a week now and the bike tech is getting sick of me popping in - Is it fixed yet, is it fixed yet. Man, I am getting withdrawal syptoms. Uncontrollable internet surfing for Reign reviews and stuff, fingering through Mtb mags, cold sweats. It has teased me for 2 weeks then deserted me. Come back my sweet!!

Go the Reign

mtbr member

waiting rant.

I'm guessing you're mtbdirt.com.au Pitto

Nice choice of bike... I'm in the same boat as you, I orded my bike about the same time-waiting for my 06 Trance 2 to arrive. I called my LBS a couple days ago. Giant Aust said they're due to arrive in Melbourne on Monday the 19th of Dec and should be distributed in that week- hopefully before Xmas

What's frustrating for me is that Sram X7 is on Trance 3... Sram X.0 is on Trance 1... but Trance 2 is left with Shimano XT- Where is the bloody Sram X.9?!?!?!? Not that there's anything bad about XT, but I do like Sram quite a bit now after riding my mates' bikes. Not only that, but it's "high normal" shifting (exact opposite of the Shimano I'm used to). Ah well - can't have it all- they're both still great bikes for the money.

mtbr member
    Yeah Mate, its me.

i wonder if the reigns will be in that shipment?

G

mtbr member
    im looking into getting a reign. What do you guys think about its pedaling platform? I hear praise about its descending abilities...but does it climb?

Scuffed
    Hell yeah!! As good as my Jamis Dakar XC bike and my partners Trance. I have a nixon so I drop it down to 115mm from 145mm for climbing but it goes just as good up high. No bob either with the manitou 3 way swinger when seated climbing. I haven't ever stood up and stomped it uphill so I can't comment on that as I don't need to, it climbs just as good seated. But that's just my opinion! As for downhill........raaahhhhhhh!!!!!!

mtbr member
    When we called up Giant they said that a whole bunch of bikes were coming in. I definitely know that the Reign 2's are coming with that shipment because Jay (LBS guy) is getting one for his son.

mtbr member
    Its killing me not having a bike. i got told mid january.

i cant wait that long.

but its going to be a sweet ride down rollercoaster out at Nerang that for sure.

G

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Issues?
    im looking into getting a reign. What do you guys think about its pedaling platform? I hear praise about its descending abilities...but does it climb?

I've just built up a Reign frame so I haven't got a lot of time on the bike... but some initial impressions: (BTW I'm coming off a 4" Turner Burner and a 6" Turner Afterburner)

Seated pedaling - excellent (even with minimal SPV (50psi)) I can't get any bob.
    Standing - it relies on SPV and chain torque to reduce bobbing. With 60psi in SPV chamber and 110 in the main, standing pedaling is great in the big ring, very minimal bob. It still bobs a fair amount in the granny though, but this all comes down to how smooth you can be.

What impresses me the most though is how well it rolls over square edge stuff. This is a BIG plus for a lot of the Front Range climbs in Colorado.

Frame feels pretty stiff too.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Sweet, sounds like it climbs pretty good. So with a high spv you can still get enough power out of the sadle? Ive had a chance to take an old(but nice) Giant AC for a ride and the moment you got out of the seat you could feel a huge power drain. But that was before the Maestro design wasnt it.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Issues?
    So with a high spv you can still get enough power out of the sadle? Ive had a chance to take an old(but nice) Giant AC for a ride and the moment you got out of the seat you could feel a huge power drain. But that was before the Maestro design wasnt it.
    Well it's a trade off - higher SPV means less small bump compliance. I tried 70 psi in the SPV chamber and I pedaled better, but it bounced off stuff at low to medium speed rather than tracking the ground. I'll have to experiment further, but 60 PSI dosen't seem to bad a trade off.

You will still notice significant bob if you're in your lowest gear combination and you have to get out of the saddle. This is a good thing though, as the bike is maintaining traction and not locking out the suspension with chain torque (which is how you counter bob). The fact is though, you don't sprint (much) in your granny - you're in the saddle most of the time, unless there is something really technical in which case you WANT traction. However when you're in your big/middle ring, the bike does use chain torque to counter bobbing. So the net result is that you can sprint for that jump etc.

Maybe others who have had more time on the bike could comment. This is just my initial impression with out a lot of fine tuning.

All in all though, it seems like a good trade off. The only obvious problem is that it looks like you can't fit the DHX shock.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    finally got my Reign 3 a couple of days ago. ive changed over the drivetrain to Sram x9, pedals to CB Mallets and changed the tyres to Geax Sturdy 26x 2.25's.

ive had it out on a couple of rides so far and its awsome. coming from a hardtail, its just so much nicer to ride, and the body doesnt ache afterwards.

i have adjusted the way the hydro line runs past the rocker arm, i iwll post pics when i get time. it may help others Reign owners. i will get my other LBS to shorten the shifter cables,hydro lines as they are way too long IMHO.

heres some pics.

G

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitto
    finally got my Reign 3 a couple of days ago.
    Hope you got it for a good price. I just helped a friend buy an '05. They were being blown out for $999 (USD), so we upgraded his front fork to a TALAS RLC and swapped the Swinger 3-way for a Fox RP3. Got the whole deal for around $1500 (USD) before tax. Makes me wish I could afford a second bike!

Cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 0