mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Reign - Faith? Something is missing.

Don't you feel something is missing between Reign and Faith? I mean the Reign is for all-mountain with linear spring rate, integrated headset - cannot be used for hucking, too damn light, and giant clearly states that it's for all-mountain riding, nothing extreme.
    The Faith is built to last, but is way too heavy, heavier than most FR frames, has a tall BB, tall center of gravity and tall standower. Too much of a bike for my taste.
    I am missing something like the SC Nomad, that is meant to be ridden hard, will take big drops, but is light, and has a quicker handling. I can imagine something like a blury Reign with stronger tubeset, FSA Pig headset like on the Faiths and an inch more travel on the rear possibly more progressive. Just look at what the guys did at Specialized. The SX trail is a real hit.

DH on a HT
    i would say go with a Giant AC.....there are still some available from 05 but is being replaced in 06 with the Pistol........
    Check me out...

Oneal/Azonic, e.13, Hayes, ODI grips, SIXSIXONE

Motion activated
    Maybe take a look at the Iron Horse 7point bikes?

Seems like the Reign isn't far off the Nomad. They weigh about the same, travel is 1/2 an inch less on the Reign. But the biggest thing holding the Reign back is that no coil or adjustable bottom out shocks will fit. The swinger does fell pretty linear, but I wonder what PUSH could do with an RP3?

Regardless, it's a 6" travel bike which means that you can drop it 5-6 feet as long as you have a reasonable slope to the landing (provided you're smooth) and even more if you've got a nice steep tranny. But yeah, not the best bike for full time hucking

This guy is going pretty big on his Reign:

Nomad or Reign or longer travel bike???
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

In exile
    I talked to Darren at Push a couple of weeks ago with some questions. I plan to send my RP3 to them. He said that they blow through the travel in the middle of the stroke. He claimed that valving should help that. My Reign frame weighed 8.2 lbs, so I guess I could have gotten an SX Trail, but there was something I just didn't like about it. I guess I don't plan to go huge, and the best deal I could get on the SX Trail was around $1200. I guess for that money, I should have tried it, but am very please with the Reign so far. I plan to see if my Vanilla R fits, just for giggles.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I talked to Darren at Push a couple of weeks ago with some questions. I plan to send my RP3 to them. He said that they blow through the travel in the middle of the stroke. He claimed that valving should help that.
    Do you have the 05' or 06 Reign? Any comments on how linear the RP3 shock is on the frame?

I'm thinking about a PUSHed RP3 and mating it up to a 66sl up front. But I hope that PUSH can valve the RP3 to make it a somewhat progressive so as to better match the 66.

In exile
    I have an 06. Let me call push again and get it sent in. I plan to send it this week, so I should know in a couple of weeks.

edit - it doesn't seem horribly linear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Maybe take a look at the Iron Horse 7point bikes?
    Yes an Iron Horse could be a good choice.
    How long is the shock in the Reign anyway?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by balfazed

The bike has 6" of travel (is that what you're asking?)

Hey,
    That was me in those photos- there are more floating around this website if you search. The Reign is a solid bike. If you change to beefed up parts and throw a 36 fork on it you're fine if you're not a hackfine, don't toss your bike, or crash alot.

The frame itself is sturdy, and well engineered.

In exile
    7.785 x 2

I just let one RIP

Nothing is missing.

Don't you feel something is missing between Reign and Faith?
    There is no bike missing in Giant's line between the Reign and the Faith.

The Reign is a great all-mountain bike, and can be used for light freeriding. I have done 8-foot drops to FLAT on my Reign without any problems, and could certainly go bigger if there was a tranny. Heck, I even did that when I had the Nixon fork on it! (I have a Fox 36 Van now). I'm not sure why anyone would say it is too light--mine weighs almost 35 pounds. And which do you want--a heavy bike or a light bike? Reign too light, Faith too heavy. Just grow some legs and don't worry about it! And I've never had any problems with the integrated headsets on any of my Giants.

As a freeride bike, the Faith is designed to have a tall BB for ground clearance. You want a (slightly) lower BB for a downhill bike. So get a DH, or a Glory if you want the lower BB. Many Freeride bikes have a tall standover, due to the long travel and tall BB. It's the nature of the beast.

A six inch bike and an 8 inch bike. A 7 inch bike would be overkill and would not be profitable for Giant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    A six inch bike and an 8 inch bike. A 7 inch bike would be overkill and would not be profitable for Giant.
    I think your last sentence gives me the answer.

How long have you been riding yr Reign anyway? You guys are just about to convince me that the Reign is the right choice. Actually Faith is out of the question. I measured it myself, it's heavier than most DH bikes. I ride a 2004 Stab with Boxxers at the moment that is suby 40 LBS, and I want a lighter bike. That is simply impossible with the Faith because of the frame weight.
    My heart is sold for the Reign but I wasn't sure that it will take the abuse. I think you convinced me.

Regrding my legs... I was in the top 20 endurance riders in my country. Altough I don't race at this level any more, I don't feel weak

I just let one RIP
    How long have you been riding yr Reign anyway?
    I've had my Reign a little over a year now.

2010 Glory custom FR
    balfazed, be patient
    giant is preparing a bike which will suit your needs...
    pozdro
    frango