mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Reign DHX AIR lots of bob - new shock ?

I have a reign with a DHX AIR 4. I don't like the shock. It bobs a lot even in propedal. In PP it has poor small bump compliance and when PP is off then it blows through travel.
    Yesterday I have ridden my friends 4inch travel Cube with a Radium. Much better shock. Much more controlled and zero bob, massive difference in acceleration (and my bike has lighter wheels). My question are:
    - Is there a way to increase pro pedal and compression dampening on DHX ?
    - What mounting hardware do I need to put a manitou shock on a reign ?
    - What about Monarch ? Should I use low or high volume ? What tune ? Can I use my current mounting hardware with Monarch ?
    Last edited by Michal; 06-18-2012 at 06:18 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    DHX air sucks on a Reign in my experience. Mine is relegated to "backup shock" now. I have an inexpensive Fox Van-R coil on it. WAY better. I demo'd a RS Monarch last fall. It also was WAY better than the DHX-4 that came with the bike. Monarch was *not* as nice when pointed down as the Van-R.

I'm pretty sure the mounting hardware for the DHX & Monarch is the same. But don't quote me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I don't need high speed performance of a coil and I like air adjustability. Current DHX AIR is still way better on downhills than my 32 140mm FIT TALAS. I also need a platform as we have vary steep climbs around here. PP seems way to weak for climbing when you need to push really hard even in a granny gear to be able to forward (and up ). I like the idea that Monarch have adjustable platform. A few years ago I had a Manitou Swinger 3 way (the first version) and it was a great shock (but reliability was very poor).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I don't need high speed performance of a coil and I like air adjustability. Current DHX AIR is still way better on downhills than my 32 140mm FIT TALAS. I also need a platform as we have vary steep climbs around here. PP seems way to weak for climbing when you need to push really hard even in a granny gear to be able to forward (and up ). I like the idea that Monarch have adjustable platform. A few years ago I had a Manitou Swinger 3 way (the first version) and it was a great shock (but reliability was very poor).
    With your requirements I'd definitely try a Monarch. It was *nearly* as nice as my coil going down while being better from a "platform" perspective on the way up. And don't worry... we have some heinously steep climbs around here so I know how that goes.

Oh - and if you get a coil you'll suddenly appreciate the "high speed performance"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do you remember what exact Monarch did you try ? High or low volume ? What tune ? I'm thinking that low volume might be better for me.

MTB B'dos
    Have to concur, Fox does a good job of pushing these shocks on manufacturers as "decent', but I'm taking ti ti's the price that's decent Have a DHXA 5 and yeah, it's nothing close to special and the PP lever only firms it up slightly. If you're looking at a new shock and want air, I'd highly recommend you take a look at the offerings from X-Fusion, get great reviews and a lot cheaper than Fox. I'm personally looking at the 02 RLX as the replacement for my DHXA since I don't do any drops/jumps really over a few feet. The Vector air is a really nice piggyback shock and it has High and Low speed compression adjustment, but it's twice the weight and almost same for price of the 02.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics