mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Reign 3 front shock and brake upgrade suggestions?

hi guys i was looking at upgrading my brakes and front shocks in a while. now
    i was wondering if u guys had a good idear for brake and front shock up grade i was thinking of going Hayes HFX-9 HD V8 Disc Brake foir disc brakes and Marzocchi Z1-FR1 ETA for front shocks just want to get some feed back on what u guys have and what u recommend .

ups and downs
    One of the guys I ride with has a Reign 3 and he picked up one of the bargain priced Nixon Elite forks and a set of OEM Avid Juicy 7's on sale online (160mm rear and 185mm front), managed to get most of the Reign 2 spec for about $600 for the brakes and fork. So far he's been happy with both.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 03-05-2006 at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I had Juicy 5 with 6" rotors and Pike Race. I consider Z1 FR to be even better choice cause it's 20mm higher than Pike, bit slacker geometry... About Hayes - I don't like lever shape... Avids are way better IMO
    Passion beyond reason!

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzo1976
    hi guys i was looking at upgrading my brakes and front shocks in a while. now
    i was wondering if u guys had a good idear for brake and front shock up grade i was thinking of going Hayes HFX-9 HD V8 Disc Brake foir disc brakes and Marzocchi Z1-FR1 ETA for front shocks just want to get some feed back on what u guys have and what u recommend .
    I've been very happy with Shimano XT hydro brakes (8 in., though I'm sure 6 in. would work fine for most riding) As for fork, depends on what you want to do. The z1 would be a good fork, esp for freeriding, but for trail riding, I would get the Nixon. I have a Fox 36 Vanilla, which is great for freeride and downhill, but it slackens it out a little too much for good uphill pedaling.

Johny Sokko!
    I have an 05 R2 18" model with the Hayes HD's with 8" rotors and put a Nixon Comp thru-axle($199.99 Jenson USA) with a firm spring ($18.99 Jenson USA) and I can do everything and almost anything I want with that set-up. If you really want the angled head for climbing, go with the Elite (did have small problem with the wind down).

Stoner

Too Kool for Skool
    I have ordered a new sherman flick and it should arrive in a few days. ill write a review when i have it installed and have ridden it
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mazocchi All mountain with ETA

fmj
    Mar 2006
    fox talas 32mm rcl

MTB B'dos
    Can't advize you on the fork, but I can give some help with the brakes. Don't go woth the Hayes, they aren't much of an upgrade over the so1e brakes that would have come on the Reign3 (same as my T3). They are still single piston brakes, so that means that only 1 piston pushes on the rotor so you will have to constantly be adjusting the pads and also quite easily risk bending the rotor.

Go for a dual piston system that is self centring if you're going to upgrade from the so1e's or at least 2 a piston setup that you can easily adjust both brakes and have even pressure on the rotor. Personally I was dealing with this delma a few weeks ago and here's what I decided. Was looking at Avid BB7 mechanicals w/ new levers, cables etc. However when I added it all up that came up to around $225 US and I could get a set of HOPE MOno Mini hydros for $300, pre-bled and ready to install - I went with the HOPEs. You'll be using it for DH/FR so you will prob want something more along the lines of the 4 piston HOPE M4's front & rear or at least M4 front, Mono Mini rear.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a Fox 36VAN RC2 and Shimano XT755 4-pot disks on my reign and I have been very pleased with both of them. I dont think toe Fox is excessively tall and IMO it makes the gemoetry spot on..with a shorter axel to crown fork it would be a tad too steep IMO
    rise above