Scuffed

Reign 2 what rotor size

I've got a Reign 2 with Hayes nine disc brakes and a six inch rotor on the front. Should I put a bigger one on and if so would you recommend 180mm or 205mm. Do I have to get a Hayes one or can I use Alligater, YD Open or Shimano? I don't want to go overkill but is there any noticeable difference between going biggerl? I have a Manitou Nixon Elite fork. I guess I need some sort of adaptor, post mount?? and how would you describe it. What is required to fit a bigger rotor. I don't know the first thing about it. I asked my local LBS who I had just bought my bike off and they weren't helpful, probably cause I meantioned I could get a rotor for half their quoted price, but they said I shouldn't need a bigger one, it was big enough. Last time I was descending a steep downhill (rather slowly) for some distance, I could smell my brakes burning and I was still moving.They still worked but didn't fade (I don't think, but then I'm not pro enough to tell), but they also weren't able to lock the wheel up either and I had to pull pretty hard.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

8 inch front disc on R2

Amber, strongly recomend the 8 inch option. On one particular steep rocky technical switchback section I ride i had alot of trouble slowing down enough. I was always locking the back wheel because I couldnt get the front wheel to brake hard enough. Even with the lever squeezed all the way in the front wheel kept rotating too fast. My back tyre is showing the result, torn off knobs. That was with the 6 inch. Since changing to an 8 inch, Ive now got heaps of power to allow me to get thru the section with enough control and no wheel lock up, front or rear.

Ive found the best place to get the bits you need, is right on your doorstep. torpedo7.com. Here you can get an alligator 203mm disc for about $32, ( I got mine from downhill direct for about the same price) and a 203mm disc brake adapter FOR MANITOU front mount for about $25. ( unfortunately I got mine from my LBS for $50 - genuine hayes, before I found torpedo7)

I sent an email to manitou and they said the nixons will have no trouble with the 8 inch disc. The only slight problem I have fond is that due to a little bit of flex in the fork, there is sometimes a little bit of rub when cornering, although it doesnt seem to happen that often.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sicwombat; 12-11-2005 at 12:15 AM.

Scuffed
    Quote Originally Posted by sicwombat
    Amber, strongly recomend the 8 inch option. On one particular steep rocky technical switchback section I ride i had alot of trouble slowing down enough. I was always locking the back wheel because I couldnt get the front wheel to brake hard enough. Even with the lever squeezed all the way in the front wheel kept rotating too fast. My back tyre is showing the result, torn off knobs. That was with the 6 inch. Since changing to an 8 inch, Ive now got heaps of power to allow me to get thru the section with enough control and no wheel lock up, front or rear.

Ive found the best place to get the bits you need, is right on your doorstep. torpedo7.com. Here you can get an alligator 203mm disc for about $32, ( I got mine from downhill direct for about the same price) and a 203mm disc brake adapter FOR MANITOU front mount for about $25. ( unfortunately I got mine from my LBS for $50 - genuine hayes, before I found torpedo7)

I sent an email to manitou and they said the nixons will have no trouble with the 8 inch disc. The only slight problem I have fond is that due to a little bit of flex in the fork, there is sometimes a little bit of rub when cornering, although it doesnt seem to happen that often.
    Mate,
    thanks heaps for your help and the pic. Sounds like that's the way to go then. I'll go with it.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Hey amber, don't know whether you've orded the 8" or not, but for '06 Hayes (and Avid) have a 7"... basically it's like ordering medium fries- not big, but not small. They're lighter than an 8" but have more stopping power than a 6". I'd reccommend it if you don't ride really really fast, steep, techy trails a lot. It really a horses for courses thing though.

Scuffed
    Nah I haven't ordered them yet. I was wondering about 7". That's 180mm is it. I was wondering if I needed 8" or not. The 8" look cool, obviously work better and are the same price, but they are heavier, but how much really when you think about it. 7" would definately suit if I am worried about weight. But is there any noticeable difference between the 6" and 7" rotors. Am I acheiving anything from going up an inch other than the weight is a little less. I do a lot of technical single track, a majority of climbing and not that insanely fast downhill but fast enough to be dangerous for my relative inexperience. I still need to pedal the thing up hill. Can the Hayes HFX - XC caliper thingy handle the 8" rotors ok or do you have to get the HFX - HD or do those last letters mainly refer to the rotor size supplied with the unit. Hmmmm, what to buy.

Scuffed
    Sicwombat - What do you reckon about the wavy rotor. Does it pulse or anything. I see on Torpedo they have other type diatech which are normal round but the wavy ones look really good on your bike.

mtbr member
    On my list of "upgrades" somewhere after buying RS Revelations and some new lights... I'm going to put a 7" rotor up front (of my Trance... assuming it gets here by next week). Just to clear up, you can put 6", 7" or 8" rotors on the HFX-XC and HD. The amount of force on the caliper is theoretically the same. The force is increased is your wheelset, frame (for the rear) and fork- for a bike like the Reign, there would be no problem with this extra force.

What happens by increasing the diameter of the rotor is that you are increasing the leverage of the caliper and the surface area which dissapates heat faster- more efficient braking- thus being more poweful. My mate's bike has a 7" Hayes rotor on the front he swears by the extra stopping power compared to his 6". Again, there's the question whether there's a lot of difference between the 7" and 8"...

Another thing is that rotating mass bears heavily on how "heavy" a bike feels. Although the weight saving may be in grams, it still does effect your ride, especially if you upgrade components over time etc. the weight savings all add up.

What's great/bad about the bike industry is that you can get almost every variation for every product. So it's up to the consumer now. IMO a 7" would work fine for your style of riding. 8" may be too much. And I like the idea that you should always try to make the weight savings wherever you can. But that's just my 2 cents.

NB: HFX-XC (ie cross country) Vs. HFX-HD (ie heavy duty)... the HD is stronger in construction and heavier- designed to take bigger hits like in the crashes that FR/DHers get into. Both still use the same twin-piston and brake pad size at the caliper.
    Last edited by majura; 12-12-2005 at 02:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

No probs with wavy rotor.

Amber, I dont notice any pulsing with the wavy rotor. The reason I went for the wavy is to match the 6 inch hayes wavy rotor on the back which came on my bike. they do look kind of cool ! As whether to go 7 or 8 inch, firstly make sure if you go a 7 that you can find a 7 inch manitou front adapter. This may be difficult to find, especiaaly cheap. Secondly if you were a weight weenie you would not have bought a reign. For the few extra grams I would go the 8 inch. Hey next time youre in the Maccas drivethru buy the salad instead of the big mac. You'll lose a few grams off your gut and still have the braking power of the 8 inch ! Seriously whats a few grams going to do ? You will also have more confidence to go even faster, knowing that you will be able to pull up in time for that nasty corner ! Its your decision but for probably the same price, if not cheaper, I'd go the 8.