Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Reign crack or not I cant tell

[IMG]reign.jpg[/IMG] What do you think?
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-09-2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: picture did not work
    Fly Rider

mtbr member

What picture?

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer

What picture?

mtbr member
    oh my GOD! The whole rear triangle is falling apart, can't you see that?!

yeah there's sth wrong with this photo
    Passion beyond reason!

Freshly Fujified
    Does "The Emperors Clothes" mean anything?

No pic here either. Please repost.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i think you need to get it host by imageshack or something, and with the way that Gorz is riding them, i doubt yours is cracked, unless you when Bender.

mtbr member
    If the photo is small enough you can also upload it directly to the post. Check Additional options->Attach files->upload images below the reply box.

Paint on giants is quite weak so maybe it's just a scratch...
    Passion beyond reason!

"El Whatever"
    If you're seeing hairlines in the paint (not that I can see the pic neither!) and are in doubt, as much as it would be painful to you, just peel off the paint and checked.

Yeah, it shucks. I found a hairline crack in the paint of my Warp and was horrified... I peeled off the pain and found it to be just a scratch.

Better on an ungly bike than on a broken one.
    Check my Site

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    [/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    If the photo is small enough you can also upload it directly to the post. Check Additional options->Attach files->upload images below the reply box.

Paint on giants is quite weak so maybe it's just a scratch...
    For some reason I cant get the picture to load. Yes Giants paint sucks the paint chips by looking at it. I will try and get picture but it's right on the welds on the shock cage. Cant see any cracks but strange its by the welds any way. This was my first ride on my new Reign. I have had about 27 high end bikes and I was not real inpressed with the way it climbs on short steep hills. I have had many 40 plus bikes that felt better. It did feel good on the flats. Maybe I will have a better ride next time. I started out by doing a wheelie and crashing because I could not get my foot out of the pedal. So bloody leg huge gash in my elbow and huge bruise on my ass. So it did not start out well. I will try again next week.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-09-2006 at 03:36 PM.
    Fly Rider

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    I can forward a picture just give me your e-mail and see if you can get it to upload.

Thanks
    Fly Rider

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Paint on giants is quite weak so maybe it's just a scratch.

Finally got picture to upload but not that clear. It looks like this on both sides of bike. The bike is brand new. Even if it is not cracked I would think that Giant should cover it under a paint defect. Whats your take on it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-10-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    Fly Rider

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Finally got to upload but picture not that clear. Anyway brand new bike cracked or not do you think Giant should warranty this defect if it's just the paint? Take in mind this is brand new. Sorry for two pictures having problems.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fly Rider

MBAA!
    Both those last two posts had the same image.

Anyways, from the looks of it (low-res picture :-/) it may very well be a crack. Im not as worried about the weld area (welds are more troublesome anyways, because they are the strongest, the area near them takes a lot of stress), but instead that hairling crack coming off which I beleive this thread was originally about. Take a picture of the underside of that area and the other side... I would be if that hairline wraps around the tube then it is instead just a paint problem. Depends, low-res pic again.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by en are es
    Both those last two posts had the same image.

Anyways, from the looks of it (low-res picture :-/) it may very well be a crack. Im not as worried about the weld area (welds are more troublesome anyways, because they are the strongest, the area near them takes a lot of stress), but instead that hairling crack coming off which I beleive this thread was originally about. Take a picture of the underside of that area and the other side... I would be if that hairline wraps around the tube then it is instead just a paint problem. Depends, low-res pic again.
    Thanks yes what I understand it's usally just outside of the welds were cracks happen. The problem I can get photo to down load if it has to much res. Anyway I am going to look at the under side like you stated. Still if its just paint do you think Giant will warranty it? I have had like I say around 27 frames over 5 years and never had this type of problem. The only issue I have ever had is with my AC bearnings. It would seem that frame is moving or flexing in this part to cause paint to come off in this way. Note the frame came to me like this so know telling who test rode it before me.
    Fly Rider

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Thanks yes what I understand it's usally just outside of the welds were cracks happen. The problem I can get photo to down load if it has to much res. Anyway I am going to look at the under side like you stated. Still if its just paint do you think Giant will warranty it? I have had like I say around 27 frames over 5 years and never had this type of problem. The only issue I have ever had is with my AC bearnings. It would seem that frame is moving or flexing in this part to cause paint to come off in this way. Note the frame came to me like this so know telling who test rode it before me.
    Well I got a High power flash light to look at inside of frame. There is no way to get picture. From what I can see on the inside of frame were paint is coming off. It almost looks like the frame has a scratch. Its not painted inside so looks like a more shinny. As if you took a knife and scratch inside of frame and would show new aluminum. Hard to explain though. P.S Paint is coming off on welds on the underside too.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-10-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Get it looked at by an independent engineer as well as the bike shop if that does fail it could be dangerous.